AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2010-07-02, 04:45   Link #1
KRegnard

Video looks better fullscreen on TV than on the computer screen.

Hi,
I played a couple of 1080p videos through the ps3 on my television. The videos seem to already be stretched out very much on the computer, but is much clearer on the television. Why's that so?

Last edited by KRegnard; 2010-07-02 at 06:43.
Old 2010-07-02, 08:12   Link #2
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

hmm, what resolution you using on your monitor ?
Old 2010-07-02, 08:43   Link #3
KRegnard

It's 1280x800.
Old 2010-07-02, 09:16   Link #4
PositronCannon
*Fansubber

Perhaps whatever software or renderer you're using isn't resizing the video properly, though if your TV is 1080p itself it's only natural that it'd look better. Still, the difference shouldn't be huge, and I'm not sure what you mean by "stretched out" in this case.
Old 2010-07-02, 10:07   Link #5
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRegnard View Post
It's 1280x800.
If it looks stretched out, it's because your video card is fitting the 1920x1080 (16:9) image on your 1280x800 (16:10) monitor.

Modify your video card settings to "keep aspect ratio" and make sure MPC-HC says the same thing. Don't let it resize to fit your display, else everyone will look stretched vertically.

And if your HDTV is 1080p, of course it's going to look better, because it's displaying at native resolution and isn't interpolating.
Old 2010-07-04, 10:01   Link #6
mukansa monkey
Pink bug make Amu angry!

Just to make that extra-clear... 1080p means 1920 pixels wide by 1080 tall. To see it at full quality you need a monitor that's got that many physical pixels. Your TV probably qualifies (some HDTVs aren't actually that big); your computer monitor does not. The issue of stretching was already covered... set your computer video player to keep existing resolution.

Finally, that interpolating thing: if you playback video at double or half resolution, each pixel onscreen lines up neatly to one or two pixels of video information. If you play a video that's 1920 pixels of data on a screen that's 1280 pixels wide, each data pixel has to get interpolated into 2/3 of an onscreen pixel (or 1/3 each of two pixels). That tends to cause fuzziness issues. It's even worse when you fullscreen a small video, and each data pixel ends up displayed on 2.24 data pixels or something. I almost never use fullscreen for this reason, would rather have a good image that's a bit smaller.
Old 2010-07-04, 14:57   Link #7
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Interpolation is not nearly as yucky as it used to be. Funny enough, almost all standard HDTVs will interpolate by default, as the LCD panels in std-HD have a resolution of 1366x768. And 720p is 1280x720.

I can't honestly tell the difference in quality when I fullscreen my 720p fansubs on my laptop, either.