AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-12-31, 03:17   Link #1
diane256

New laws?

Back when the RIAA started sueing, people stated that you can still download if you don't upload, and you will be safe,

Recently i have found articals that lead me to belive that Bush signed a law that "corrects" that little problem.

So what's the deal?
diane256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-31, 03:43   Link #2
Thany
Unfair

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane256
Back when the RIAA started sueing, people stated that you can still download if you don't upload, and you will be safe,

Recently i have found articals that lead me to belive that Bush signed a law that "corrects" that little problem.

So what's the deal?
Don't live in US, problem solved
Old 2004-12-31, 03:45   Link #3
HoboGod
Necromancer

got any links?
HoboGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-31, 04:08   Link #4
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Hmm, it's possible, stuff that the public won't like doesn't generally get much media coverage, if any at all. That would explain why I haven't heard of it. Isn't democracy wonderful? Still someone usually picks up these stories even if the mainstream media ignores it. Like Hobo, I'd need some links to convince me.
Of course, even if true, it strikes me as something the supreme court will overturn one day.
Old 2004-12-31, 06:52   Link #5
Esper 28
Akira

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure you the only reason you were safe by not uploading was because the RIAA was checking if people had pirated songs, movies, etc. based on what they could search for and find.

Like, on Kazaa, which they hit the hardest, they'd find you by what you were sharing. Not by what you were downloading.

Also, the only bill I know Bush to have put into effect that allows for them to look at your computer is the Patriot Act. Which, if I'm not mistaken, allows for them to check your computer whenever they want as long as they suspect you of doing something illegal.
Esper 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-31, 07:06   Link #6
ninja massacre

Send a message via MSN to ninja massacre
there is a swedish bittorrent place called the piratebay and they get letters from sega and other companies where it stands they should stop uploading there games, videos etc.
this what the letters and the answers from piratebay looks like:

Quote:
Originally Posted by some company called dreamworks
This letter is being written to you on behalf of our
client, DreamWorks SKG (hereinafter ^ÓDreamWorks^Ô).
DreamWorks is the exclusive owner of all copyright,
trademark and other intellectual property rights in
and to the ^ÓShrek 2^Ô motion picture. No one is
authorized to copy, reproduce, distribute, or
otherwise use the ^ÓShrek 2^Ô motion picture without
the express written permission of DreamWorks.

As you may be aware, Internet Service Providers can
be held liable if they do not respond to claims of
infringement pursuant to the requirements of the
Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). In
accordance with the DMCA, we request your assistance
in the removal of infringements of the ^ÓShrek 2^Ô
motion picture from this web site and any other sites
for which you act as an Internet Service Provider.
We further declare under penalty of perjury that we
are authorized to act on behalf of DreamWorks and
that the information in this letter is accurate.
Please contact me immediately to discuss this matter
further.
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratebays answer
As you may or may not be aware, Sweden is not a state in the United States
of America. Sweden is a country in northern Europe.
Unless you figured it out by now, US law does not apply here.
For your information, no Swedish law is being violated.

Please be assured that any further contact with us, regardless of medium,
will result in
a) a suit being filed for harassment
b) a formal complaint lodged with the bar of your legal counsel, for
sending frivolous legal threats.

It is the opinion of us and our lawyers that you are fucking morons, and
that you should please go sodomize yourself with retractable batons.

Please also note that your e-mail and letter will be published in full on
the pirate bay

Go fuck yourself.

Polite as usual,
anakata
prett nice shit there is a response from them which is very very funny and cocky as hell. I'll post it when I find it.
ninja massacre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-31, 07:20   Link #7
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja massacre
there is a swedish bittorrent place called the piratebay and they get letters from sega and other companies where it stands they should stop uploading there games, videos etc.
this what the letters and the answers from piratebay looks like:

prett nice shit there is a response from them which is very very funny and cocky as hell. I'll post it when I find it.
I read these as well but indexing links to warez is different form downloading/uploading warez. That's like comparing AnimeSuki to a HTTP/FTP warez download site.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-31, 15:30   Link #8
Thelastguardian

:)
Spoiler:
Old 2004-12-31, 16:38   Link #9
Reaver4k
Lucy's "Play Thing"

Send a message via MSN to Reaver4k
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelastguardian

Spoiler:
Unlike Sweden, Canada is a Bitch to the RIAA and MPAA

Also I liked the Letters they got aswell, Very Entertraining
Spoiler:
Reaver4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-31, 16:53   Link #10
transposed

In America you have the right to have one copy of any form of digital media you purchased legally in your possession at any point in time. So if you bought a Musical CD, Software, etc you can make a "backup copy" and store it on your computer or burn it to CD, etc.

Though it's basically stealing to download copyrighted work (if the copyright has relevance in your country) that you don't already have a purchased copy of, it's been this way for many years. Bush didn't have anything to do with it. However, it is much harder to track down the 100,000 people who all downloaded something and then prove that they never owned it beforehand, than to bust the comparatively few people distributing the item(s). This is why (as someone else mentioned) you mainly see the big companies going after servers who distribute their copyrighted material, people who share large amounts of their copyrighted material through programs such as Kazaa, etc.

Though I can't say it's "safe" to download anything you don't have legal rights to, the country you live in, their laws, and your level of discretion in what you do can minimize the chances of any legal action. I'd just be careful what you do, what you download, and where you download from as they are trying to make examples out of people who share files illegally.
transposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-31, 18:50   Link #11
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

Downloading legal, but uploading illegal makes perfect sense to me. It's pretty smart, it doesn't cause people to fuse so much and plus... eventually therre will be tons of downloaders... but no uploads, thus, nothing to download... so basically that rule eliminates everything. It totally ruins BT
ChibiDusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-31, 18:57   Link #12
Thany
Unfair

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiDusk
Downloading legal, but uploading illegal makes perfect sense to me. It's pretty smart, it doesn't cause people to fuse so much and plus... eventually therre will be tons of downloaders... but no uploads, thus, nothing to download... so basically that rule eliminates everything. It totally ruins BT
Not really since not everyone is living in the US
The US don't make the laws for the others countries as far as I remember, and it's a good thing
Old 2004-12-31, 19:02   Link #13
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thany
The US don't make the laws for the others countries as far as I remember, and it's a good thing

Just wait until we're done, We'll be dictating law to 90% of the globe.

Iraq and Afganistan? Just stepping stones, Baby.

Coming to a country near you, AMERICA'S TANKS, BEYOTCH!
Komataguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-31, 19:17   Link #14
Reaver4k
Lucy's "Play Thing"

Quote:

Yes, But they can Pressure, Whine, Bitch, Threaten, Sucker other Countries into doing what they want them to do. Which works all to well when your the only superpower and also has the most powerful economy in the world. I just love America.

The States does it to Canada all the time.
Old 2004-12-31, 22:51   Link #15
NinjaServ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiDusk
Downloading copyrighted material is deemed illegal too because downloading is "making a copy to your hard drive" so they deem that under "copying"....-_-;;
NinjaServ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-01, 05:24   Link #16
Thany
Unfair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver4k
Yes, But they can Pressure, Whine, Bitch, Threaten, Sucker other Countries into doing what they want them to do. Which works all to well when your the only superpower and also has the most powerful economy in the world. I just love America.

The States does it to Canada all the time.
It works for the Canada maybe, but it won't work for any country.
You just have to see the quotes of PirateBays
Old 2005-01-01, 07:41   Link #17
LynnieS

Quote:
There is the bankruptcy filing in Houston (TX, USA) by an officer in Yukos to prevent Russia from auctioning off the main producing unit of Yukos. While it didn't stop Russia from doing an end run by selling off the property for basically peanuts (only 9 billion USD), it did stop the banks from extending a credit line to Gazprom to make its bid at the time while the case is being heard by the courts. One of the reasons the news gave for their doing so was, if I remember correctly, to avoid having their people held for contempt if they arrive in the U.S.

Jurisdiction is always a pain to have to deal with, and pissing off lawyers is never a good thing, especially in a style of government that allows laws to be changed.

An interesting reply from Pirate Bay, though; no case law, no citations, nothing pertinent to whether or not anyone had actually made sure that they were actually in the clear. Just a bunch of insults.

What's more interesting is that if anyone in the U.S. pirates Swedish works, the Swedes would be free to use the DMCA if they choose to do it. ROTFL. The U.S. should add a reciprocity clause to the DMCA to allow for the pirating of works from other countries that don't agree to abide by U.S. copyrights. I can't think of any Swedish works that would be affected, however, if this happens; maybe raise tariffs on Swedish products in its place would be workable - just pretend it's for something else like dumping.

Does the Swedish law mean that you are also allowed to put up works from artists inside the E.U., by the way, like music by Britsh artists or movies funded or co-funded by European studios and companies? That'll be a fun case to see who wins in Brussels if one happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver4k
[The U.S.] also has the most powerful economy in the world.
Sure. It's a great situation for the U.S. to be in - consume a lot and have other countries freely lend it money to pay for everything, not to mention having, basically, the benchmark currency in the world right now. I wouldn't be surprised if other countries want to be in the U.S.'s shoes.

(Isn't the Canadian economy still heavily tied to that of the U.S.'s, by the way?)

Of course, by consuming what other countries are producing, the U.S. is helping to keep their people employed; money flows in both directions, and even a multinational can't keep all of its profits in one country. It's a nice situation for everyone so long as it doesn't get off-balanced in either direction, IMHO.

(I do wonder if the E.U. will actually meet its projected 2005 growth rate now, though.)

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-01, 12:59   Link #18
Reaver4k
Lucy's "Play Thing"

Quote:
It works some times. Probaly the US is going to sucker Canada into ICBM Missile defance.

Quote:
(Isn't the Canadian economy still heavily tied to that of the U.S.'s, by the way?)
Yes they are.
Old 2005-01-01, 17:31   Link #19
zappater
zapper

They have been attacked by sega in the uk, and by some Swedish companies.
It went just as with the American ones.
zappater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-01, 20:26   Link #20
Yamano667
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
I wouldnt live in america even if they gave me a million bucks

Quote:
Don't live in US, problem solved
Yamano667 is offline   Reply With Quote