AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-02-21, 23:20   Link #1
ichido reichan

Talking Highschool Kimengumi : Season One

since I started kimengumi, I always wanted to hear some oppinions about the series, since episode 4 is just up, I would like to ask you guys what do you think of the series, so, you like it? please stick around issues about the plot and characters but not technical issues since we are always improving.

if you havent check the series..you are missing good laughs
Old 2004-02-22, 16:13   Link #2
babbito2k
annoying white bat

I wish I had more good things to say about this series than I do. The idea of it is really cool (the new girl in school is a real cutie who wants to hang out with the class clowns). The OP sequence is a blast. The characters are appealing and the light mood is easy to live with. The show must have been popular back in the day, it ran for 86 eps or something...

But the show is static. The comedy routines are overdone; the show relies on them too much. Somewhere underneath all the competition between the clowns and the jocks and hoodlums etc. is a romance which needs more play than it has been getting so far.

Regardless of my reservations I plan to follow the series. Yui is cute and funny and I would like to see her get what she wants.

Although you say you do not want to hear about technical issues I am finding that the sound does not sync up well. I would like to know if this is some problem with the source material.

Last edited by babbito2k; 2004-02-23 at 23:27.
Old 2004-02-22, 22:16   Link #3
ichido reichan

Although you say you do not want to hear about technical issues I am finding that the sound does not sync up well. I would like to know if this is some problem with the source material.[/QUOTE]

-For some reason, everytime I try to fix that, sound keeps going off for half second, I will try to use soundsynch next time, but I would like to fix it from the encode, if somebody have some pointers on that it will be much appreciated.

We started to fansub just from guides and stuff but this is a detail that will be corrected in the future
Old 2004-02-23, 23:15   Link #4
babbito2k
annoying white bat

The sync problem seems to be that just after the OP sequence the audio picks up exactly half a second. I guess there is something about the source material.

I patched all my eps up with VirtualDub. I extracted the audio track, opened it in a .wav editor, added in half a second of silence after the OP tune, clipped half a second off the end of the audio, normalized the volume which was way too low, saved the audio as a .wav and then stuck the whole thing back together with VDub... the audio had to be reencoded but that couldn't be helped. Now the whole episode is in sync but of course the subtitles are half a second early showing up.

My recommendation is to jigger the audio track before encoding. I think I already explained what worked for me as far as the sync problem. The overall levels are much too low so the input level needs to be higher or else the track should be normalized.
Old 2004-02-23, 23:28   Link #5
ichido reichan

gonna try that, is a weird issue but is not much of a problem, I will try different things
Old 2004-03-04, 19:10   Link #6
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Series now also subbed by Anime-Blitz. Don't notice any weird synch problems with their release ^_^;;

For some reason I like this show more now than when I first saw it. I don't think I was wrong about the comedy or the way the scenes play out but I am rather taken with Yui and the OP song. I guess resynching the audio on those first releases was a big help too 0_o;; I guess I thought it was more of a problem than rei-chan did
Old 2004-03-04, 23:46   Link #7
ichido reichan

Glad that you like it now

we are still trying to get the sound on synch but is still a weird issue, anyway we hope to see more MKV versions from past episode 6
Old 2004-03-07, 18:34   Link #8
ichido reichan

little side note

as many of you guys know, Kimengumi doesnt start in the highschool years, even if is called "highschool Kimengumi"

This is because everything started on a little manga called "Sannen(3rd year) Kimengumi" and went for 6 volumes, after that, the series were renamed to "Highschool" and went for 13 volumes.

In episode 5 we will see the last episode that belongs to the 3rd year saga, and episode 6 is the first episode that starts the highschool years and goes until episode 86.
Old 2004-03-07, 23:57   Link #9
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Ep. 5 questions

What I wanna know is: why was Yui sittin' next to Rei early in the episode? Then she switched back to the window...? What's with the red uniforms for the girls? The old uniforms got blown to bits in episode 1 but they got new ones. The other boys in the class had red uniforms for a minute there too didn't they?
Old 2004-03-08, 02:34   Link #10
marin

I don't understand this show.

It seems to be an overdone comedy show with dramatic elements and jokes I don't get....
Old 2004-03-08, 06:39   Link #11
ichido reichan

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
What I wanna know is: why was Yui sittin' next to Rei early in the episode? Then she switched back to the window...?

In japan, you dont always stay in the same chair forever, usually after break you go back to the classroom and pick the chair that you wanted and the guy that was sitting there can pick another one, sort of "first come, first serve" stuff.

What's with the red uniforms for the girls? The old uniforms got blown to bits in episode 1 but they got new ones. The other boys in the class had red uniforms for a minute there too didn't they?
Depends on the type of uniform they are using, there are the "japan generic sailor uniform" that was used when Yui just enter the classroom and she didnt bought the "ichio official uniform" that is a dark green one, Chie was kinda new at the time too, but I think she was planning on get the Ichio uniform too, the one blown to bits was the generic uniform, used in all schools if you dont want to buy the other.

About the boys, same thing, the IRO OTOKO GUMI and the KIMENGUMI both groups uses the "official Ichio uniform" that is the classic dark red one, when in the other hand, the Ude Gumi uses the generic dark one, but Ban gumi being the rebel ones jus comes with jeans and jackets.
Old 2004-03-08, 07:03   Link #12
ichido reichan

Quote:
Originally Posted by marin
I don't understand this show.

It seems to be an overdone comedy show with dramatic elements and jokes I don't get....
actually thats the point on the series, you just have to laugh at the slap comedy and the incredible amount of stupidity that is going on, you know that all the characters on Kimengumi are predecible and eventually you know what they will do, but the question is...when they will do it?

actually, the full potential on the series are not on the first 5 episodes, there is too much character introduction and ofcourse this show being aimed at japanese people is intended to cultural jokes and puns of japan everyday life.

Is like watching kodomo no omocha or excel saga, both series have histerical and noisy characters and often they have to rely on exagerated acting or superdeformed action.

About the jokes..I can go on and on explaining every single one to you but maybe is something you wont find funny, I dont know if you laugh at Rei confusing anti slipping powder with cocaine and saying "boss, this is good sh**t" But in further episodes Rei and Go even get themselves dressed as girls to impersonate and bother Chie and Yui, or they puns real anime characters, is thing of taste.

In ranma 1/2 you always have to laugh at the same jokes over and over again, you know that ranma will transform in ranma chan and try to seduce guys, you know that kuno will always chase akane and the ranma girl, you know that ryoga get lost and become the pig to sleep with akane and even with that, other characters will do what they do until the series are done.

If you will stop watching Kimengumi because the jokes are not funny, I suggest that you skip all the episodes and just watch the 3 best fan favorite episodes of the first season, those are called....

-Episode 7: Ah, low level basketball!!!
-Episode 14: Chie fall in love/the return of the rival
-episode 15: hentai soccer, it can't get any worse!!!!

If you cant laugh histerically at these 3 episodes, then Kimengumi is definitely not for you, I have watched those countless of times and still laugh myself silly
Old 2004-03-15, 02:44   Link #13
ichido reichan

Kimengumi 6 released, and finally with proper sound.

For testing purposes, this is going at low Mb'te

just 112 MB!! go get it!!!
Old 2004-04-06, 07:59   Link #14
Sailor Matlac
Psychotic Nerd

Wink

HS!K is the kind of old and strange series that can annoy people. Each time I tried to show it to people (the french version), they had a weird uneasy smile on their face. You like it or you don't like it. It remembers me show as Sexy Commando and other 10 minutes/story crazy series.

Personnaly, even if I can't say it's the best comedy ever, I still think this show is something to see. First of all, there's no real main story, so you watch it when you want to have a good laugh. It changes from other series once a while to watch stupid things like that. Having seen episodes around 40-45, I can guarantee you there's incredibly ridiculous stuff to come!!!

About the sound, I think Ichido Rei fixed the problem on 7... That's a good point to enjoy a show... So let's see what the future reserves for us...

Matt
Old 2004-04-06, 13:53   Link #15
baka
Apathy

Send a message via AIM to baka
well after reading through the thread even with the problems technically im going to start up on it and will be voicing how i feel about the series after i've got a couple eps done with. Starting with the a prologue and eps 1-8 i hope for good things for this . ^ ^
Old 2004-05-13, 17:10   Link #16
ichido reichan

Highschool Kimengumi discussion

After 10 episodes I never posted any official threads and I really wanted to discuss some "in jokes" and cultural notes on the episodes.

Kimengumi is one of those series like "the simpsons" where you dont have to follow a plot and none of the episodes have a "cliff hanger"

So far if you haven't watched any of the 10 episodes and want to have a quick start, you can start with any of these wonderful episodes first:

-episode 2 (the intro of the gangs)
-episode 4 (the one cleaning the school)
-episode 7 (the basketball, one of the best ones)
-episode 10 (just released, no spoilers)
-episode 12 (the marathon)

and ofcourse is getting better and better but if I have just 1 episode to convince you how wonderful is this series, you must have to watch:

Episode 16 "hentai soccer, the legendary shuttle loop"

Is a soccer match that shows you how truly bizarre and surreal this series can be.

Anyway, there you go, any questions or pun jokes that you might want to ask, just post it here
Old 2004-05-13, 17:17   Link #17
babbito2k
annoying white bat

You already started this thread, which is basically the same thing.

The series has gotten better since they all went to high school. Somehow the scenes flow a little better.

Yui is still the main reason I watch this series.
Old 2004-05-13, 18:13   Link #18
ichido reichan

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
You already started this thread, which is basically the same thing.

The series has gotten better since they all went to high school. Somehow the scenes flow a little better.

Yui is still the main reason I watch this series.

Dude, Im getting real old!! I forgot I threw this tread, anyway is getting better so enjoy the new eps
Old 2004-08-03, 04:12   Link #19
babbito2k
annoying white bat

The reference to Onyanko Club in episode 12 is slightly inaccurate. Onyanko Club was an idol group of the late 80s. But only a splinter group called Ushiroyubi Sasaregumi performed the OPs and EDs for the show.

Last edited by babbito2k; 2004-08-03 at 04:43.
Old 2004-08-05, 14:49   Link #20
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Does Highschool Kimengumi get any better? I watched the first episode and was practically bored to death.
Closed Thread