AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2012-11-04, 00:05   Link #1
Branded Guts

Cool Looking for any new anime that recently ended in the past year

Hello everyone! im getting back into the anime scene

im looking for animes that recently ended a year or two ago. i watched all types of animes but if anyone can suggest anything good. I also heard Bleach finally ended?

thanks guys if there was any genre of animes i like the most it has to be adventure action types with comedy. and or slice of life animes
Branded Guts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-04, 07:49   Link #2
Midnight2352
Midnight
*Author

This website apparently gives you the top 10 animes that ended in 2011.
I think some might fit your requirements.

Unfortunately Bleach has ended.
Old 2012-11-04, 08:11   Link #3
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Top of the list in the slice-of-life category has to be 2011's Usagi Drop about a 30-yo man who becomes the caretaker of a five-year-old girl. Funny, sweet, with a bit of drama here and there. Another good show in this category is Ikoku Meiro no Croisée while follows a Japanese girl who comes to 19th century Paris to work as a shop girl for an ironmonger.

A different show with strong slice-of-life roots is House of Five Leaves. It concerns an unemployed samurai who becomes involved with a small group of kidnappers.

This past summer saw two excellent shows from noitaminA which might have some appeal. One is Kids on the Slope, about three teens in 1966 who become enamored with jazz and each other. The other is Tsuritama, a comedy about teen boys who take up fishing and encounter aliens.

Chihayafuru is another excellent choice. It has some simliarities to the well-known Hikaru no Go as it concerns a girl who becomes obsessed with a game, rallies some other students to form a club, and wants to become a professional player. A sequel will come out early next year.

Everyone will suggest Madoka Magica, also from 2011, a revision of the magical-girl genre. It might appeal to your interest in adventure shows, though there isn't much comedy.

For a mix of action and comedy, you might try the recent Lupin III/Mine Fujiko, though it has some rather dark themes.

Finally I'll toss out AKB0048, a spinoff show based on the idol singing group AKB48. It's set in the far future where governments have banned entertainment. AKB0048 travels the universe staging guerrilla concerts and fighting the forces of oppression. There are slice-of-life styled episodes, too, where we watch the four main characters learn how to sing, dance, and use high-powered weapons.

You might also browse the Choice Award threads here for some good ideas.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-04, 16:53   Link #4
NinjaRealist
Battoru!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Everyone will suggest Madoka Magica, also from 2011, a revision of the magical-girl genre. It might appeal to your interest in adventure shows, though there isn't much comedy.
I second this. It's also worth noting that Madoka has some of the best animation I've ever seen in a TV show.

Another epic adventure show without much comedy that people are sure to suggest is Fate/Zero

Also not very funny but great and has incredible animation though not as incredible as Madoka.

But both are epic and moving with great writing and plenty of action if that's what you're after.
Old 2012-11-04, 19:31   Link #5
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Madoka Magica is the obligatory recommendation. Even if you're not into magical girl series you still need to watch this. I'm not a magical girl fan but I consider Madoka to be the best anime to come out since Evangelion.

I'll also second Usagi Drop, great slice of life there.

Bodacious Space Pirates All about a highschool girl who inherits her father's spaceship and privateer license and proceeds to have adventures in space.

Papa no Iukoto o Kikinasai! A college student takes in his three nieces after his sister and brother in law disappear.

Ben-To: It's a battle royale at the supermarket for those half priced bentos. The strong shall eat, while the weak starve!

Mirai Nikki
The Queen of Yandere!

Chihayafuru Card games have never been so cool before.

Mawaru-Penguindrum: Rock Over Japan! Rock Over. A symbolism filled response to Aum.

Ano Hana
A group of childhood friends have drifted apart, but in Highschool one of them has a wish that brings them back together.

Tiger & Bunny: A tongue in cheek ode to Silver Age superheros.

The World God Only Knows: The god of dating sims is required to woo girls in real life- hilarity ensues.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-05, 02:51   Link #6
Branded Guts

thanks everyone for the quick responses! alot of titles im going to look into

the show im currently trying to watch is beelzebub which is pretty awesome so far

im going to try Usagi Drop as well soon after. but there where a few slice of life drama animes that i loved so much like the clannad series and the honey and clover series

thanks again guys any more suggestions let me know!
Old 2012-11-10, 12:09   Link #7
jesh462

I really liked Usagi Drop, I hope you enjoy it too.
The World God Only Knows: I would REALLY suggest reading the manga instead. The manga is excellent and extends past the anime plot wise. I can't imagine the anime living up to the standard the manga sets.
jesh462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 13:39   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

If you like authentic slice-of-life shows, you should give Showa Monogatari a try. It depicts a lower-middle-class Tokyo family in 1964, the year the Olympics came to Japan. Since I wrote the ANN plot summary, I'll just point you there rather than repeat myself
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 17:03   Link #9
Branded Guts

just finished watching bunny drop! liked it alot so sad it was short :s

thanks for all the suggestions everyone im going to keep looking for new animes as well as the list everyone has givin me
Old 2012-11-11, 03:57   Link #10
jesh462

Awesome! I'm glad you liked it.
jesh462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-11, 19:53   Link #11
Branded Guts

now im getting excited for a new anime called cross game everyone is saying its a really amazing show
Old 2012-11-11, 21:21   Link #12
jte742

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branded Guts View Post
now im getting excited for a new anime called cross game everyone is saying its a really amazing show
Yes, Cross Game is very good.

If you don't mind sci-fi anime, you might also want to give Steins;Gate a try. It is about a group of college students who (somewhat accidentally) build a time machine out of a microwave - and in doing so, run afoul of an obscure secret organization. It is not really slice of life, but it is still a great anime that combines comedy, drama, romance, and a little action too.
jte742 is offline   Reply With Quote