AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2019-01-12, 08:48   Link #1
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Mobile Suit Gundam Hathaway's Flash Anime - News & Discussion

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Director: Shukou Murase
Script: Yasuyuki Mutou
Character Design: Pablo Uchida, Naoyuki Onda, Shigeki Kuhara
Art Director: Hideki Nakamura
Music: Hiroyuki Sawano
Studio: Sunrise

Last edited by RRW; 2019-01-12 at 10:39.
RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-12, 11:36   Link #2
Faux Mecha
robot looks impractical

so are the Mobile Suits going to be full CG or 2D? or even a combination of both like Unicorn did?
Faux Mecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-12, 13:59   Link #3
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I hope that trailer is not an indication of the final product because those evidently CG backgrounds did not look very well meshed with the character. The Mobile Suit in the background looked ridiculous as well.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-13, 18:54   Link #4
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

The director for the HF movie trilogy is Shuukou Murase who have directed Witch Hunter Robin, Ergo Proxy, Gangsta & Genocidal Organ. So, if anything, we know that he won't hold back on the grim and grit. He's good when it comes to dark and gloomy story. I have issues with Gangsta in the past but that was more due to the source material itself being a letdown and Murase could only follow it in the anime form.
Old 2019-01-15, 23:12   Link #5
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Didn't Murase also have a hand in Gundam Wing? Might be remembering it wrong.

Just copying what I posted in the thread request forum:
While I love Tomino's ideas most of the series he makes tends to give stilted dialog to the characters. While that was all okay and good in the old days, after Unicorn I actually expect a bit more intelligent conversation and portrayal.

Essentially, I'll give it some time to see more footage but am hoping this at least takes the time to make the character interactions engaging, not just the MS battles.
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-16, 18:39   Link #6
wissenschaft

ITS HAPPENING, PEOPLE! Hathaway's Flash is finally being animated! Rejoice, the dream is real. It will be interesting just how they will retcon this to fit in the animated timeline.
Old 2019-01-16, 20:01   Link #7
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

You know, one of the best parts about this continuing UC saga is that we get to see characters grow. For example, we saw Mineva, Katz & Hathaway when they were still very young infants (a baby in Mineva's case) and then we see them grow at least within two shows. For Hathaway, we saw him as a 7-year-old kid (playing with his sister Cheimin) in Zeta. Then we get to see his teenage self in CCA and we'll see him in his twenties in these upcoming movies. Bright, on the other hand, doesn't seem to age during the time from MSG to Unicorn which is curious when his wife's (Mirai's) appearance (or character design) already changed rather drastically from MSG -> Zeta -> CCA .

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehawk View Post
Didn't Murase also have a hand in Gundam Wing? Might be remembering it wrong.
Mostly with character designs and character animation IIRC.
Old 2019-01-22, 18:01   Link #8
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Actually now wondering how much will be changed in the animated version as opposed to the novelisation. The main gist will still be the same--Hathaway rebelling against the Federation. But given the events of Unicorn and NT...plus that the movie version of CCA rather than the novel Beltorchikas Children is the basis...

I'm also surprised that Bandai hasn't at least teased any new Hathaways Flash Gunpla outside of the Gustav Karl (Which I think is more of an Gundam NT kit). But I'm definitely thinking this...is going to be mainly HGUC kits. The Xi and Penelope are WAY too big to be made into MG format. Or if they are made, I'm thinking at the very least they'll be more expensive than the MG EX-S Gundam Ver 2.0
Old 2019-01-30, 05:56   Link #9
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Tomino's reaction to the upcoming Hathaway's Flash movie trilogy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANN
Mobile Suit Gundam creator and author of the Mobile Suit Gundam: Hathaway's Flash novels Yoshiyuki Tomino shared an official comment regarding the recent announcement that the books are being adapted into a film trilogy.

"30 years after I wrote those novels, they are finally being adapted into film. As the author, I am so happy," he said.

Tomino noted that the theme of the novels is "What decisions are necessary for modern society?" Because so much time had elapsed since their original publication, he read his work again and found himself surprised. "The real world hasn't progressed, and may even have regressed. Because of all the Gundam fans who gave this story the chance to reemerge, its themes can pierce through society today."

Tomino expressed his wish that the hopeful message in the series can be passed to the next generation, who will pioneer the future. He mused that perhaps the fans who have grown up with Gundam are aware that they were unable to break through the regression and feeling of hopelessness in the real world, and so are passing the baton.

"The production staff are getting younger, and the viewers who take in their work are even younger than that. I believe that this young generation will one day pave the way for a reformation of humanity - for Newtypes," he concluded.
I gotta say, it's nice that he's being overall positive about this project. It kinda surprised me tbh.
Old 2019-02-04, 09:25   Link #10
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Quote:
"The real world hasn't progressed, and may even have regressed"
- Sad to completely agree with Tomino there.

I used to laugh at how weirdly ridiculous the whole "Souls held back by Gravity" phrase sounded when I was younger, but I start to see where Tomino's coming from. People as a community don't want to expand, they want to move inward. EG: Do the exact same thing as before, it only looks and feels a bit different. Even in the future of space, there's still the same boundaries and nationalistic/racial/ideological tendencies (see: Zeon, the Crossbone Vanguard's Cosmo Babylonia, the Zanscare Empires).
Old 2019-04-14, 14:25   Link #11
wissenschaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Tomino's reaction to the upcoming Hathaway's Flash movie trilogy:

I gotta say, it's nice that he's being overall positive about this project. It kinda surprised me tbh.
I think thats because hes genuinely surprised that a story he'd forgotten (its been 3 decades since he wrote it) still has a strong enough fanbase for a movie trilogy to be made. Clearly his story still touches Japanese fans after so long, which is pretty much the highest praise an author can receive. He probably feels shocked and flattered.
Old 2019-12-31, 10:58   Link #12
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Edit:

New PV for Hathaway's Flash:

YouTube

The actual movie preview starts about halfway in, since the video begins with scenes from Char's Counterattack.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.

Last edited by LoweGear; 2019-12-31 at 11:36.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-31, 14:59   Link #13
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Edit:

New PV for Hathaway's Flash:

YouTube

The actual movie preview starts about halfway in, since the video begins with scenes from Char's Counterattack.
Inheriting Char and Amuro's ideals? That's a bit of a paradox considering they had differing ideals, or maybe it's the same ideal of just improving humanity but through Hathaway's own methods .

I'm here for the hot blonde .

That's one interesting looking Gundam...
Old 2019-12-31, 15:22   Link #14
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

"Mobile Suit Gundam Hathaway"

That makes it sound like the Gundam is named Hathaway.

The trailer looks really good.
Old 2019-12-31, 17:24   Link #15
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Look at that glorious handdrawn animation!

I'd like to see if HF will mention the events in Unicorn & NT at all. If it does then no problem. But if it doesn't, that means HF ignores the Unicorn continuity and creates its own UC continuity. That means we will have two UC routes which branches off from CCA: the Tomino route (HF, F91, Crossbone, Victory) & Fukui route (Unicorn, Twilight Axis & Narrative). Not unlike Origin & Thunderbolt who have their own UC timelines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Inheriting Char and Amuro's ideals? That's a bit of a paradox considering they had differing ideals, or maybe it's the same ideal of just improving humanity but through Hathaway's own methods .
Both Char & Amuro wished humanity to go on the route of Star Trek and stop with the petty wars among themselves. They just have different method's to achieve it. Char's method was genocidal that would've brought faster major change while Amuro's method relied more on patience & faith in humanity which arguably could be a futile attempt considering humanity often never learn until they are cornered.
Old 2019-12-31, 19:15   Link #16
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:

I'd like to see if HF will mention the events in Unicorn & NT at all. If it does then no problem. But if it doesn't, that means HF ignores the Unicorn continuity and creates its own UC continuity. That means we will have two UC routes which branches off from CCA: the Tomino route (HF, F91, Crossbone, Victory) & Fukui route (Unicorn, Twilight Axis & Narrative). Not unlike Origin & Thunderbolt who have their own UC timelines.
Wasn't this written way before Unicorn? I expect the movies to completely ignore those events.
Old 2019-12-31, 20:06   Link #17
Wandering Soul

The trailer looked pretty good. I'd hear nothing but good things about the novels so I'm really looking forward to this.
Old 2019-12-31, 23:44   Link #18
justavisitor

yes, this novel was written before unicorn, but timeline wise it happens after unicorn....

I thought that was the reason gustav karl appeared in the previous trailer

Seriously, all they need is one line "EFSF hasn't changed a bit after all of these!!" and audiences will have tons of interpretation, whether it includes or excludes the unicorn
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-01, 00:04   Link #19
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Wasn't this written way before Unicorn? I expect the movies to completely ignore those events.
Storywise, anime-CCA is different from novel-CCA (Beltorchika's Children & High Streamer), anime-Unicorn is different from novel-Unicorn, anime-NT is different from novel-NT (Phoenix Hunt) and even anime-Thunderbolt/Origin is slightly different from manga-Thunderbolt/Origin.

Originally, HF & Unicorn novels were made to follow the Beltorchika's Children continuity, but Sunrise adapted Unicorn & Phoenix Hunt into anime following the anime-CCA continuity. Thus, in anime-HF's case, changes from source material should be expected.

Considering Unicorn & NT already took the future HF continuity into account (by featuring the Gustav Karls), there's always a possibilty that Ban-rise will ease in the Unicorn events into anime-HF. Whether anime-HF will divide or streamline the UC continuity after CCA is a 50-50 chance. We'll know after we saw the entire trilogy.
Old 2020-01-01, 02:33   Link #20
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

As mentioned above, this version of Hathaway's Flash will likely be completely different from the original novel, considering that they already used the Char's Counterattack movie as the lead-in for this particular movie in the preview, instead of the Beltorchika's Children novelization.

Quote:
They do seem to be intregating hand-drawn and CGI in this work quite well. Unless my eyes are fooling me I'm pretty sure that scene with the Penelope was CGI in the first half before seamlessly transitioning into hand-drawn by the close up.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote