AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fate/ Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Fate/Zero - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 108 49.09%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 65 29.55%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 25 11.36%
7 out of 10 : Good 13 5.91%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 2.27%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.45%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 0.91%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.45%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-10-02, 04:40   Link #141
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

This...this is the happiest moment of my life.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 04:44   Link #142
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post

Like when Kirei's father and Tohsaka Rin's father were walking around him in a circle.

You know the first scene that have come in mind when I have seen it was the Mexican Standoff in Sad Hill graveyard in The Good The Bad and The Ugly. Sans Morriconne's score.

EDIT:

Seeing how most of the Masters are adults or young adults makes it all the more refreshing to me.

Last edited by Sheba; 2011-10-02 at 05:21.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 04:53   Link #143
S4NG4

After watch episode 1, there is no doubt for me that this anime will be in my first list.
The tension already builded in the first episode.
Even if this just the prologue but this still a good episode for me..
Almost all master are introduced, their servant too.
S4NG4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 04:55   Link #144
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

They did a really good job introducing you to the world in this episode. It was definitely interesting to me, even if it was very dialogue heavy. The opening at the end did a good job of promising content to come as well.

Fall is going to be so great.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 05:04   Link #145
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Fate/Stay Night: Bakemonogatari edition.

It's pretty funny that so much people are praising the amazing animation quality when there was barely any animation to speak of. The only animated scene of this episode was Tokiomi and Risei circling around Kirei for no reason, which was hilarious. That said, the art was stunning resulting in an overall highly eye-pleasing visual quality so I can tell why people were impressed. I was too, but the corner cutting was so obvious it was kind of distracting.

And don't get me wrong, I love dialogue-heavy shows so I certainly wasn't bothered in the slightest by the pace of this episode, I just thought the execution was a bit lacking. They could have been more inventive here. I suppose and hope they're saving budget for the fights.

Loli Rin was adorable! <3
Loli Sakura was adorable as well of course, but what's happening to her is so heart-breaking I couldn't really fawn over her.

Iri and Aoi are total MILF material. Based on this first episode, I'd say Iri is the best of the two.

The masters all come across as selfish assholes so far, save for Kariya who's already the tragic hero of this show, and Kiritsugu. However, who knows? The other masters might surprise us.

PS: holy crap, so many posts already... I might have to give up on following discussions regarding this show.
Old 2011-10-02, 05:45   Link #146
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Wow I'm just feel like watching american tv show
And this might be the closest thing to Game of Thrones that we gonna have in anime, since "the battle" that we gonna have here not just merely dogfight but gonna involving intrigue, betrayal, n other twist in it.
Old 2011-10-02, 06:15   Link #147
viperdk1
The Colour of Magic

As a newcomer to the Fate/Series, I wasn't sure what to expect. I also manage to go into most anime totally blind, not taking much note of expectations or trailers.

I was very impressed.

First of all, stunning visuals (Hanasaku Iroha of Spring 11 may just slightly be better - though Fate/Zero certainly manages to do a great job).

There are no real vibes from other shows that I get from this episode (never seen Game of Thrones, as fertygo has) - though that's not really why I came to watch it in the first place. I wanted to see this to get an indication of what I had been missing out on (as I said, never got around to watching Fate/Stay Night - though that is clearly going to change once F/Z has finished).

There are some characters that I recognise (having seen them as a result of being hooked by Carnival Phantasm's OP), but it certainly seems as though their background is more frightening than I expected. Sakura's fate is utterly horrible - and I already detest Zouken Matou for that very reason.

Unlike the blinkered view of a normal protagonist-antagonist situation (where typically it's the protagonist worrying about what the antagonist is capable of, and very rarely vice-versa), I realised that I would be getting both sides of the story - with both sides worrying about what the other can do (Emiya Kiritsugu and Kirei Kotomine's monologues just after half way spring to mind). Heck, I'm not even sure there is a main 'protagonist' in Fate/Zero - which is almost refreshing for me.

Definitely a brilliant opening episode - but I will remain reserved as to whether it can match my other top anime of 2011 (Puella Magi Madoka Magica from Winter, Steins;Gate from Spring and Kamisama Dolls from Summer) and the anime that will be arriving this Fall (Shakugan no Shana Final, Persona 4).

Plaudits for the OP, too - only really heard LiSA thanks to Angel Beats last Spring, so it's nice to hear her do songs for something other than that.
viperdk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 06:29   Link #148
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinch View Post
You realize her body never surpassed secondary sexual development. That's the result of her being half homunculus. And as she never reaches full sexual maturity, you can't call her a woman.
She has all the charms regardless. And being a woman isn't all about sexual maturity anyway. I wouldn't want to touch her in any case - I just find her beyond incredibly hot.

OT:

I finally watched it in full and holy hell, such epic stuff. Corner-cutting or not, it was gorgeous. And the story was never a concern. This is almost perfect. I finally get to see the one true hero in the entire fate story wriggle in pain from all the worms devouring him from the inside.

Oh yeah, speaking of worms, I wonder how THAT scene with Sakura would appear to the first time viewers. I don't think they explained nearly enough to let people accept that just like that lol. But I am so pleased they had the guts to put it in regardless.

Does anybody know who's in charge of coming up with the filler material? The material in the novels can't be enough unless they plan to drag out fights which I wouldn't mind as long as the animation is KnK quality.
Forsaken_Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 07:27   Link #149
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

The first step was probably the most complicated one for Ufotable regarding F/Z, considering how lengthy the introduction and setup are, yet they certainly did their best in term of pacing, packing a lot of information left and right.
I'm unsure how newcomers to Fate franchise would feel about this lionshare of explanations, but imo, they managed to balance properly the motivations/hints regarding the masters.

What's actually a major point in this adaptation is that you see the stark difference between the masters ambitions, capabilities and objectives, along with their own personality being exposed.

45 minutes for this episode was definitely the best call: it would have been terrible in term of pacing and mood to span the intro for 2 weeks, so with the preparations being ready, the meat of the story should be unfolded quite soon.

That said, it isn't exactly a perfect score considering how Ufotable were quite stingy with the animation (not design) and camera pan: saving the budget this early in the series was the best decision, but the way they did was sort of too much: the first half of this episode was made of way too much still shots being quite away from the characters (main victims of it are Kiritsugu/Iri and Kariya/Aoi).
And I must admit that Tokiyomi AND Risei walking in circle around Kirei was hilarious (in a bad way): I can see the attempt of making them "brainwashing" Kirei, drilling him what to do, as if he was a mere puppet, but it was just unnatural, to say it bluntly.
On the other hand: major props for the Kariya/Sakura and the summoning scene (though, I wish they kept the same style as the Drama CD, with all the 4 servants responding to the call)..

Anyway, a solid start, that's for sure.
Old 2011-10-02, 07:30   Link #150
MagicaLideaL
Madder Sky~
*Graphic Designer

They could have stand there and talk properly and not walking in a circle like what they did. lol

P.S: If not for the circle walking scene, then there is close to none animation in the whole episode.

Last edited by MagicaLideaL; 2011-10-02 at 07:41.
MagicaLideaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 08:34   Link #151
mechdra

The episode is great although it is a little slow. The OP is catchy and we got a lot of good scene.

One thing though, the lolis is damn cute especially Illya.
mechdra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 08:37   Link #152
Cherry_Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by alumnox View Post
As I said, maybe not the rape part. They don't share the method but they are well aware about each others capabilities, forte and so on and they know this even before the creation of the first grail. Its exactly the reason why all the knowledge they have from everybody that the Einzbern`s invite the matou and the Tohsaka to help them with the first grail.
Well, I don't think it's clear that he knew the details of how Zouken's magic works, but transplanting a crest into someone is painful even if they are from your family (as Rin could testify), so I don't see how he could honestly believe that Sakura would be OK with a crest from an entirely different family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
2. I don't like the seeming lack of variety amongst the competing masters so far. They're all adult men so far (Waver is only 19, but he's basically an adult). Furthermore, even their personalities do not appear that diverse from one another (this episode in fact goes to great lengths to demonstrate how very similar two competitors in particular are). One of the strengths of Fate/Stay Night, in my view, was just how diverse - in age, gender, personality, and goals - the various Masters were in that narrative. It gave a nice array of competing perspectives and personality types, serving as a catalyst for good character growth and personality clashes. It also added some real color and dynamism to Fate/Stay Night, imo.

I'm not sure if Gen was locked into using these particular characters based on established Fate/Stay Night lore, but if not, I have to really question why he'd go with such a seemingly non-diverse cast on the Master side.
That's part of the point, I think. All the masters in this war are "professionals" (except Kariya and Caster's master). They know what they're doing and what they're fighting for. Having them all having diverse personalities and ages would not fit with that, and I don't think that any of the masters would have worked as females, either (Kariya, Tokiomi, Kiritsugu and Kotomine had to be male for the story to work, and I don't think Kaneyth or Caster's master would have worked very well as females due to their character archtype).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
The Matou segments broke my heart into tiny pieces. God, the "this won't end well" foreboding is strong in this one!
Yeah....

;_;

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLordOfkichiku View Post
Hey, Caster was serious enough. And so was Rin, as long as it didn't directly involve Shirou (as Archer says "My great master becomes immature as soon as you enter the picture") . And of course, Zouken and Kotomine...
Rin is serious, but she doesn't really know what she's doing, because she's still a child. She's torn between her father's wish and her own true nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
There's no reason to assume that mages are patriarchal. Tokiomi's heir is Rin, and not in a "marry her off to a good family" way. He teaches her magic and expects her to follow in his footsteps. So in that sense it's pretty clear that mages are at least somewhat post-feminist.
How is having a female heir incompatible with being patriarchal? Britain had female monarchs as far back as the 11th or 12th century, and it was still most definitely a "patriarchal" society. All that means is that males are preferred over females.

Quote:
Also, there were a number of female students in Waver's class, and given how elistist the teacher already is, why would he even bother teaching people who he thought weren't even capable of growing into mages over a few generations?
The Association teaches females, but that doesn't mean they consider them to be equal to males....

Quote:
So in that sense, having no female Masters from the Magic Society side of things is a bit of a stretch already. Well, that only accounts for 3/7, so it's not too absurd, but saying that it's more realistic to have no women just makes no sense given what we know about mages.
Well, Tokiomi has to be male, because he's male in FSN, and Kaneyth wouldn't work well as a female, IMO, especially in Japanese eyes. Nor, for that matter, would Waver, I suspect, given what happens later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Beaver View Post
Really, I think one must have played or at least watched the FSN anime coming in, otherwise it can be hard to follow, not to mention that they spoil some things already, like the fact that Sakura is Rin's sister and Kiritsugu is Ilya's father.
IMO, even the anime doesn't cover it. You need to have played the game to really understand what is going on. And, as for spoilers, the whole episode is just one big spoiler for the HF route of the game, honestly....

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperdk1 View Post
I wanted to see this to get an indication of what I had been missing out on (as I said, never got around to watching Fate/Stay Night - though that is clearly going to change once F/Z has finished).
You should play the game, not watch the anime. Otherwise you'll end up raging at the way that the anime doesn't deal with half the things brought up in Zero....

Not to mention that the game is far better.

Quote:
Sakura's fate is utterly horrible - and I already detest Zouken Matou for that very reason.
Yeah....

;_;
Cherry_Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 08:48   Link #153
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I just watched the summong scene and I got goosebumps again. Ending it with Saber was perfect.
Old 2011-10-02, 08:50   Link #154
Vicious108

So, about dat Kajiura soundtrack. No real standout tracks as of yet, but it seemed overall very suited to F/Z's universe and helped create the very compelling tense atmosphere that was built up throughout the episode. My particular favourite track was the one that played when Waver was checking out books about the War in the library and giving us the tutorial, so to speak.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 09:02   Link #155
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

I'm really glad that they were able to make Sakura's torture scene sufficiently horrifying. If it had been less so, I might actually have found it hilarious. The reason being that all I can remember about Sakura from FSN is:
- She makes lunch
- She gets abused, humiliated and otherwise traumatized by the grail war, and its participants. Repeatedly.
At some point, you stop being tragic and start being Pedro from Excel Saga.

Kudos to FZ for keeping the tone serious. Creepy old dude is a deliciously scene-stealing villain, something I found was missing from the last series.
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 09:08   Link #156
Nosauz

although the kariya scene is extremely touching, I have don't pity him as much as I thought I would, he comes off pathetic, especially when he fights with Yui. He's almost childish, but then again getting NTR'd especially with someone like Tokiome is pretty hard to swallow, especially when it seems like Tokiome doesn't value Yui/Sakura in the same manner he does.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 09:20   Link #157
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post
I'm really glad that they were able to make Sakura's torture scene sufficiently horrifying. If it had been less so, I might actually have found it hilarious. The reason being that all I can remember about Sakura from FSN is:
- She makes lunch
- She gets abused, humiliated and otherwise traumatized by the grail war, and its participants. Repeatedly.
At some point, you stop being tragic and start being Pedro from Excel Saga.

Kudos to FZ for keeping the tone serious. Creepy old dude is a deliciously scene-stealing villain, something I found was missing from the last series.
I am assuming you didn't read the novel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
although the kariya scene is extremely touching, I have don't pity him as much as I thought I would, he comes off pathetic, especially when he fights with Yui. He's almost childish, but then again getting NTR'd especially with someone like Tokiome is pretty hard to swallow, especially when it seems like Tokiome doesn't value Yui/Sakura in the same manner he does.
erm what? He is pathetic for actually caring about a child that got abandoned even by her own mom? He is pathetic for sacrificing himself for a girl nobody gave the slightest damn about? And it wasn't just a "die for her" deal. It was a "wriggle in pain every waking moment for the rest of your life and then die" kind of deal. What makes you think he comes off as pathetic for voicing questions Aoi (who's Yui o_O) obviously had in her head? Did it come off to you as though he was interfering in someone else's business? Well, even if it's another family's matter what they do with their daughter (and it's not - not when they send her to get raped by insects), it's directly related to him from the Matou side because his quitting the family was the reason Zouken even went to the Tohsakas. What's pathetic about admonishing a woman for sending her kid to a place from which a friend of hers ran away? Kariya quit the place because it was horrible and Aoi knew it full well but she still gave Sakura up just like that. It's not about having been NTR'd at all - although that does come into play somewhat. Kariya's sacrifice is as close to a selfless sacrifice as possible in the whole fate story. He is the only one I would label a true hero, the rest are all jerks or fanatics.
Old 2011-10-02, 09:43   Link #158
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry_Lover View Post
That's part of the point, I think. All the masters in this war are "professionals" (except Kariya and Caster's master). They know what they're doing and what they're fighting for. Having them all having diverse personalities and ages would not fit with that, and I don't think that any of the masters would have worked as females, either (Kariya, Tokiomi, Kiritsugu and Kotomine had to be male for the story to work, and I don't think Kaneyth or Caster's master would have worked very well as females due to their character archtype).
I disagree. I don't see any reason why a Rin Tohsaka equivalent would not have worked here for at least one of the seven masters. Rin struck me as reasonably competent and "professional" in Fate/Stay Night. Archer certainly thought very highly of her capabilities, and her ability to know what she's doing.

Now, I respect that many here are tired of teenage female-dominated anime casts, and hence the Fate/Zero masters cast is very refreshing to them. I just personally think that this might be a case of the pendulum swinging too much the other way.

Just my opinion, and this will probably be my last posting on this subject on this thread.
Old 2011-10-02, 09:48   Link #159
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

Quote:
I disagree. I don't see any reason why a Rin Tohsaka equivalent would not have worked here for at least one of the seven masters. Rin struck me as reasonably competent and "professional" in Fate/Stay Night. Archer certainly thought very highly of her capabilities, and her ability to know what she's doing.

Now, I respect that many here are tired of teenage female-dominated anime casts, and hence the Fate/Zero masters cast is very refreshing to them. I just personally think that this might be a case of the pendulum swinging too much the other way.

Just my opinion, and this will probably be my last posting on this subject on this thread.
Just putting my two cents out there, F/SN was an eroge, meaning it had to have tons of female cast. F/Z was a light novel, and could have developed in any direction.. Like you said, it wouldn't have been bad to have a female master in the roster, but i think there is plenty of supporting female charaters to make up for it.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2011-10-02 at 14:59.
Nochgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 09:55   Link #160
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:

I apologize since I know you wanted to get off the subject already but the Fate/Zero light novel did almost everything right and this is but an adaptation. Whether or not Gen could have used a female master in Zero is debatable but whatever he did write fit the mood very very well. War is, especially when proud aristocratic family lineages are involved, an affair between men. You can say that Rin was a professional etc. but I doubt a professional, esp. a man, would have let Shirou live the way she did countless of times nor made all the easily avoidable mistakes she made. A male master might have let a female master live but it won't be the same if you get the gist

In any case, who exactly do you purpose would have been better a female than a male among the masters we do have? The only one remotely possible is Waver but really, a wimpy man growing up is at least as much, if not more, impressive as a proud woman coming to terms with herself etc. and well, it'd have been hella weird to pair her up with Alexander and if you read the fate/zero author's notes then you'd know that Alexander was core for the story as per Nasu himself.

It's one thing to not be sexist, it's another to force women where men are already working better just to introduce "equality".

@kitten: The servants aren't chosen randomly at all. There're many significant connections between Saber and Shirou.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2011-10-02 at 11:55. Reason: no spoiler please.