AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-03-20, 22:13   Link #1881
Nosauz

Talk about garbage on Television. As an American I feel ashamed that this was broadcasted on public television. These comments are asinine at best, and these people really have no right to be critiquing the Canadian Army. With out them this world still would be in the hands of Hitler... And to disrespect all the Canadians that have died fighting the War on Terror in Afghanistan is just a mockery of our own lost soldiers. These people on Fox News call themselves patriots when they belittle the sacrifices our armed forces have made is just moronic.
Old 2009-03-20, 22:37   Link #1882
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post

Talk about garbage on Television. As an American I feel ashamed that this was broadcasted on public television. These comments are asinine at best, and these people really have no right to be critiquing the Canadian Army. With out them this world still would be in the hands of Hitler... And to disrespect all the Canadians that have died fighting the War on Terror in Afghanistan is just a mockery of our own lost soldiers. These people on Fox News call themselves patriots when they belittle the sacrifices our armed forces have made is just moronic.
I think you're over reacting a bit there. That's Red Eye. It's on fox news, but that's more like a ripoff of The Daily Show, only without the actual comedy. It's hard enough to take the supposedly "real news" programs on fox news serisously, but I'm pretty sure that one is distinctly in the fake news catagory.
Old 2009-03-20, 23:30   Link #1883
Nosauz

I don't think I'm overreacting. Since I don't watch Fox News and they tout themselves to be one of/the best news source I'm to take what they brand as Fox News as a news, and this show is completely dispicable. Mocking the deaths of troops who try to protect our way of life whether its for comedy or hell anything is wrong. And Stewart/Colbert at least let the audience know that their really not a news show.

P.S. Mocking the dead especially those that serve to protect our liberties is beyond me. Mocking an administration you disapprove fine, but the dead have no ability to defend themselves and considering they sacrificed/payed the highest price to protect our ideals to go bash them on a "fake news" show still doesn't justify this despicable act.
Old 2009-03-21, 08:35   Link #1884
Kakashi
カカシ

Send a message via MSN to Kakashi
They're not really mocking the death of troops per se, but the Canadian military as an institution. I loled at the dude who said it's not a *smart culture* because everything isn't bullet-proof like in the US.

They fit the "stupid American" stereotype quite snuggly, which means they're arrogant and bigoted and should be ignored.
Old 2009-03-21, 13:11   Link #1885
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

Send a message via MSN to ClockWorkAngel
Ugh, that really disgusts me, I can't believe they got the nerve to spew out Anti-Canadian crap on TV. The Canadian Troops stationed in Afghanistan are positioned in one of the most dangerous districts of Afghanistan and they got the nerve that to imply we're pussying it out?

It's always ironic to see news figures spouting how "cowardly" another country's soldier are while they stay at home snug and safe. But yea, they do fit the sterotypical "stupid Americian",. But something's wrong with their country if there's so many on TV.

And it's funny they've talked about invasion, its a good thing they greed too much for our oil, gas, lumber and water.

Credit To Risa-chan!
Old 2009-03-21, 14:15   Link #1886
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

^It's Fox News. You either do not take it seriously, or you...hope the other guy doesn't take it seriously. Sadly a lot of people take it seriously.

It's a comedy program in any case, although the comedy is utterly low-brow and tasteless, with an ironic lack of the irony (get it? ) that makes the Daily Show or the Colbert Report fun. I have to admit, though, when Fox News claim it's making satire, and it's saying something ridiculously close to the message it's been sending out for years, I get an urge to rage too. I don't pay much attention to them, but apparently recently they've been saying things like "It's time for a Tea Party!" or "What if...now just what if...the military coups and liberates us from the Obamacommie regime?" Like, yeah. :/
Old 2009-03-21, 14:30   Link #1887
sa547
*Author

No surprises about the usual Fox News stuff. Making controversy to get some people riled up is the part of their breakfast, lunch and dinner. That's the First Amendment at work.
Old 2009-03-21, 14:56   Link #1888
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

Yar to that, unfortunately they're not as funny as the Daily Show or the Colbert Report (I watch them both) it might be because they're not exaggerating it enough :/.

Credit To Risa-chan!
Old 2009-03-21, 15:09   Link #1889
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

I recommend we send a team of our crack lumberjack commandos to go beat some sense into Fox News. Canadians don't need armoured everything to kick your ass.
Old 2009-03-21, 15:20   Link #1890
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
^It's Fox News. You either do not take it seriously, or you...hope the other guy doesn't take it seriously. Sadly a lot of people take it seriously.

It's a comedy program in any case, although the comedy is utterly low-brow and tasteless, with an ironic lack of the irony (get it? ) that makes the Daily Show or the Colbert Report fun. I have to admit, though, when Fox News claim it's making satire, and it's saying something ridiculously close to the message it's been sending out for years, I get an urge to rage too. I don't pay much attention to them, but apparently recently they've been saying things like "It's time for a Tea Party!" or "What if...now just what if...the military coups and liberates us from the Obamacommie regime?" Like, yeah. :/
Really I don't watch Fox News, I think its a really shitty program that really does nothing for journalism, but when I see these blokes ragging on soldiers who are underfunded dieing to protect "American" values in Afghanistan no matter how much of comedic show it is, it just infuriates me. Its like descreating graves for the sake of entertainment. Turning the blind eye to this bullshit paints all Americans as idiots who are led as sheep, and disrepect those in the armed service. This is the true irony when fox news were calling people unpatriotic for not supporting the war and our troops, yet they turn around and spew this hateful garbage. The hypocrisy of the situation is what pushed me over the top. Don't get me started on the new 14 year old rebublican second coming of jesus...

Also Stewart and Colbert are on a channel called COMEDY Central, it implies that what they do is Satire, yet this crap is run on FOX NEWS CHANNEL, which implies to the viewer that there may be truth in what they say. I mean when watching anything from Comedy central there is no expectation for news or sound journalism because the network implies that its meant to dole out laughs. To an unsuspecting viewer who is surfing the channel and the happen upon this show, they might think its really a news dicussion...
Old 2009-03-21, 19:09   Link #1891
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Really I don't watch Fox News, I think its a really shitty program that really does nothing for journalism, but when I see these blokes ragging on soldiers who are underfunded dieing to protect "American" values in Afghanistan no matter how much of comedic show it is, it just infuriates me. Its like descreating graves for the sake of entertainment. Turning the blind eye to this bullshit paints all Americans as idiots who are led as sheep, and disrepect those in the armed service. This is the true irony when fox news were calling people unpatriotic for not supporting the war and our troops, yet they turn around and spew this hateful garbage. The hypocrisy of the situation is what pushed me over the top. Don't get me started on the new 14 year old rebublican second coming of jesus...

Also Stewart and Colbert are on a channel called COMEDY Central, it implies that what they do is Satire, yet this crap is run on FOX NEWS CHANNEL, which implies to the viewer that there may be truth in what they say. I mean when watching anything from Comedy central there is no expectation for news or sound journalism because the network implies that its meant to dole out laughs. To an unsuspecting viewer who is surfing the channel and the happen upon this show, they might think its really a news dicussion...
Although I don't support the war in the Middle East, it does really irk me when people say something insensitive like this.

The soldiers are just doing their job, and I believe they are really fighting either to live, or what they believe in.

The Taliban are just a group of madmen hellbent on making this world a worse place to live in with their so-called "true religious values". They claimed to have been oppressed, but look what they did to their society and women!

I never said that the Coalition who came in are perfect, neither are they all really good people. But certainly it is the truth that they are better people than the Taliban.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2009-03-21, 21:05   Link #1892
oompa loompa

Quote:

ahh fox news. if theres nothing funny on, you can always turn to fox .. I cant really say whether its that bad or not completely, but from what little i've seen.. fox news is pretty awful.
Old 2009-03-21, 21:12   Link #1893
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

American news programs? I'll rather read the NYT online.
Old 2009-03-21, 22:22   Link #1894
mg1942

Quote:

That's midnight infotainment.
Old 2009-03-22, 01:42   Link #1895
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post
That's midnight infotainment.
Yet it's short on both the info and the entertainment. I just see Red Eye as fox news' attempt to cash in on the popularity of "fake news" shows like the Daily Show or Colbert Report while forgetting that in order to pull it off they need hosts and writers who are somewhat funny.
Old 2009-03-22, 07:32   Link #1896
Nosauz

My main problem is with the hipocrsy and the implications of the networks their broadcasted by. For the Daily Show and Colbert Report there's the expectance of comedy where as FOX implies that what is shown is news, big difference, and since most non fox watching people were to see this they would assume it was one of the long propaganda arms of the conservatives that has been called "news."
Old 2009-03-22, 08:38   Link #1897
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
Yet it's short on both the info and the entertainment. I just see Red Eye as fox news' attempt to cash in on the popularity of "fake news" shows like the Daily Show or Colbert Report while forgetting that in order to pull it off they need hosts and writers who are somewhat funny.
Oh come on, relax. It is meant to be funny - what's with you all??
Old 2009-03-22, 08:52   Link #1898
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

I think for Nosauz, mocking dead vets is Dude, Not Funny.
Old 2009-03-22, 14:29   Link #1899
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimatheKat View Post
Oh come on, relax. It is meant to be funny - what's with you all??
Making fun of the equipment/readiness of the Canadian Armed Forces is popular in Canadian comedy as well. Making light of Canada's Afghan mission is not.

I'd be the first to admit Canada's Afghanistan deployment is small (about 2830 personal total). However, it's pretty insulting to talk about how you don't even know a country is fighting along side you and to accuse them of leeching off you for defense when:
a) they are one of only a few armies in the coalition whose rules of engagement allow them to participate in frontline operations.
b) they not only provide security for the most dangerous part of the country, but extended their "shift" in that part of the country from 3 to 5 years.
c) they have the third highest casualty rate (about 120 deaths so far, most since deploying near Khandahar in 2006) in Afghanistan after the US and Britain, and suffer 2-3 times the number of casualties for their size of deployment than either of those armies do.

And this is coming from a citizen who has very mixed feelings about the Afghan mission (I don't like the Taliban, but I'm skeptical of the mission's chances of success and dislike backing a government that last time I checked still has the death penalty on the books for religious apostasy). I'm really hoping that the writers were honestly ignorant of what Canada's role in Afghanistan has actually been.
Old 2009-03-22, 15:44   Link #1900
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Making fun of the equipment/readiness of the Canadian Armed Forces is popular in Canadian comedy as well. Making light of Canada's Afghan mission is not.

I'd be the first to admit Canada's Afghanistan deployment is small (about 2830 personal total). However, it's pretty insulting to talk about how you don't even know a country is fighting along side you and to accuse them of leeching off you for defense when:
a) they are one of only a few armies in the coalition whose rules of engagement allow them to participate in frontline operations.
b) they not only provide security for the most dangerous part of the country, but extended their "shift" in that part of the country from 3 to 5 years.
c) they have the third highest casualty rate (about 120 deaths so far, most since deploying near Khandahar in 2006) in Afghanistan after the US and Britain, and suffer 2-3 times the number of casualties for their size of deployment than either of those armies do.

And this is coming from a citizen who has very mixed feelings about the Afghan mission (I don't like the Taliban, but I'm skeptical of the mission's chances of success and dislike backing a government that last time I checked still has the death penalty on the books for religious apostasy). I'm really hoping that the writers were honestly ignorant of what Canada's role in Afghanistan has actually been.
Quoted for truth, we make fun of our Army/government etc all the time. But its considered very untasteful to degrade something that is very real and will offend people who are related to the issue, like how you wouldn't make jokes about the Gaza Strip infront of the affected people.

What's your thoughts on this?

Quote:
Source: BBC News

American Iraq veteran Andre Shepherd shocked fellow servicemen when he walked off his military base in Germany and deserted the US army.

Now he is causing even more of a stir by applying for the right of asylum in Germany.

It was the middle of the night in April 2007 when Mr Shepherd packed a few things and walked out of the gates of his American army base in Katterbach onto German soil.

"I could no longer support this illegal war in Iraq with a clear conscience," explained the 31-year-old, who had been due to return to Iraq where he had already spent six months serving as an Apache helicopter mechanic.

Credit To Risa-chan!
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international