AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-01-31, 22:25   Link #341
General_Asakura
Random Lazy Dude

somehow they made the already epic final fight even more epic! my jaw was litterally on the floor during the whole fight!!
Old 2010-01-31, 22:26   Link #342
Haladflire65
*Artist

^ Hm, does that mean I should definately watch the movies, at least Lagann-hen? I'm having a hard time deciding...
Old 2010-01-31, 22:36   Link #343
kamikazex

one of the best movies i've seen in my life! WATCH IT! 2nd part for sure at least
Old 2010-02-01, 00:00   Link #344
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haladflire65 View Post
^ Hm, does that mean I should definately watch the movies, at least Lagann-hen? I'm having a hard time deciding...
If you didn't have watched the anime , i recommend you the anime first then the 2 movies after .
If you don't have the times for the anime version , so just watch the 2 movies .
Old 2010-02-01, 00:30   Link #345
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haladflire65 View Post
If you've seen the TV-series, yes, watch Lagann-hen too. Gurren-hen on the other hand... The last 30 minutes or so are good, but the rest is basically the first 9 episodes of the TV-series with most of the plot-and-character development cut out...
Old 2010-02-01, 09:56   Link #346
Dop
Mmmm....

You know, I watched two GAINAX shows today. Lagann-hen and Hanamaru Kindergarten. Can you possibly get ANY MORE DIFFERENT than that? I doubt it.

But Lagann-hen - that was absolutely outstanding. Just when I thought that things couldn't possibly get any more over the top - they did, and they kept going.
Fantastic.
Old 2010-02-01, 21:43   Link #347
Ashlotte
Clockwork

The sheer awesome of it brought more then a few manly tears to my eyes...Spectacular way to send off the series truly.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Old 2010-02-02, 06:47   Link #348
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
I mean. Wow. I was stunned by the movie. ESPECIALLY at the end. Awesome distilled, though too over-the-top perhaps for most viewers ahaha.
Old 2010-02-02, 08:38   Link #349
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

If anything were ever created that was actually more of an epic win than this movie, I doubt a human being would be able to handle it without either exploding or going insane. Words simply fail at describing how awesome the last 45 minutes of this was.
Old 2010-02-03, 01:33   Link #350
Angelic
Feel the Beat

Okay I just watched both of the movies back to back. I literally just got back from the bathroom that I went to right after the 2nd movie finished.
Everything is fresh, so here we go:

First movie:

My god, I could not help but think this was super condensed and super rushed. They put the whole thing in fast-forward, which I know is the point of this movie, but when they did it they did not bother filling in the missing info. When the Dai-gurren battleship was taken down via Simon's brilliant ground destruction, not once did they mention it was still alive. I am looking at this from the perspective that I've never seen this before. Everybody celebrates, then 5 minutes later all of a sudden "OK, NOW LETS TAKE THE BIG GUY", with no mention as to its current status or why it didn't die.
The whole beginning as a whole was super rushed, I just cannot get past that. The second half of the first movie is a whole other story. It seems almost as if another director took over and started to realize what was wrong and what was right. They condensed it into perfection. The key is to create the illusion that the audience didn't miss anything by NOT watching the season. The cut and the slicing as well as the new content was way better when the 3 Generals + viral attacked. It was flawless and made me double take if that ever happened in the season (of course it didn't.)But the fact that I questioned myself made me agree that the presentation was amazing. I thought some of the flashbacks were a bad choice because it showed, for example the hostage situation which never took place yet magically some characters are having flashbacks to it. Anyways, I don't like how much skipping there was or how the first movie didn't end with the spiral king's downfall, but the second half was good nonetheless. I loved how viral became a pseudo stand-in general. His recognition from the Spiral King was downplayed in the anime, so in the movie I am very glad he is given the respect he deserves, since he is the first beast men to realize that humans are in fact far superior to beast men. Beast men are imperfect without the spiral.

Second Movie:

Starting with all of the spiral king's defeat stuff made it seem kind of confusing. If I didn't know wtf was going on prior then I would be super confused. But after that whole scene ends and its "7-years-later...", it quickly gets a grip and rocks the house down. The cutting and slicing as well as the whole thing was FLAWLESS. They pieced together a new history of what went down, and when they cut down a plot (i.e. gurren saving the city, with the suicide bomber planted), they made it seem like we didn't miss a single thing. Instead of throwing the despair that was created by not every person in kamina city being able to board the ship. They created new lines and content and cleanly bypassed it. It was very well done and the exclusion of letting Simon have gurren prior to launch was also very well executed. I was kind of upset that Viral's immortality was downplayed a bit, because he is an immortal observer of time, forever to recount the tales of war that were about to be fought. The fights in space were amazing, and a bit more realistic (cough cough) with the actual animation of hundreds of Grapelars or whatever this time to aid the ancient relic Ganmens. As much as my fighting spirit and inner fan voice wants to believe that Simon and his band of awesome idiots can defeat over a million robots, it wasn't animated as a probable situation until now. I understand that they kick reason to the curb and break through the impossible, but this helps our mind grasp their power like a nicely descending slope, not a sudden drop from defeating 1-3 of those weird cubix enemy ships to a million. The Spiral King's hacking scene I felt was unnecessary, as it made him seem less-bad ass. But this is just me since I honestly think he is the most bad ass being in the galaxy. Nobody else fought Simon barehanded while Simon was still in his ganmen. Is it because he has MASSIVE BALLS OF STEEL? I think so. Moving on, the Kitan Giga Drill Breaker scene always makes me shed man tears. Always. Every time all the time. I don't care who you were rooting for, Kitan was a men among men and at the pinnacle of spiral energy right before he died. IF you guys didn't notice his entire body became spiral energy (you can see it in his eyes). It's at that point that the anti-spirals fear that the creation of galaxies is possible. After that it's all straight forward from the show up to the final fight scene, which is NOTHING like the show. And for that, I thank you GAINAX. Your wonderful department bringing us a conclusion fit for a god. In the season they start fighting like Rock'Em Sock'Em robots fighting back and forth until one side breaks through. In this Movie however they shatter all of that and expand so much further I didn't think it was possible. Each person having enough spiral energy and spirit to develop their own recognition of a perfect ganmen reflecting their inner soul. Amazing. I did find it strange that they disbanded and fought separately after they spoke so much about "them", and "they"; but it didn't matter since it all came back to the origin because just when I thought they couldn't get any bigger, they kick my thoughts to the curb and produce the biggest transformation of spiral energy (thanks to the spiral king, what a bamf), and fight a fight bigger than the universe itself. I was glad that Simon and the anti-spiral started to fight in their home planet, because there is no way he would of just taken that (like a btch, aka like the anime). Epilogue was the same as the anime. I prayed to kami-sama that Nia would live... but we can't all have what we want.. sigh. At this point the ending of the 2nd movie, which is the most critical part of the two part series easily got a 10/10 from me. No, I will do the impossible and give it a 12/10.

Amazing overall, thanks for reading if you did.
Just my thoughts.
Old 2010-02-07, 02:46   Link #351
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

I was moved to tears during the ending fight...I mean, wtf !? Just when I thought I'm going to see the same epic Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, they made everyone had their own Ganmens ! Not to mention, the people who died in the anime survived at the ending (which made me confused at first and thought that perhaps their death in the anime is useless so that the director cut that part for the movie). They had their own fffff Ganmen and start being awesome by doing some pawning to Anti-spiral o.o

And just when I thought that it's epic enough, they started to GATTAAIII and turned into something...something bigger than Tengen Toppa FFFFFFFFFFF. Seriously, this movie is so epic that I can't describe it with proper words but tears and blood while I typed this.

Old 2010-02-07, 11:03   Link #352
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Yeah , i still can't believe it that it was Godly Epic ...
Old 2010-02-07, 14:07   Link #353
Mayhem The Great
The Glob of Destruction

Hmmm... From the clips that I have seen, I'm rather interested in this flick and looks a lot more fun than the original show. I think I'll check it out in a bit and determine whether or not it deserves being called 'Epic.'

(Ugh, thanks to this Anime, I hate that word with a burning passion :P Isn't there any other word other than Epic?)

I'll post my thoughts after I check it out.
Old 2010-02-07, 17:48   Link #354
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

HOOOORRRRAAAAAAAAAHHH~!!

MY BURNING BLOOD CAN'T BE CONTAINED~! I want to punch a galaxy right now!! XD

THIS is what the ending of the TV series SHOULD have been! And having Simon and Anti-Spiral ducking it out at the end....!! !!!! I need to work off all this Spiral manly energy somehow... XD
Old 2010-02-07, 20:48   Link #355
GreatTeacherKen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem The Great View Post
Hmmm... From the clips that I have seen, I'm rather interested in this flick and looks a lot more fun than the original show. I think I'll check it out in a bit and determine whether or not it deserves being called 'Epic.'

(Ugh, thanks to this Anime, I hate that word with a burning passion :P Isn't there any other word other than Epic?)
While the word epic does get used a lot, it's kind of hard not to describe the show as such since the story also fits the traditional definition of the word. The entire show is larger than life and majestic: it focuses on a larger than life heroes who perform super heroic feats of bravery and exhibit extraordinary determination battling godlike antagonists. Not to mention, by the end of the show, the stakes (and the robots) have escalated to the point that the entire fate of Spiral beings and possibly the entire universe hangs in the balance.

Only other adjective I can think of that can properly describe TTGL is what TV tropes calls Crazy Awesome.
Old 2010-02-09, 19:20   Link #356
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

All I can say is.... GOD DAMN AMAZING.

Last edited by darkdarkdark; 2010-02-12 at 15:15.
Old 2010-02-10, 18:06   Link #357
kamikazex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyvedelta View Post
I was moved to tears during the ending fight...I mean, wtf !? Just when I thought I'm going to see the same epic Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, they made everyone had their own Ganmens ! Not to mention, the people who died in the anime survived at the ending (which made me confused at first and thought that perhaps their death in the anime is useless so that the director cut that part for the movie). They had their own fffff Ganmen and start being awesome by doing some pawning to Anti-spiral o.o

And just when I thought that it's epic enough, they started to GATTAAIII and turned into something...something bigger than Tengen Toppa FFFFFFFFFFF. Seriously, this movie is so epic that I can't describe it with proper words but tears and blood while I typed this.
same here lol. i was pretty moved too dont know why but i was tearing a little probably cuz too it was too awesome
Old 2010-02-11, 08:08   Link #358
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Still amazing, but somewhat disappointed that all the little details like Boota becoming humanized was left out.

The TV show definitely delved and fleshed out the minor characters a lot better, but the movie definitely had the action notched up.

I dunno. It somewhat feels like each one is superior to eachother in different ways.
Old 2010-02-11, 08:11   Link #359
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
I dunno. It somewhat feels like each one is superior to eachother in different ways.
Pretty much. It's why i'd say both are worth watching for different reasons.
Old 2010-02-11, 18:38   Link #360
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

I have yet to watch lagann-hen, but I want to. It's hard to find a good one subbed

*edit: Just watched Lagann-hen, and it was amazing. I thought the ending was legit. Simon fistfighting the antispiral = win. The epilogue was better, I thought. Damn great series.

Last edited by darkdarkdark; 2010-02-12 at 15:18.
Closed Thread

Tags
action, mecha