AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-07-12, 18:40   Link #121
Jerseykid

I swear I am getting anime deja vu. Something else would show up on the screen and there was a sound like that la la la la la thing.
Jerseykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-12, 18:48   Link #122
HandofFate

episode 2 just seemed to introduce some new characters to the cast.

seems like a bunch of little subplots got introduced as well, which kind of went over my head, or I just didn't care for it.

Still gonna follow for a new more episodes, because the 'la la, la la la' the thing sings is mesmerizing as hell.
Old 2011-07-12, 19:18   Link #123
Nvis
Where are the good animes

I like all the faces Utao was doing in Episode 2. Some from the main guy and Hibino too, like when Utao was playing the game and when Kukuri dropped the survivors in the river
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-12, 20:23   Link #124
liro
Super Driver

Dear Lord am I addicted to the opening of this anime. I'll still watch it for Utao.
Old 2011-07-12, 22:06   Link #125
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep2:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-12, 22:50   Link #126
Shimapan
Try me! <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Let's watch a few more episodes before you decide whether it is a trainwreck or not. A train that hasn't started to move won't wreck, unless an outside force decides to make it so. In the first place, the term trainwreck is used later in the story, when something is built up and crashes, not when the first episode was bad.
A train that is already badly broken when it leaves the station (as is the case here) can be pretty much guaranteed to end up as a train wreck very soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Likewise I could tell Boobanaut wasn't going to get better.

They'd have to completely change their production standards to improve this show.

Furthermore, usually they try and make the first episode the most impressive, so I can only imagine that it's downhill from here...
Yes, they usually do their best to impress as much as possible with the first episode, in order to attract as much viewers as possible (which might later buy the Bluray). People which are scared away by a crappy first episode generally don't buy anything, so the first impression is quite important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
We only have so much time. I know that this show isn't going to get better, as it's primary faults are in it's very fabric, stuff that isn't going to change as it goes along. Storyline is all well and good, but if your presentation sucks, and you can't get the audience into it, can't absorb them in your world, you've failed.

Mayoi Chiki is exactly what people wanted -> fanservice anime. They just want fanservice anime, and fanservice doesn't need to be very good to satisfy people's wants. No one is expecting shakespeare.

When you make a "serious" show you can't get away with the corner cutting that you get in fanservice, hence why this show is more harshly judged.
True, there are so many things wrong with this on so many levels, it would be tough to change it all. It would probably be easier to scrap it altogether and redo it from scratch

Also - yes, there are different standards for fanservice and anime that at least attempts to be serious.
People don't expect much from fanserve anime, just a bit of goo, light entertainment.
The expectations for serious anime are quite different and much higher, which is why it's getting criticised much more when it flounders badly.

Well, I'll watch the second episode when I get to it... if only out of a morbid curiosity to see the train wreck happening
Old 2011-07-12, 22:59   Link #127
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan

This show is okay enough for me to continue watching after two episodes. The boobs are kind of distracting (not in a good way, they look abnormal), and Utao's "I'm taking a dump" face when she's trying to control her doll cracks me up. I also don't like the CG people in the backgrounds -- normally I can ignore that but here they stand out for some reason.
TurkeyPotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-12, 23:57   Link #128
Sekirei07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseykid View Post
I swear I am getting anime deja vu. Something else would show up on the screen and there was a sound like that la la la la la thing.
it kind of reminds me of that stupid ass music they played during .hack. The one they sang in english. It just got so damn annoying after a while. But this isn't bad compared to that.

thats just the closest example I can think of that would be most common being as that series did get broadcasted in the US
Old 2011-07-13, 01:39   Link #129
Kiyomizu
Never Knows Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post

Still gonna follow for a new more episodes, because the 'la la, la la la' the thing sings is mesmerizing as hell.
Seriously, it's been stuck in my head since I saw the first episode.

I'm not too sure of this series yet. I'll give it a few more episodes.
Kiyomizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-13, 05:22   Link #130
Crimrui
Hollow

Send a message via Yahoo to Crimrui
Nice episode, I really liked the relaxed tone during the Utao's training, especially when they sat down on the field to eat Shino's handmade cooking. That detective's daughter is a real slave driver, she can't even remember her associate's name, thats harsh.
Old 2011-07-13, 08:53   Link #131
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

I agree with Hibino that Kyohei seems to want to be with Kukuri again. When he was training Utao it really looked like he was having fun. Though he has shut himself in and wants nothing to do with it because of his past Lol at rescuing them only to drop them in the water. Utao's clumsiness is great, even breaking the game console. Kuuko is so funny. Wonder what Aki will do next for his revenge.
Old 2011-07-13, 09:45   Link #132
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseykid View Post
It reminds me of certain sections of Akira. A very similiar tune was played when Tetsuo was having his nightmares. It was effective then, and it's effective here.

Pity the rest of the BGM is so poor.

I have to agree with others on the OP though, it's catchy.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-13, 10:41   Link #133
gameboy234

Pace for ep 2 is so slow..
I think the tune is overused.. Every now and then tune for nothing..
gameboy234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-13, 18:12   Link #134
Forsaken_Infinity

I actually loved the second episode. This is going to get interesting.
Forsaken_Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-13, 18:21   Link #135
hoarfrost

I was reasonably entertained by the second episode, which is more than I can say for the first. But this show has some terrible tone inconsistencies. In the first episode it was during the scenes with Aki which were neither serious nor humorous. The latest test of our suspension of disbelief is that, days after witnessing a veritable slaughter, none of them are affected in the least. They just go about their lives and the show goes right back to being non serious. Perhaps I could even by this for Kyohei but the little girl and monster-breasts should be much more traumatised by this.

Writers: Pick an angle and stick with it for more than the attention span of a goldfish, please.

It's also inconsistent that this temple which is presented as some far reaching syndicate can cover up mass deaths but are handing godly power to children with apparently no real means of restraining them should they go berserk. Aki has eluded their capture for the second time in the span of days. They must have someone up there looking out for them to have not had this secret revealed already.

Last edited by hoarfrost; 2011-07-13 at 19:01.
hoarfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-13, 22:03   Link #136
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
After two episodes, my feeling is that this is good, solid, reasonably enjoyable anime.

Nothing terribly wrong with it, it's just that nothing about it feels exceptionally good either.

If I had went into this anime with lower expectations, I'd probably be very satisfied with it. As is, though, I'm slightly disappointed. One PV I saw for this anime made me think it would be akin to Ga-Rei Zero (as I mentioned on this thread before). However, this feels much more akin to just a pretty straightforward action-oriented anime with touches of slice of life. Maybe I'm in for a surprise here, but I'm not getting any sense of that yet.

I will say I like the sibling relationship in this anime. One of the nicer ones I've seen.

Not sure how I feel about the new characters yet, though.
Old 2011-07-13, 22:45   Link #137
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoarfrost View Post
I was reasonably entertained by the second episode, which is more than I can say for the first. But this show has some terrible tone inconsistencies. In the first episode it was during the scenes with Aki which were neither serious nor humorous. The latest test of our suspension of disbelief is that, days after witnessing a veritable slaughter, none of them are affected in the least. They just go about their lives and the show goes right back to being non serious. Perhaps I could even by this for Kyohei but the little girl and monster-breasts should be much more traumatised by this.
If you saw someone slaughtered on the road that you didn't know, would you get hung up on it for long? Kyouhei's big breasted friend doesn't seem to have linked the slaughter with the destruction of his apartment. She also noted how Kyouhei managed to stay calm in that situation and she didn't really manage to. But why is she going to keep thinking about this? It's not as if she saw the slaughter herself or has any perosnal connection to it. Kyouhei is used to that stuff so he was largely unaffected. He seems more affected by the presence of the village entering his life again. She seems suspicious of his past at the very least.

And unlike Kyouhei, Utao only was present during the Aki scene. She didn't see the slaughter earlier or probably doesn't even know about it. Aki was captured too, so why should she be concerned? Plus, I bet she's not completely unfamiliar with the dark past that Kyouhei went through himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoarfrost View Post
It's also inconsistent that this temple which is presented as some far reaching syndicate can cover up mass deaths but are handing godly power to children with apparently no real means of restraining them should they go berserk. Aki has eluded their capture for the second time in the span of days. They must have someone up there looking out for them to have not had this secret revealed already.
Who would believe them? "Hey guys, there's this village ya see that's like a syndicate and has these god dolls they have control of, you should check it out." I'm also sure the village is pretty good at maintaining control, hopefully they detail more of this in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
As is, though, I'm slightly disappointed. One PV I saw for this anime made me think it would be akin to Ga-Rei Zero (as I mentioned on this thread before). However, this feels much more akin to just a pretty straightforward action-oriented anime with touches of slice of life. Maybe I'm in for a surprise here, but I'm not getting any sense of that yet.
Well you also got to remember the other preview (Which was the first of the two) that depicted the girl's side of the story, which was both light hearted and fun.

So coming into this we were to expect two contrasting senses of mood and direction... As to what purpose they're trying to play at so far, I have no idea.

The first episode had a few moments where these elements didn't particularly mesh that well at all. Second episode flowed a lot better.

I think the most interesting thing this show has going for it at the moment are the whole story with the village and how they seem to have a twisted history.

Last edited by Reckoner; 2011-07-13 at 23:07.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-13, 23:12   Link #138
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post

Well you also got to remember the other preview (Which was the first of the two) that depicted the girl's side of the story, which was both light hearted and fun.
As you know, I...

1) Much preferred the "guy's side" PV.
2) Was shocked at how different the two PVs were, and wondered just how these two wildly different PVs could possibly be for the same anime.

My eventual expectation and hope was that the "girl's side" PV was simply designed to showcase the anime's female characters and the basic setting for the show, while the "guy's side" PV was designed to showcase the anime's male characters and the intense action of the show. However, perhaps I was slightly off there.

Quote:
As to what purpose they're trying to play at so far, I have no idea.

The first episode had a few moments where these elements didn't particularly mesh that well at all. Second episode flowed a lot better.
It flowed better, yes, but when you come in expecting intense Ga-Rei Zero level action, and you get pretty standard action-oriented fare... well, for a Ga-Rei Zero fan like myself, that's obviously going to be a bit disappointing.

Still, I think the anime is pretty good, and it might end up being very good.

Quote:
I think the most interesting thing this show has going for it at the moment are the whole story with the village and how they seem to have a twisted history.
That's probably true, yeah.
Old 2011-07-13, 23:37   Link #139
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Much as I dislike his evocation of the name of a certain Gonzo series, I will grant DonQuigleone one point: he's predicting this series will be "serviceable" rather than great, I wouldn't personally bet against that.

That said, I liked episode two a lot more than episode one. Utao and her god are cute together, and the fact she's a child with limited experience and skills give the scenes in which their abilities are called upon a sense of struggle. I also agree with Triple_R that the sibling relationship in this anime is great - I'd actually go as far as to agree with Hibino and say that Kyohei doesn't seem quite so pathetic when he's helping his sister.

The indredulous police were a nice touch, and the mad scientist looks fun... although I felt the sheer "asking for an explosion" nature of her lab was a bit much. I also have to say that Hibino strikes me as a bit of a "shallow love interest", which is a bit annoying since Kyouhei and Utao are great.

Two major concerns for me: first, whether Utao will continue being a Seki. The impression I get is that she's controlling the god Kyohei once did, and I strongly suspect he'll be called upon to become a Seki again at some point. I'd hate for her to have to make way for her brother. And second, what some manga readers have mentioned about Aki being less interesting than in the manga. I felt his "generic bad guy" nature was one of the main things holding the first episode back, and I'm hoping he doesn't bring any other episodes down by feeling too generic.

I agree with quite a few people that the OP and the singing when Utao's god is active are both awesome.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-14, 05:01   Link #140
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Episode 2:

Much better than the first episode. I think that once they settled on a more consistent tone, it managed to help make the episode flow much better than the first, which was clashing in what exactly it was going for back then.

I think that I got a much better idea of the cast then I did back at the first episode. Uto's relationship with her brother was really nice, and seeing how she seems better at controlling the God than the previous episode implied was also reassuring, since that means she is more inexperienced rather than just sucking at it (though her little flops are still pretty amusing )

Other than that ... it was okay. Nothing really amazing, but nothing really objectionable.

So what this show has going for it is:

-Nothing else on Tuesday other than Steins;Gate
-Actual honest to God Dolls Crunchyroll simulcast in my region
-In certain angles, the girls look pretty hawt
-The story has some potential
-Kickass OP and ED

So I guess thats a yes from me
Quote:
Originally Posted by liro View Post

Dear Lord am I addicted to the opening of this anime.
Yes, this view is good.

And yeah, the OP is pretty boss. I hope to see what some of the MAD video will look like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
And second, what some manga readers have mentioned about Aki being less interesting than in the manga. I felt his "generic bad guy" nature was one of the main things holding the first episode back, and I'm hoping he doesn't bring any other episodes down by feeling too generic.
From my understanding, he seemed less like a generic psychopath and more of someone who took death like a game. Also his behavior was slightly more deeming and was constantly trying make fun at how incompetent Uto was.

So I do hope they at least don't just go with the explanation in the anime of ''He's just evil'' because yeah, that would really hold the show down.

Tags
action, fantasy, horror, romance, seinen