AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-04-08, 07:01   Link #181
Seditary
Ooooo what?!

I'd watch this just for chance at more of Rito's imouto.

Have to give it more time whether or not I'll care much about Rito himself or Lala.

Enjoyed the OP immensely though
Old 2008-04-08, 07:41   Link #182
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
You guys are gonna be disssapointed if you think Rito is gonna choose Haruna like some previous posters have said it's obvious this series was inspired by Urusei Yatsura the main character for that series didn't care for Lum but slowly he ended up falling in love with her. The same thing will happen in the series, yeah Rito clearly loves Haruna right now but he's slowly starting to have feelings for Lala, I'll still take awhile for him to be in love with her but I'll happen.
Co-sign.

No way he's going to choose Haruna whenever the manga ends, next year or 2011 or 2015... also don't expect the series to have a conclusive ending, open ending for sure unless they want to kill off any chance of a sequel.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 07:52   Link #183
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I thought Lulu was really cute (no, not entirely in that sexy way) and I think that's why this show could work. I didn't really like Moka in Rosario + Vampire and I still liked it.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 08:54   Link #184
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Ep 1

Big giant "meh" from me. I found this first ep boring.

The problem with this is that almost everything is so passe. It having a very similar premise to Urusei Yatsura doesn't do it much good, but I couldn't find anything in this first ep that was new and/or original. But there's something wrong with the comic delivery in this series. I mean, a stampede of elephants walking over the hapless male lead at the critical moment should be funny, yet I was staring at this scene and thinking to myself "why am I not laughing". There were actually quite a few of these moments, where I knew I had just seen a joke, and it wasn't a bad joke (not that this episode didn't have bad jokes, but, c'mon, this is fanservice anime so it's expected), and yet I just couldn't laugh at it. It's weird.

Maybe there's a certain point where something becomes so passe that even its good jokes just aren't funny, even though they would be in other circumstances. Maybe To Love Ru has passed that point. We'll see. It's a lot better than Kanokon so far, I'll give it that, but that doesn't say a lot.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 09:13   Link #185
ZODDGUTS

Sorry if I'm going on like a broken record but don't give up on the show! Give it a few more episodes let the characters be introduce first aftwards that's when it all finally clicks together.

BTW Didn't mention this before but I did not expect for warp-kun to have that sort of voice it's going to take awile to get use to it.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 09:38   Link #186
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
Ep 1

Big giant "meh" from me. I found this first ep boring.

The problem with this is that almost everything is so passe. It having a very similar premise to Urusei Yatsura doesn't do it much good, but I couldn't find anything in this first ep that was new and/or original. But there's something wrong with the comic delivery in this series. I mean, a stampede of elephants walking over the hapless male lead at the critical moment should be funny, yet I was staring at this scene and thinking to myself "why am I not laughing". There were actually quite a few of these moments, where I knew I had just seen a joke, and it wasn't a bad joke (not that this episode didn't have bad jokes, but, c'mon, this is fanservice anime so it's expected), and yet I just couldn't laugh at it. It's weird.

Maybe there's a certain point where something becomes so passe that even its good jokes just aren't funny, even though they would be in other circumstances. Maybe To Love Ru has passed that point. We'll see. It's a lot better than Kanokon so far, I'll give it that, but that doesn't say a lot.
Nobody said it wasn't pretty cliche, which it is. To me, the cuteness overrides any need for comedy. That and the ridiculous fanservice. I guess it depends on what each viewer expects. I agree that in terms of comedy, it was more of a smirk for me than LOL.

IMO, as a coherent show, I think Kanokon has more going for it because of its strange animal-spirit theme that shows some sign of promise. I think ToLoveRu needs more unique situations aside from its very straightforward first ep. We've seen that kind of first ep many times before. It's usually the filler eps that are supposed to do something off the wall. Ironic but true for these types of fanservice/light-comedy shows.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 09:59   Link #187
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

A good replacement for fan service after Rosario to Vampire.

Story combination of Tenchi Muyo and School Rumble. Why?

Alien Girls. - Tenchi Muyo.

Rito Confesses to the Wrong girl - Harima to Eri

Originality. The Dress!!! OHHHH~~~!! LALA!!!
Old 2008-04-08, 10:01   Link #188
Westlo
Lets be reality

If you like her dress now wait to you see Lala later on!
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 10:34   Link #189
ZODDGUTS

Oh boy the clothes the characters wear in this series is always made of win like recently in the manga were one girl wears a
Spoiler for reference to a popular movie:
Old 2008-04-08, 14:15   Link #190
siber222000
미, 미, 미 미쿠루빔~!!!

for some reason i keep thinking rito will choose haruna instead of lala =_=.. weird lol
Spoiler:
only 25 episodes to go til i find out lol.
Old 2008-04-08, 15:06   Link #191
Jobrill

Man, once again, I can tell I chose the wrong love in a Harem Anime. At first glance, I like Haruna a lot more, but at this point I would be surprised if it ISN'T a Rito/Lala ending - not because that's the best ending, but because that's the ending most in keeping with the cliches of the genre. Too bad. Haruna seems a lot more mature and genuine.
Jobrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 15:08   Link #192
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Well Rito isn't in love with Lala yet seen as she appeared from nowhere. But he does find her attractive. Even if he doesn't love her as much as Haruna, over time those feelings will definitely grow (and it is about the oldest trick in the book ).

I still think the transformation is over the top

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 18:14   Link #193
Seditary
Ooooo what?!

Yes, for the first time, I groaned and shook my head over a transformation sequence.

That was just ridiculous, some weird bat robot thing turns into a bunch of tentacles that go semi hentai on her with full moaning and facial expressions and that's her changing clothes?

Come on now...
Old 2008-04-08, 18:18   Link #194
ZODDGUTS

How's the video quality from nice boat group? The 640x480 vid from Ayako had a faded type of look or is that suppose to look? Same goes with the with the H.264 vid from Ayako does it have the faded look as well?
Old 2008-04-08, 18:52   Link #195
Seditary
Ooooo what?!

What do you mean by faded look? Seemed just fine to me.
Old 2008-04-08, 19:06   Link #196
ZODDGUTS

Hmm maybe faded wasn't the right word but it look video quality wise like it came from the mid 90's it doesn't have the bright and shiny look to it like most anime have these days. I think it may have been done like that by the animation studio to make it have that sort of look. I'm probably not making any sense here lol hopefully somebody understands as to what I'm trying to say.
Old 2008-04-08, 19:08   Link #197
X207
Gamyūsa

im currently in the middle of watching ep1, within 10 seconds i heard mu la flaga. am i correct in saying the same VA is using the same voice for the character zastin?
X207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 19:14   Link #198
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seditary View Post
Yes, for the first time, I groaned and shook my head over a transformation sequence.

That was just ridiculous, some weird bat robot thing turns into a bunch of tentacles that go semi hentai on her with full moaning and facial expressions and that's her changing clothes?

Come on now...
I see that we're going to maintain only the highest of literary motifs in this series.... closet tentacle monster - check.

Yeah... I'm sensing light-hearted silliness with some puffed up drama near the end --- but definitely in the vein of Love Hina (hopefully with a *real* ending of a sort though unlike that reference). My god, the VA - she must drink a LOT of coffee

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-04-08 at 19:29.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 19:24   Link #199
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by X207 View Post
im currently in the middle of watching ep1, within 10 seconds i heard mu la flaga. am i correct in saying the same VA is using the same voice for the character zastin?
Yes, indeed Takehito Koyasu is doing Zastin's VA.
Old 2008-04-08, 19:31   Link #200
X207
Gamyūsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Yes, indeed Takehito Koyasu is doing Zastin's VA.
ty, there was no mistaking the voice. though the MA fight did help alot to get the voice recognition instantly.
X207 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, ecchi, harem, romance, school life, shounen, xebec