AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2007-07-28, 22:02   Link #141
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I guess I'm going to have to seek out this Aria everyone keeps referencing in various threads..... no I haven't seen it and have no idea what flavor of entertainment it is.
Old 2007-07-29, 00:46   Link #142
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I guess I'm going to have to seek out this Aria everyone keeps referencing in various threads..... no I haven't seen it and have no idea what flavor of entertainment it is.
I'd call it slice of life, but to me that really doesnt do it justice...All I can say is check it out for yourself and im sure you'll quickly form an opinion about it either negative or positive.

And i'd be ecstatic if they where to ever make a second season. I can honestly say there's no character i've come across that can make me laugh as hard as miu does consistently.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-29, 07:25   Link #143
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Slice of life can mean a lot of things depending on what kind of life the slices are taken from. I admit Aria was a clear miss for me, it was slower than Bincho-tan! But i agree with Kimichi that the show is easy to judge. One, two episodes will suffice to decide if you like it or not.
Old 2007-07-29, 12:26   Link #144
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Are we speaking of ARIA the Animation (13 eps) ... or ARIA the Natural? (26 eps)

Found a sub group, haven't yet checked to see if the files are still available or not.
Old 2007-07-29, 12:35   Link #145
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Same franchise. Aria the Natural is the sequel.
Old 2007-07-31, 04:27   Link #146
janfive

i just watched the episodes, great ova.

there's just one part that's been on my mind
on the first ova:

I didnt understand the part where nobue said "Surreal"
while reading a manga (I don't know who made it) where
there is a priest and bride and groom and the priest ate
spaghetti and the bride jumped on the back of the groom
and the priest gave an okay thumb sign.

i didnt get the joke
janfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-31, 05:48   Link #147
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Neither did Nobue. Thus her comment.
Old 2007-07-31, 14:04   Link #148
herbert

I guess it is not a joke, but the weirdness of the way Miu thinking. Much like Nagi's manga (Hayate the Combat Butler), we normal huamn are not supposed to understand.
Old 2007-08-02, 00:16   Link #149
janfive

Surreal = dreamlike = bunuelesque = weird = surreal
to quote miu: " such is life"
I love this show, especially miu,
I replace Osaka of Azumanga for her
as the character I am most fond of.
Of course I don't want her to be near me in real life. lol
janfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-04, 12:25   Link #150
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Send a message via Yahoo to G. Zeus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Found a sub group, haven't yet checked to see if the files are still available or not.
Your better off leeching in mIRC than trying out torrents, it's much faster that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
The OVAs were almost as good as the original show.
Yeah. The 12-episode series had a much smoother flow and the comic scenes had better setups. The last few minutes of the show were probably the best in the OAV but they can't hold a candle to 花 (Flower) or プレゼント (Present) episodes from the animated series.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
<º))))><.¸.•´¯`•.¸reviews¸.•´¯`•.¸links¸.•´¯`•.¸.><((((º>
G. Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-05, 18:30   Link #151
Kempis Curious
:love::love::love:

Location: Loving a peaceful life in San Clemente, California.
Quote:
Originally Posted by janfive View Post
i just watched the episodes, great ova.

there's just one part that's been on my mind
on the first ova:

I didnt understand the part where nobue said "Surreal"
while reading a manga (I don't know who made it) where
there is a priest and bride and groom and the priest ate
spaghetti and the bride jumped on the back of the groom
and the priest gave an okay thumb sign.

i didnt get the joke
Yeah, I think that one needed more clarification. In the manga it was shown that Miu was the one who drew that comic. It's just another bit of Miu's deadpan absurdist humor. In the manga it wasn't too memorable... but in the OVA episode I thought it made a big statement: stories don't have to have impossible situations in order to be interesting or funny. Most of the funny situations in that episode around Nobue were about the smallest annoyances in life... lighting a cigarette even though one is already lit, trying to fill the gas tank to exactly 400 yen, cigarette ash falling into your drink, etc.

That was one of my favorite episodes of IM. It kinda sucks that there's not going to be anymore.

-k

curious
Kempis Curious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-05, 19:28   Link #152
Kempis Curious
:love::love::love:

Location: Loving a peaceful life in San Clemente, California.
Well... that was a great anime

... surely in the top 20 of the hundreds of animes I've seen. It also gets the Kempis Curious Award for Best Voice Acting.

Does anyone have any recommendations for animes being released now? Right now only Lucky Star gives me that "Hooray! A new episode!" feeling when I see it listed*. Recently there were a lot of them, but they've all ended... Emma, Aria, Bartender, etc. And before them it was Honey and Clover, Ouran Host Club, and the YKK and Emma mangas.

-k

curious

Not that I'm complaining but there are also some series which I'm happy to see episodes released, but they are taking soooo looong that don't feel so excited when they do come out.... I'm thinking of Hanada specifically, there are probably more. Also the awesome Legend of the Galactic Heroes which recently finally ended the main series. I've been following it since episode 1 which came out around four years ago.
Kempis Curious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-05, 21:17   Link #153
Ashlotte
Clockwork

While this season is quite robust I can't really say as there's any show im watching right now that has a nice relaxed pace like this or the others you listed had Kempis. The slowest paced show im viewing atm would probably be Code-E, but that doesnt even come close to H&C or Aria pacing hah.

When I think about it I too would be curious to know if anyone has any picks for this season with a deliberately slow pacing?

Oh and about the manga miu made...Personally it made more of a impact on me in the manga because as I recall it was told across a few different segments instead of it being all at once like in the OVA. Still a good way to further drive home miu's wierdness though.

I'm sure if id known someone as odd as that in my younger years they would've become a great deal more memorable...For better or worse.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-16, 18:04   Link #154
thefinalrune

I know this is a really old topic, but I can't seem to find the information I need and this it the most relevant topic available.

I absolutely adore Ichigo Mashimaro and I've seen ever single episode, including the OVAs. Sadly, I can't find out if Hoshi ga Mitsu has ever released or plans to release a fansub of the third OVA. I watched the Anime Yuki fansub and while I loved the show, there were several grammatical errors in the translation (that is, the errors were in the grammar use of the english subs, not the translations themselves). I love HgM's subs for the OVAs and I'd so love to add the third one to my collection.

Did HgM ever sub the third episode or do they plan to? Does anyone have the third OVA by them if its already out? I've been looking for this episode since late May of '07 and have yet to had any luck.
thefinalrune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-16, 19:39   Link #155
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The third OVA is still being seeded and leeched but was produced by another group.
As far as I know HgM just never got around to the third one.

http://orochiaria.homeunix.net:8080/...5D.mkv.torrent

I grabbed this torrent link off of AS. I turned my seed on just in case but it looks like there are still a small handful of seeders.
Old 2007-10-16, 21:14   Link #156
Joojoobees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx sez
(just like japanese fans buy the DVDs after watching the broadcast series, eh?)
That's a really good point. I watch subs to find the good shows (like Ichigo Mashimaru) and then buy the discs ... if they get released in the US.
Old 2007-11-11, 17:17   Link #157
Mueti
あ!

Send a message via ICQ to Mueti
Ah, Ichigo Mashimaro was great, really refreshing. I love it. Unforgettable characters. Probably the best slice of life-comedy since Azumanga Daioh, and that's saying a lot.
Old 2010-04-05, 00:29   Link #158
Compass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueti View Post
Ah, Ichigo Mashimaro was great, really refreshing. I love it. Unforgettable characters. Probably the best slice of life-comedy since Azumanga Daioh, and that's saying a lot.
I agree. I'm always trying to find anime that's as cute and charming as those two series and have so far been unsuccessful (Lucky Star was a definite miss [though not terrible]).

I know this thread is ancient, but could someone seed the 3-episode OVA series? I have the original and am now d/l'ing encore, so I'm just missing those 3.

[Edit]: Sorry, just saw the reseed request area. I'll post in there.
Compass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, seinen, slice of life