AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2007-03-23, 00:36   Link #61
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

Going back for reinforcements when they realized they were surrounded is about as illogical as showing up with 300 men in the first place. So that part makes sense to me. You just have to remember that spartans kick lots of ass.

SPARTANS DON'T RETREAT! *starts kicking people into pits*

The movie was alright. I still like something like Life Aquatic much better ... but for a massive battle movie it was entertaining. Sure beats lord of the rings where you have to wait 2 hours to get that sort of action.

Last edited by Lexander; 2007-03-23 at 11:07.
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-23, 05:07   Link #62
DwArD
mAnIaC

Hmm....I thought the reason they didn't went back and brought in reinforcements was the reason why they only left with 300 spartans right at the start of the story? Its not that Leonidas don't wanna bring more troops...its just that he can't. Every matter that concern Greek must first went through oracle of some sort, and in the case of the movie, the oracle (plus the old perverted geeks) forbide Leonidas from going into battle with the Persians. But Leonidas didn't give up and decided to bring along with him 300 of the finest Spartans. Hope that solves your doubt. Btw, you can take a look at wikipedia's article on 300 and the Battle of Thermopylae. Its pretty enriching.

Btw, the only thing that puzzled me was why didn't Leonidas aimed the spear right at Xerxes's heart? I know its very difficult to aim it from that distance but from what I read from wiki, the comic mentioned that Leonidas's goal was to show the people that Xerxes isn't a "God" and that he bleeds.
Old 2007-03-23, 06:13   Link #63
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Actually, the real reason they didn't go back for more troops was because of political reasons not shown in the movie (it would ruin the cinematic drama).

The real reason was that the leaders of Sparta were worried that the helots (a race of slaves conquered by the Spartans a long time ago) would rebel if they sent too large a force to combat the Persians. In reality, the real numbers were closer to 300,000 men on the Persian side and about 9,000 men for the Spartans. 9,000 was the approx total number of men in the Spartan army, not the force sent to Thermopylae. The number 300 was accurate, though the "10,000" Spartan troops at the end of the movie was an exaggerated number to make it seem a bit more dramatic.

Actually, the 300 Spartans, before they all died, were able to take down an incredible number of men with them, a whopping 60,000! Thats about 200 Persian soldiers apiece, if you can imagine that. Their phalanx tactics served them well, though in real life they would NEVER have broken battle lines to engage the Persian troops individually. That would have meant instant death for everyone. The only reason they were able to fight as they did was because Spartans always fought as one perfectly cohesive unit within the phalanx, every man protecting the ones to the left and right of him.

Also, another thing the movie failed to mention was the true last part of a Spartan's training. It wsa actually to go out and kill a helot. The catch was that if they were caught, they were punished severly, but if they weren't then they were given their classic bronze armor, shield, spear (which was anywhere from 6 to 9 feet long), short sword (called a xiphos). These were known as hoplites, and their lives belonged to the state. This is how every Spartan was. Their lives must serve the state first and foremost --- anything less was unthinkable.

/rant. I think I've bored you guys enough now, but you can read up more in sites like wikipedia. (or preferably more reliable sites)
Old 2007-03-23, 20:29   Link #64
gummybear
MUDKIP MUD!

the movie was good, very manly, but too "manly". At one point in the movie I have to keep my hands away from my pants so that I don't feel wrong or people think that I am doing something down there
gummybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-23, 22:33   Link #65
kakashi524

Already watched it, I liked it very much. I hope you all enjoy it.

And dont forget the 300 spartans!!!!
Old 2007-03-24, 04:00   Link #66
Nishi`Joichiro
Last Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gummybear View Post
the movie was good, very manly, but too "manly". At one point in the movie I have to keep my hands away from my pants so that I don't feel wrong or people think that I am doing something down there

omg wtf? yaoi status?
Nishi`Joichiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-24, 04:06   Link #67
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by gummybear View Post
Just the fact you were thinking about such things makes you way more manly than you are comfortable with.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-24, 04:15   Link #68
Nishi`Joichiro
Last Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
Just the fact you were thinking about such things makes you way more manly than you are comfortable with.

Are you saying that he is .....?

Last edited by Nishi`Joichiro; 2007-03-24 at 05:06. Reason: ....
Nishi`Joichiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-24, 14:51   Link #69
MisaMisa

I watched just yesterday.
Awesome bloody battles.And the sex scene...
MisaMisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-24, 17:53   Link #70
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Sex scene? Really? Sorry, I find rape a big turn-off. That was one of the least "" parts of the movie for me. If you want "" then take a look at the oracle scene or any time Xerxes makes an appearance. Heck, the battle scenes were much more of a turn-on for me.

Oh god those battle scenes were hot...

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2007-03-24, 18:12   Link #71
Red Herring
SPARTANS

Quote:
Sex scene? Really? Sorry, I find rape a big turn-off. That was one of the least "" parts of the movie for me. If you want "" then take a look at the oracle scene or any time Xerxes makes an appearance. Heck, the battle scenes were much more of a turn-on for me.

Oh god those battle scenes were hot...
I think he means when Leonidas was pounding his wife.

That was hot.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-24, 20:27   Link #72
baubuke

Lucky..

I'm still waiting to see the movie, cause in my country it will appear only after march 30th..the waiting is killing me!
baubuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-25, 03:12   Link #73
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
I think he means when Leonidas was pounding his wife.

That was hot.
Oh. Thanks for reminding me about that. For some reason it didn't leave a big impression on me. I can't really figure out why.

Old 2007-03-25, 03:14   Link #74
Red Herring
SPARTANS

Quote:
Oh. Thanks for reminding me about that. For some reason it didn't leave a big impression on me. I can't really figure out why.
Well it was kinda gratuitous. Just there to be all like,"look here is some SEX."
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-25, 16:01   Link #75
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Well that was pretty fricken awesome if you ask me! I swear I could beat anyone in a fight right now lol.

It has been said before in this thread but seriously, if you liked this movie and want more insight to the magnificently harsh Spartan way of life along with the battle of Thermopylae, read Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield. Seriously...

SPARTA!!!!!!
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots

Last edited by Shay; 2007-03-25 at 16:11.
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-27, 16:46   Link #76
WhiteWings

That movie was so cool. The real life event thousands of years back was pretty awesome as well.
Old 2007-03-27, 17:38   Link #77
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
Something tells me that I should have watched 300 instead of TMNT.
OutPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 20:50   Link #78
Zhuge_Liang Kongming

Send a message via MSN to Zhuge_Liang Kongming
ya no they made a "halo 300" trailer.....its basically the audio of the 300 trailer just with graphics from halo....

see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9brTxpDwKgs
Zhuge_Liang Kongming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 20:54   Link #79
Zhuge_Liang Kongming

Send a message via MSN to Zhuge_Liang Kongming
it makes sense.....halo was basically inspired by the spartan 300...
it all fits:
kids being trained to fight until their older
y they called it the SPARTAN II project
only thing is.....the "spartans" in halo use guns not swords/spears
Zhuge_Liang Kongming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 05:09   Link #80
Slighted

FOR SPARTA!!

300 was awesome
Slighted is offline   Reply With Quote