AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2008-06-15, 22:38   Link #1241
Mirron

Send a message via AIM to Mirron Send a message via MSN to Mirron
If only all my welcomes were this nice. Thanks a bunch you guys. This is a really nice forum, and I'm looking forward to spending time here. I'm just glad that random coincidence brought me into the Nanoha series.

As for my explanation, I'm hoping I'll be able to figure out some reason why my character would be trained in the Ancient Velkan system. I'll need to think more on this.
Mirron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-15, 22:40   Link #1242
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagerou View Post
...actually... >.>
Really in my opinion they can be fuck-powerful; my villain OC has the massive power because he is an avatar of the Gravemind and controls the Spawn of Razgriz, and can break open portals to another dimension and-

*is smacked around by Goose*
Not to mention that he's the only villian who can tank a physical impact with his Barrier Jacket, and have the BJ be so hard that he actually breaks the hand on the guy who tried to hit him with a stake launcher.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-15, 22:47   Link #1243
Aaron008R

We've just been thru a lot.

Actually, to do a very quick summary, the OC Thread community has gone thru three major history arcs. Namely...

1. The Beginning. (No need to explain. ^^;

2. The Wild Blooming. (Where the HAXX levels were rather outta control. But still fun. Usually referred to as the Golden Days of Wild Abandon.[Okay, I made that up.] That phase lacked a bit in control.)

3. The Stringency Wars. (The previews era was wild? This era took control a little too seriously and cranked it to the other end of the rainbow. This is where the recent hissy fits ghaz mentioned were in full force. But lots of bad blood and dark suppressed emotions due to the extreme stringency against any points regarding HAXX caused the lack of motivation to write.)

And now, I would like to believe that we are all currently in Era #:

4. The Middle Ground Rebuilding Period. (Where the balance between creativity and basic groundwork rules is maintained. If too much lack of control is bad, too much control is just as bad. That's what we learned the hard way. But now, we're past that.)

If I must say so myself, you picked a decent time to enter. Have fun!

OC Profiles
Yagami Hayate: ver. GenerationS; Part 1, Part 2

Last edited by Aaron008R; 2008-06-15 at 23:17.
Aaron008R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-15, 22:50   Link #1244
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Oh yeah, and Ancient Belka will be needing MAJOR explanations. According to canon, there are only 3 AB users left: Hayate, Carim and Acous.

And I prefer Belka. Gives off Ace Combat vibes.

As for the Stringency Wars, it's really a matter of what happens when one guy shows up, intends to changing the entire Kerokanon Sandbox to fit himself, and then has hissy fits when the established OC sandbox will not conform to his ideas, nor will he listen at all to anyone. The fact that certain perveyours of a certain substance named after them egged him on didn't help either.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2008-06-15, 22:55   Link #1245
Mirron

Oh, Ancient Velka isn't what the knights use? Sorry, that was what I want to use. I didn't think they used Modern Velka, so I figured it must be Ancient Velka.

As for the names of the other users, I'll try and wipe them from memory. Still not there yet.
Old 2008-06-15, 23:01   Link #1246
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Well, Ancient Belka as regards to human users. The Knights aren't exactly classed as human.

IMO this is another instance of the writers making a slipup which we try and rationalise away.

Ancient Belka isn't really used that much due to the fact that it's melee-oriented and in any fight, range has the advantage over melee. This is generally true, though there are exceptions, but basically the reason Modern Belka came about was to adress the weaknesses of Ancient Belka, and provide a more balanced magical system - note that SUbaru is Modern Belka and uses a mix of shooting and melee attacks.

Also, regarding realism: Realism tends to waver in Nanoha. On one hand it's a Magical Girl show, so realism as per laws of physics is already bent, if not outright broken. On the other hand, human interactions remain the same - there's nothing to show that there's any difference between the humans of our reality and humans in Nanoverse, which means that, for example, the entire Bureau loving RF6, even the people who RF6 makes to look bad, would not be realistic - regardless of Keroko says.

I speak from experience: My Dad was in a similar position to the Aces in the church and enjoyed tremendous grassroots support, and was in the running to be the next Bishop of the Diocese - basically, the Boss. Almost everyone who he hadn't trained pretty much disliked him because he was an outsider who came in, did the job, got it done, and made them all look bad simply by doing a damn good job.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2008-06-15, 23:05   Link #1247
Mirron

Hmm. Well, what system would you say they use? It is the system I would prefer to use, if just because I prefer more older magical workings, personally. The knights just seem to be an interesting group, and using their system would be what I'd like to do most of all.

As for human interactions, I'm not sure when that will come up. Like I said, my best bet is to have them interact with others, as just my writing tends to be less interesting as far as I can tell.
Old 2008-06-15, 23:09   Link #1248
Kagerou
"Begin, the operation!"
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Kagerou
If I recall, there is now...

Ancient Belkan, Belkan (what the Knights use), and Neo Belkan... or something. Hell.
Old 2008-06-15, 23:12   Link #1249
Mirron

Modern Velka, which is what Erio uses. I think that's his name. Well, then I suppose I'd use Velkan, no time attached. Although Neo Velkan sounds nice.
Old 2008-06-15, 23:12   Link #1250
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Neo-Belkan/Modern Belka are interchangeable. It depends on who's writing, we never really sat down, held a council, and decided on terms. both of us use Neo-Belka, IIRC, Kanchou.

What you can do is use Neo-Belka, but the person practicsing it uses it in a style that is closer to the ancient belka style: more melee, less ranged, vs typical Neo-Belka which is balanced melee/ranged.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2008-06-15, 23:16   Link #1251
Mirron

Would there be any problem referring to it as Velkan, and perhaps training being received from one of the knights in their magic system? That is what I would like to have happen ideally, as I don't know if I can think up of a good enough tutor, and a random fluke like Nanoha, while less work on my end, in a way, is unlikely to be good.
Old 2008-06-15, 23:17   Link #1252
Kagerou
"Begin, the operation!"
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Kagerou
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirron View Post
Would there be any problem referring to it as Velkan, and perhaps training being received from one of the knights in their magic system? That is what I would like to have happen ideally, as I don't know if I can think up of a good enough tutor, and a random fluke like Nanoha, while less work on my end, in a way, is unlikely to be good.
And also boring .
Receiving training from any of the Wolkenritter is highly unlikely, mind you. The closest you'll get is one of them co-training your OC with their regular teacher.
Old 2008-06-15, 23:19   Link #1253
Aaron008R

Definitely not impossible. The thing that is most likely needed is that you can create a story of just why a certain character is able to obtain such training. You can actually start making up the basic framework you like to work with now and we'll help you build it up as best we can.

EDIT:
Spoiler for A Note to my Fellow OC Seniors:

OC Profiles

Last edited by Aaron008R; 2008-06-15 at 23:36.
Old 2008-06-15, 23:19   Link #1254
Mirron

I was right about my hunch. Sad thing that I had to like one of the harder to reach group of characters in terms of training. Or that I had to pick the less supported magic system in the canon universe.

It would be possible? That would be nice. I really have liked the group since their introduction, and the system, although why I'm not sure. Long range mages, or support mages if the first is not possible, are usually more my style, not up close mages. Hmm, odd.
Old 2008-06-15, 23:20   Link #1255
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Hmmm...... for this, I suggest going to IRC. I have to run now and I can't really help. TK is in, hes one of the haxxbusters, and he should be able to guide you. It's a web applet, so you don't need to use anything: just chat from your browser.

I repeat: GO TO IRC. Nothing beats real time analysis of ideas in IRC.

And Since I ain't there, there won't be spamming of Macross crack.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2008-06-15, 23:26   Link #1256
Mirron

How do I get there? I feel someone told me, but I forgot in all the other stuff.
Old 2008-06-15, 23:28   Link #1257
Aaron008R

Quote:
How do I get there? I feel someone told me, but I forgot in all the other stuff.
Here you go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose
Also, if you want more help, I'd suggest the #outercadia channel at www.mibbit.com. Set your username to whatever you like, and channel to #outercadia. You'll find a lot of us in the channel at any one time - most of the haxxbusters are on at this time as well, so you can quickly run concepts and ideas by them.
BTW, the results may vary with the people you are discussing with. And the discussions can be very fast paced. Just a hint.

On the other hand, I heavily suggest that the concepts be as much as possible presented HERE as well instead of only at IRC. Not all of us are there all the time but you can have everybody take a look at it here. It may indeed be slower, but it's more balanced and can receive a clearer scrutiny here.

OC Profiles
Old 2008-06-15, 23:28   Link #1258
ghazghkull
The Dang-meister

Send a message via MSN to ghazghkull Send a message via Yahoo to ghazghkull
Quote:
Go to mibbit.com and join the channel #outercadia
ghazghkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-16, 00:05   Link #1259
Aaron008R

I couldn't wait anymore.

OC Material post! HASSHA!

Seven Years Before MSLN Nanoha...
A Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha prequel side story...

~MGLN RecollectionS~
~A glimpse into the past...~

A collection of OC-Centered pre-series stories, only to be seen now...

Starring:

-=The Spectral Enforcers=-

Spoiler for Spectrum 1: Granveil Lacetti:

Spoiler for Spectrum 2: Victoria Fairmont:

Spoiler for Spectrum 3: Aurion Dauer:

Spoiler for Spectrum 4: Almaria Corvette:

Spoiler for Spectrum 5: Glemy Grant:

Spoiler for Spectrum 6: Prairie Auster:

I'll build their profiles along the way. I think I'll alternate working between GenerationS and this to keep up the creative juices flowing without getting stuck as much. I'll also introduce some links between the two arcs later.http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa299/spec_operations/AurionEdit-1.jpg

OC Profiles

Last edited by Aaron008R; 2008-09-29 at 10:50.
Old 2008-06-16, 00:37   Link #1260
LimitedEternal
Nuclear Fusion

Ah, another new vict-err, fellow Cadian joins the ranks!

I guess my comrades have done a more than sufficient job of introduction, so I simply say welcome to the madhouse. Keep your sanity locked away safely, and limit exposure to the local crack. :3
LimitedEternal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hayaurion, kaonland, keroland, khrack, original content