AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Majutsu no Index III - Episode 2 Rating
Perfect 10 3 13.04%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 4 17.39%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 8 34.78%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 13.04%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 8.70%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 4.35%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 8.70%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2018-10-12, 23:22   Link #21
Chosen_Hero

Gotta love the amakusa bros ghetto magic, it proves they can definitely survive anywhere they need to. Next episode we get THAT scene and it is finally time it happens.

------------

Sheesh, for the last 10 or so years you have been complaining about wanting a third season, but when it finally happens and is not up to your unrealistic standards, you just complain? Are some of you for real right now? The worst part is that this reaction is mostly exclusive to the LN readers. Instead of complaining be happy that this happened at all, that this is far from the last piece of this series that we will get to see.

Quite literally everywhere I go everyone outside of the fandom is happy that this series got a new season, to the point I could not believe the reactions I was seeing, heck, some of them even showed interest in following the LNs. We should be happy that this new season is giving the series the spotlight it deserves, but instead it is just complaints at every turn (not saying you can't, just that you do it too much for barely any reason). This is one of the reason I don't like hanging around the fanbase for too long.
Old 2018-10-12, 23:43   Link #22
moridin84
Custom User Title

What makes Itsuwa interesting is she is probably the only girl when fell in love with Touma before he saved her, punched her or saw her naked.
moridin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-13, 01:01   Link #23
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
Sheesh, for the last 10 or so years you have been complaining about wanting a third season, but when it finally happens and is not up to your unrealistic standards, you just complain?
How is it unreasonable to expect the translations to say ley lines instead geoducts!!?

On a more serious note, no one was expecting a 1:1 adaptation. But there are some adaptation choices that have definitely made the experience worse. Pretending that these choices or issues don't exist is just as ridiculous as complaining about every little thing.

And I'm not complaining about anything unreasonable. There people who are having trouble figuring out what's going on because the series doesn't present itself well. For example, there are people who think Oyafune Monaka died last episode because the anime rushed through that scene. Its only one small thing but when sum of all the small things can have a great effect.
Old 2018-10-13, 01:23   Link #24
Five_Overs

I would complain not because I don't enjoy it. I would love every second even if they cut the budget in half. What I'm concerned about is whether it will attract newcomers and anime only watchers. These problems can cause huge accessibility barriers.

That said, this episode is an improvement over the last. A better selection of bgm and those nice angle-shots are certainly a big help.
Old 2018-10-13, 02:06   Link #25
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Wasn't Imagine Breaker's SE more of a ping before? It sounds like a passing jet or something.

And yeah, I don't understand all that is going on. *shrug*
Probably the series crapping on religion or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
Sheesh, for the last 10 or so years you have been complaining about wanting a third season, but when it finally happens and is not up to your unrealistic standards, you just complain?
We're not in middle school (probably). Just because someone wants something doesn't mean you can give them bad quality and say "Well, you wanted it, I gave it, so you can't complain!"

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-13, 02:57   Link #26
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Inaccuracy aside, my biggest concern about using "geoducts" instead of "leylines" is that "geoduct" sounds industrial and scientific compared to "leylines", which has a more magical ring to it.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-13, 05:34   Link #27
Marina2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH&S View Post
the series doesn't present itself well.
This is main problem with Index anime since the first season. Novel version of Index is fun to read because how much details and exposition author put in it. The fight scenes are fun mainly because of the detailed narrative and we knows what Touma is thinking in his head while he is fighting.

Unfortunately, what made the novel good didn't translate well into anime version. Anime can't put a long and detailed exposition/explanation on scene. All Touma's fight scenes mostly look like he just blocked everything with his right hand and rushed to punch enemy. Anime's visual doesn't do justice to represent everything happen in novel's narrative.

Last edited by Marina2; 2018-10-13 at 14:31.
Marina2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-13, 06:29   Link #28
RPG_Fanatic
Fallere825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
This is main problem with Index anime since the first season. Novel version of Index is fun to read because how much details and exposition author put in it. The fight scenes are mainly because of the detailed narrative and we knows what Touma is thinking in his head while he is fighting.

Unfortunately, what made the novel good didn't translate well into anime version. Anime can't put a long and detailed exposition/explanation on scene. All Touma's fight scenes mostly look like he just blocked everything with his right hand and rushed to punch enemy. Anime's visual doesn't do justice to represent everything happen in novel's narrative.
It is unfortunate, but it is what it is. It is also why Railgun is easier to adapt since it is a manga and doesn't have to rely on just words to tells its story. So far I am pretty content with what we are getting. I am just happy we are getting more anime seasons.
Old 2018-10-13, 11:19   Link #29
Natsurin
Memento Mori
*Graphic Designer

I think my ears just died at that new IB SFX. We're only two episodes in and the BD already has something to fix...
Old 2018-10-13, 13:03   Link #30
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Wasn't Imagine Breaker's SE more of a ping before? It sounds like a passing jet or something.
It's supposed to be the sound of breaking glass, but yeah, not really feeling this one.

I did like the French signs, especially "Ne partez pas du coté de Dieu". I think it's someone trying to say "Don't leave God's side", but it actually means something like "Don't get too close to God".
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-13, 14:04   Link #31
Chosen_Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by moridin84 View Post
What makes Itsuwa interesting is she is probably the only girl when fell in love with Touma before he saved her, punched her or saw her naked.
Nope he did save/help her, at first she was just a Touma fangirl (she still is) obssesed with giving him a towel, but then he saved her from some attack and gets a crush on him.

Quote:
How is it unreasonable to expect the translations to say ley lines instead geoducts!!?

On a more serious note, no one was expecting a 1:1 adaptation. But there are some adaptation choices that have definitely made the experience worse. Pretending that these choices or issues don't exist is just as ridiculous as complaining about every little thing.

And I'm not complaining about anything unreasonable. There people who are having trouble figuring out what's going on because the series doesn't present itself well. For example, there are people who think Oyafune Monaka died last episode because the anime rushed through that scene. Its only one small thing but when sum of all the small things can have a great effect.
Never said it was about the translation, I personally agree that it is stupid to use geoducts instead leylines.

As I said in my post, I am not saying you can't complain (somehow you people tend to overlook when this is said), the problem is when 90% of posts are of people complaining instead of having actual discussions because the anime is not perfect. You may claim you don't expect 1-1 but your comments say a different story.

As for the Oyafube Monaka thing, let's be real, even in the LN it is difficult to tell whether she did die or not (not like it was the most important detail in the volume, like at all), especially considering that the LN jumps to the airplane scene just as suddenly as in the anime. Anyone could make the same mistake whether they read the LN or just watches the anime. If anything this was mainly fault of the LN writing at the time when it was just starting to get better, so getting mad at people for this is asinine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five_Overs View Post
I would complain not because I don't enjoy it. I would love every second even if they cut the budget in half. What I'm concerned about is whether it will attract newcomers and anime only watchers. These problems can cause huge accessibility barriers.

That said, this episode is an improvement over the last. A better selection of bgm and those nice angle-shots are certainly a big help.
Like I said in my post, if you go back to the reactions to the first episode many people outside of the fanbase have been extremely happy and surprised to see a new season of Index. Besides, Index is still one of if not the most popular and well known LN series (Touma and Mikoto have topped character popularity polls even without the anime), just because people in this site love to spell doom and gloom for the series due to a handful of people not buying a copy day one does not mean it isn't still popular. So don't worry too mich about it, leave that to Kamachi.exe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post

And yeah, I don't understand all that is going on. *shrug*
Probably the series crapping on religion or something.

We're not in middle school (probably). Just because someone wants something doesn't mean you can give them bad quality and say "Well, you wanted it, I gave it, so you can't complain!"
I personally liked the old sound effect more, but I don't hate this one.

God's right seat (Vento, Aqua, Terra and Fiamma) are obssesed with reaching the literal seat of God's hand Micheal. They have gone so far as to reduce the original sin within them (that every human has because of Adam and Eve) which gives them powers that rival those of an angel and even Arch-angel.

No, this series does not crap on religion, if anything Kamachi seems to love doing the research and applying it to the series, especially later on when he delves into some pretty unknown parts of different religions.

Expecting perfection or near perfection is just as asinine. Shit happens during a production whether it is a low budget or problems with the staff and/or intervention from the higher ups, your complaining is not going to change and/or influence any of that. At the end of the day you are just complaining to yourself ro make yourself feel good.

Last edited by Chosen_Hero; 2018-10-13 at 14:26.
Chosen_Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-13, 14:36   Link #32
Tenzen12

Yeah, Kamachi does some research... then he goes into wild nonsensial tangents so result has practicaly no relation of original subject.

I think I can see why would some people call it "crapping on religion". That doesn't mean it's not sometime fun ride.
Old 2018-10-13, 17:09   Link #33
Chosen_Hero

^More like he takes that research and information and creates some sort of magic that derived from it that uses the most cryptic wording he can find.

As a christian myself, I have never thought that this series "craps on religion", heck, Touma is an atheist (but to be fair, what character isn't in media nowadays where people are afraid to touch on the theme of religion) and he is still one of my favorite characters ever.

Last edited by Chosen_Hero; 2018-10-13 at 17:21.
Chosen_Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-13, 17:21   Link #34
bakato

Kamachi makes interesting interpretations of religious material for his supernatural. I've always admired his creativity.
Old 2018-10-13, 20:51   Link #35
alex_drian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Side-streetdog View Post
Terra still look weak compare to others god right seat
Certainly, I know of his power and everything but seeing the amount of damage in battle and compare to the others just doesn't feel so impresive, but propably I dive in this the next episode. You remember to Aureolus Izzard? that was pretty crazy shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Soul View Post
So Terra has made his appearance. Even for a franchise like Raildex, I always did feel like he was one of the strangest looking characters.
Oh boy, see you later in the season 6, like in 20 years.

Nop, NEVER. I don't like it either but is this kind of series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moridin84 View Post
I think is the only that don't impart physical violence on him?

Literally years for Terra fight and despite he is some kind of Mid-Boss never felt like one, really.

Man, I hope the next episode don't mess up with the explanation of Terra power, that shit is a little difficult.

Oh, and I just found my bug with the OP. Isn't that MAON isn't as good as Mami Kawada, that isn't necessarily the problem. Is MAON trying to imitate to Mami Kawada that is the problem, I think so.
alex_drian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-13, 20:59   Link #36
Jord
Banned

The animation is just awful, same for the pacing and how the studio is cutting parts here and there making the transition between one element to another incredibly weird. The Terra part was especially bad.

I'm still having fun with the adaptation, Itsuwa always makes me happy but overall the 2 first episodes are below average, even bad sometimes. Maybe in the upcoming episodes this gets fixed since the meat of the story is coming up later.
Jord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-14, 03:50   Link #37
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

@Marina2 & Chosen Hero

This conversation has become a bit meta so I'm gonna put these in tldr tags:

TL;DR…
meta discussion about adaptation quality
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2018-10-14, 12:23   Link #38
Callum18
Fukou da

Really enjoy the episode again! Yes, its not perfect but nothing really is.

I'm just very grateful to have more Raildex anime .

If anyone would like to join the To Aru Index Skype fan club. Please do PM me (:.
Callum18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-14, 12:27   Link #39
BladeMancer
TheBladeThatRivesDivinity

Eh, for translation issues I blame CR for it. I mean, they are using terminology found in the dub so they may be forced to compensate. They may also be following yen presses script
BIG MISTAKE. They make frequent errors
I'm not watching from crunchyroll because of how botched their translations are. There are better subs that exist, edits using the correct terminology of the novels (sorry but I am not even going near the translations if Acqua of the REAR becomes a thing). Overall, the adaptation feels fine although there are some BIG issues with how revised scenes are playing out in the first episode (that Index filler scene could have had something more substantial, and the Mikoto scene could've been used to set the atmosphere instead of inserting another gag), makes me wish this adaptation was 28 episodes so they can fit everything better. The animation is a bit janky, but its passable and isn't the worst. Wouldn't exactly expect nor want masterpiece tier animation (especially if it detracts from the future arcs, British Halloween and WW3 deserve more of that budget)
Also, why are people claiming Terra phasing through things isn't a good change? It quite fits with the mysterious nature of the various powers of God's Right Seat instead of just destroying everything
Frequent use will make it dull and brittle; it's ill sheen reflecting the wielder's lost virtues and strength. Thus comes the saying that the ire of the calm, kind and gentle forges with vengful fire a fearsome bladed edge. Pray for those whose image reflects off it, for it may only stop through reconcilatory waters or icy voids of the end.
BladeMancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-16, 12:56   Link #40
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
I mean, really. Index is a series where the details are super important.

One of the reasons that the Index adaptations are inferior to the Railgun adaptations (among many other things) is that details that help explain what's going on are lost in the adaptation (As opposed to Railgun where mostly everything is kept in tact). This is due to the nature of what's being adapted; but I also lay blame to the directors and script writers (and arguably budget) for not necessarily making the most optimal adaptation decisions.

So given that there's already a layer of confusion on what's happening on screen (we've already had people mentioning they had no idea what's going on in the previous episode thread), it'll be a nightmare when a second layer of confusion is added with the wonky translation of key terms.

Two layers of confusion in a series where the details matter more than in SAO.
You know I distinctly remember that it didn't actually used to be like this. In fact throughout the majority of the first season, I remember that it was mainly about sympathising with the victim (usually a girl) and consequently cheering for the villain's face to get punched in. For me it was the characters that were the heart of the story. The details were just there to make shit cooler.

But with Season 2, I feel like it's slowly lost it. Now it's all about the details, all about the technobabble, all about the pseudo-politics. I'm feeling it less and less these days. And all the characterisation has been diluted to homeopathic levels thanks to shed loads of characters that just kept spawning. You know, instead of focusing on the ones at the beginning.

To be fair this episode wasn't that bad. I was actually kinda able to understand what was happening even if I wasn't sure what the larger context of this conflict was. And the comedy was a slight improvement this time round. Touma body slamming into the river made me lol, and Itsuwa's non-magical method of breaking the gate was amusing.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote