AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

View Poll Results: Who is your favorite Awakened Being?
Priscilla 60 18.63%
Male AB (Six Armed) 6 1.86%
Female AB (Killed by Ophelia) 19 5.90%
Ophelia 50 15.53%
Riful 189 58.70%
Dauf 35 10.87%
Katea 6 1.86%
Jean 66 20.50%
Male AB (Chain Guy) 2 0.62%
Male AB (Yoki Manipulator) 5 1.55%
Male AB (Spider-like) 2 0.62%
Rigardo 77 23.91%
Alicia 64 19.88%
Isley 134 41.61%
Luciela 45 13.98%
Rosemary 25 7.76%
Hilda 10 3.11%
Agatha 57 17.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 322. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-01-09, 04:37   Link #1
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

[Manga] Favorite Awakened Being

Vote for your favourite Ascended Being. You may vote for as many characters as you desire, but you may only vote once. Vote for all your favorites at the same time because you cannot come back to add a vote for another character or delete your vote. The poll is public, so votes will be visible to everyone.

This poll is for the manga so you may be spoiled if you have not read the manga. If you feel that someone's character was different in the anime and manga, please treat them as separate people and vote based on their manga version only.

Thread Rules
  • No campaigning for votes.
    This means to avoid posting things such as "Vote for..." or "Do not vote for..." since they will be deleted. Please discuss why you do or don't like characters without campaigning for votes.

• Do not insult or harass other members for their choices.
    Please remember that this is for fun. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member merely because they expressed a fondness for a character whom you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter is always welcome, but harassing other people won't be tolerated.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    The whole point is to have fun, but please try your best to add substance with what you post to make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you're long gone and moved on to watch some other series.

BTW, while most of the characters are quite recognizable from their images in the poll, here are a few that really need larger images.

KateaJeanAgathaRosemary

PS. This poll owes a lot to the community of this forum for making it happen. Thanks to everyone for helping to make this poll so great. Your work here was very appreciated.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2008-01-09 at 17:32.
Old 2008-01-09, 04:49   Link #2
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Incidently, I included Jean in the poll, but not Clare. That simply seemed to be the overall view of our members as filtered through my perceptions. If you want a justification: Jean did fully transform into an ascended being for a brief time, but Clare never fully transformed. More seriously though, the reason is that Clare doesn't really belong here since she's the main character and Jean has a ton of fans who love her form as an ascended being separately from who she is as a Claymore.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2008-01-09, 06:46   Link #3
Anima
Oh! You mean we don't?

Ah, at last! Maybe you could add Rosemary to the list of pictures there as her avatar up there isn't really an indicator of how she looks.

I voted for:
- Jean (why of course)
- Female AB
- Ophelia
- Alicia
- Isley
- Rosermary

I admit my main criteria for voting was the looks (and it was my intention of brining the whole idea of this poll) but form some of them, their personality did interfere in my voting.

First of all, the whole AB mentality change is really puzzling to me. We've seen those who totally lost it and those who seem to be quiet aware of their selves like Riful who suggested that the difference between an AB and a regular claymore is where their conscious sides (beside devouring humans that is )

Now, Jean is a tricky one, while her body fully awakened, she kept her human mind through sheer willpower and I admire her for that unlike other ABs who totally lost it even before fully awakening. I think her AB form is wicked and it makes me wonder if she has completely gone to the yoma side and fought in her form how would she fight. Would she fly? and I wonder what attacks might she has in her arsenal. All in all, Jean is an awesome char and that did influence my voting.

- Female AB: well, looks I suppose was the only reason xD

- Ophelia: O' my dear Ophelia. I despised her so much at first but I grew to love her actually after her sacrifice. Her AB form is ok and totally Lamia inspired. Her giving up her life when she realized she has awakened boosted her points for me greatly and makes me wonder if she cares so much for not being a monster why did she willingly become a monster when she was a claymore?! I guess it all comes to the human nature of not appreciating something unless it was taken from you and that was the choice which Ophelia lost so sacrificing herself was so human to me. Kudos for Ophelia!

- Alicia: she looks very dangerous and the first claymore to awaken while having her human mind and heart in check thanks to soul link. While I know that the org didn't create her just to protect humans against the abyssal ones in case they went on rampage, what counts is that she can rival them now although I have that feeling that Beth might lose control in one of the fight because of some sort of interruption be it physical like getting slashed or by yoki alignment interference.

- Isley: for looks only and I actually hate him very much because he is a complete monster in all aspects.

- Rosemary: Poor Rosemary, has it not been for Teresa, I have the feeling that she might have been the fourth Abyssal one. Whether she lost it like Priscilla and become totally clueless or not is something that will surely influence my opinion of her but glad that wasn't fully explored or if she was like the case of Priscilla, I would revoke my vote. when I first saw her fully awakened form I was like "OMG, that's Ultima Weapon from Final Fantasy 8! :3" in terms of looks, she looks badass IMO.

and I will be back to discuss those I haven't voted for later.

P.S. Alas Clare wasn't added but I understand. Thanks for the poll, NoSanninWa.

Last edited by Anima; 2008-01-09 at 07:46.
Old 2008-01-09, 06:51   Link #4
evil_kenshin

i've voted for

- Priscilla
- Riful
- Dauf
- Jean
- Rigardo
- Alicia
- Isley
- Luciela
- Agatha

mr criteria for voting was based on : looks/awesomeness and their role in the story also if they were interesting or not

i honestly can't see many of the no name's getting votes, as the only one of any real importance was the 6 arms guy
Old 2008-01-09, 09:28   Link #5
Shiryuu
Magical Boy

My votes are based mostly on looks...
Prisicilla/Isley... see favorite anime character poll.
Riful... sharp hair is cool.
Luciela... I like cats? Her human form is pretty hot though.
Alicia... badass especially with the black uniform.

Quote:
i honestly can't see many of the no name's getting votes, as the only one of any real importance was the 6 arms guy
Same. They look lame too. :/

Also, isn't it supposed to be "Awakened Being"?
Old 2008-01-09, 11:08   Link #6
Negativedark
Proud Yuma Lover.

If I voted for looks, I'd probably have hit everyone on the list. Instead I opted to limit it to 3.

1- Riful, Great design, and a unique one. All those black strips make her a unique monster, and she has an interesting persoanlity. Really needs to work on how she makes friends though. Also one half the best awakened couple.
2- Isley. Looks played a major role. I always think of his transformed state as a Castlevania boss. Also another one with an interesting personality. And with his releationships with Priscilla and Raki, he will definitly influence the main plot.
3- The other half of the best couple, Dauf. Big and dumb, he's dangrous because he's so strong, but at least you can fool him. Plus he has that relationship with Riful.

Runners up, who I didn't quite vote for were the fallen angel Priscilla, the Catgirl from hell Luciela, and the crazy, yet tragic Ophilia.
Old 2008-01-09, 14:38   Link #7
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

I think this thread needs to be stickied . I would hate , if this thread to gets lost in the cluster after all the effort we put into making it .

I voted for Isley Priscilla and Riful
Old 2008-01-09, 17:17   Link #8
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

I'd probably have hated myself for saying this a few months ago, and I think I even posted his name in a "Your most hated characters" thread, but Rigardo is now my clear favorite. He was the epitome of "ownage" in the few episodes he was in, and his qualities can be summed up in just one word: Superb.

I also voted Riful for her attitude, random yoki manipulator guy for his cool design and funny voice in the anime, and Dauf because someone had to.

Edit: Wow, nevermind, Dauf actually has one of the highest totals at the moment. Didn't see that coming.
Old 2008-01-09, 17:33   Link #9
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceSmasher View Post
Ah, at last! Maybe you could add Rosemary to the list of pictures there as her avatar up there isn't really an indicator of how she looks.
Quite true. Done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiryuu View Post
Also, isn't it supposed to be "Awakened Being"?
Oh! Silly me! Fix0rd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta Boshi View Post
I think this thread needs to be stickied . I would hate , if this thread to gets lost in the cluster after all the effort we put into making it .
I understand the feeling. Personally I thought it was amazing the way that the community came together to help produce this thread. I appreciate the list of ABs that was made and I really loved all the work that everyone put into those avatars. I've added a note of appreciation for that into the first post.

So, if anyone would like to help create a favorite manga character poll - you now know how.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBladewing View Post
Edit: Wow, nevermind, Dauf actually has one of the highest totals at the moment. Didn't see that coming.
Actually plenty of characters have as many votes as Dauf. He's just not near the bottom. So far the runaway winners are Riful and Isley, but I doubt anyone is surprised about that.

Old 2008-01-09, 17:50   Link #10
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
Quite true. Done.

Actually plenty of characters have as many votes as Dauf. He's just not near the bottom. So far the runaway winners are Riful and Isley, but I doubt anyone is surprised about that.
Well yeah, I wasn't saying "lol Dauf is owning all you noobs he has a million votes", just commenting that his vote count technically puts him near the top, even if he is tied with several others. Figured it deserved a mention since he's tied or one vote away from Raki in the other poll (even though I don't actually expect it to last).
Old 2008-01-09, 18:36   Link #11
Siegzon Caritas
Yuma! I CAN fight, too!

Send a message via MSN to Siegzon Caritas
After much consideration I pulled the lever. Join me in welcoming Riful as your new President of the United States ... oh wait I got my voting confused .
Then again . . .

Seriously this was a tough vote. For me awakened being had to mean those who like guts so I jettisoned my all time favorite character in Claymore Jean. She is not and never was an awakened being imho.

Riful was my top choice for many reasons. Her design was intricate, had a number of different looks from lolli to mystical. The second reason is that I find her the most interesting personality. She values things that someone who murders humans casually I, as a human, am uncomfortable with her having: a value on friendship, valor and loyalty. These are some pretty noble traits to value. In addition, without Riful the plot would take a severe blow. Isley is a bit of a boor, frankly, and having a charismatic villain like Riful almost fractures the loyalties. But let's not forget she is a true monster who tortured Jean to the point of awakening. These apparent contradictions and her seeming emotional vulnerability when she talks to the heroes makes her totally appealing. In any other book she could be the main antihero and pull it off with ease. How many of those vampire types really hold a candle in fascination to Riful?

Here's to Riful, Queen of the Awakened!

For runner up--it really was tough--the other half of the AB kawaiicouple: Dauf!

Dauf is a true awakened, with an awakened's vicousness, yet like Riful (has he learned from her?) he has complex emotions. He leans on Riful but not in a codependent sense. He could certainly make it on his own. He turns to her and wails about his hands fully knowing they will regenerate but fully expecting sympathy from Riful and I think on many occassions he gets it. Nowhere is there an inkling that this relationship is one of need or fear. Finally, Dauph has the kind of thug comedic sadism that is truly awful but a common character trait among awakened belching out a rod and decimating a fellow awakened. He's quite willing to take the initiative. I could see an ES about him. I think though, he had better be careful as he is the weakest one of the upcoming conflict: Riful, Isley, Pris, Alicia/Beth. I won't shed a tear if Dauph buys it, he is a sadistic brute, but I would be interested in Riful's reaction if she lost her man, so Dauph barely gets my second place vote due to his ongoing influence on the plot.

My last pick was Ophelia. Her hatred of ABs and her longing for guts as a new AB was priceless. She was actually more sympathetic as an AB than as a Claymore. Ophelia needed to know herself before becoming a hero and she never got a chance. Ophelia played in a tragedy, yet got little sympathy because she was both the tragic figure and the villain. Ophelia was also the first glimpse that the AB actually maintains the individuality of the original person surrounded by the overpowering hunger they are famous for.
Old 2008-01-09, 19:07   Link #12
Stahlwolf
Doujinshi Traffiker

Location: The Drought-ridden Atlanta fending off water pirates
Send a message via AIM to Stahlwolf
Riful and Jean-

Even though Riful is prisy (and a bit cocky in a way), she has the elegance to tell you that she's either A) going to kill you, or B) turn you into an awakened being. And also note that she has not killed a human (that we know of) yet. And who is also of the rare ABs that can hide their true form.
As far as Jean is concerned.... Heh. It's Jean.
And was there a reason as to why CLARE isn't on this list as well?
And as far as the manga concerns.... I'd like to see Riful battle Agatha because she may win. Riful can shred where as Agatha can only coil, whip, and pierce with her appendages.
Gee... you think Riful will come and help.....

-Nah.
Old 2008-01-09, 19:40   Link #13
chibamonster
'S' Class Fairy Tail

I voted for a bunch . The Awakened beings make up the best part of claymore in my opinion, especially because every claymore has the potential to become one. I love that none of them are the same and even their feelings towards their own awakening are different.

I voted for the 6 armed claymore mostly because the first time I saw him in the series I flipped out. After all the development of having Claymores as all women the introduction of an awakened being (the second we had seen) who was not only powerful enough to shock Miria but was also a male got a huge response from me. I'm not sure how he compares to the higher ups (probably not at all) but for that fight he was truly terrifying even toying with the fab 4 in an intelligent way Duff could never dream of. I wonder how many Claymores met their end at his 30 fingers.

Riful is one of my favorites just because she is so complex. She doesn't even seem to enjoy fighting. She cloaks her youki well enough to surprise even Galatea. She is smart and analyzes every situation. And she has a big dumb boy friend. Some day Riful is going to get serious and I am really excited to see that. I wonder what she looks like when she goes in for an attack. I can't imagine she keeps her dress looking elegant when she gets serious. Not to mention that she is fast.

I also had to vote for Rigardo because his entrance into the story completely shattered so many of my expectations for manga. No mercy, no talking, no convoluted sense of justice; just action. Seeing developed characters cut apart without even being able to defend themselves was a huge kick in the gut.

Agatha's form is so vastly different from anything we have seen, not to mention her attitude as someone who is completely comfortable being a monster. I anticipate much more from this venus fly trap awakened being.

And Isley just because he looks cool. He is the most evil AB.
Old 2008-01-10, 01:31   Link #14
faint-smile
of Teresa

Riful,

Because she is so funny, smart, and have many interesting satyrically quote and seems that she's using more his brain that become bloodthirsty and harsh murderer
Old 2008-01-10, 02:20   Link #15
redmeat

I voted for Luciela. She's cute, outgoing, sociable, intelligent, kind, caring, and overall well-rounded person.

Who am I kidding, I'm enamored by the two fat tentacles sticking out from her behind
Old 2008-01-10, 17:08   Link #16
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

hmm i have no favorite Ab because i kinda hate them all
for killing all my favorite claymores
Old 2008-01-11, 12:53   Link #17
chibamonster
'S' Class Fairy Tail

I really want to know what Riful's awakening was like. I imagine Isley had something to do with it (you know, just because). Her personality might have been very different when she was the youngest number one as opposed to one of the oldest Female Awakened Beings. Imagining her having lazy days where she just sleeps eats and then goes back to sleep makes me laugh. Especially if she is really groggy in the morning. I'd imagine her singing J-pop in the shower as well, off key and very loud. She'd probably be the type to get mad if Duff made a mess with his food or didn't use utensils . I wonder where she gets her little potato bag dresses. Does she make them herself? Luciella's dress was probably tailored to fit her. Too bad clothes aren't made for awakened forms.
Old 2008-01-11, 14:01   Link #18
Shogunreiko

i voted for agatha couse she is so kittenish and fascinating
Old 2008-01-11, 15:35   Link #19
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogunreiko View Post
i voted for agatha couse she is so kittenish and fascinating
Kittenish? Well, I suppose she has shown a definite propensity for playing with her prey. Mostly I think Agatha has so many votes because she's the AB of the moment. Pretty soon she'll be dead and no more extraudinary than the first male AB Clare met. Honestly, the fight against that AB was pretty epic and he even got to show a bit of personality, but nobody cares about him any more. Eventually Agatha will be in the same category, except more dangerous... and named. I'll admit that having a name does make a difference.

Old 2008-01-11, 16:34   Link #20
Lucc

beeing hawt does too ! i'm pretty sure she'll have nore fans then the first male ab even after she is cut into little pieces;P

i voted for riful. not sure why. he is tust wicked. too bad she ended up with dauf the douchebag;P riful and rigardo woulda be nuch better

Cold|Strife
Closed Thread