AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 19 Rating
Perfect 10 27 32.93%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 29 35.37%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 20.73%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 6.10%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.22%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.22%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.22%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.22%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-08-14, 14:31   Link #61
Claymore_Obsessed

I expecially liked Kuroi Sensei' performance ^^
that part where thinks about going to sleep early and getting old... oh my, I feel the same...

about the "chin chin" gag... I'll tell you a funny trivia ^^

If by any chance you hear italian people saying that in Japan, they probably don't mean to be obscene... because in italian language, "chin chin" means cheers, kanpai!
Old 2007-08-14, 14:32   Link #62
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Hmmm, I certainly got a pile of the "lucky*star I was looking for" (from the manga). Problem is they threw so much Hiyori at us that it kind of diminished her funny to me. So I've dinged it a bit for "organization of material" since it looked like they just culled all the Hiyori strips out and lined them up. Where's our huggable snaggletooth and our American transfer anime-fan?

It almost slipped under the radar that we got a lot of nice "Nanako moments" out of this episode. She *soooo* needs to find a guy .... it is insane because she's so enjoyable: slim, attractive woman that plays net games, likes to drink, has a great laugh and wry sense of humor. Yeesh (takes some time out to slap the crap out of the male japanese citizenry).

A bit of hilarity with Kona traipsing around in her sports undies and her explanation (Japan has been instituting official summer 'dress down' to combat over-usage of air conditioning and save energy).

I actually like the anime-only Gundam sequence, mostly because it was an obvious skewer of the tactics used to obfuscate references. The dialog ran like a bit of Monty Python absurdity with nice use of noises.

Minami and Yutaka have some lovely moments --- Minami's VA is showing quite a bit of quality in evoking emotion with such spare dialog (I may have to nudge Asakawa Yuu over a bit if Chihara Minori keeps improving at the zen minimalist style).

Using my criteria, I *should* give this a "10" for being so much Lucky*Star but I threw a "9" because I thought the choice and organization of material was less than brilliant.
Old 2007-08-14, 15:08   Link #63
Mandrake

"Yaoi-te nani?"

XD
Old 2007-08-14, 15:12   Link #64
Meophist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
A bit of hilarity with Kona traipsing around in her sports undies and her explanation (Japan has been instituting official summer 'dress down' to combat over-usage of air conditioning and save energy).
Japan is so hot during the summer…
Old 2007-08-14, 17:18   Link #65
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
lucky channel wins "take that shiraishi!" :3

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-08-14, 22:01   Link #66
krln99

I liked how Miyuki's mom had the "Ju-On" DVD in her hand.
Old 2007-08-14, 22:05   Link #67
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I'm just wondering, though, at what time does Kanata appear? I've been rewatching the episode, and I still can't spot her. But that's just must be my eyes mistaking her for Kona each and every time lol.

And as always, I'm anticipating AVPlaya's cultural references for better insight (main reason why IMO footnotes don't belong in fansubs because they're never enough). *hint*hint*nudge*nudge* AVPlaya :P

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2007-08-14, 22:07   Link #68
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
I'm just wondering, though, at what time does Kanata appear? I've been rewatching the episode, and I still can't spot her. But that's just must be my eyes mistaking her for Kona each and every time lol.

And as always, I'm anticipating AVPlaya's cultural references for better insight (main reason why IMO footnotes don't belong in fansubs because they're never enough). *hint*hint*nudge*nudge* AVPlaya :P
She and Akira appear for a split second at the "Kuroi-sensei smacking Konata" scene.
Old 2007-08-14, 22:20   Link #69
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meophist View Post
Japan is so hot during the summer…
Its getting worse in the last few years.... this summer some areas in Japan are closing in on the 40C mark.
I'm sure its all purely coincidental, along with the typhoons, hurricanes, and general flooding at mid-latitudes across the globe
Old 2007-08-14, 22:32   Link #70
Minorou
Hmm...

Send a message via AIM to Minorou Send a message via MSN to Minorou
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
She and Akira appear for a split second at the "Kuroi-sensei smacking Konata" scene.
I just checked, and there they were. It's at 7:11 of the Guerrand translation. It truly is a split second; you'll miss it very easily if you aren't paying attention.
Old 2007-08-14, 22:40   Link #71
archanfels

Finished watching, great episode overall! Here's a few things:

- Have to say I think I got brain damage from that 60 seconds of Gundam talking;

- Tsukasa's voice is too cute it should be illegal;

- Both Kona and Kagamin are shining w/ moeness, the best part of all LS is, afterall, interaction between these two;

- Soujirou is helpless, he's walking that fine line, I'd prefer more Otakuness and less Pedo-ness but so far he manages to be more funny than creepy;

- Even Nanako sensei got some worthy screen time, not Yukari sensei of AzuDai greatness yet, but she's getting better!

- I can see the 2nd half having a little too much Hiyori for some, but as someone who used to occasionally do fanarts (not doujin/yaoi ofc :P)myself, I can TOTALLY relate to all her antics. She's just emmensely enjoyable to me. (Though I won't say the first years' can have their own show, LS need Kona and Kagamin else it just won't be)

- I LOL'd hard at this episode. I just find it funny that it's basically an Otaku show making fun of Otakus (not in really harsh way ofc) and only Otakus can get the jokes.

- It's amazing how LC and ED can drop from the part I look forward to, to the part I skip now. Akira is losing her charm and Shiraishi can die in a fire for all I care.

Last edited by archanfels; 2007-08-14 at 23:42.
Old 2007-08-14, 23:25   Link #72
margafred
ლ(́◉◞౪◟ ◉ ლ )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
Not only those 2..but also "Shiroishi" aka Shiraishi doing a Superman like flying pose xD
Old 2007-08-15, 00:26   Link #73
Meophist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Its getting worse in the last few years.... this summer some areas in Japan are closing in on the 40C mark.
I'm sure its all purely coincidental, along with the typhoons, hurricanes, and general flooding at mid-latitudes across the globe
Worse and worse, huh? That can't be good. I remember when I went there during the summer around 15 years ago it was pretty darn hot. AC is practically a part of Japanese culture.
Old 2007-08-15, 00:37   Link #74
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meophist View Post
Worse and worse, huh? That can't be good. I remember when I went there during the summer around 15 years ago it was pretty darn hot. AC is practically a part of Japanese culture.
Part of Japanese culture? It's S.O.P. in the American Midwest...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrhf_zgtmAg

Old 2007-08-15, 00:46   Link #75
Alesiopdv
True Believer of Haruhi

Jaja anyone check that phrase of Che Guevara?

Im not sure isf he say that but sure was funny!!

Japanese people knows he is argentain?
Old 2007-08-15, 00:51   Link #76
Luminisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
Part of Japanese culture? It's S.O.P. in the American Midwest...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrhf_zgtmAg

Aye I've been in Texas for 2 months... yeah you can't live down there without a working AC, I would considered a survival tool, and when it rains it feels like you're in a Sauna.

Gas was cheaper though.

Old 2007-08-15, 01:04   Link #77
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminisk View Post
Aye I've been in Texas for 2 months... yeah you can't live down there without a working AC, I would considered a survival tool, and when it rains it feels like you're in a Sauna.

Gas was cheaper though.
Yup, the "Dog Days of August" are a real pain in the arse!

But seeing Konata prancing around in her Underoos was classic!

Would Kagami have the guts to do that?
Old 2007-08-15, 03:53   Link #78
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

It is generally conceded that without A/C, the South and Texas would have never turned into the power blocks they are today since no one in their right mind would move there
(7th gen Texan, so I'm allowed to make fun )
Old 2007-08-15, 05:55   Link #79
Teiran
NPC
*Author

I first heard about Cool Biz from a friend who recently returned from working in Japan, and even though I could see the purpose behind the program, I couldn't wrap my head around it. I think that's why I literally burst out laughing when I heard Soujirou mention it by name; there's no way that would ever fly in these parts.

Completely veering OT here, but... yeah, it was 102°F here the other day, with a heat index topping 110. Lovely, I know, but in truth just slightly above par for the course in mid-August. I guess it's at least a change of pace from thunderstorms amidst the low-90s temperatures that plagued us last month--and that's not even getting into the swarms of legendary Texas mosquitoes resulting from the stagnant water.

Around here, you don't get used to the heat as much as you get used to the presence of A/C counteracting it. I've lived in Houston for pretty much all my life, but as far as getting used to a climate, well... the four years that I spent in the Bay Area for college have superseded my twenty in Texas in that regard, and have spoiled me forever.

---

I've been thinking: the previous episode showed Hiyorin sketching with a pencil in her left hand, and this episode has a shot of Yutaka and Minami holding their chopsticks in their left hands (I honestly have no idea whether or not chopstick use is a reliable indicator of which of a person's hands is dominant, but Minami, at least, also throws with her left). Nanako writes with her left hand, and we've seen the third-years all do the same, with Konata being ambidextrous.

Being left-handed, I think it all amounts to a nice little touch (edit: and in response to the below, I'm almost certain that Yoshimizu-sensei is a lefty). It does make me wonder, though, if there's anyone amongst the LS cast who's strictly right-handed.

Last edited by Teiran; 2007-08-15 at 06:16.
Old 2007-08-15, 06:13   Link #80
takumi2k4

Any of you do marching band? IN Texas? I live in the DFW area btw.

OMFG, prospective marchers, don't do it. I've been doing it for 2 years now, 3 counting this year, and sheesh, Texas heat completely ****ing sucks. Around 8-9AM local time, we were only doing warm-ups, ya know jumping jacks, push-ups, all that, and I was sweating like hell already.

Past monday officially sucked as well, I barely ate breakfast, my water wasn't cold, and around 10AM I was almost this close to succumbing to heat exhaustion. I was barely holding on, and somehow I survived for another hour and 30 minutes.

Anyway, back to topic.

Isn't Yoshimizu-sensei left handed? I heard from someone that that's why many of the characters are left-handed in L*S.
Closed Thread