AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

View Poll Results: Claymore - Chapter 119 Rating
Perfect 10 11 16.92%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 17 26.15%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 30.77%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 10.77%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 9.23%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 3.08%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.54%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.54%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-10-03, 10:00   Link #121
Nixl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elandyll View Post

Makes me wonder if Yagi even has any idea where he wants to go with the story, or if he is making stuff up monthly as he goes on without an end game in mind (or with one, but wanting to stretch it paper thin over the next two years).
I thought that too when I read the Witch's Maw arc,but ultimately I think he does. His pacing can move between too slow and too fast. Then again, I wonder if that is just a result of having make chapters according to what can be fit into each issue.

edit: I just realize that I really hate on the Witch's Maw arc way too often. It gave us Galatea, but over an entire year in some dull dungeon with the plot moving at granny speed and mindless chat. I do not understand how that arc does not get more hate. Then again, I also dislike Teresa, because I thought she was too cliche and any redeeming quality ruined by the extra chapter, so that may put me into a minority of claymore fan opinions on like/dislikes.
Old 2011-10-03, 10:02   Link #122
Weils

Miria vs. Hysteria:

- Hysteria is thinking about how reckless Miria's method of fighting her is. She comments that it's a fighting method which does not require any skill to speak of, and it disgusts her so much that it makes her sick.
- Miria replies that it's an honor to hear from someone like Hysteria, an expert in elegant techniques. This makes Hysteria even furious.

This part of Cassandra's flashback translated from TSS Chinese version:
Spoiler for Cassandra's flashback:

The Usual Suspects
Old 2011-10-03, 10:09   Link #123
limao
DeAd

The scar inside the eye is such a fail lol...
Old 2011-10-03, 10:10   Link #124
Nixl

So let me get this straight, Roxanne let that no.35 repeatedly get raped by an AB? Or used as in manipulated into being a human shield. It sounded like they use "play" as in rape though.

Do you know which context it is Weils?

edit: How so Limao? I thought it was an open wound and not a scar.
Old 2011-10-03, 10:13   Link #125
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elandyll View Post
Progress the plot ... "FAST" ?

You do realize that in nearly an entire year the plot has almost not progressed at all right? (since Mirira arrived at the org).

This is getting so tiresome, I am both dreading and getting excited for each monthly release now, the dreading part increasing with each release, and it seems it's just continuing on the same path.

Makes me wonder if Yagi even has any idea where he wants to go with the story, or if he is making stuff up monthly as he goes on without an end game in mind (or with one, but wanting to stretch it paper thin over the next two years).
You do realize how much slower the plot would have progressed if Yagi had focused on each fight and character more (while still being limited to 31 pages) without splitting the chapters up between two plot points, right?

You know like he did pre pieta.

The problem here isn't lack of progression, it's lack of focus. We had lots of focus in the like in the pre Pieta days even though each fight could have been handled much quicker (this is a Quality vs Quantity argument). I would love to still be in the Destroyer arc if Yagi progressed that more naturally and focused on things like Clare trying to figure out for herself why she was unable to awaken and feeling confused and lost as to why she couldn't and were she went wrong, rather than Deneve just explaining it away like some cheap plot point. Think of it like this, if every event in the arc was like Yuma thinking she was about to die at the hands of the Hellcats instead of lame narratives and explanations every second the arc would have been amazing.

Yagi needs to get back to the internal conflict and avoid having events where character B just understand character A better than character A... like Galatea telling Tabitha why she cut her down. It would have been so much better if we saw what Miria was thinking and her conflict and then having Galatea console Tabitha and them guessing why she did it and only getting it kinda right.

These last few chapters have been getting better since they've been again focusing on the internal conflict of the characters, we just need even more focus for them to really shine to there full potential... preferably by Yagi being allowed more pages every month from now on and if not by just trying to get more internal conflict every chapter where it is called for rather than flashy expedient plot device to move the plot forward faster. Yagi is clearly going some place good with this... I just wanna enjoy the ride more rather than speed towards the climax.
Old 2011-10-03, 10:23   Link #126
Weils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixl View Post
So let me get this straight, Roxanne let that no.35 repeatedly get raped by an AB? Or used as in manipulated into being a human shield. It sounded like they use "play" as in rape though.

Do you know which context it is Weils?

edit: How so Limao? I thought it was an open wound and not a scar.
I don't think so. Cassandra said the AB alpha was a very weak one which Roxanne should have no problem taking care of. Yet no. 35 was made its plaything before dying and Roxanne and the others were hardly scratched. I wonder if Roxanne already planned for no. 35 to die and antagonize Cassandra into lashing out. Remember Cassandra surmised in her monologue that she believed Roxanne made a report that she will likely rebel against the Org so that's why so many warriors were at the scene when Cass confronted Roxanne.

The Usual Suspects
Old 2011-10-03, 10:24   Link #127
rafael1932
claymores pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weils View Post
Miria vs. Hysteria:

- Hysteria is thinking about how reckless Miria's method of fighting her is. She comments that it's a fighting method which does not require any skill to speak of, and it disgusts her so much that it makes her sick.
- Miria replies that it's an honor to hear from someone like Hysteria, an expert in elegant techniques. This makes Hysteria even furious.

This part of Cassandra's flashback translated from TSS Chinese version:
Spoiler for Cassandra's flashback:
your quote: « That was Roxanne's first failed mission on an AB hunt. But including Roxanne, the three of them were not scratched one bit.»

There is something that does not add up. Roxane was with 3 girls. 1 was killed and tortured but the others 2 were watching without doing nothing ?
Old 2011-10-03, 10:28   Link #128
Gooral
Banned

Thank you Weils. This chapter looks even better now and I already liked it. And if it's true that Cassandra has threw her sword away and yet massacred so many Claymores it explains why she was considered as a monster. Don't know why I've read it "threw" and not "drew". Guess it made more sense that way ;P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weils
"But that child's face had an expression of satisfaction while she was played halfway through."
Looks like rape to me.
Old 2011-10-03, 10:29   Link #129
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Hmm... this does nothing to impress upon me Cassandra's power level. I wonder why Dae thought cuts equaled power here? How did she hit the legendary top 8 of all #1s... was it the recklessness of her attack adding to her mystique or something? Or Roxanne playing up her strength to make herself appear even more awesome?

If anything to have Roxanne defeat Cassandra using the dirty sword makes Roxanne seem that much more badass not Cassandra, since she didn't even need her super secret sword technique... I wonder if she'll be able to use it on Cassandra this time or if she'll be stuck fighting the shrimp twins?

Though in all likely hood the twins will back up Miria right after Cassandra AO takes on Roxanne. Maybe the twins will play medic (taking them to safety not healing) and help the wounded or go help Raki take on the MiB but I see that as less likely.

Last edited by Ryus; 2011-10-03 at 10:39.
Old 2011-10-03, 10:31   Link #130
Nixl

Quote:
I don't think so. Cassandra said the AB alpha was a very weak one which Roxanne should have no problem taking care of. Yet no. 35 was made its plaything before dying and Roxanne and the others were hardly scratched. I wonder if Roxanne already planned for no. 35 to die and antagonize Cassandra into lashing out. Remember Cassandra surmised in her monologue that she believed Roxanne made a report that she will likely rebel against the Org so that's why so many warriors were at the scene when Cass confronted Roxanne.
I think Roxanne planned it, but I wonder to what degree "plaything" implies. My understanding when I first read the translation was that Roxanne stood back and watched the AB have its way with the no.35.

Either way Roxanne is spiteful. I wonder if this chapter was more so about Roxanne living up to the title of "Love and Hate" than Cassandra.
Old 2011-10-03, 10:31   Link #131
Weils

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafael1932 View Post
your quote: « That was Roxanne's first failed mission on an AB hunt. But including Roxanne, the three of them were not scratched one bit.»

There is something that does not add up. Roxane was with 3 girls. 1 was killed and tortured but the others 2 were watching without doing nothing ?
With Roxanne's personality, you can guess she may have threatened the other two into doing nothing or created a setup where they couldn't help no. 35.

Ultimately, Roxanne wanted to get Cassandra out of the way so she could be no. 1. She wouldn't copy her dust-eating technique which she deems unsightly, so the next option is to get rid of her. To do that she just caused no. 35's death knowing full well Cassandra would confront her. With the report of Cass's supposed rebellion to the Org and all the warriors on her side, Roxanne could just take Cass down easily.

The Usual Suspects
Old 2011-10-03, 10:39   Link #132
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

I don't agree with the idea that the plot hasn't progressed much -- maybe not in the grand scheme of things, but I simply prefer this deep focus on characters rather then big huge world-changing events going on; even when their is both, it's okay, but if you think back to, say, when Raciella first awoke, their wasn't much to talk about at all, because it was just all fighting, which I'm not a fan of.

Waiting on the english to come out, but if Weis' on Hysteria's dialog is true (that Miria's combat is extremely crude), then it only pushes the parallels to Claire vs Rigardo even further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryus
I wonder why Dae thought cuts equaled power here?
Perhaps his logic was, that the more cuts the person has, the more attacks it took to take the warrior down, which means said-warrior must be very powerful.

Of course, it's flawed since the warriors that, say, had their head taken cleanly like Teresa, suddenly don't look so great.
Old 2011-10-03, 10:41   Link #133
rafael1932
claymores pimp

Quote:
With Roxanne's personality, you can guess she may have threatened the other two into doing nothing or created a setup where they couldn't help no. 35.
It does make sense. thanks
Old 2011-10-03, 10:44   Link #134
Awakened
Clare's #1 fan

I noticed Roxanne cheated. She used a projectile to kill Casandra.
Old 2011-10-03, 10:47   Link #135
kureimur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooral View Post
Thank you Weils. This chapter looks even better now and I already liked it. And if it's true that Cassandra has threw her sword away and yet massacred so many Claymores it explains why she was considered as a monster. Don't know why I've read it "threw" and not "drew". Guess it made more sense that way ;P.

Looks like rape to me.
LOL! I had to re-read everything because of this and then you suddenly edited your post and I was like .

XD
Old 2011-10-03, 10:47   Link #136
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiek927 View Post
I don't agree with the idea that the plot hasn't progressed much -- maybe not in the grand scheme of things, but I simply prefer this deep focus on characters rather then big huge world-changing events going on; even when their is both, it's okay, but if you think back to, say, when Raciella first awoke, their wasn't much to talk about at all, because it was just all fighting, which I'm not a fan of.

Waiting on the english to come out, but if Weis' on Hysteria's dialog is true (that Miria's combat is extremely crude), then it only pushes the parallels to Claire vs Rigardo even further.
Not really, there 4 pages is nothing like Clare vs Rigardo... it's almost a perfectly even match. They're landing almost identical blows on each other however Hysteria's blows are scoring slightly more blood volume and occasonally landing a second minor blow. I guess we'll see if this holds true next chapter, so for now it's not a dodge vs speed contest like Clare vs Rigardo but really a battle of endurance like Miria claimed last chapter. Hysteria maybe be doing slightly more damage even now but we have no idea when either will hit there limit, Hysteria maybe a horrible healer after all and not used to being injured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiek927 View Post
Perhaps his logic was, that the more cuts the person has, the more attacks it took to take the warrior down, which means said-warrior must be very powerful.

Of course, it's flawed since the warriors that, say, had their head taken cleanly like Teresa, suddenly don't look so great.
Yeah, tell me about I don't see how Dae got that stupid... but somehow apparently he did

Plot induced stupidity, I suppose but thankfully more just to hype Cassandra than something that will likely lead to Dae's downfall
Old 2011-10-03, 10:53   Link #137
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryus
Hysteria maybe be doing slightly more damage even now but we have no idea when either will hit there limit, Hysteria maybe a horrible healer after all and not used to being injured.
If my theory on Cassandra's wounds is true (that they are all still damaged which is why she suddenly became wounded, which brought her memories back), then all the No.1's are still damaged, which means Miria's advantage is about to get even higher.

Quote:
Plot induced stupidity, I suppose but thankfully more just to hype Cassandra than something that will likely lead to Dae's downfall
Not for me; if anything, the fact that she is still this injured makes me fear again that one of them is going to die soon which I don't want.

This isn't a case of having scars make the warrior look cool (like Boba Fett's armor ); it's about them all still being injured which doesn't make them look strong, but look vulnerable.
Old 2011-10-03, 10:59   Link #138
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Roxanne's comments according to Weils indicate this isn't the case...

Cassandra is just recalling her past and therefore triggering her wounds... Roxanne already has recalled her death and appears fine. This is just a very weird way to get Cassandra to awaken and likely limited to her character only.
Old 2011-10-03, 11:03   Link #139
Nixl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryus View Post

Yeah, tell me about I don't see how Dae got that stupid... but somehow apparently he did

I am starting to think Dae had a slightly different method of selecting the no.1 candidates than power alone. The reason is mainly due to Rubel stating he would select the same 3. Rubel appears to have a talent for spotting special claymores like Claire and Miria. If we look at Cassandra, Roxanne, and Hysteria they all had attributes beyond just power that made them unique. They were twisted individuals. I think the final selection had more to due with their lives and personalities than just plain power Ryus. Consider,

Hysteria cut down scores of fellow claymores. She has no sense of comradeship or mercy.
Cassandra also cut down scores of claymores.
Roxanna...is well Roxanne.

If Dae is looking for something beyond just plain power than it makes sense not only why Cassandra was chosen(even though she may be weak), but also why Hysteria and Roxanne were specifically chosen. All three are notorious for throwing the lives of their own comrades away. These 3 are the individuals that even other claymores despise and find unholy and for Dae, I think he finally gets to see the worse of the worse claymores awaken. Now, for Rubel, these same three are perhaps the least loyal and most unstable of the lot of legendary claymores considered. He would have the motive to choose them. The fact that Rubel said anything about who he would choose seems to imply their something very different/wrong about these 3 in comparison to the other candidates.

To clarify, I do not think these are the strongest claymores, especially compared to Teresa and Priscilla, but rather these are the claymores with the most gruesome lives and personalities that Dae could find.
Old 2011-10-03, 11:04   Link #140
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

Quote:
Cassandra is just recalling her past and therefore triggering her wounds... Roxanne already has recalled her death and appears fine. This is just a very weird way to get Cassandra to awaken and likely limited to her character only.
But it's so.....stupid

I came up with my theory because I wanted to be logical - you're right in that Roxanne knows her past and is fine (forgot that), but as I've been saying, if I remember a past bruise, it's not just gonna magically reappear.

Ugh, whatever, I'll give -- at least she's the only one who's like it. If Hysteria and Roxanne are both fine though, Miria suddenly lost a big advantage.

And I think somebody mentioned that it's been a full year now since we've seen Clairebear :O

--

Veeeerry interesting theory Nixl - if you add Teresa to the mix (a 'problem child'), all of them undoubtedly seemed to have issues; though maybe you're right in that he intentionally chose the ones that would make the most trouble.

Which makes sense as he's splinternig away from the Org; if anything, reviving the three that are the most likely to rebel and not follow the Org, figures.