AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-09-17, 03:00   Link #481
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
I'm sure for a lot of people, the mentality is "Replace the black man and everything will be better automatically".
I am still amazed at the number of people who genuinely believe Romney will "save America". Not least because I have no idea how he is going to do it.
Old 2012-09-17, 03:08   Link #482
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

They figure it will be better than what Obama "will do" to America.
Old 2012-09-17, 03:26   Link #483
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I am still amazed at the number of people who genuinely believe Romney will "save America". Not least because I have no idea how he is going to do it.
Because they believe Romney is superman. He'll do that one thing like from Superman I and fly around Earth at a ludicrous speed and then turn back time to the year 1950 and America will be in a golden age again!
Old 2012-09-17, 03:29   Link #484
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
They figure it will be better than what Obama "will do" to America.
I mean, Ron Paul is extreme, but at least he offered a plan. His plan would rip the government into pieces and rebuilt from the ground up, but at least he isn't hiding his policies.

Romney offers vague statements about tax cuts and balancing the budget, about wanting to regain respect by striking fear into Russia, and to repeal Obama's healthcare plan (but not really, sort of , maybe, he will get back to you on that once he is elected.).

How is that suppose to save America? How could any citizen seriously believe it would?
Old 2012-09-17, 03:33   Link #485
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

They fear what Obama will do. Rational thinking ended at that point.
Old 2012-09-17, 03:41   Link #486
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
They fear what Obama will do. Rational thinking ended at that point.
And that's what depresses me. Romney isn't getting support because he is somehow hiding the fact that he is a bad candidate; he is getting support because his allies don't care that he is a bad candidate.

In a Democracy, bad candidates and politicians can't really hurt the country. But irrational voters can and would sink a democracy.

I was reminded of the fact that Ancient Athens once invaded a neighbouring nation only because the voting public think it was a good idea. America can survive with Romney as the GOP candidate, but Romney voters worry me.

Even if Romney lose, his voters will remain. And THEY are the real problem.

Voters are the true heart and soul of a Democracy, no matter how many people on this forum claim that voting is meaningless. In fact, voters ARE the country. So those who vote Romney are representing America. That they are fine with him being the president because somehow, "Obama is the worst POTUS in the history of the nation".

Quite literally, if Romney wins, I will be writing off United States as a lost cause. And that's a lot coming from me, who was raised on pro-America propaganda in Taiwan and once though USA was the greatest nation on Earth.

Last edited by Vallen Chaos Valiant; 2012-09-17 at 03:51.
Old 2012-09-17, 04:00   Link #487
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

To be honest, I think it's fairly that it Romney gets elected, he'll just be "Obama-lite" domestic policy wise. Repeal Obamacare? That'll go right out the window.

Foreign-policy wise ... well I'd say Obama has been pretty good on that count, and (from what we've seen) Romney has been awful. I think we'll see a big dive in US foreign relations.
Old 2012-09-17, 04:06   Link #488
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
To be honest, I think it's fairly that it Romney gets elected, he'll just be "Obama-lite" domestic policy wise. Repeal Obamacare? That'll go right out the window.

Foreign-policy wise ... well I'd say Obama has been pretty good on that count, and (from what we've seen) Romney has been awful. I think we'll see a big dive in US foreign relations.
Just because Romney has no policies of his own doesn't make him a moderate. He would want to be re-elected; which means he would need to obey his base.

I remember a Romney supporter claiming she will vote Romney with the assumption that he would do the exact opposite of what he is saying he would do. IMO that's a scary way to decide one's vote.
Old 2012-09-17, 04:29   Link #489
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

I think we are seeing the fine line between democracy and mob rule being crossed here, myself.

Actually, on second thought, not mob rule. Something worse than that.
Old 2012-09-17, 07:15   Link #490
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
I think we are seeing the fine line between democracy and mob rule being crossed here, myself.

Yeah, I wish it was mob rule. It means people were being irrational in a temporary basis.

I really want to give the GOP a chance, I really do. There is something valid concerning fiscal conservatism, of controlling inflation, and to limit pork barrelling. I just wish Republicans actually still DO that, rather than only say they do. And people who vote for them in their current state is doing themselves a disservice.
Old 2012-09-17, 07:50   Link #491
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:

Maybe not mob rule, but it's rather close of it. Brainwashed mob rule ?

Edit: Romney's New Strategy Turns Right
http://www.buzzfeed.com/mckaycoppins...gy-turns-right

Amid Discord, Romney Seeks to Sharpen Message
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/17/us...his-plans.html
To ''sharpen'', not to 'support'' or to ''explain''

Last edited by ganbaru; 2012-09-17 at 08:24.
Old 2012-09-17, 08:31   Link #492
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Yeah, when I said "not mob rule, something worse than that", that's what I meant. What I think I'm actually seeing here? The sheep from Animal Farm.

"Romney good, Obaaaama baaaad!"

Old 2012-09-17, 08:50   Link #493
GDB

Quote:
Yeah, when I said "not mob rule, something worse than that", that's what I meant. What I think I'm actually seeing here? The sheep from Animal Farm.

"Romney good, Obaaaama baaaad!"

Zombie sheep. May god have mercy upon us all.
Old 2012-09-17, 09:14   Link #494
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Not exactly, I doubt than a zombie sheep would have even enough brainpower to be ''conditioned'' ( it sound less offensive than brainwached) like a portion of the voter.
Plus, a zombie sheep couldn't vote, while the republican would wish than only ''thoses'' could vote .
Old 2012-09-17, 09:23   Link #495
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
How could any citizen seriously believe it would?
1/4 of the world is retarded. That has been my answer for large scale stupidity.
Old 2012-09-17, 09:27   Link #496
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
1/4 of the world is retarded. That has been my answer for large scale stupidity.
Democracy is suppose to work because 1/4 of the population isn't suppose to dictate policy for everyone else. And Romney is not suppose to win if only 1/4 of the population vote for him... But then I realised that most Americans don't vote.
Old 2012-09-17, 09:29   Link #497
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Democracy is suppose to work because 1/4 of the population isn't suppose to dictate policy for everyone else. And Romney is not suppose to win if only 1/4 of the population vote for him... But then I realised that most Americans don't vote.
Couple that with the fact that some people, while they may not be retarded, are highly impressionable about what the media and other people tell them, and of course there are people who don't bother to educate themselves about a candidate. Add all this together and you got the perfect storm.

Of course there is also the possibilty that almost an entire 4th of that 1/4 of the world occupies America.
Old 2012-09-17, 10:36   Link #498
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Do not besmirch the dead vote. They are just as active as any other constituents.

That being said, and to segue back to more election news, it seems Texas is back in the news for trying another tactic to supposedly eliminate potential Democratic voters from the ballots. Based on a decent, if somewhat unnecessary, bill passed more than a year ago (House Bill 174), Texas has recently sent out letters to up to 80,000 citizens telling them that they are dead and if they want to vote, they have to prove that they are still alive. On the surface, this makes perfect sense (who cares what the dead think? ), but the timing is very suspicious. Why has the Republican legislature waited more than a year to actually enforce the bill? And why specifically 40 some days before the election? Additionally, this measure seems to target poor older city dwellers rather than those who live in rural communities. Added to that, while it is supposed to be a relatively easy process to confirm your status as a living person (just call up the Sec. of State), several individual have already reported extreme difficulty in trying to simply confirm that they are alive.

So, has Texas found a new way to suppress potential Democratic voters, or are they simply enacting a 'good' voter fraud measure (as I pointed out at the beginning of this post, the dead do vote and more often than any should desire)?
Old 2012-09-17, 12:08   Link #499
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Found this and found it pretty funny. I don't like a president that stutters.

Old 2012-09-17, 12:17   Link #500
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
Found this and found it pretty funny. I don't like a president that stutters.

Reminds me bit of John Kerry windsurfing ad.