AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-07-01, 22:19   Link #1
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Stupid Azureus problem

Okay, I was trying to install the plugin ScaneRSS, like Green2 explains in this guide. The thing is the automatic installation wizard seems to be buggy and it didn't fetch the plugin correctly. However, it did create a log for the installation. Now, when I saw I wasn't going anywhere with that wizard, I went for a direct install from file, and it wouldn't let me saying the plugin was already installed. I tried uninstalling it, and it spits out an error, and the log stays there.

I want to erase that damn log. There seems to be no help from the azureus.config file in the .azureus configuration folder (I'm running Linux, BTW), nor from the plugin subdirectory in the same folder. I might add, it's one of the most user-unfriendly configuration files I've seen in my entire life.

So, how do I do it? Full Azureus reinstall? I'm too lazy to do that XD

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-02, 05:22   Link #2
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

I can try to install it, but my Azureus is still version 2.5.04 unlike 3.0 in the describtion. What does it do anyway?
It has filters where green² put some anime name, so it may be some kind of search tool?

Edit:
Ok, i tried and heres what happened:
I chose scaneRSS from the list to install. After that clicked through the dialoge until the last part, where it says something like "chosen plugin is being installed, please have patience, click on the left for a statusbar" (rough translation from german). There is no statusbar on the left and nowhere to click though.
It doesnt get installed.
The only thing it does is creating a folder named "scanerss" in the plugin directory (in XP).
That folder is empty though.

I guess there must be some problem with getting the files from sourceforge. Maybe they changed something and didnt update the list?

@ your problem:
I dont see how the log would keep you from installing it manually. I cant figure out from your post, but where is that log in the linux filesystem?
Anyway, if Azureus does the same in linux as it does in XP here, you would have to find that new folder it created, named "scanerss" and delete it. I dont have any idea where it would be in linux though. Try a search all over root, maybe it put it in some weird location.

Edit#2:
After deleting the folder it created during the first, unsuccessful install, I could install it manually from the .jar file from sourceforge.
Now... what is it good for?
I have entered animesuki and baka-updates rss-feeds. They get listed right there and get updated too. So I can see the newest feed-headlines (=torren names) but when I click them, nothing happenes. :/

Last edited by Dhomochevsky; 2007-07-02 at 06:42.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-02, 07:32   Link #3
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Damn, I realized what I was doing wrong. I hadn't deleted the scanerss folder in the .azureus personal configuration folder. I suck.

At any rate, it still doesn't install correctly, not even from file @_@. It spits out some errors that have nothing to do with it being not properly uninstalled. Maybe it's v3.0 exclusive, but I don't see a version notice anywhere...

Old 2007-07-02, 07:42   Link #4
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

It did give an error for me, telling me it couldnt be recognised as an official azureus plugin and asked to confirm.
I did and after that it installed.

But I still cant download anything with it. I made a filter that would let any file pass through, so there is a list on the right, with all animesuki torrents. But I cant do anything with it.

@version:
You need at least Azureus v2.5 (with latest updates) according to their page.
Old 2007-07-02, 07:51   Link #5
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Meh, I can't make it work. Well, it looked like a helpful plugin... I think I'll have to resort to the good ol' manual downloading.

Old 2007-07-02, 07:54   Link #6
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

I use WizzRSS for Firefox to browse those RSS feeds usually.
It doesnt start the files by itself, but its just one click, so idc.
Old 2007-07-02, 10:40   Link #7
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Yeah, but the idea is that the torrent can start when I'm not home.

Old 2007-07-03, 13:38   Link #8
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Have Azureus run with root privileges or somehow specify another common plugins path. In Vista, Azureus has the same problem installing in folders that are under system protection, but if you install Azureus in a folder you have full privileges, it installs all plugins for all users normally, otherwise you have to install them for yourself only.
Old 2007-07-03, 16:20   Link #9
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I run Azureus out of cron overnight. Create a file with a text editor that looks like this:

Code:
0 23 * * * /usr/local/bin/azureus/azureus > /dev/null 2>&1
0  7 * * * killall -15 java > /dev/null 2>&1
replacing /usr/local/bin/azureus/azureus with the complete path to your azureus binary. Then run the command "crontab filename" to use the file you wrote to create an entry in /var/spool/cron under your username. See "man crontab" for details.

The fields at the start of each line represent times. The first line tells cron to start Azureus at 23:00 every day of the week; the latter tells it to kill the java process (gracefully using signal 15) at 7:00 am every day. The remaining three fields represent day of month, month, and day of week. Read "man 5 crontab" for details on the file format.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-03, 19:49   Link #10
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
Have Azureus run with root privileges or somehow specify another common plugins path. In Vista, Azureus has the same problem installing in folders that are under system protection, but if you install Azureus in a folder you have full privileges, it installs all plugins for all users normally, otherwise you have to install them for yourself only.
Well, in fact, the Azureus I downloaded from the main page had already a precompiled binary (the one in the Ubuntu repositories is too old -version 2.1- and crashes on start). I have all the files set on my home folder, so I'm running it with full privileges.

Now that I read again, maybe that was the problem--trying to install the plugin for all users. I'll try now installing it for a single user.

@SeijiSensei:

The problem isn't running Azureus (I've got it running all day long), the thing is, I want Azureus to automatically check the RSS feed and grab the torrent file when it becomes available and I'm not home.

UPDATE: You know what? npal was right. Stupid me >.<

Old 2007-07-04, 05:27   Link #11
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

If you manage to make it actually start a download on shedule, please share with us.
I have gotten to the point where it filters the feeds for files and it actually choses the right files, but will never start any downloads.

Feed is on the left, filtered files are on the right. You will see what I mean once you write a filter I guess.
Old 2007-07-04, 07:36   Link #12
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Okay, I'll do that But we'll have to wait till a torrent is released (it won't start downloading those that already are in the feed, or so I think).

Old 2007-07-04, 08:19   Link #13
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I wrote a tutorial for you, Wk.
Hope it helps.. more importantly, hope it works for you.

I posted it in Greeny's thread.
Old 2007-07-05, 07:02   Link #14
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Okay, I'll do that But we'll have to wait till a torrent is released (it won't start downloading those that already are in the feed, or so I think).
It doesnt start old ones? Oh hm.. then maybe it works and I didnt notice.
I never let it active long enough for new torrents to show up, have to try.
But if thats the case, why is there even an option if you right click them: "download" ? (which doesnt do anything btw)
And what if you miss the moment a torrent came in, because Azureus was off at that time.. it should be able to get those torrents too once you start it later. This plugin is odd. :>

Edit:
Stop the press! It works now.
There is a little option: "advanced" that you have to check in the filter options and you need to enter the category (whatever that is) and download path there. Meh.. I figured there should be some option for path SOMEWHERE, but couldnt find it. I mean, how is something, thats essential to the whole thing working at all "advanced"? I would call it very basic really... -_-

Now that I entered the path into one filter, it uses it for all filters on default. No idea why it didnt use the Azureus default path to begin with. Bottom line: I am not sure why, but it works.
Lets see what happens when new Claymore comes out.

btw. does the lookup feature work for you?
This would be VERY nice to have. I normally look up unknown names at anidb. It s included here to lookup by rightclick, but somehow it always gives me about any anime in history as a positive hit on anidb. :/
Not very useful that way, hm?

Last edited by Dhomochevsky; 2007-07-05 at 07:29.
Old 2007-07-05, 12:26   Link #15
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Plugin settings are in Tool / Options / Plugins. ( sometimes the actual plugins are there )
I had the default directory set and it still didn't work for me, you did something else.
Old 2007-08-04, 01:38   Link #16
silki

Thumbs up

Quote:
The thing is the automatic installation wizard seems to be buggy and it didn't fetch the plugin correctly.
So, how do I do it? Full Azureus reinstall? I'm too lazy to do that XD
Here's a pretty good tutorial on installing ScaneRSS with Azureus. It covers how to get around the whole installer wizard problem.

It's uses Windows XP as an example, but if you're running linux, you're probably smart enough to translate the file path differences

Hope that helps you (it worked for me)
silki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-04, 01:53   Link #17
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Thanks, but I already got it to work. It was a matter of writing rights (it was trying to write in a root folder, I had to enable administrative rights when I was installing the plugin. Thanks anyways ).

Old 2007-08-05, 09:10   Link #18
silki

Quote:
Thanks, but I already got it to work. It was a matter of writing rights (it was trying to write in a root folder, I had to enable administrative rights when I was installing the plugin. Thanks anyways ).
No problem, glad to hear you got it working!
silki is offline   Reply With Quote