Notices

Old 2010-12-04, 04:10   Link #41
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taufiq91 View Post
the fucking internet.

Tell your friends about these animes! Give them DVDs of Toradora to your girlfriend, or High school of the Dead to your frat boy friends this Christmas. When you bring that online PR advertising to the real world, you will see a change to the revenue and sales of the anime industry.
Your recommendations will just expose anime to more people. They do not support increase in sales, which is the issue to keep having good shows being made.

I can talk about anime in philosophy forums or give away my collections to my friends. How will that help the industry money-wize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffleblade View Post
In my opinion you are extremely inconsistent, you claim you don't hate star driver for the sake of hating. That sounds all nice and good and while that may be true your argument for not doing so is stating the score for the series. In this case you use the score to prove your point, "Its just not me hating it for the sake of hating, I hate it for good reason look here its score is low so its natural for me to not like it."

After that you go on to write about Tatami Galaxy and rage against the unfair and illogical scoring, how can ecchi Bakemonogatari be more popular than Tatami Galaxy. Here you basically accuse bakemonogatari for casting a larger shadow than Tatami galaxy a series that in your opinion is much better.

So first you use scoring to prove your point, as though scoring is the solid proof of Star Driver being bad and then you go on and argue how unreasonable the ratings are(even though you don't use the word rating or score).
First, I give you what I think of those shows. Then I give you with numbers what the majority thinks. And we agree on that. And you don't like both. Who is being inconsistent?

Quote:
If you can argue that Star Drivers ratings mean it is bad then in all fairness if I would argue the point that since Toradoras ratings are great and in fact better than Tatami Galaxy then it of course has to be superior right?
Wrong.
Toradora on anidb: 8.5
Tatami Galaxy on anidb: 8.8
Toradora on MAL: 8.6
Tatami Galaxy on MAL: 8.5
They are practically on equal footing at the moment.

Quote:
Star Driver ..... it will turn into a great series even though I can agree that it has not yet reached that state.
You expect to have a higher score because the last episode will be better than the rest of the show?

Quote:
Also here you go again with your "ecchi", since you like to throw out stats and info from large sites here you go:

MAL: Bakemonogatari Genres: Mystery, Romance, Supernatural

AniDB: Bakemonogatari Genres: Contemporary Fantasy, Female Students, Novel, Romance, School Life, Seinen, Sudden Girlfriend Appearance.

Stop using "ecchi" as a term for all those series you for some reason did not like. All newer series might seem the same to you but if you don't know what a genre entails then don't make it a habit to throw the term around as though you know what you are talking about, because you clearly don't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
You do realize you just handed the people who think you just have a hate-on for current anime all the evidence they need, right?
Ok, I know I overreact on this but when I started watching anime in the 80's any show with a few panty shots was enough to be called that. Today erotic humor is alot bolder yet more acceptable, in the same way violence and sex on movies no longer counts as 17+. It has to do with the mentality I grew up and I usually forget that it's 2010 now and such things are no longer that extreme.

Last edited by roriconfan; 2010-12-04 at 04:25.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-04, 04:42   Link #42
Taufiq91

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
Your recommendations will just expose anime to more people. They do not support increase in sales, which is the issue to keep having good shows being made.
But everything starts with exposure. Once the exposure starts, there will be sales for DVDs and Blu-Rays within the coming months. If you expose an anime to 10 people, there will be 5 people that are willing to buy the DVDs and the Blu-Rays.

Sure, 5 people is kinda low, but it is good enough to support the industry. And that also depends on the type of animes. Out of 10, there will be 7 people that will buy the DVD sna Blu-Rays of animes like Star Driver, because Star Driver has really strong marketing & PR selling points, just like Evangelion in the 90s. And these 5 out of 10s or 7 out of 10s people aren't just otakus, they are also normal teenagers, high school girls and casual anime viewers as well.
Old 2010-12-04, 04:50   Link #43
roriconfan
Banned

^ Well, I doubt Star Driver will get 1/10th of popularity Neon Genesis got (best case scenario).
And even so, are we supposed to think that not many people these days don't know of anime or that they desperately need to be given good shows to watch? Are most just familiar with only Pokemn or Naruto to the point they have no idea of more quality shows?

Even so, I find it hard to convince someone to start watching an animated show if he grew up with live action or doesn't get the far eastern mentality.

We could of course go for people who got fed up with western shows, but I know an equal amount who got fed up on anime because of bad pacing and plot twists, and turned to mainstream western shows as well. Mutual exchange or what?
Old 2010-12-04, 04:53   Link #44
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Ok, I know I overreact on this but when I started watching anime in the 80's any show with a few panty shots was enough to be called that

But still going by that standard,toradora has a grand total 0 panty shots (if someone remembers one please correct me)
Old 2010-12-04, 05:13   Link #45
Taufiq91

Quote:
^ Well, I doubt Star Driver will get 1/10th of popularity Neon Genesis got (best case scenario).
And even so, are we supposed to think that not many people these days don't know of anime or that they desperately need to be given good shows to watch? Are most just familiar with only Pokemn or Naruto to the point they have no idea of more quality shows?

Even so, I find it hard to convince someone to start watching an animated show if he grew up with live action or doesn't get the far eastern mentality.

We could of course go for people who got fed up with western shows, but I know an equal amount who got fed up on anime because of bad pacing and plot twists, and turned to mainstream western shows as well. Mutual exchange or what?
Well, we live in an age of curiosity, Internet and cultish pop culture.

Nowadays, people are interested in things, even if they aren't. Some would say "anime's not my thing" or "i fear that it will involve tentacles", but there is a thing called "the key of interest" and it applies to everyone. Basically, when they say they are not interested, it means that they actually are but it's just that they are too lazy to discover it themselves and they would rather have it come to them.

And those with a skeptic view of anime are the best targets because you can actually change their mindset easier through exposure. Which is why focus groups are made, and i think that an anime think tank making focus groups are an awesome idea that would also benefit the industry.

I'm studying Mass Communications and that includes PR, Advertising and Animation, and what i learned is that this era is quite possibly the best era to expose more animes to a very wide audience which is filled with more curious minds.

And with more exposure, more sales. And even in the case of piracy, there would still be merchandising, conventions, limited edition sales, and the usual Crunchyroll and Hulu streams that would rake in the same amount of cash the DVDs and Blu-Rays did.

And you will also learn this if you watch Mad Men, which is a very good look at advertising. If you ask Don Draper to help advertise Shinryaku! Ika Musume to America, he would say the exact same thing even before the meeting starts.
Old 2010-12-04, 05:23   Link #46
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungSquire View Post
i think that there gonna start making anime series' using CGI as soon as it becomes cheaper and easier.
I also would like to see more of japanese x foreign studios collaboration. It CAN yield good results, like Ulysses 31 or Mysterious Cities of Gold as examples I can think of. Of course, this is not THE solution, but it is one of the possible paths.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-04, 06:33   Link #47
Shuffleblade
Dreamer

Quote:
First, I give you what I think of those shows. Then I give you with numbers what the majority thinks. And we agree on that. And you don't like both. Who is being inconsistent?
Don't like both? What are you talking about? Both series? In that case you don't either, I think you made it pretty clear you weren't a fan of Toradora?

You just totally ignore my point and flee the subject, do you or do you not think ratings show the truth whether something is good or not?

If you don't your argument regarding Star Driver was wholly redundant and without point.

If you do then that means that you concede the point that Toradora and Bakemonogatari according to your very own defintion are great series.

Go on, I've made it pretty clear what I mean. You are free to accuse me of being inconsistent however much you like but in that case explain what you mean and don't use it as an escape to leave my questions unanswered.

Quote:
Wrong.
Toradora on anidb: 8.5
Tatami Galaxy on anidb: 8.8
Toradora on MAL: 8.6
Tatami Galaxy on MAL: 8.5
They are practically on equal footing at the moment.
Indeed you are totally correct, I only looked at the MAL ratings and sought to use the slight difference as a means as to prove a point. To once again probe at your inconsistent attitude and ascertain how you think, if you regard the scoring as an absolute measure or not.

This example was poorly picked by me and the difference is not worth a mention however I was hoping you would comprehend the reasoning behind my question but once again you evade my point. Feel free to think of it as an abstract theoretical question and do not take it to heart as an insult. Oh well you've come this far evading everything, I'm starting to realize I probably won't get a real answer from you how you think on this

Quote:
You expect to have a higher score because the last episode will be better than the rest of the show?
Wow now I'm almost getting upset xD

You can dislike a show as much as you like but when people start judging series and claiming to know everything about a show when 9/26 episodes has aired... How many episodes of the series did you watch/(chapters read) before you categorized it as bad and gave up on it?

I'd like to ask you, do you do the same with movies? Just watch 10 minutes and then judge that this movie ain't worth it and turn it off? What about books do you read 20 pages of a 300 pages long book and then thinks "Hey it hasn't gotten good yet I give up on this one"?

Or are you only extremely judgmental and bitter towards anime specifically?

I chat with people like you every season, and almost every time I hear things like "That anime is sooo predictable its boring just the same old crap"... More often than not they eat those words when the airings are over, I could mention series like Kurogane no linebarrels , Kiss dum
, Xam'd Lost Memories, Vampire Knight or Basilisk.
All accused of being copycats, unoriginal and merely following a pattern already set, you are free to think what you like but most would after their completion agree that such was not the case. Not to mention Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, judge that one after 6 episodes alone and think you know the whole picture, gl hf.

Judging the whole of a series after 9 episodes is folly on a grand scale, you ask me whether I believe it will get a higher score because of a great last episode? You regard the 17 episodes that are left for just being the end of the series and that nothing new and great could happen? Then let me ask you, do you believe a series would get a bad rating just from a couple of bad starting episodes?

FGS half the series haven't even aired and you go on judging it as though its already over. Why don't you throw in ecchi as an insult as well that would totally fit with you other arguments.

Quote:
Ok, I know I overreact on this but when I started watching anime in the 80's any show with a few panty shots was enough to be called that. Today erotic humor is alot bolder yet more acceptable, in the same way violence and sex on movies no longer counts as 17+. It has to do with the mentality I grew up and I usually forget that it's 2010 now and such things are no longer that extreme.
You are right, however a series is not good or bad automatically just because there are ecchi. While most ecchi shows are crap, I'll concede that point, sometimes there are gems that has both great plot, amazing characters and also some ecchi.

To condemn a whole genre is narrow minded, is a series automatically bad because there are lolis in it? Is it automatically bad because there are historic themes or yaoi/yuri themes? That is the same train of thought, genres only tell a small part of the whole thing.

Also ecchi has little to do with erotic humour, its about fanservice, the showing of skin. Humor is most often not the intention
Old 2010-12-04, 06:46   Link #48
roriconfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taufiq91 View Post
Well, we live in an age of curiosity, Internet and cultish pop culture.

Nowadays, people are interested in things, even if they aren't.
Hm, good point. People like things without knowing why they like them. I keep forgetting that detail.
Quote:
Don't like both? What are you talking about? Both series? In that case you don't either, I think you made it pretty clear you weren't a fan of Toradora?

You just totally ignore my point and flee the subject, do you or do you not think ratings show the truth whether something is good or not?
My fellow man, my opinion of the show and the opinion of the rest, based on what they rated are the smae. Don't see anything else to write about that.

Quote:
If you do then that means that you concede the point that Toradora and Bakemonogatari according to your very own defintion are great series.
I didn't compare them to other shows, that's why. As I said, I prefer Tatami Galaxy themes to Bakemonogatary's (of which, both shows are again on equal footing in scores on both sites). If Bakemonogatary was far higher than Tatami, then you would be free to call me a liar. As for Toradora, I am not fond of the genre anymore and still find oldies like Urusei Yatsura to be far more funny and innovating (that show is at 8 despite its age; both are practically on equal footing again).

Quote:
You can dislike a show as much as you like but when people start judging series and claiming to know everything about a show when 9/26 episodes has aired... How many episodes of the series did you watch/(chapters read) before you categorized it as bad and gave up on it?
To my knowledge so far, Star Driver would be a 12 episode show and not 24. If I'm mistaken, I take back what I said about being good in the last episode. In a best case scenario it will now have an average first half and a good second, thus already excusing its rate of 7 [(5+10) / 2 = 7].

Quote:
I'd like to ask you, do you do the same with movies? Just watch 10 minutes and then judge that this movie ain't worth it and turn it off? What about books do you read 20 pages of a 300 pages long book and then thinks "Hey it hasn't gotten good yet I give up on this one"?
Sometimes I do. First and last impressions matter the most in short feautures so if the first half an hour does not interest me, I jump forward an hour. Which sounds perfectly fine to me because no feature with crappy start and end but good middle is a good piece of work.

Quote:
Or are you only extremely judgmental and bitter towards anime specifically?
Hey I'm an amateur author that strives not to use the same old stuff in his works. Being critical is a must to do that. It is what every new artist should do for the FUTURE OF ANIME which so happens to be the name of this topic.

Quote:
I chat with people like you every season, and almost every time I hear things like "That anime is sooo predictable its boring just the same old crap"... More often than not they eat those words when the airings are over, I could mention series like Kurogane no linebarrels , Kiss dum
, Xam'd Lost Memories, Vampire Knight or Basilisk.
All accused of being copycats, unoriginal and merely following a pattern already set, you are free to think what you like but most would after their completion agree that such was not the case.
Well, I'm one of them too. They are copycats following a pattern already set. And I have seen similar works doing the same better. If that is not the case then what is it? Again, the critisism is done FOR THE FUTURE OF ANIME.

Quote:
Not to mention Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, judge that one after 6 episodes alone and think you know the whole picture, gl hf.
I watched that when it was over. But I didn't dislike it at any point; it felt great some years back.

Quote:
You are right, however a series is not good or bad automatically just because there are ecchi. While most ecchi shows are crap, I'll concede that point, sometimes there are gems that has both great plot, amazing characters and also some ecchi.
Such cases are so rare, they end up being the exceptions that prove the rule.

Quote:
genres only tell a small part of the whole thing.
No dear, genres define most of the plot from the get go as the stories need to follow a pattern based on those genres. You can't have splatter in a childrens' series even if the story seems to be open to that.

Quote:
Also ecchi has little to do with erotic humour, its about fanservice, the showing of skin. Humor is most often not the intention
Actually they are both.

Last edited by roriconfan; 2010-12-04 at 07:16.
Old 2010-12-04, 09:23   Link #49
Noyemi K
PC-8801 Fetishist
*Artist

Positive.

Maybe the current bleak outlook people seem to have will spur studios to create more uniquely awesome work (like First Squad, K-ON!, etc.)

It's got too much of a market to die out so soon.
Noyemi K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-05, 15:30   Link #50
Shuffleblade
Dreamer

Quote:
My fellow man, my opinion of the show and the opinion of the rest, based on what they rated are the smae. Don't see anything else to write about that.

I didn't compare them to other shows, that's why. As I said, I prefer Tatami Galaxy themes to Bakemonogatary's (of which, both shows are again on equal footing in scores on both sites). If Bakemonogatary was far higher than Tatami, then you would be free to call me a liar. As for Toradora, I am not fond of the genre anymore and still find oldies like Urusei Yatsura to be far more funny and innovating (that show is at 8 despite its age; both are practically on equal footing again).

To my knowledge so far, Star Driver would be a 12 episode show and not 24. If I'm mistaken, I take back what I said about being good in the last episode. In a best case scenario it will now have an average first half and a good second, thus already excusing its rate of 7 [(5+10) / 2 = 7].
Makes perfect sense, thanks for the answers.

Quote:
Sometimes I do. First and last impressions matter the most in short feautures so if the first half an hour does not interest me, I jump forward an hour. Which sounds perfectly fine to me because no feature with crappy start and end but good middle is a good piece of work.
Yeah you indeed right, jump forward isn't wrong in anyway and as you say no good start nor good end= not good movie/series.

However what I was talking about was judging it from the start alone, there are works that seem dull and uninteresting in the start because events doesn't make sense until later. When you arrive in the middle part you are frantically trying to remember everything from the start because it does kind of makes sense and fascinate you now that it has been put into perspective and then the end is also amazing.

Since I was speaking about Star Driver, I find it really hard to believe that you judged the start crap and then "jumped forward" to see the end. Therefore what this means is you judging a whole work from the start alone.....
It was due to your misconception though so lets drop that, Star Driver is going to be 25 eps so you know.

Quote:
Hey I'm an amateur author that strives not to use the same old stuff in his works. Being critical is a must to do that. It is what every new artist should do for the FUTURE OF ANIME which so happens to be the name of this topic.
Indeed, however you need to be aware of what exactly you are critiquing. You can't claim to know the entirety of someones work if you only see bits and pieces, the whole picture can be entirely different from its pieces if not viewed as a whole.
Thus just watching the start and then thinking you know enough to judge is not "really" being critical.

Quote:
Well, I'm one of them too. They are copycats following a pattern already set. And I have seen similar works doing the same better. If that is not the case then what is it? Again, the critisism is done FOR THE FUTURE OF ANIME.
I don't really know at which level to set this discussion, but you should be aware that the human mind is not able to create something wholly unique. If I were to ask you to imagine something that does not exist what you would do is mix things you do know into something "new". However all the bits and pieces you use do exist and what you create is thus not something that is genuinely new, its just a mix of things that exist.

Chimera, dragons, demons, devils.... Its all just a mix of things we know.

Stories are the same, we can't come up with something new the only things our thoughts can branch onto is memories and other "thoughts" that already exist in our brains and those don't appear out of nowhere. Stories come from experiences in real life and in later years fiction: love triangles, betrayal, friendship, envy and so on.

All we can do is mix all this up in a way that appears new but actually isn't. You argue how they "follow their pattern" you do as well, at this point whatever you think up something similar has been done before that I promise you. Also whatever you think up, it will be bits and pieces that you steal from other pieces.
How far are you willing to take this anti-pattern attitude, simply making an anime out of a multitude of pictures that flashes so fast it seems to move and add audio is also following a pattern.

Following a pattern does not mean something is bad, its actually the opposite most often, using a pattern that has worked before is more in your favor than against.

Speaking in "good"- "bad" terms, however I'll agree with you regarding progress, no new genre or alternate way to produce entertainment will be gained from a work following a set pattern but that does not mean the work is "bad".

Quote:
Such cases are so rare, they end up being the exceptions that prove the rule.
Exceptions never prove a rule, rather they disprove the rule. You can't use a logic that you know is correct "most times but not always" as an argument. Its like proving the liabilities in your own reasoning :P

Quote:
No dear, genres define most of the plot from the get go as the stories need to follow a pattern based on those genres. You can't have splatter in a childrens' series even if the story seems to be open to that.
Sorry genres does not define the plot, lets make this easy instead of me just trying to explain how you are wrong it would be interesting to see you prove you point. Tell me, what plot does drama series have? Since the plot is defined by the genre you are sure to be able to give me a simple cut answer right?

After that I'll spend a few minutes finding a series which disproves your theory and thus your whole argument :P

Basically you don't decide the genres before you create a series, first you create a series and then the it gets tagged depending on the content. If you look at all the genres then indeed you might be able to piece together the whole picture, maybe. But from one genre you cant tell the whole picture, just because a series is ecchi does not mean it is not, romance, drama, action, seinen, shounen or some such. What i was saying is that you can't judge a series from just knowing it is ecchi like you so blatantly did.

Quote:
Actually they are both.
Then find me an ecchi series(that means a series tagged ecchi in MAL) that has absolutely no fanservice, no pantyflashes or underwear themes, only erotic humour and prove your point.

When you've grown tired of searching and feel like giving up feel free to follow this link
Ecchi

Ecchi comes from the H in Hentai, thus having a clear connection with hentai, feel free to argue however hentai can be just erotic comedy xD
What that in fact means is that its a lighter version of hentai, a common comparison used is porn and erotica.

Anyhow here you go:
"Ecchi is meant to be a milder version of hentai and features anime anatomy but avoids explicit content by barely hiding the critical spots. Usually it is used in works that have a focus on comedy and is often described as its own genre, depicting the typical elements."

Thus ecchi is refering to works which features "anime anatomy" do you want me to explain what that means more thoroughly?

Once again you cling desperately to your misconceptions and doesn't set your facts straight before you claim things left and right. Ecchi is often used together with comedy or with the intention of creating comical situations but it is by no means a definition of it.
Old 2010-12-06, 14:46   Link #51
Dragon Carnival
State Alchemist

Send a message via MSN to Dragon Carnival
NEGATIVE

Recently all the anime coming out is pretty much the same. High school romance/comedy, typical harem, cute moe girls and that's about it. There are a few good ones like that but that's rare. What happened to all the anime with an actual storyline? With action! I'm not trying to be picky because that's my favorite genre, but really, it's just ecchi nowadays...
Old 2010-12-06, 15:37   Link #52
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Can we be realistic here for a second and take off the nostalgia glasses? I hear/see a lot of people complaining about the overabundance of ecchi or moe or what have you--quite often saying so without even properly applying the terms--and wondering where all the 'great anime' have gone.

Guess what? By now, the anime of the 60s through 90s has gone through history's selective sorting lens, so that most people don't remember or know the volumes of mediocrity and crap that flooded every period, not to mention that some of the anime we liked in our younger days retain a rosy charm despite not meeting our present standards.

Even if that weren't the case, you're still comparing a recent, brief period (let's be generous and say 'these days' means 2000-2010, though I find that unlikely) to the whole of anime history preceding it. If you expect to find as many gems in a decade or less as you can in four decades, you're just causing yourself unnecessary grief.

Now, from an industrial standpoint, anime may well have to suffer a pronounced downturn before their marketing model starts changing, but I highly doubt animation is ever going to die.
Old 2010-12-06, 16:03   Link #53
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Controversy View Post
Even if that weren't the case, you're still comparing a recent, brief period (let's be generous and say 'these days' means 2000-2010, though I find that unlikely) to the whole of anime history preceding it. If you expect to find as many gems in a decade or less as you can in four decades, you're just causing yourself unnecessary grief.
My reference point is 2006-2008 versus 2009-2010. I still think anime productions have declined in terms of story-telling. The current range of selections is a lot narrower than it was just a few years ago.

For the current period, I'd add Cross Game, House of Five Leaves, and Aoi Bungaku to the list I posted in Guardian Enzo's thread. Kuregehime is cute, but not especially innovative. Trapeze and Tatami Galaxy were innovative, but the characters left me cold. I should probably give Shiki another try.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-06, 16:40   Link #54
roriconfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Controversy View Post
Guess what? By now, the anime of the 60s through 90s has gone through history's selective sorting lens, so that most people don't remember or know the volumes of mediocrity and crap that flooded every period, not to mention that some of the anime we liked in our younger days retain a rosy charm despite not meeting our present standards.
True, the feeling comes mostly from the recent years where the quality in storytelling dropped a lot.
I did some math myself and things, although not so grim, still are at decline.
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...39#post3279439
Old 2010-12-06, 17:30   Link #55
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
My reference point is 2006-2008 versus 2009-2010. I still think anime productions have declined in terms of story-telling. The current range of selections is a lot narrower than it was just a few years ago.
In all due respect, I do think that this pattern of rise and decline of quality of anime is something that could be qualified as cyclical. I do recall the first half of the 1990s to have been lower in offer as far as quality is concerned (only a few gems for me in the OAV department) and we have had to wait for Gainax's Evangelion to see another boom in quality series (the likes of Cowboy Bebop, Berserk and Trigun, to name a few). So while we are seeing a decline in term of quality offer, I am fairly optimistic that we are not going to see the industry implode like the "prophets" have been harping for years.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-06, 18:26   Link #56
Taufiq91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
In all due respect, I do think that this pattern of rise and decline of quality of anime is something that could be qualified as cyclical. I do recall the first half of the 1990s to have been lower in offer as far as quality is concerned (only a few gems for me in the OAV department) and we have had to wait for Gainax's Evangelion to see another boom in quality series (the likes of Cowboy Bebop, Berserk and Trigun, to name a few). So while we are seeing a decline in term of quality offer, I am fairly optimistic that we are not going to see the industry implode like the "prophets" have been harping for years.
Yup, pretty much.

The popularity of TWGOK, Star Driver and Ore no Imouto proves that we are gonna see more quality-based shows.

And it's good that Hollywood is also helping out with Supernatural.

And after watching Bakuman, i really want to adapt NBC's Community into a manga, and maybe sell it at Tokyopop and Comiket.
Old 2010-12-06, 19:47   Link #57
roriconfan
Banned

^ Oh now even Ore no Imouto counts as quality? Jeez the stakes are so low.

And what does TWGOK stands for?

And what does Supernatural has to do with the future of anime?

And Hollywood so far is only ruinning anime with dreadful adaptations (and vice versa).
Old 2010-12-06, 20:21   Link #58
Taufiq91

Quote:
^ Oh now even Ore no Imouto counts as quality? Jeez the stakes are so low.

And what does TWGOK stands for?

And what does Supernatural has to do with the future of anime?

And Hollywood so far is only ruinning anime with dreadful adaptations (and vice versa).
Ore no imouto counts as quality. it has excellent writing, great animation (better than AIC's other animes), and the subject is something that is relatable to current Japanese society.

TWgoK stands for 'The World God Only Knows" which is amazing.

The Supernatural anime looks good. Supernatural is a great show, and having it adapted into anime shows that Hollywood might be taking the medium seriously, along with Halo Legends and Highlander. They might be cash cowing, but cash cowing with an anime adaptation of a live action American series is pretty daring, especially since the demographic for Supernatural is pretty different from the anime demographic.

Yes, Hollywood might be ruining anime but that's because of greedy producers. once you got into working as a producer, director and/or writer, you will know the good and bad of Hollywood and many other industries.
Old 2010-12-07, 01:17   Link #59
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
It's a recognized problem, actually. The industry is adaptation-centric (because most studios have no money to invest in their own creations but operate under a work for hire model), and during the boom years when production skyrocketed, they drilled through choice sources much faster than new ones could appear.

Nowadays, they're adapting any manga or light novel that has the slightest fan following, regardless of quality.

Quote:
The popularity of TWGOK
In Japan? That show hasn't made much impact there in terms of either TV viewership or DVD pre-orders, so it's unlikely to be viewed as a success unless someone releases it overseas and produces a big hit.

Ore no Imouto will be a chart-topper, although you could (rightly) argue that it's pure otaku fodder and thus of little interest to most people.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-07, 01:49   Link #60
flying ^

i'm late in the thread, but at this rate i think there will be no new groundbreaking or even gateway anime that will trickle down to US cable channels in 2011-2012

we need another Gundam 00-caliber series!
flying ^ is offline   Reply With Quote