AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-06-30, 02:01   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 590 (manga)

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Last time, the story of Luffy's past had finally came to a close. What new events await us now that we're back in the present? Let's take a look now, shall we....?

-Chapter title is "Hey, brother". The splash page features Jinbei and Mihawk this time around.

-Garp returns to his home in East Blue's Goa kingdom. The Fuschia villagers greet him, and express their concern about the state of the world now that Whitebeard's dead. They also say that they spotted a pirate ship in the vicinity, but Garp reassures them that he sunk the ship in question. They also tell him of a mountain bandit that's been hanging out at their bar, and it's at this time that a very upset Dadan rushes at Garp and attacks him with a log. She then accuses him of doing nothing to prevent Ace's death, but Makino comes to his defense, saying that there was nothing he COULD do during that situation, and that he's undoubtedly traumatized by the event. However, Dadan says that Luffy's the one in the most shock, and Makino has a brief flashback of the two brothers. The mayor then asks Garp about Luffy's whereabouts, and the vice-admiral replies that Luffy most likely survived since he escaped in a submarine. Dadan then expresses her concern for Luffy, but says that she'll always be on his side, and that he shouldn't let this experience bring him down.....

-Meanwhile, Shanks and Whitebeard's crews are holding a funeral for the fallen emperor and his son. Shanks tells Marco that despite being his enemy, he had great respect for Whitebeard, as did Sengoku. He then leaves, silently expressing his concern for Luffy. He says that both victory and defeat is necessary in order to become a man, and while Luffy may be grieving now, he must learn to cope with his loss......

-Back at Amazon Lily, a devastated Luffy still calls himself weak. Jinbei tries to calm him down, but the young pirate just gets filled with rage and lashes out at the merman. Jinbei restrains him and tries to reason with him, saying that he's been letting himself be consumed with guilt due to all of his recent losses. He then asks Luffy to think of what he still has left, to which he replies..... his crew. He then says he has to meet up with them, and Jinbei has a brief flashback where Ace talks to him about Luffy at Impel Down. He says that Luffy's not just a little brother who clings to him anymore, because he had reliable companions of his own to support him now. Back in the present, Luffy voices his great desire to reunite with his shipmates once more.......

...Wow, what a powerful chapter. I actually think the scene Dadan may have had a bigger impact on me than Jinbei's talk with Luffy. While she may have been a questionable choice of a guardian at first, she really has proven to be quite a mother figure for Luffy, after all. The scene with Shanks was nice too, since it's great to see that he was also genuinely worried about the boy he bet the future of piracy on. Now this makes it even harder to guess what will happen next chapter (although I'm still betting on that timeskip coming to pass)......
Old 2010-06-30, 02:14   Link #2
Amirali
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Amirali
I wonder why Dadan didn't join the "Rescue Ace" mission then, if she was so keen to save his life? True, it would have been near impossible, but given that she was upset at Garp for not doing anything against ridiculous odds, she's one to talk.
Old 2010-06-30, 02:19   Link #3
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
So since they had a funeral....Ace is dead. K? yeah.

Luffy finally remembers his crew!! haha.

Still waiting for Shanks and Luffy to meet up. Probably won't happen till after Luffy gets his crew back.
Old 2010-06-30, 02:24   Link #4
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya View Post
So since they had a funeral....Ace is dead. K? yeah.
Yep, there's even a grave and everything:

Personally, I'm wondering how they found his hat.....
Old 2010-06-30, 02:28   Link #5
velocd
Witcher, with tenure

I'm glad to see Luffy finally remember his crew. I wonder whether his cremates have been traveling to Sabody all this time, or Luffy arrives at Sabody and finds nobody there. At which point I see him taking his ship back from the Rosy Life Riders (assuming they still have it) and sailing off to find his crew.

At first though I don't see Luffy going anywhere in his current state.. time for a Kuja feast.

Quote:
Personally, I'm wondering how they found his hat.....
Was thinking the same.. surprised it didn't burn up in giant fireball aftermath that was Ace v. Blackbeard.
Old 2010-06-30, 02:35   Link #6
Freya

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocd View Post
I'm glad to see Luffy finally remember his crew. I wonder whether his cremates have been traveling to Sabody all this time, or Luffy arrives at Sabody and finds nobody there. At which point I see him taking his ship back from the Rosy Life Riders (assuming they still have it) and sailing off to find his crew.

At first though I don't see Luffy going anywhere in his current state.. time for a Kuja feast.

Was thinking the same.. surprised it didn't burn up in giant fireball aftermath that was Ace v. Blackbeard.
didn't it like fly away?
Old 2010-06-30, 02:36   Link #7
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Luffy finally remembers his crew!! haha.

Still waiting for Shanks and Luffy to meet up. Probably won't happen till after Luffy gets his crew back.
The last time Luffy remembered his crew was in Amazon Lily until he learned of Ace's execution.

He then focused everything on the execution for that 1 week of travel, the time he spent in Impel Down and at the battle at the execution site. He was then left unconscious for an amount of time.

I don't think he took long to remember his crew, in fact he remembered his crew really fast. He remembered them even when he's still grieving over Ace.

I wonder if Whitebeard's crew will be disbanded or will Marco take over the crew.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2010-06-30, 02:41   Link #8
DonnVall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amirali View Post
I wonder why Dadan didn't join the "Rescue Ace" mission then, if she was so keen to save his life? True, it would have been near impossible, but given that she was upset at Garp for not doing anything against ridiculous odds, she's one to talk.
There simply wasn't have enough time for "ordinary" people, especially those outside grandline, to reach execution site in time. Remember that the world only knew WG would execute ace some 10-15 days prior D-day.
Old 2010-06-30, 02:41   Link #9
Darmill

Wow sounds very promising. Speaking of Luffy, he doesn't only have his crew waiting for him. We're awaiting the probably biggest marriage ceremony in One Piece history (the wedding of Luffy & Hancock)
Old 2010-06-30, 02:44   Link #10
marvelB

Quote:
didn't it like fly away?

Still doesn't explain how Whitebeard's crew came into possession of it, though. That is, unless Blackbeard picked it up and handed it over to the marines after thrashing Ace or something.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
I wonder if Whitebeard's crew will be disbanded or will Marco take over the crew.

I still think the remaining Whitebeard pirates will form an alliance with Shanks' crew, since Shanks had even offered Marco a spot in his crew during his last chat with Whitebeard. I don't expect it to happen right away, but it could definitely happen sometime in the near future.....
Old 2010-06-30, 02:44   Link #11
Freya

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
The last time Luffy remembered his crew was in Amazon Lily until he learned of Ace's execution.

He then focused everything on the execution for that 1 week of travel, the time he spent in Impel Down and at the battle at the execution site. He was then left unconscious for an amount of time.

I don't think he took long to remember his crew, in fact he remembered his crew really fast. He remembered them even when he's still grieving over Ace.

THey should all merge with Shank's crew.
Old 2010-06-30, 03:20   Link #12
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

Finally Luffy remember his crew , I hope Boa join him with the searching
Old 2010-06-30, 07:10   Link #13
Homura7

Did you notice that after two weeks Garp is back from Marineford to the East Blue? Then not even half a year passed since Luffy left his hometown.
Old 2010-06-30, 07:16   Link #14
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by _kurusu_ View Post
Did you notice that after two weeks Garp is back from Marineford to the East Blue? Then not even half a year passed since Luffy left his hometown.
Don't see anything wrong with that. Marines can travel across the calm belt easily.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2010-06-30, 07:48   Link #15
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

I was going to read the spoilers, but . . . since this is the first chapter in awhile I've really been looking forward to, I'm going to wait until it comes out. >_>
Old 2010-06-30, 07:52   Link #16
MihawkXGP
Master of The Sword

U can see Joz in that picture...he has his arm...albiet bandaged up...but it looks like he isn'#t gonna spend his days with only 1 arm.

Great chapter. I loved the memorial for Ace & Whitebeard......and the 10s 1000s of pirates that are there.... i wonder what Island it is...
Old 2010-06-30, 09:21   Link #17
marvelB

BTW, in that pic I posted, you can see that Ace and Whitebeard weren't the only fallen pirates to have a memorial, considering the number of swords shown there (curious that there doesn't seem to be one for Oars Jr., though..... I guess this means he either survived or became Moria's newest toy after all ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihawkXGP View Post
U can see Joz in that picture...he has his arm...albiet bandaged up...but it looks like he isn'#t gonna spend his days with only 1 arm.

Yeah, I definitely see that Jozu's patched up, but it looks like his entire body is wrapped in bandages, which makes it hard to see whether or not he really did lose that arm of his. As for the location, the only thing we know is that it's somewhere in the New World. Perhaps Luffy visit this location at some point during his travels.....
Old 2010-06-30, 09:25   Link #18
james0246

^Oars grave would be too big, so they put him in an urn and gave him a plaque instead .

Seriously though, great looking chapter. From Dadan's emotional outburst, to the great 2-page spread of Luffy remembering his nakama. Great stuff indeed.
Old 2010-06-30, 09:29   Link #19
marvelB

BTW, something interesting I noticed is that Buggy doesn't seem to be present for the funeral, even though he had apparently left Marineford with Shanks. Could this mean that the two of them parted ways before Shanks returned to the New World....?
Old 2010-06-30, 10:37   Link #20
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Seriously, Jimbei should have given Luffy a nice punch to the face. You don't lash out at somebody who genuinely cares for your well being and is trying to help you out. Can Luffy not compose himself? He has much to learn.