AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi (2009) - Episode 13 Rating
Perfect 10 110 53.14%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 57 27.54%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 15 7.25%
7 out of 10 : Good 18 8.70%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 1.93%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.48%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.97%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-09-03, 18:11   Link #61
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

So they didn't have Haruhi bash Mikuru on the back of her head with her hands?

Shame. Seems like they did decide to tone it down.
Old 2009-09-03, 18:13   Link #62
zriL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Trouble View Post
There's also the fact that Kyon seemed to be struggling quite a bit, while Koizumi wasn't even trying.

I was disappointed with the lack of violence from Haruhi. Kyon snapping at her felt uncalled for. Stopping her wasn't out of place, but his level of anger didn't match the provocation, so it felt really off to me. Oh well, I knew it would happen.
The violence is more in what haruhi says. If I remember well, she says that mikuru is her toy. And I've just reread the novel, it is never mentionned that she hit her with her hands. Moreover, the scene actually looks weaker in the novel.

Last edited by zriL; 2009-09-03 at 18:25.
Old 2009-09-03, 18:21   Link #63
Solachinx
is a myth

The thing in the novel about Haruhi hitting Mikuru in the novel could've been a case of inaccurate narration because of an existing bias between Kyon and Mikuru; look at Boredom (in the anime version, at least): Mikuru barely gets tapped by the baseball in one scene and Kyon's willing to let her sit out the rest of the game and even goes as far to say the she was hurt by the baseball (although, I suppose, that if Mikuru had stayed out there, she probably would've gotten hurt). This and some other examples of Kyon's little remarks here and there (like the thing in BLR about how it's not ok for Haruhi to knock him unconscious, but if Mikuru does it it's perfectly fine) definitely show that he has a strong bias towards Mikuru, and that this warps the narration.

Even though this has been stated loads of times before, I'd like to end this with an analogy I told my friend one day: If Haruhi were to make a shit, it would just be a POS; however, if Mikuru were to make a shit, it would be the best thing since Paul McCartney sang a song with Michael Jackson. A little gross, but you get my drift.
Old 2009-09-03, 18:22   Link #64
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
There's also the fact that Kyon seemed to be struggling quite a bit, while Koizumi wasn't even trying.

I was disappointed with the lack of violence from Haruhi. Kyon snapping at her felt uncalled for. Stopping her wasn't out of place, but his level of anger didn't match the provocation, so it felt really off to me. Oh well, I knew it would happen.
Think of it this way. All of The Passion of Mikuru Asahina Sighs has revolved around Haruhi tormenting/molesting/cos-raping Mikuru and making unreasonable requests of Kyon and the SOS-dan. His level of barely-contained RAGE!!11 has been growing through the arc. It bubbled to the surface last episode, but Kyon was able to hold it back short of knocking Haruhi into next week. This clearly didn't do anything to ease the RAGE!!!11 and it continued to build into today's episode, where Haruhi goes from tormenting/molesting/cos-raping Mikuru to outright slipping her drugs (booze) so she could film Koizumi 'date-raping' her, sending him from mere RAGE!!!11 to UNSTOPPABLE (were it not for Koizumi apparently spending his spare time in the gym) RAGE OF BRUTAL BRUTALITY!!!!
Old 2009-09-03, 18:23   Link #65
Jonbob0008
The Last Loner

Send a message via MSN to Jonbob0008
Just watched the RAW, and I must say that it was awesome. I can't wait for the subs.

And I couldn't believe how close to the original season this episode was. At many times, it was indistinguishable. I hope it stays that way from now on.

Well, I know it's a good episode when my hearts racing like crazy. Definitely going to give it a 10 after I watch the subs.
Old 2009-09-03, 18:28   Link #66
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Epic, epic episode. I'll wait for subs before rating it 10/10, however.

Preliminary thoughts:
Spoiler:

Best of the new episodes so far, easily. Though next week has the cat, so...
Old 2009-09-03, 18:29   Link #67
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Perhaps Koizumi's fabulousness gives him superstrength!

Koizumi's grip vs. Captain Falcon trying to throw a Falcon Punch... would it have saved Black Shadow, I wonder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT View Post
Think of it this way. All of The Passion of Mikuru Asahina Sighs has revolved around Haruhi tormenting/molesting/cos-raping Mikuru and making unreasonable requests of Kyon and the SOS-dan. His level of barely-contained RAGE!!11 has been growing through the arc. It bubbled to the surface last episode, but Kyon was able to hold it back short of knocking Haruhi into next week. This clearly didn't do anything to ease the RAGE!!!11 and it continued to build into today's episode, where Haruhi goes from tormenting/molesting/cos-raping Mikuru to outright slipping her drugs (booze) so she could film Koizumi 'date-raping' her, sending him from mere RAGE!!!11 to UNSTOPPABLE (were it not for Koizumi apparently spending his spare time in the gym) RAGE OF BRUTAL BRUTALITY!!!!
That was hilarious, as always, GMT.

Great satirical points.
Old 2009-09-03, 19:12   Link #68
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Forgot to mention Kyon's HANASE this episode.

I hope someone makes a Haruhi version... (Kyon-kuuuun! HANASE!)
Old 2009-09-03, 20:52   Link #69
Mr. Turnabout
Kyon.....

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Turnabout Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. Turnabout
Quote:
Spoiler for Haruhi!:
Remember, the stories ARE being told from Kyon's point of view. I mean, I would say alot of the same things if I saw a pretty girl getting smacked. (Even if it was just a little.)

Still, I loved the way Mikuru was acting after she drank the milk.
I do agree that some of the scenes were kinda dimmed down, it was still a very good episode about the rest in this story arc.

Last edited by Mr. Turnabout; 2009-09-03 at 20:53. Reason: Forgot to add something
Old 2009-09-03, 20:55   Link #70
Mecha_Trueno
餓鬼に興味ない、俺の好みは年上の美女だ

Location: Shitty old London. They must've been on drugs when they built this place, WTF were they smoking!!!
Dammit! I wanted to see Shamisen this week!

Even though they changed the content of the drink, at least the BGM kept that scene intense

Btw, how come no one has questioned how the hell did Koizumi teleport from sitting next to Mikuru-chan all the way to standing behind Kyon?

禁則事項です
Old 2009-09-03, 21:17   Link #71
Heminga13
Wannabe Sleuth

Everyone knows Koizumi has secret Esper Boy powers that he hasn't told Kyon.

Heminga13: Speculating and anticipating 'The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya' movie since August 3, 2009.
Old 2009-09-03, 21:19   Link #72
Mecha_Trueno
餓鬼に興味ない、俺の好みは年上の美女だ

Location: Shitty old London. They must've been on drugs when they built this place, WTF were they smoking!!!
Nagato taught him shunpo

禁則事項です
Old 2009-09-03, 21:32   Link #73
Rice_slayer
Resident Car Buff

Yay, the epic battle is here!

FYI, this is the "Mazui SD subs are out" post :P
Old 2009-09-03, 21:33   Link #74
worldruined
power tends to corrupt

Send a message via AIM to worldruined
When it comes to touching Kyon, even teleporting is too slow for Koizumi.
Old 2009-09-03, 21:49   Link #75
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Kyon, you idiot... If you can't use your right hand, than use your left. Or your feet. Anyways, smack her once............ Hard.
And Churuya-san........................................

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2009-09-03, 21:51   Link #76
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Kyon, you idiot... If you can't use your right hand, than use your left. Or your feet. Anyways, smack her once............ Hard.
And Churuya-san........................................
With strong man Koizumi holding me back like that, I wouldn't have tried anything else either...
Old 2009-09-03, 22:15   Link #77
aulzon

One the best episodes of Haruhi in a while (finally Kyoani is getting back).

The tension built up to the climax of Kyon and Haruhi's fight was really great. It's strange at how one moment you can absolutely hate Haruhi and at the other really love her. Haruhi trying to tie up a ponytail near the end was a little redeeming of her, considering how much of a bitch she came off in the beginning.

Although again, it would have been nice if they ended it at when he tried to reconciled with Haruhi, seemed like it was a really abrupt mid-way ending.
Old 2009-09-03, 22:45   Link #78
Xiomay
Bazinga~!

Send a message via AIM to Xiomay Send a message via MSN to Xiomay
^ Agreed about the ending.

While the abrupt ending has been present in the rest of the Sighs episodes, this has been the only one where I really noticed. Again, agreeing with aulzon, the scene where Kyon makes up with Haruhi seems more appropriate to wrap the episode up.
Old 2009-09-03, 22:54   Link #79
Rice_slayer
Resident Car Buff

My god, that was THE best episode this re-run, if not my favourite Haruhi episode to date! Art is back where it should be, the fight scene was EPIC and the whole Haruhi/Kyon post-fight thing and the kyon catching her with the pony tail= awesome! Best part:Shami next episode!!!!! 10/10, by far my favourite ep. , almost makes up for the E8 crap...
Old 2009-09-03, 23:08   Link #80
Launch
Bug Catcher

Wow! Just watched the Mazui subs and this episode was excellent. The art was so good, very S1. Especially at the climax of "the scene", beautifully detailed.

One thing though. Why is the silver Mikuru Beam called 'Mikuru Beam "R"'?
From what I remember of the novels (not much xD) isn't it because the contact is in her Right eye? In this episode it was in her left. I'm probably just mis-remembering that chapter though...
Closed Thread