AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2011-07-19, 20:56   Link #681
mdauben

Thumbs down Blood Trail Fail

I just finished watching Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail and I have to say, after watching the whole thing I ended up rather... disappointed.

I'm not quite sure why, but it just didn't have the same feel as the original series. I guess part of that is the ending was such a downer. In the last episode:

Spoiler for Last Ep:

In the end, as much as I enjoy the original two seasons, I doubt I'll be watching this OVA ever again.

EDIT: Having read back a couple pages in this thread and seen that the manga ended without the last of my spoiler comments, I like the anime even less.

Last edited by mdauben; 2011-07-19 at 21:07.
mdauben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-19, 23:15   Link #682
Xagzan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxxFireArt View Post
I follow Hiroe on Twitter. He's talkative one, bu hasn't said much about the series. I just wish he'd spend less time on Twitter and more time writing Black Lagoon.

It doesn't change the fact that none of that happened in the manga.
Believe me I know. I've read the manga all the way up to the current chapter, and this is really the only part of the anime I've checked out. I'm glad it doesn't happen in the manga, but it's still miffing it happens at all, in the anime, and for no good reason at that, given how her limbs were fine in the scene before. And if she never really does appear in the manga again, chances are she'll never appear in any new OVAs, and people who only watch anime will think that's her fate.

I mean, I've been watching some anime with a friend of mine, he doesn't read manga and barely knows anime, just likes some of the ones I've been watching. I was thinking of eventually getting BL (god that's such an unfortunate acronym for me), but with this, now I'll have to go out of my way to explain that's not what happened to her, explain I don't know why they changed it or how she lost the limbs in the first place, all when the anime team could've just made that unnecessary.

And even without that factor, it just rubs me the wrong way, as it seems to have the majority of people whose opinion I've seen. For me at least, again I think it's because a large part of Roberta's appeal in this arc was her sheer invincibility. When you have women like Revy and Balalaika, and then you have a character come in who is more rabidly frightening and physically beast than anybody else - now that's impressive. But to suddenly at the very last second of the ova see her so completely shattered is like a blow to that perception. It's disheartening. I think it was a stupid decision.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-19, 23:25   Link #683
User68604
Disabled By Request

Whats wrong with Roberta being like that?

She's lived a hard life filled with violence and cruelty. One thing about her though is that once the head of the Lovelace family took her in, she started to change. She began to repress her old life, and live for something new.

I see nothing wrong with how things ended. If anything, I'm glad she can finally end her reign as the "terminator" and can live in peace with Garcia. It is better of this way than to have her go out in some glorious Tony Montana style and just...die. At least things are somewhat resolved and concluded with this ending.

And if you guys are still not satisfied, last time I checked, there's still at least four female characters in the series that I would never want to meet in real life.
User68604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-20, 00:52   Link #684
Xagzan

When did I say anything like I didn't want her live in peace and change? My only complaint is she didn't have to be so brutally defanged/amputated to do so. She wasn't in the manga, and it sucks that she was here. It wasn't even explained why she lost the arm and leg between scenes.
Old 2011-07-20, 01:54   Link #685
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

The way I see it, it feels like Madhouse was injecting some degree of 'sensibility' to the arc.

Shane's slight restrictions of his team to snipe Roberta in the manga... made no fucking sense, for one. In the OVA, Shane was shown that the only person holding back and complying to Garcia's request is himself and still gives accurate leadership in engaging Roberta.

And to an extent, I liked it that Roberta was struggling against the US Special Forces. I didn't like how badly she got de-fanged, but it was also ridiculous how literally no one in the special task force did any damage whatsoever to Roberta, despite being portrayed as a group of highly capable and experienced elite soldiers in the manga.

Yes, I know it's the Terminator Maid and she's supposed to be invincible, but even Arnie gets massively beaten up in all movies. I still like Black Lagoon to not turn Roberta into Steven Seagal.

Rock's plans and foresight were also given significantly greater amount of detailing in his thought process... significantly so. Whereas previously, the most we could do was infer from an estimation of how he managed to think out the scenario, we are engaged to his deepest analysis of the situation.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-20, 03:44   Link #686
FoxxFireArt

Send a message via Yahoo to FoxxFireArt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
The way I see it, it feels like Madhouse was injecting some degree of 'sensibility' to the arc.
They lost sensibility after they had her bite a knife in half with her bare teeth. It's just that the degree that they defanged the most powerful fighter in the series was so over the top to be obscene.
Old 2011-07-20, 05:36   Link #687
reaper_unique

Quote:
Originally Posted by konart View Post
Those pages are from tankobon, they were not included in magazine version of the last chapter. I've send you link to translation of the ch.76 (vol 9 version)
It's great to read that final part of the volume. Rock really has grown, a lot I really hope we get to read more Black lagoon because Rock can still do so many awesome things and even bring the lagoon company/Revy to greater heights
reaper_unique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-20, 10:10   Link #688
Xagzan

If Madhouse wanted more sensibility, they shouldn't be animating Black Lagoon

I ultimately just think Foxxfire is right, it was obscene. And I'd even say the degree to which she was maimed made just as little sense as her being perfectly fine in the manga, especially given the scene prior to the credits. I'd say at most, the loss of an eye and maybe the arm would've been enough.
Old 2011-07-20, 12:01   Link #689
konart

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben View Post
I just finished watching Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail and I have to say, after watching the whole thing I ended up rather... disappointed.

I'm not quite sure why, but it just didn't have the same feel as the original series. I guess part of that is the ending was such a downer. In the last episode:

Spoiler for Last Ep:
Spoiler for Rock's plan:
Old 2011-07-20, 12:07   Link #690
User68604
Disabled By Request

revy

Spoiler:

alsjdfl i love this series - is there anything like it..
User68604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-20, 15:19   Link #691
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by recover View Post
revy

Spoiler:
I guess I was also expecting something that bad as well. But to see it, more answers are revealed.

Spoiler:
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-20, 16:33   Link #692
Xagzan

By the way, I also never saw a translation of the final pages that were left out of c76 in the magazine. If anyone still has them, could they pm them to me please?
Old 2011-07-20, 16:56   Link #693
konart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post
By the way, I also never saw a translation of the final pages that were left out of c76 in the magazine. If anyone still has them, could they pm them to me please?
Done, check your PM
Old 2011-07-21, 01:02   Link #694
mdauben

Quote:
Originally Posted by konart View Post
Spoiler for Rock's plan:
I got the impression that he found that rather disappointing.

Spoiler for Rock's Plan?:

Of course, it was all rather confusing so I could well be wrong.
Old 2011-07-21, 06:02   Link #695
reaper_unique

I think his planned was about to work if it wasn't for the CIA suddenly..ehm...deciding to do something about it, or something...

But I don't know if this was in the manga as well, it's been a while since I read this arc.
reaper_unique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-24, 13:12   Link #696
kujoe
from head to heel

A bit late to the party, but that ending prompted a reaction from me.

Spoiler:

All in all, the OVA series has been an enjoyable ride for me. But it's sad when a good thing ends as they say, and this is true for this adaptation in more ways than one.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-25, 22:32   Link #697
OliverTwist

I guess I must have watched a different OVA then everyone else, because it showed Roberta getting hit by bullets multiple times in the version I watched. On top of that they're in the middle of fucking nowhere. Loss of blood, broken bones, and infection would all be a major problem before they got anywhere close to a hospital and any of them could account for an amputation.

That said, I thought this arc was missing something overall and didn't enjoy it as much as the first 2 seasons.
OliverTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-25, 22:54   Link #698
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

^ Black Lagoon is just a really indulgent and over-rated anime in general...IMO the best, or potentially best aspect of the show is the main cast group dynamic, yet it seems the show goes out of it's way to never really let them spend much pertinent time together...

As for the Maidinator, I mean after the 3rd OVA Roberta's uberness looses some steam to me..Although she was still l33t as hell at many moments here, I just fail to render Black Lagoon as anything more than a wannabe Quinten Tarentino-esque kinda shock-value show with not much between the two pieces of bread...Bailaika is merely the bait to make the show appear as if it has an anchor when it really doesn't... I mean I swear to God Rock might become the head of Crime Sydicate one day without ever doing anything but smoking a cig, scratching his crotch, and fapping to his emo-slacker philosophical ramblings...

Overall it had it's sheer cool violent moments, but I just can't look at this series and subsequent OVA as much more than a blip in the end...Especially when I had expected so much more from this show from the start...It's a pretty pretentious show if I'm being honest, but I don't think it wants to be taken that way, so it loses me...

Some good violent action though...
Old 2011-07-25, 23:04   Link #699
Xagzan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
A bit late to the party, but that ending prompted a reaction from me.

Spoiler:

All in all, the OVA series has been an enjoyable ride for me. But it's sad when a good thing ends as they say, and this is true for this adaptation in more ways than one.
Infection isn't something the animators can just think everyone will assume. It's not clearly evident, like an arm hanging loose at her shoulder would be. It's an explanation that needs, well, to be explained. If it gets infected, they need to say it got infected. It's irresponsible to make fans wonder, "Oh, I guess maybe it could've been infected?" without knowing if they're right. Gives off a bad feel, I say.
Old 2011-08-03, 05:03   Link #700
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

I didn't expect Roberta to get out of it without a scratch, but losing an arm, a leg, two fingers and an eye? Should have just killed her off while they were at it.

It was nice (well, not that nice) to finally see a bit of Revy's past, and as expected, it wasn't a happy one. It kinda reminded me of the OVA anime 'Kite', one of the most controversial anime of its time.

Tags
action, seinen