AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-06-06, 12:02   Link #1101
GameraBaenre

Now that I've gotten to a comfortable point with my other projhects; I'm now in full concentration on Kanu. From last night, I was able to get the initial priming session done. I will explain the reason behind the term "initial priming" a little later. I did a quick fit after the priming so that I can take a few snaps of her together (click on the thumbnails for a bigger image):

Since the last update, most of my parts were glued and puttied for gap filling:

After a the putty cures, I went in with the various sanding implements I have (files, 100 grit sand paper, 100 grit sanding pads, 150 grit sanding pads, 320 grit sanding pads, the toothbrush sanders, the flexi-file sander, etc) and went to work on sanding down all excess putty as well as sanding down all the mold lines and surface defects on all the parts.

The robe is composed of 4 pieces, the 2 major halves, then two smaller pieces that attach to it. I first glued and gap filled the major part. Sanded that down, then sprayed on a primer to check for defects in the gap filling process. Once I was satisfied, I then went on to glue and gap fill the smaller pieces.

With all the parts sanded, I threw them all into a purple colored industrial strength cleaner for a couple of days. The industrial strength cleaner will dissolve any residual mold release that may still be on the surface of the kit. This is a very important step as all the hard work of sanding, painting, masking, more painting, will be useless if the paint and primer fail to stick to the surface. After a couple of days in the purple cleaner bath, the parts are removed and placed in a bowl of water to help wash off the cleaning agent. From this point, parts that fit into the ultra sonic cleaner are then placed in there with regular water and run through the cleaner. This ensures that the parts are pristinely clean after the soaking. The parts too big for the ultrasonic cleaner are just scrubbed with an old toothbrush.

The parts are then dried and placed on skewers or alligator clip attachments and are now ready for the initial priming session. At this point, the parts are clean and white. It is difficult to tell if the surface was properly prepared. Sanding marks, pinholes, tiny surface defects are very difficult to see.

I use Mr Resin Primer by Gunze Sangyo. The primer is gray in color and once sprayed on to the parts; the small sanding mistakes, missed surface details, pinholes, gaps, etc become very clear, and now I can get some fine tune sanding and work on problem areas with much greater attention.

And just for the sake of taking photos, I did a quick mock up:
GameraBaenre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-06, 16:02   Link #1102
alamarco
Why hello there!

Wow, that's beautiful! That looks extremely detailed, can't wait to see the completion. How long have you been doing resin figures? I can only imagine the time and work put into one of those.
alamarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-06, 16:31   Link #1103
Mecha_Trueno
餓鬼に興味ない、俺の好みは年上の美女だ

Location: Shitty old London. They must've been on drugs when they built this place, WTF were they smoking!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by excelence View Post
i believe. ALL of em're cast off able ... never seen one that can't
while we're at it, i've always wondered. what do people mean they 'cast off'? can someone explain the term?

禁則事項です
Mecha_Trueno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-06, 17:06   Link #1104
GameraBaenre

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamarco View Post
Wow, that's beautiful! That looks extremely detailed, can't wait to see the completion. How long have you been doing resin figures? I can only imagine the time and work put into one of those.
My first resin figure kit was started in August of 2005, and finished in September 2005, so almost 3 years

"Cast off" means removable clothing - or removable items.
GameraBaenre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 03:42   Link #1105
alamarco
Why hello there!

Wow, only 3 years? I'm no expert, but that looks like 10 years+ worth of experience. Great job, can't wait to see that finished . By the way, you mentioned "Kanu", but Googling didn't turn me up any good results. Is the character's name Kanu? Which anime is it from?
Old 2008-06-07, 05:30   Link #1106
Cynor
SS Bombardment Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
I got it through a great shop, where I always order my figures from.

Especially great service for the Comptiq ver. Nenderoids. Where Comptiq coupons must be obtained from specific volumes of the magazine so that you can order the limited edition figures. The shop sold Comptiq magazines as well and they helped the customers order the Comptiq ver. Nenderoids
Very nice, I wish I could find a shop like that near me but I've basically given up hope and figure I need to start learning Japanese or something now. Or go make a friend who reads it and lives near me

We will always exist before our Mistress of the Night Sky, Hayate
Cynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 10:04   Link #1107
Nightbat®
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameraBaenre View Post
And just for the sake of taking photos, I did a quick mock up:
That cape must weigh a ton, you reinforce it from the leg or base, or just pin some M8 bolts into her back?
Old 2008-06-07, 17:19   Link #1108
Mecha_Trueno
餓鬼に興味ない、俺の好みは年上の美女だ

Location: Shitty old London. They must've been on drugs when they built this place, WTF were they smoking!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alamarco View Post
Wow, only 3 years? I'm no expert, but that looks like 10 years+ worth of experience. Great job, can't wait to see that finished . By the way, you mentioned "Kanu", but Googling didn't turn me up any good results. Is the character's name Kanu? Which anime is it from?
full name is Kanu Unchou (關羽 雲長) (family name first), from ikkitousen

禁則事項です
Old 2008-06-10, 21:41   Link #1109
Astrana
MMmmmm Bacon~~~

I hate customs... especially Canadian ones....
Astrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-11, 03:22   Link #1110
rainbow_star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrana View Post
I hate customs... especially Canadian ones....
Canadian customs is bad, and shipping form US by UPS is worse.
Stupid UPS charge a lot of brokeage and handling fee. I bought a digicam from US for $120, and UPS charged me $50 for brokeage and handling fee. And I bought a header for $25 from US, and they charged me $18, what the heck. =/

That's why I don't order anything from US anymore if they don't offer USPS.
rainbow_star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-11, 05:57   Link #1111
Astrana
MMmmmm Bacon~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow_star View Post
Canadian customs is bad, and shipping form US by UPS is worse.
Stupid UPS charge a lot of brokeage and handling fee. I bought a digicam from US for $120, and UPS charged me $50 for brokeage and handling fee. And I bought a header for $25 from US, and they charged me $18, what the heck. =/

That's why I don't order anything from US anymore if they don't offer USPS.
I ordered some T-shirt from US, suppose to be 1 week shipping time, but ended up taking 4 weeks because of the custom. My mother sent me an MP4 player for my birthday few years back, the electronics itself only cost 70 dollars and they wanted me to pay 50 to claim it... so i said screw that. My local anime shop got screwd on last shipment, their supplier recommended U-Fright saying it's cheaper than Fed-ex, but ended up 50% more than Fed-ex, and slower as well. It's been sitting at vancouver custom since monday, they will receive the shipment this friday. I suppose to get my Nida and MeiFeng last Wednesday...
Old 2008-06-11, 12:03   Link #1112
alamarco
Why hello there!

Thanks for the full name

Yeah, I just got a package of wires today and had to pay customs . Though I've been lucky with eBay purchases. Usually don't get charged customs. If I have to pay customs it's usually from one or two small online shops. It's hit and miss for me.
Old 2008-06-11, 12:16   Link #1113
Mecha_Trueno
餓鬼に興味ない、俺の好みは年上の美女だ

wtf, is it 'bad luck with customs' week or something? when my hlj order arrived this week, i got £14 slapped on per box. ive ordered from hlj quite a few times now, and its the first time ive ever had customs charge on it. when i told them that over the phone they just said, "then that just means you've been very fortunate"... wtf? you telling me ive just been lucky up to now?
btw, does it also depend on the shipping method? ive used SAL each time, will it be different if i went for EMS for example?

禁則事項です
Old 2008-06-11, 14:23   Link #1114
Astrana
MMmmmm Bacon~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha_Trueno View Post
wtf, is it 'bad luck with customs' week or something? when my hlj order arrived this week, i got £14 slapped on per box. ive ordered from hlj quite a few times now, and its the first time ive ever had customs charge on it. when i told them that over the phone they just said, "then that just means you've been very fortunate"... wtf? you telling me ive just been lucky up to now?
btw, does it also depend on the shipping method? ive used SAL each time, will it be different if i went for EMS for example?
I've used SAL and EMS with HLJ, never needed to pay extra to Custom.
I guess depend how much is the shipment maybe
Old 2008-06-11, 17:50   Link #1115
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha_Trueno View Post
while we're at it, i've always wondered. what do people mean they 'cast off'? can someone explain the term?
http://www.dannychoo.com/adp/eng/134...lade+Airi.html

just scroll down
Old 2008-06-12, 21:43   Link #1116
Astrana
MMmmmm Bacon~~~

Anyone play with these???

Old 2008-06-14, 11:32   Link #1117
greg
Anti-dub snob

has anyone bought any merchandise from Twin Moons? They have a few anime figure items that will be cheaper to get through them than through a place in Hong Kong like Play-Asia, plus they claim that they have no bootlegs and have excellent service. Anyone dealt with them before?
Old 2008-06-14, 17:06   Link #1118
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

i recently bought a figure form, they seem ok. Didn't have any problems with the order.
Old 2008-06-14, 18:57   Link #1119
greg
Anti-dub snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
i recently bought a figure form, they seem ok. Didn't have any problems with the order.
Thank you so much! I am considering ordering the new Bubblegum Crisis toys from Yamato from them. Since the shipping is domestic, I'll save a lot of money that way.
Old 2008-06-14, 19:00   Link #1120
nines
I much prefer the 2d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrana View Post
Anyone play with these???

I see a GM gundam in your backround and heres some of my uber figures of epic pwnage. lost about 30 of my other gundams or my mom threw em out. These are my favorite gundams

Rose Gundam Battle Damage
Wing Gundam Zero Battle Damage
Shining Gundam Super Form
Nataku / Shenglong Gundam Battle Damage

Pic 2

Heavyarms Gundam
Death Syth Gundam
RGM-89 Jegan
A GM <.<
And another Nataku / Shenlong Gundam

Spoiler for size:

On my shelf lets see i got RX-78 NT-1 Gundam Aka Alex Gundam / Heavyarms EW Battle Damage / Buster Gundam / Gouf Custom / Gelgoog / Dragon Gundam / Nu Gundam / Wing Gundam / Kyrios Gundam

and lost about 30 of my other gundams / transformers x.x lost my two main favorites Sazabi and Gundam GP-01 Fullburnern