AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-03-11, 00:54   Link #21
frowndog
Poof... time warp

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabolistic
i have to disagree with you, frowndog.

many people see li mu bai as the main character in the film.. but the way i interpret it, the princess is the main protagonist. the story isn't so much a story about a sword, or a love story.. its about a person choosing their own fate/destiny (hence Jenn's reluctance to give up the sword, to give up the green destiny)

if you look at it this way, CTHD becomes a much deeper film, delving into issues more profound than Hero's "ends justifies the means" moral.

again,.. this is just how i saw the film
Only if you feel that Hero is something as simple as "end justifies the means". It speaks to the necessity of violence in a state and its paradoxical relationship with peace. If there were no violence, there could be no peace because violence, or the threat of violence is what would otherwise keep peace in line.

Anyway, I probably am just biased because I really like Zhang Yimou movies and I was majorly disappointed with CTHD being an Oscar movie and Hero was not. We're entitled to our own opinions anyway, and to those who haven't seen Hero, watch it. Now.
frowndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-11, 01:01   Link #22
PeppstaR
AG Art Studios

Send a message via AIM to PeppstaR Send a message via Yahoo to PeppstaR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchop
Holy Sh*t!!! You're right and all this time i thought it was him...oh well...thanks for correcting me

No prob.

Now you guys need to go watch 'The Duel'
Am I the only one that's seen it? The Duel is a good movie. Cool fighting scenes, pretty girls, good looking guys and the some funny stuff too so everyone is happy.
PeppstaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-11, 01:03   Link #23
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

Iron Monkey was more of a comedy for me

FLYING SLEEEEVE
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-11, 02:14   Link #24
Bun-kun
Liberal Screamer

Send a message via AIM to Bun-kun
Iron Monkey is awesome, but i don't think it starred Chow Yun Fat, but it does star Donnie Yen is a very popular chinese action star. Umm if you like drama I suggest A chinese ghost storie, good story many adaptation of it, there's even an anime made for it. I also would recommend any of Live-evil live action series, they all are done pretty well, and they are all adaptations of Jin Yongs novels. Jin Yong could be consider China's most famous wuxia(martial art) author in our era. Umm and you can't really go wrong with any this tsui hark does so check them out.
Bun-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-11, 02:44   Link #25
Umbrae
Generic Human

Iorn monky is a good movie, but I find it hard to match Crouching tiger hidden dragon. Despite the cast for it that was just great. the story was also quite well written. The action scene follow classic chinese martial art film rules (Gravity is subjective to the moment ect), yet still well played out.

Also, thier were several sub love stories in it. the forbidden love between Li Mu Bai (Chou Yun-Fat) and Yu Shu Lien (Michelle Yeoh), and the not forbiden but impossible love between Jen Yu (Ziyi Zhang), and Lo 'Dark Cloud' (Chen Chang).

I owen this on DVD and still enjoy watching it from time to time.
Umbrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-11, 02:58   Link #26
Mockingbird's pilot

Send a message via ICQ to Mockingbird's pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thyrz
..Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

I saw it on TV and it was very good.. Know any movies as good as this one?

thanks
BICHUNMOO Flying worrier... Ups, warrior, of course.
A lot of long jumps, sword play and a beautiful story of 2 lovers. (Korean Romeo vs. Juliet)
Mockingbird's pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-11, 20:14   Link #27
Space_Shinobi
Elite_Shinobi

Send a message via AIM to Space_Shinobi Send a message via MSN to Space_Shinobi Send a message via Yahoo to Space_Shinobi
crouching tiger hidden dragon is a great movie...
Spoiler:

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2004-03-12 at 02:18. Reason: added spoiler tags
Space_Shinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-11, 22:31   Link #28
frowndog
Poof... time warp

You really should have placed that in a spoiler tag or something...

One more thing i didn't like about CTHD was the flying scenes. There were NO sound efects for it. Raised on a steady diet of Chinese Kungfu flicks, i found it incredibly disconcerting to see people FLOATING in CTHD. I know its a dumb reason but it really decreased the effect of the movie for me
Old 2004-03-11, 23:53   Link #29
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
I like the corny whooshing sounds that the people make. it makes it better (for me)and you. yes.

Hae you tried returner yet?
hobobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-12, 04:16   Link #30
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Good one. That was absolutely fantastic. I had trouble with the subtitles also, but I finally got it them to play on the PC even though they didn't play on my DVD player.
Grab a bootleg did we .

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabolistic
in terms of story, i thought that crouching tiger was better than hero

if you're looking for a classic, try "Zu: Warriors from the Magic Mountain" a classic film with drama, action, and lots of flying swordsman. a warning: don't mistaken this classic wuxia for the craptastic remake titled, "legend of zu," it stars big names like cecilia cheung, zhang ziyi, and ekins cheng.. but the film is utter garbage.
The first one is definitly better but the funny thing is that both movies were made by the same guy Tsui Hark.

Oh and Dragons Inn is classic, Unfortuantly I saw it in english dub first but man was it hilarious with dubs. Seriously I laughed so hard the first time I watched that movie. Oh and Tsui Hark directed that movie as well I believe.

The Chinese Ghost Story movies are good, those are worth checking out. The Legend of Drunken Master is also a great film, Jackie Chan is in it. Iron Monkey with Donnie Yen is badass as everyone has already mentioned and he is in Hero as well (the first fight). Hero is an awesome movie, it may confuse you the first time through though. Another great thing about Hero is it has some of the best cinematography I have ever seen, it really is a beautiful movie.

Some Jet Li movies are also worth mentioning like Fong Sai Yuk I and II (also called the legend 1 and 2), Swordsman 2, Tai Chi Master (Twin Warriors), and Fist of legend. Not all of these movies have good storylines but they have excellent fight scenes.

Oh yes and I have seen The Duel and I do not recommend it.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-12, 04:33   Link #31
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy
Quote:
Good one. That was absolutely fantastic. I had trouble with the subtitles also, but I finally got it them to play on the PC even though they didn't play on my DVD player.
Grab a bootleg did we
I feel insulted. I bought it at Sam Goody. Many Hong Kong movies are subtitled in english and exported to America from Hong Kong. That doesn't make them bootlegs though, since it is done by the same company that makes the movie. This is as legal as it comes, but their quality control is often quite poor. Someone who has seen a number of HK movies should have a clue.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-12, 05:05   Link #32
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Quote:
I feel insulted. I bought it at Sam Goody. Many Hong Kong movies are subtitled in english and exported to America from Hong Kong. That doesn't make them bootlegs though, since it is done by the same company that makes the movie. This is as legal as it comes, but their quality control is often quite poor. Someone who has seen a number of HK movies should have a clue.
Don't worry I was just joking, I am aware that obviously you of all people would know what to stay away from. Sorry If I offended you.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-12, 05:39   Link #33
wao
OK.

I have never watched CTHD but I strongly advise you watch Hero. Even if it may seem very long and boring to a lot of people, I personally agree wholeheartedly with NoSanninWa on this. I swear, it is a *VERY* good film. Not only does it have BEAUTIFUL cinametography, it also has some very shocking and wonderful moments. Especially the twist right in the middle! I got so drawn into the story I never considered the possibility. It's very artistic.

The only thing I didn't like about Hero was teh ending. Bleh. It was a bit... annoying, but I can accept it.
wao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-12, 06:57   Link #34
haunterex

Send a message via ICQ to haunterex
i didnt like CTHD that much, mainly because it's been done before. A lot of chinese action movies set in ancient china are like that, at least the ones made in the 70s, 80s, and early90s. So to me, since i have seen a lot of chinese movie when i was small, CTHD is a good memory to the early HK movie industry.
The HK entertainment industry is total garbage now. Singers that can't sing get albums released solely because of their looks, actors that cant act get to star in films, just because they are good looking or because they sleep with their bosses.
The movies that are made recently are horrible, filled with shitty acting and horrible storyline.

HOWEVER, if u like watching asian movie, you HAVE to watch INFERNAL AFFAIRS.
It's the best film that have came out from HK for a long time. It storms HK and China with positive rating. It's a considerable hit in asian, and it got very well comments and reviews in the German international film festival. I think it's airing in UK right now, and some US company bought the license for it US.
There will be an US remake of infernal affairs soon, but dont expect the US remake version will be the same as the HK version.
i personally love infernal affairs 1,2 and 3 very much. There arent many actions in them, but the story and the psychological effects set because the films really make u think.
1 is about the two main characters, one is a mole in the police force for the most powerful hk triad, and the other is a undercover agent hidden in the most powerful HK triad. The story is about both of them trying to find out who the mole is on the otherside, while confronting their haunted past and their mentality.
it's played by andy lau, tony leung, and some of the best actors in the HK industry, it's a must watch!.
2 is about the early 10 years when the main characters just started their mole life.
it requires less thinking for this film but it really adds up to the story.
3 is set in times after the first film, and some untold flashbacks just before the first film beginning, not as good as the first one, but still one of the best films out htere and it really completes the story.

again,
i know this is off topic a bit, but watch the INFERNAL AFFAIRS series, i guarantee u wont be dissappointed.
haunterex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-12, 09:00   Link #35
Thyrz
Laidback Luke

I've only seen Iron Monkey and CTHD (Yep noob at anime AND asian movies ; )) so I wouldn't know about those old movies.

I will try to get Hero and IA somewhere.
The Legend of Drunken Master, I think I watched this one already and it wasn't as good as CTHD ; )
Shaolin Soccer I saw also, that sucked :P Thanks for the tips.
Thyrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-12, 11:29   Link #36
frowndog
Poof... time warp

Quote:
Originally Posted by haunterex
HOWEVER, if u like watching asian movie, you HAVE to watch INFERNAL AFFAIRS.
It's the best film that have came out from HK for a long time.
You MUST really love Andy Lau to actually post in TWO threads proclaiming the greatness of internal affairs (was it infernal? i actually think its internal). Are you his personal publicist or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao

The only thing I didn't like about Hero was teh ending. Bleh. It was a bit... annoying, but I can accept it.
I actually felt that the ending was very fitting to the movie. Some knock down drag out bloodbath would have been the more obvious choice but the writer/director decided to take on a different approach. That the greater good is above everything else, even a life.
Old 2004-03-12, 13:25   Link #37
luniz

Quote:
Very different. On the other hand it is really awesome, so see it even though it is so different. About all that the two movies have in common is martial arts.

I don't know how you can say that. Both had some pretty scenery. Romance. Fighting and action. Betrayal, trust...I dunno what's so different.
luniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-12, 14:50   Link #38
PeppstaR
AG Art Studios

Send a message via AIM to PeppstaR Send a message via Yahoo to PeppstaR
What about "The Duel"

It's like watching an anime. It's funny and has cool fighting scenes.
PeppstaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-12, 23:23   Link #39
Jax

Send a message via AIM to Jax
You're going to be hard pressed to find a movie like "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon". However you will be happy to know that a prequel is in the making. whether or not Chow Yun-Fat will return is still being decided but Ang Lee will be returning as director so you can look forward to a lot more flying.
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-13, 15:29   Link #40
mono no aware

Most martial arts movies revolve around the central concepts of 情 qing and 义 yi (roughly translated as feelings and morals), similar to the notions of 人情 ninjo and 義理 giri in Japanese culture.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon stays close to this framework though it is probably more "distilled" than most in the genre.

Many have a larger historical context - usually patriotic themes like the unification of China (Hero) or native resistance to foreign incursions (Huang Fei-Hung, released in English-speaking countries as Once upon a Time in China, a martial arts classic which I highly recommend).

You might also want to try 东邪西毒 Dung Che Sai Duk/Dongxie Xidu (released in the West as Ashes of Time). Quite different from most martial arts movies, melancholic and poetic.
mono no aware is offline   Reply With Quote