AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2010-09-29, 07:59   Link #1
woodyfly

Post anime depression

I googled 'post anime depression' and It was more common than I thought.

I get depressed in 9/10 animes that I finish. I'm not sure why exactly in some cases I don't get depressed. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that I finish an entire series in 1-2 days and I get so immersed with the characters and the story that it's depressing to suddenly let go of them. Maybe I'm not spending enough real life time in between the anime...

This is the only reason why somtimes I hesitate to watch anime. I know I'm gonna feel empty afterwards, but it didn't used to be always that way. Perhaps my real depression has something to do with it.... lol

How do you guys feel when you finish an entire anime in a single day? Do you feel a stronger connection with the anime than if you were to watch it over a period of weeks or a month? How often do you guys feel sad after a 'good' anime?
woodyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-29, 08:08   Link #2
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I only feel depressed if the series was depressing. I always feel a little sad that it's over, but that's normal and won't bother me.

I do think that it's better watching a series slowly...but sometimes you just can't. I've unintentionally marathoned many series in the past because they are just so good. It's like not being able to put down a good book.
Old 2010-09-29, 08:23   Link #3
mindovermatter
For me the bell tolls

Send a message via AIM to mindovermatter Send a message via MSN to mindovermatter Send a message via Yahoo to mindovermatter
for me it really depends on how the series ended. If it had a satisfactory end, I feel good..
but lots of animes don't, since the show gets canceled before they can finish the whole manga, and then don't feel good about it. Some shows though, I feel dissatisfied at first when I finish, but after a few days of reflection I start to feel that the writers really did a masterful ending (like clannad, though I still have a lot of other complaints about the show)
some times I also get that feeling of being attached to the characters and suddenly not being able to follow the story. At that point I usually google for a forum where people are discussing the anime, and dissecting every part of it. That way I still feel connected to it.
That's how I found AS.
good to know that I'm not the only one who some times feels sad after an anime

School Rumble 4Ever!
I'm on FB search "jym cl"
mindovermatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-29, 08:31   Link #4
WBoon
Smile, like HTT Girls
*Author

Send a message via MSN to WBoon
I'd only get such a condition if either, like DragonZERO stated, the series was depressing, or the usual cliche reason of me not being able to part with the consistent flow of awesome story lines the series had provided me.

Spoiler for Code Geass R2:
And then there's the anime that fulfills the other reason, containing such an ample supply of heartfelt story that you just... fall down and yearn for more. Clannad is such an anime for me (though the supply from the season season outweighs that of the first - naturally). Digimon Adventure, too (not counting the inferior second season this time).

I did really feel the possible sort of emptiness you described after finishing watching Digimon Adventure the first time I was old enough to understand the story. To know that the cool guys I had just hung out with for two weeks couldn't be related to real people, I headed back in for more anime morphine, continue searching for that supply of good stories well told. That's why I only watch the best anime out there.

Last edited by WBoon; 2010-09-29 at 09:25. Reason: Darn those spoilers. -_-" Just watch the series already, people! lol
WBoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-29, 09:15   Link #5
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I also get bummed out when the final episodes don't live up to the beginning of the series, and that happens too often.

And you should add some spoiler tags, WBoon.
Old 2010-09-29, 11:10   Link #6
krko
The Movie is Coming

The saddest endings for me are those of slice of life shows. More plot focused shows like Code Geass or Toradora don't really sadden me when they end as they usually tell a complete story. As such, I usually feel happy when it ends well or frustration when ending sucks.

But shows like K-On(second season), Lucky Star, and Azumanfa Daioh(especially) have caused depression far more effectively. While plot focused shows gives you the satisfaction at a story well ended or rage at one improperly told, the character-based feels more like a friend leaving forever. This is amplified moreso by the fact that the main appeal of these shows are likable characters and that generally theme of these endings is "this is only the beginning of a wonderful future". I wanted to see that future goddammit!
krko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-29, 11:40   Link #7
Metropolisforever

Sounds like you're watching anime to escape from real life.
Old 2010-09-29, 11:49   Link #8
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolisforever View Post
Sounds like you're watching anime to escape from real life.
Why else would I watch anime, movies, television or read a book or a manga?
Old 2010-09-29, 12:26   Link #9
krko
The Movie is Coming

I watch anime to be entertained. And real life is so stressful anyway, especially after a hard day's work.
krko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-29, 12:46   Link #10
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Many people get mildly depressed after finishing a favorite book, or a favorite tv series ends (e.g. MASH) with characters they've gotten used to seeing on a weekly basis. Whether entities you meet or real or fictional, you develop a bond with them. Your brain actually wires itself to *expect* having them around. When the character ceases to be (because of the end of the series or a real person's death), you experience loss. There will be no new reinforcement from that entity.

If you have a healthy social network, then the cessation of new things from a fictional character should be less upsetting than a real person.

People keep pictures, films, recordings of loved ones... and in the much milder situation of fiction, they rewatch or reread the series and books.
Old 2010-09-29, 12:52   Link #11
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Try Clannad: After Story, then get back to us on this.
Old 2010-09-29, 12:57   Link #12
Yuna Amakura

Quote:
Originally Posted by krko View Post
I watch anime to be entertained. And real life is so stressful anyway, especially after a hard day's work.
That is, in a certain way, a way of escaping from real life
Yuna Amakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-29, 13:04   Link #13
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

I certainly get a little bummed when I've finished an anime but never depressed. There have been times when I've decided to re-watch the series minutes after finishing it.
Old 2010-09-29, 15:20   Link #14
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
After losing anything that we like or love, we feel sad about it. That's just natural. So when you finish your favorite anime series, that depression should arrive. If it doesn't, the series was actually a waste of your time. Helps me rate stuff that I saw.

Want to get rid of that feeling? Start another show. Or just do whatever the bloody hell you like to do.

Me? If we are to compare the strengths of these depressions, I'd say I was pretty "destroyed" after finishing Lucky Star and Toradora. Guess what some of my favorite series were?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuna Amakura View Post
That is, in a certain way, a way of escaping from real life
We, as mankind, made real life what it is. It's our own fault to being forced to find some form of escapism, don't you agree?

Last edited by Larthak; 2010-09-29 at 15:32.
Larthak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-29, 18:27   Link #15
Kyuu
=^^=

I've been in limbo watching Angel Beats over and over again.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-29, 19:15   Link #16
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

And hence, there's nothing automatically wrong about escapism ... it just depends on how you use it to deal with the rest of life.

@Ithekro: I've seen Clannad: Afterstory .... liked it.
Old 2010-09-29, 20:03   Link #17
ChainLegacy
廉頗

I used to experience this, but I don't anymore. Not sure of the reason really, but I'd guess it is that I don't take anime as seriously as I used to.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-29, 21:30   Link #18
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
I used to experience this, but I don't anymore. Not sure of the reason really, but I'd guess it is that I don't take anime as seriously as I used to.
Funny, it's the opposite for me. I take it more seriously now than I used to, but I don't really get post-anime depression.

Then again, it might be because I rewatch my favorite series all the time. I just never get tired of series like TTGL and Fullmetal Alchemist.
Old 2010-09-29, 22:02   Link #19
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i was depressed after Aria ended, both the anime and the manga. it had been a constant in my life for so long, always that shining light. now its not there any more. i need to start rewatching it.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-29, 22:16   Link #20
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Nope never have got in depressed when an anime end because there all ways more anime to watch or rewatchs