AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: -Your- picks for the best songs in Macross Frontier [Multiple-pick Option Enabled]
Welcome To My FanClub's Night! 67 21.34%
Shinkuu no Diamond Crevasse 108 34.39%
Aimo ~Tori no Hito 83 26.43%
Infinity 84 26.75%
Diamond Crevasse ~Sheryl Only♥ 184 58.60%
Northern Cross 150 47.77%
Anata no Oto 55 17.52%
Seikan Hikōu 82 26.11%
Yousei 98 31.21%
Ai Oboete Imasu ka ~Ranka 76 24.20%
Watashi no Kare wa Pilot 30 9.55%
Lion 165 52.55%
Diamond Crevasse 50/50 36 11.46%
Aoi no Ether 49 15.61%
Neko Nikki 20 6.37%
Nyan Nyan Service Medley 101 32.17%
What 'bout my star?@Formo 109 34.71%
Triangler ~ Maaya Sakomoto 71 22.61%
Iteza☆Gogo Kuji Don't be late 88 28.03%
What 'bout my star? ~Sheryl 78 24.84%
Aimo OC 52 16.56%
Triangular - Duet - 93 29.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 314. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-07-09, 06:04   Link #381
nanatsusaya
C.C. & Sheryl worshipper

Glad to see Macross Frontier CDs do well in Oricon Chart, which is quite rare for seiyuus and anime songs
nanatsusaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-12, 14:40   Link #382
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

Maaya Sakamoto sang a few bars of Aimo in ep 14 and I absolutely fell in love with it. Hate to say it, but after year Sakamoto's soaring vocals on it I'm not that interested in listening to Megumi sing it any more.
squaresphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-12, 20:00   Link #383
cerrian

I found Maaya's version to be richer, more full bodied than Megumi's version. If what we've heard from ep 14 is representative of the full song, then I think we're in for a very nice treat.
cerrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-13, 10:17   Link #384
ChronoReverse

Maaya has a richer voice now indeed. Megumi isn't bad either since she's Ranka and you can hear how it feels younger, almost more childlike.
ChronoReverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-13, 22:01   Link #385
Same_Shark

I do believe May'n and Megumi are doing some photoshoots for the Lion single and a concert.

http://gabrielarobin.com/273/mayn-me...hotos#more-273
Same_Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-13, 22:47   Link #386
mike_s_6

I want to hear that song on the next episode. I mean come on, I think everyone's had enough of Triangler (not that I don't skip it when I download the episodes).
mike_s_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-14, 02:12   Link #387
Same_Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_s_6 View Post
I want to hear that song on the next episode. I mean come on, I think everyone's had enough of Triangler (not that I don't skip it when I download the episodes).
I agree. It's a good song, but I'm tired of it. I seriously want something new to listen to.
Same_Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-15, 14:01   Link #388
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanatsusaya View Post
Glad to see Macross Frontier CDs do well in Oricon Chart, which is quite rare for seiyuus and anime songs

True...I'm hoping that enough attention from the fans will push the licensor to release sheet music for the soundtrack a LOT faster. And I'm so itching to blast my amp to disturb my neighbors who loathe my taste in Anime music hahaha!

As of right now...I'm dying for some Macross F guitar tabs to play. Despite how beautiful Diamond Crevasse is I could only play it for so long before getting bored with it and break out into an unrelated song.

--Lone Wolf
一匹狼
lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-17, 01:44   Link #389
stray
Classic Yandere

So, I finally burnt the Seikan Hikou single onto CD (until my single comes next week from Amazon) and was jamming out to Ranka's rendition of 'watashi no kare wa piloto.' 2 things...

1. I really want an instrumental
2. I got my car to 110-115 and really, really didn't want to slow down.

If my car had a gerwalk mode, I think I would have switched to it.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-17, 06:03   Link #390
rei_lied

The translation for OST 1 CD Jacket made me laugh so hard.

http://gabrielarobin.com/277/macross...notes#more-277
Old 2008-07-18, 02:54   Link #391
kilroy0097
Michiko Malandro = Sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rei_lied View Post
The translation for OST 1 CD Jacket made me laugh so hard.

http://gabrielarobin.com/277/macross...notes#more-277
Wow, now this is some funny stuff. I didn't even realize until reading it that the Chinese Nyan Nyan song was original sung by Minmei or that the noodle shop was the same one from SDF1 or is it a major chain now? That in itself is funny.
kilroy0097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-18, 11:24   Link #392
nanatsusaya
C.C. & Sheryl worshipper

Well now that Ranka's planning to sing EVERY songs available in Macross universe, it becomes more and more clear for me that her voice is still in newbie stage and need more training. Her versions obviously pale in comparison to the original songs.

If Ranka's mother (Maaya) is a diva and Sheryl's a rock/jazz type of singer, then Ranka is an idol with less experience in singing. Ranka takes full advantage of her young sweet voice, but at the same time doesn't convey much of feelings in the song and makes it sound somewhat flat. That's why she couldn't sing the best of Diamond Crevasse and even Aimo. In her hands, those songs would only be sweet, easy-listening melodies while Maaya and May'n took them to a whole different, more emotional level. I almost felt pity for Megumi because she had to sing Aimo right after Maaya so that people could clearly see the gap between their versions. That difference was also visible in the 'What 'bout my star' duet when Ranka & Sheryl gave the same song different feelings. Ranka's lines were much lighter and jpop-ish while Sheryl had her own sexy and hyper tones. Personally, I value Sheryl's chorus over Ranka's 'lalala'

I prefer Ranka singing Seikan Hikou, Neko Nikki, Nin-jin love you Yeah!, etc... because they're true pop-ish and made fittingly for Megumi's voice. That easy-listening type of song with no hard feelings suits Ranka better IMO. She better sings her own designed songs from now on.
Old 2008-07-19, 08:14   Link #393
mike_s_6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanatsusaya View Post
I almost felt pity for Megumi because she had to sing Aimo right after Maaya so that people could clearly see the gap between their versions.

The start of Megumi's Diamond Crevasse reminded me of Chipmunks.

I felt the same, and knew that I won't be listening to Megumi's Aimo for a while. To be fair, Maaya has more experience than Megumi and May'n, so we probably shouldn't compare them. I used to rate Megumi more than May'n, but now I think otherwise. May'n can really belt if the song calls for it, she can sing emotional ballads and poppy pop songs, but Megumi has so far only sang safe pop songs that require little emotion on them.

But I do wonder if the shrill singing is only a function of having to have a "Ranka" vibe in the song... Megumi's speaking voice is quite full.
Old 2008-07-19, 10:28   Link #394
cerrian

Quote:
But I do wonder if the shrill singing is only a function of having to have a "Ranka" vibe in the song... Megumi's speaking voice is quite full.
Either way, I can't help but think that it'll have a negative impact on Megumi's career. Ranka's songs are a poor demonstration of her singing abilities.
cerrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-19, 12:33   Link #395
nanatsusaya
C.C. & Sheryl worshipper

Well Megumi and Ranka both make their debut in this show so this is somehow fitting. I also believe that in the show Ranka never has proper voice training (she just burst out singing whenever she feels like, and that's just at karaoke level). That's why I find it quite logic for Sheryl being more professional than Ranka.

However, if they're going to play that card then later in the series Ranka must blow people away with her improvement and awesome singing abilities at least once. She do have potential, but at this moment I'm still not convinced at happy-poppy songs like Seikan Hikou or Neko Nikki having more impacts than Diamond Crevasse. That is why I was laughing at the Zentrandis fanboy-ing Ranka's Seikan Hikou instead of being impressed at Sheryl's Diamond Crevasse or Infinity in the battles scenes in ep 6/7. With Ranka's current level I also doubt she could have a masterpiece like that. Hell, even Infinity suits the battles more than those songs. It's just that her voice happens to have unique abilities that affect people.

Look at how Ranka handled Aimo. Before Maaya, we went swooning at the song as a sweet, relaxing lullaby. However, Maaya proved that Aimo could be more than that. Then again, it's Maaya we're talking here Just saying that Ranka still has a long way to go to be able to sing with as much emotions, despite she was given the finest tune in MF beside DC.
Old 2008-07-19, 15:56   Link #396
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

Ranka needs to sing her diaphragm and not her throat. It's how pro singers project their voices. It would help if she got some meater song lyrics too
squaresphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-19, 18:37   Link #397
mike_s_6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerrian View Post
Either way, I can't help but think that it'll have a negative impact on Megumi's career. Ranka's songs are a poor demonstration of her singing abilities.
Or it could work well - right now she's singing averagely, but when we hear even just one super excellent rendition of a song in the future, we'd probably all swoon and say, "She's improved so much!!!"
Old 2008-07-19, 18:47   Link #398
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Or it could work well - right now she's singing averagely, but when we hear even just one super excellent rendition of a song in the future, we'd probably all swoon and say, "She's improved so much!!!"
Exactly...I'm sure within time she'll step up her game. At least I hope she does.
Unfortunately "individualism" isn't so big in Japan and as a result she's a mere carbon copy of past idols (raw talent or not)...collective society and all.

What I wish is that she would step off the typical "idol music" boat and do something within the realms of the "Indie" sound (even though that's not exactly original as well)...she's definitely got the voice for it. Perhaps something like a "Harriett Wheeler" from the Sundays or something like Juliana Hatfield (though she's a bit edgier than we would expect Ranka to be ). I can totally see her covering some "folk-ish" songs since that doesn't require too much vocal stamina and at times a bit throaty.

--Lone Wolf
一匹狼
lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-19, 19:16   Link #399
mike_s_6

If Megumi will improve then that should be good

Also, regarding the new OP... I predict that we get the new Macross F OP and ED on the next episode. We just got a recap episode this week which means that plot-wise, the first half has already expired. Also, the Megumi and May'n live concert will happen on the 27th, and I suppose they'd sing Lion, and the only episode that could introduce that would have to be the episode on the 24th. Unless they plan to debut it on the concert. Besides that, we've heard all of the songs on OST 1 played within the animation. Time to reveal the new ones, they just can't keep churning out rearrangements of the current songs...

We also just got to see Ranka and Sheryl sing a duet within the animation, so all of us has gotten a preview of how a duet of the two would sound like. And now that the two characters seem to be on the same platform with regards to love and career, it just feels right that they show an OP with both of them singing.

Most of all... Isn't it time we got to hear the new OP? :P
Old 2008-07-20, 03:32   Link #400
magnuskn

Where exactly did "What about my star" first turn up? I canīt seem to find it in Macross, Plus or 7.
magnuskn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
music