AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2020-11-22, 21:24   Link #101
zztop

Next week's episode will likely be their take on the 1st ever Sherlock Holmes story, A Study in Scarlet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I know he was dumb and unstable at the best of times, but what did Enders fear, exactly? That he'd find himself in a Monty Python sketch?
- "It's him, your honor, he stabbed me in the heart and threw him overboard!"
- "And now you're back on the ship and well enough to attend the ballet?"
- "I got better and swam."
Looks to be that. He WAS dumb and unstable, and fear makes people do stupid things. Exactly as Moriarty expected it would go considering the man's psychology.

PS. I've heard the anime is quite popular on Twitter; given most female anime fans tend to flock there.
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-22, 21:28   Link #102
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
I know he was dumb and unstable at the best of times, but what did Enders fear, exactly?
I guess witnessing the man he killed came back to life really chipped away some of his sanity & fed into his paranoia. The fact that everyone on the ship caught him red handed might just broke him. And all that was preceded by the (fake) news of his business burned to the ground. With all that pride, he was already unstable at that point.
Old 2020-11-23, 00:46   Link #103
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
I know he was dumb and unstable at the best of times, but what did Enders fear, exactly? That he'd find himself in a Monty Python sketch?
- "It's him, your honor, he stabbed me in the heart and threw him overboard!"
- "And now you're back on the ship and well enough to attend the ballet?"
- "I got better and swam."
It's funny you say that, because Python was all I could think about during this entire episode.
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

And then this, which is the only comparably realistic depiction of the British aristocracy that I can recall.

YouTube
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-23, 09:29   Link #104
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
And then this, which is the only comparably realistic depiction of the British aristocracy that I can recall.
They're all auditioning to appear in season five of The Crown.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-29, 15:41   Link #105
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Looks like it was Mss Hudson's turn to drink the youth potion this time... Also wasn't holmes supposed to be... you know... rich...

And why does Ms Hudson remind me on another character... I can't put my finger in who... but.... Wait the woman from Alienist perhaps?
Anyhow... MS Hudson the new Ms Addler?

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.

Last edited by AC-Phoenix; 2020-11-29 at 15:54.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-29, 16:42   Link #106
Tenzen12

Watson moved to Sherlocks flat because Holmes was looking for someone to split rent. That much anime got completely right and while Detective often got pretty hefty paycheck for consulting cases, it was never made clear whether he has any side income. Considering that it was when there was no case he would often look for stimulation in morphine and cocain, it wouldn't be surprising for him to find himself in financial troubles in such times.

Well, as for Mrs. Hudson, she might be younger then in books but her personality perfectly fits canon description at least. Not that books ever actually mentioned her age in first place and her being older is just speculation even if probably correct one.
Old 2020-11-30, 10:37   Link #107
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
Looks like it was Mss Hudson's turn to drink the youth potion this time... Also wasn't holmes supposed to be... you know... rich...

And why does Ms Hudson remind me on another character... I can't put my finger in who... but.... Wait the woman from Alienist perhaps?
I looked it up, and apparently there's never any mention of Mrs Hudson's age - only that she's a widow.

And also Sherlock is supposed to pay her very well. (The dying detective.)
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-30, 18:32   Link #108
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

"His payments to her are princely."

- Dr. John Watson
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-30, 20:23   Link #109
BBally81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
You could be ammoral prick all you want, but if you couldn't hide it, then you are out of noble society forever. If anything especially upper class woman would spend lot of time and family money on various charities. If you are noble you can of course try excort you power to commit crimes, but it wasn't enviroment where it would be "fine" or "normal" as you say.
Hence why the rest of the nobles on the ship were horrified at Enders action. That being said regardless of the 1880s being regarded as an "enlighten" era. There were still corruption among the higher rankings of the class system who could still get away with atrocities thanks to their status. If that wasn't the case, we wouldn't have gotten ton of fiction about it.

The 19th century was filled with injustices like that.

Quote:
There was also a lack of education in Victorian Era. There was also a permission to the children of elite class to go to school and the children of lower class had no rights to go to school. The poor people were oppressed and exploited at every stage. Poor people were urged to work in factories and not attend schools. Elite class always understood that to get education is also the right of rich people and institutions are only made for this class. Charles Dickens criticised this kind of education system and also described in his major literary works. These literary works also arouse emotions in people to get their rights.(Belmer 29)
While not as bad as previous years like the 1830's, the 1880's still had its issues, injustice like that didn't go away overnight, it took years, decades even. Let's take child labor for example, while many laws were applied since the 1830s either they weren't enough or too difficult to enforce, it wasn't until the Factory Acts, in 1878, 1891 and 1895, where Parliament placed additional limits on the employment of women and children in factories, and considerably extended earlier safety regulations.

Then there's works like Tess of the d'Urbervilles: A Pure Woman Faithfully Presented, a 1891 novel that challenged the sexual morals of late Victorian England by depicting the oppressed and tragic lifestyles women went through during the 1870s especially women of working class.

In fact the Sherlock Holmes stories tend to be placed as early as 1878 according to the official Sherlock Holmes website.

The Noatic arc did some big changes to the story from the manga.

The commoner who was murdered by Enders was an innocent victim, which showed that Moriarty and co. would go to any length to achieve their goals. And in the manga Enders threw himself off the boat in a dramatic fashion preferring to face instant death instead of facing the consequences and be dragged to the mud like a "commoner".
BBally81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-30, 21:18   Link #110
Tenzen12

It's not like there exist era where power and money doesn't make easier to get away with stuff. thatt's still true even now. If you remember I was arguing againt evils portraited by YnM being literaly "explainable by time period" and that stuff like hunting commoners for fun "was norm". If it was norm noone would give a cr*p about what happened on Noahtic. I also think it's safe to say it would hard to find any time period where that would be true. There probably are some period with less corruption, but Victorian England would still be very far from worst offender, due it's high moral standards, even if they were often upheld just for sake of appearence.
Old 2020-11-30, 22:21   Link #111
BBally81

One issue watching this anime (even though I think it's pretty good), is thinking about the historical accuracies (buildings, clothes...etc)

That's why I've been enjoying Clockwork Dandy Noodles' review of the anime, as she goes into detail about the history and background of the era as presented in the episodes.

YouTube
YouTube

She also goes into detail on the color changes and how it used for the mood of certain scenes and the use of flowers in the anime's intermission card as shown in 16:00 (each card has given each character who appeared on them a different type of flower that might be a form of symbolism).
YouTube
Old 2020-12-01, 14:59   Link #112
BBally81

I was looking forward to this one because A Study in "S" is one of my favorite stories from the manga, the way I see Holmes and Watson are the true heroes of the manga.

This is also a loose adaptation of the first Sherlock Holmes story, A Study in Scarlet, hence the title A Study in "S" (though in this case the "S" stands for Sherlock), looking forward to the next part.

While Moriarty is the "protagonist", he doesn't across as a heroic character especially in the manga (the commoner who they allowed Enders to kill in Episode 6 was an innocent victim in the original version of the Noatic arc)

Also think of the manga and what's it's doing for Professor Moriarty as what Lex Luthor: Man of Steel did for Lex Luthor, telling the story from his point of view and trying to justify his criminal actions.

Last edited by BBally81; 2020-12-01 at 16:57.
Old 2020-12-01, 15:29   Link #113
Tenzen12

Manga comparisson are allowed only as long as it's material already covered by anime. So leaving that spoiler here can get you into trouble.
Old 2020-12-01, 15:39   Link #114
BBally81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Manga comparisson are allowed only as long as it's material already covered by anime. So leaving that spoiler here can get you into trouble.
That's why I put it under Spoilers.
Old 2020-12-01, 16:53   Link #115
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBally81 View Post
That's why I put it under Spoilers.
Even under spoilers it's not allowed.
Old 2020-12-01, 16:56   Link #116
BBally81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedmind View Post
That's weird, usually on several forums including anime forums as long as you have it behind a Spoiler wall, then it's allowed.

But I'll remove it anyway, don't want to risk it.
Old 2020-12-01, 17:40   Link #117
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedmind View Post
Quote:
That's weird, usually on several forums including anime forums as long as you have it behind a Spoiler wall, then it's allowed.

Manga comparisons under spoiler tags are allowed.
However recently, a lot of anime have started to re-arrange somethings in the anime adaption, meaning just because it has been skipped atm doesn't necessarily mean it will be skipped period.
This one in particular looks like a flashback of some sorts too, so it's possible they'll add it in later.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-01, 17:44   Link #118
LKK

Quote:
Our experience has been that spoiler walls are very unreliable as the thread continues on and eventually spoilers tend to leak out as the discussion continues. Therefore, we tend to be stricter than most forums when it comes to spoilers. I suggest you read the forum rule thread IMPORTANT: Absolutely NO Hints or Spoilers in Anime Threads (Details Inside) for a deeper understanding of spoilers in our anime threads.

Quote:
Thank you.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-03, 23:53   Link #119
alex_drian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post

As someone that don't know about the original and the only conection with Sherlock stories is the Robert Dawney Jr. movies, Cumberbatch TV series and forehead series, was the original Ms. Hudson always so...tsundere?
alex_drian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-04, 01:27   Link #120
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_drian View Post
As someone that don't know about the original and the only conection with Sherlock stories is the Robert Dawney Jr. movies, Cumberbatch TV series and forehead series, was the original Ms. Hudson always so...tsundere?
I don't know if it's considered tsundere or not but IIRC Ms. Hudson sometimes berated Sherlock coz she cared about him or his well-being at least.