AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2021-07-10, 10:56   Link #41
Frontier
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
I think Rio will probably resolve his mother's murder at some point and also deal with the dynamics of his reincarnation.
__________________
Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-12, 14:09   Link #42
Frontier
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Rio ends up in the typical Isekai setting of a commoner enrolling in a magic academy, and of course the rest of the upper class looks down on him, but he's got a strong poker face .

Celia seems kind of scatterbrained for how mature and proper she presents herself as, but then it turns out she's a prodigy who became a top-level teacher at age 12. Which also means there's not a big age difference between her and Rio .

Well, Charlotte and her friend may not like Rio, but I appreciate that they wouldn't let Alphonse bully him without cause when even they could tell Rio did so well academically on his own merit .

The perks of having the memories of a college student with kendo skills is that math, reading, and fighting all come back to you once you relearn the basics .

Seems like Rio is still torn between his memories as Haruto and his identity as Rio. Also, did it sound like Mii-chan just magically vanished in high school when Rio saw her again? Is that why he wasn't able to confirm their relationship? Is that why she's the pink-haired spirit girl now ?

Look at Rio putting the charms on his teacher, although he also teases poor Celia about her height and lacking chest area...which doesn't really change much during the five-year time skip. Poor girl. Although I think she also is waiting for a marriage proposal from Rio .

Welp, five-year time skip and Rio is now officially Matsuoka again. I knew they couldn't hold off on Matsuoka for too long .

So Rio wants to go back to his homeland, Yagumo, probably because it's the closest he can get to returning to Japan. I wonder if he thinks he can get clues to his mother's murder as well ?

Oh great, it's that knight who tortured Rio. At least he got demoted for what he did, and Rio got to handily defeat him here .

I knew that ambassador was no good the moment I heard Koji Yusa's voice. You can never completely trust a Koji Yusa character, and it seems like he was involved with the plot to kidnap the princess and knows Rio was the one that stopped them .

This Alfred guy seems pretty honorable and respectable, and the ladies love him, but I'm wondering what it is that will drive him and Rio to fight like in the Opening ?

Rio's finally entered his popular phase thanks to his showing in the match (he was the only student who actually won), and he even got a love letter! Which also seems to have made Celia realize her feelings for him .

That ending comic...Charlotte really is the tsundere of this series .
__________________
Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-12, 19:05   Link #43
Dist
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Finland
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Dist
This show is starting to fill all the generic tropes for isekai trash. And I like isekai mind you, just not the low-budget carbon copies we get every season. Doesn't help that the animation for this series seems very nonexistent as well.
__________________
The joys of a universe made and unmade, friends across time, shall be your ray of light
Dist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-12, 19:15   Link #44
HandofFate
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
I like the combination of kendo and aikido the MC brings to the mix, while common in the genre.
I haven't seen too much of it in the series that got picked for adaptation
__________________
...
HandofFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-12, 19:17   Link #45
jagt
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Rio ends up in the typical Isekai setting of a commoner enrolling in a magic academy, and of course the rest of the upper class looks down on him, but he's got a strong poker face .

Celia seems kind of scatterbrained for how mature and proper she presents herself as, but then it turns out she's a prodigy who became a top-level teacher at age 12. Which also means there's not a big age difference between her and Rio .

Well, Charlotte and her friend may not like Rio, but I appreciate that they wouldn't let Alphonse bully him without cause when even they could tell Rio did so well academically on his own merit .

The perks of having the memories of a college student with kendo skills is that math, reading, and fighting all come back to you once you relearn the basics .

Seems like Rio is still torn between his memories as Haruto and his identity as Rio. Also, did it sound like Mii-chan just magically vanished in high school when Rio saw her again? Is that why he wasn't able to confirm their relationship? Is that why she's the pink-haired spirit girl now ?

Look at Rio putting the charms on his teacher, although he also teases poor Celia about her height and lacking chest area...which doesn't really change much during the five-year time skip. Poor girl. Although I think she also is waiting for a marriage proposal from Rio .

Welp, five-year time skip and Rio is now officially Matsuoka again. I knew they couldn't hold off on Matsuoka for too long .

So Rio wants to go back to his homeland, Yagumo, probably because it's the closest he can get to returning to Japan. I wonder if he thinks he can get clues to his mother's murder as well ?

Oh great, it's that knight who tortured Rio. At least he got demoted for what he did, and Rio got to handily defeat him here .

I knew that ambassador was no good the moment I heard Koji Yusa's voice. You can never completely trust a Koji Yusa character, and it seems like he was involved with the plot to kidnap the princess and knows Rio was the one that stopped them .

This Alfred guy seems pretty honorable and respectable, and the ladies love him, but I'm wondering what it is that will drive him and Rio to fight like in the Opening ?

Rio's finally entered his popular phase thanks to his showing in the match (he was the only student who actually won), and he even got a love letter! Which also seems to have made Celia realize her feelings for him .

That ending comic...Charlotte really is the tsundere of this series .
I need to make several corrections here, the princess is called Christina not Charlotte, there is a princess called Charlotte in the neighboring kingdom but she isn't introduced until the ninth book.

About Miharu, you are right about her going missing, the day that Haruto finally sees her again, after the entrance ceremony Haruto doesn't dare to talk to her when he sees her talking with Takahisa, the next day Haruto decides to look for Miharu at school but she isn't anywhere, after her disappearance is confirmed Haruto spents the next four years until his death regretting to not have talked to her the moment he saw her. The thing you have wrong, Miharu and the spirit girl, her name is Aisia by the way, are different people.

About Rio's mother, Rio isn't trying to solve any case, he knows perfectly well who killed his mother and is looking for the guy to kill him in revenge, Rio just wants to go to the Yagumo region because due to regaining his memories as Haruto he isn't sure anymore about taking revenge being the right thing and thinks going on that trip as he promised with his mother may help him find the right answer, a kind of pilgrimage for calling it something, Rio also wants to due a grave for his parents in their birthplace and also to fulfill his promise with his mother of going there despite her death. Rio also never harbored any wish of returning to Japan, he misses the people he used to know but he never looked for a way to return. How japanese-like the word Yagumo sounds always made Rio curious about the place but just that, his feelings for Japan are unrelated to this case.

Rio vs Alfred, is impossible to explain this in detail without making massive spoilers, if you are find with the short version is that Rio for reasons needs to ruin a certain event in Bertram's capital and Alfred was part of the security, just that.
__________________
jagt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-12, 22:11   Link #46
larethian
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
A thug from last episode got promoted to the protagonist this episode, even though he wasn't in the credits. At least now I know why he was there.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-13, 02:35   Link #47
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Canada
Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Pretty solid episode overall. Taking its time going through Rio's childhood until inevitably there will be another time skip to whatever he's going to do with his life after this school period ends. But it's doing a pretty decent job moving things along.

Rio's internal struggle with his identity remains a somewhat interesting element. He has a solid grip on his life as Rio, but the experiences and memories of Haruto remain deeply part of him. So much so that he does slip between referring to Haruto's experiences with "I" and then treating Haruto as a separate person. The swordsmanship certainly being a major factor that has helped Rio get this far.

I suppose some credit should go to that student body for remaining consistently biased against Rio for 5 years straight . At least he hasn't let it wear him down. Having Celia in his corner as a friend likely has helped things along in that sense. Despite the girl confessing being doomed to be shot down, I do appreciate her guts. Or I suppose at the very least she's able to be swept up enough in her emotions to ignore the political risks of dating a guy from the slums. Should be a good push for Celia to consider her wishes as well.

The desire to visit Yagumo makes sense. A chance to find actual relatives in that world or at least go to the place that his mother promised to take him, but never could. Guess we'll see how things progress from here. But overall I'm finding it a pretty comfortable ride. Definitely nowhere close to the worst isekai type series I've seen over the years.
__________________
FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-13, 14:56   Link #48
tsunade666
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: In my room
Celia is really super kawaii! It gave me more reasons to endure vol 1 and watched it. By the title of the next episode, it looks like it would end vol 1. 3 episode for 1 volume... The art is good but it the animation is poor. Especially in the fight. Its not fluid enough and I feel it has more still image than fluid animation. Lacking in frames.
__________________
tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-13, 16:05   Link #49
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 46
Pretty solid overall and the five year time skip was quite welcome. I predict that Mr. "I like to torture children" knight will meet an untimely demise pretty soon and Rio will be unjustly blamed.
__________________
magnuskn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-14, 01:32   Link #50
scififan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
The episode 2 campus is like Harry Potter academy, except the way nobles belittle their commoner peers. The nobles depicting in western fiction would use sarcastic remarks, while raising the weird tunes. The nobles depicting in Japanese fiction are openly naughty, anf saying they are superior than commoners.

The protagonist is becoming a blackswordman. His current goal is study reading and writing, but he is still struggling with his past lives.
scififan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-14, 06:24   Link #51
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 46
Yeah, the bully noble kids probably would have all been sorted into Slytherin. ^^
__________________
magnuskn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-14, 13:47   Link #52
tsunade666
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: In my room
Lol, typical slytherin that lacks cunning, while grifindorks lack survival instinct. The bratty nobles really act noble, drips sarcasm

This part is prominent in the earlier part of the story that made it a troublesome to read it.
__________________
tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-19, 14:06   Link #53
Frontier
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Celia totally just wanted to show off how proficient and impressive her magic is, didn't she ?

Oh hey, Flora is finally in the class! And of course she wants to properly thank the boy who saved her, and seems fairly smitten with him...and in the course of events she get saved by him again and again and she remains one of his only advocates without even having much of a proper conversation with him. She seems like a really good girl, so I kind of would like to see her and Rio interact more .

I guess this expedition was doomed the moment the bad guy planned to use it as an opportunity to test Rio's skills .

Ugh, I thought these noble boys couldn't get any worse, but then they blame their blunder and almost killing Flora on Rio (despite the fact that he was the one who saved her) and basically leave him for dead. No wonder Rio decided he was better of cutting and running than having to deal with that hassle .

Even having the princess advocating for Rio and knowing he didn't push her isn't enough because the royal family isn't as powerful as they used to be and the kingdom seems to be run by the rivalry of several noble houses. And one of those houses sees Rio as the perfect scapegoat to protect their image .

I'm glad Rio made sure to say goodbye to Celia and tell her he'll keep in touch, but it's sad to see them parted from each other, and Celia is obviously taking it hard. I feel like there was a lot left unsaid between the two of them, especially on Celia's side .

So Rio is going to be on the run and using "Haruto" as an alias. So I guess he's back to being Haruto? In some sense? Kind of not sure what name to use now .

Now they're hiring cute, animal girl, assassins to take Rio out? I think that girl is going to turn out to be the little girl from the bus, so looks like she and Haruto will reunite under less than stellar circumstances .
__________________
Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-20, 00:45   Link #54
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Canada
Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well they certainly live up to the scummy noble stereotypes. In some ways it sucks most for Flora in this scenario. Rio was always planning on leaving the country anyways. But she's left being saved by Rio twice, having everyone blame him for something she knows he didn't do, and not being able to do anything for someone she owes her life several times over to.

Of course also a tough break for Celia. She's well aware of the corruption behind this and loses her closest friend as a result of it. Sure, she'll be able to stay in touch over a distance. But that's not really the same thing as having him there. She might have thought there was time to process him leaving and make some sort of decision on her side. But circumstances didn't allow for that. Definitely curious to see what ends up happening with Celia. Has to be a breaking point coming for her. And I'd presume said breaking point would be a disgusting marriage to a scumbag noble being pushed on her.

Certainly convenient that Rio has a second name that's lined up for this scenario .
__________________
FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-20, 02:00   Link #55
Xiyon
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Somewhere
This ep felt more like a chore than previous ones. Still, now that Rio's out of the generic elitist academy, maybe we'll finally see a few fun adventures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Now they're hiring cute, animal girl, assassins to take Rio out? I think that girl is going to turn out to be the little girl from the bus, so looks like she and Haruto will reunite under less than stellar circumstances .
My money's on Rio solving the problem in like five mins to before commercial break. With Celia left behind, Rio needs a traveling companion, and kemonololi will likely serve just that.

Bigger questions are, does kemonololi also remember her past life and where did her sister go? Hell, where did the bus driver go??? XD
Xiyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-20, 03:30   Link #56
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 46
Yikes, the animation quality for the fights is pretty bad. Well, seems that "douchy noble" is the standard rather than the exception.
__________________
magnuskn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-20, 11:21   Link #57
Znail
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
(...)
Even having the princess advocating for Rio and knowing he didn't push her isn't enough because the royal family isn't as powerful as they used to be and the kingdom seems to be run by the rivalry of several noble houses. And one of those houses sees Rio as the perfect scapegoat to protect their image .
(...)
This is very typical of japanese fiction as Japan historically never developed into a true monarchy, but stayed feudal until modern times unlike Europe where monarchies was the norm.
Znail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-20, 12:47   Link #58
jagt
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Znail View Post
This is very typical of japanese fiction as Japan historically never developed into a true monarchy, but stayed feudal until modern times unlike Europe where monarchies was the norm.
In Europe the concept of absolute monarchy didn't appear until the 16th century, before that every country was a feudal realm too.
__________________
jagt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-20, 18:49   Link #59
Alchemist007
Senior Member
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: USA
Age: 32
The recurring prejudice of the characters who dislike Rio isn't frustrating as a trope anymore, it's just boring; as is the inevitable friendship of the animal girl in the dungeon (at least she's easier on the eyes I guess).
__________________
Alchemist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-20, 23:44   Link #60
scififan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Znail View Post
This is very typical of japanese fiction as Japan historically never developed into a true monarchy, but stayed feudal until modern times unlike Europe where monarchies was the norm.
Japan started out as a absolute monarchy during Yamato period. During the later period, Japan's royal family members fought over succession. Some members called in their distant relatives for coup. Their distant relatives were also part of royal families. Due to budget crisis, they were banished to remote area to lead low ranking servant(samurai). The coup elevated the political power of local samurai capitai. So, the royal family is relationship to local samurai captain is as the relationship between Hinata and Neji. The samurai captains could replace the monarch, but they had no intention to take the title of the monarch. There was no explanation. Perhaps, the samurai captains could not get the approval from other local samurai captains. So, being the regent with title of Marsha was the practical way to gover the kingdom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
The recurring prejudice of the characters who dislike Rio isn't frustrating as a trope anymore, it's just boring; as is the inevitable friendship of the animal girl in the dungeon (at least she's easier on the eyes I guess).
Implying Shield Hero? The reward of harem companions is too ridiculous. I guess.
scififan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.