Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-01-24, 11:44   Link #1
Kristen
*Author

Something extremely short...

I'm looking for a really really short show to fill a slot. It'd probably have to be an OVA, by my guess. The maximum time that it can be is the equivalent of 3 anime episodes. I think Movies are fair game as well.

I'm looking for something, preferably a romance, that is self contained. In other words, things like "Sailor Moon Movie" do not work, because it is tied to a series. However, something like "Air Movie" would work, since it can be watched without seeing the show and tell the full story.
Old 2008-01-24, 12:05   Link #2
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

My first choice would be REC, nine episodes of about 12 minutes each. Blends comedy, drama, and romance into a very enjoyable package.

Another option might be Shinkai's Voices of a Distant Star, a single 25 minute OVA. Lovely but sad story about two lovers separated when one goes on a space mission.
Old 2008-01-24, 12:09   Link #3
migus_parvus

Makoto Shinkai's Voices of a Distant Star, The Place Promised in Our Early Days and 5cm Per Second, is right up your alley. All romance and short, Voice of a Distant Star being 30 min and the other two about 1 hour 30 min. Personally I rate Voices of a Distant Star as one of the best one shot OAVs.
Old 2008-01-24, 12:30   Link #4
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Three episodes? That's a bit hard. I'd recommend Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora (6 episodes) and REC (9 half-episodes). The OVA Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal (4? episodes) is good as well.

For movies, definitely Kumo no Mukou, Yakusoku no Basho, Byousoku 5 Centimeter, and Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo.
Old 2008-01-24, 13:52   Link #5
mdauben

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
My first choice would be REC, nine episodes of about 12 minutes each. Blends comedy, drama, and romance into a very enjoyable package.

Another option might be Shinkai's Voices of a Distant Star, a single 25 minute OVA. Lovely but sad story about two lovers separated when one goes on a space mission.
QFT. Seijiensei is spot on for short romance recomendations. These are the same two I would pick as the best choices.
Old 2008-01-24, 14:54   Link #6
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Banner of the Stars III is a short 2 episode special about Jinto going back to his homeworld. It's a fun revisiting of old characters we know and love.
Old 2008-01-24, 14:54   Link #7
mcruz1014
Eye Have You

Send a message via Yahoo to mcruz1014
I'm seconding Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora. It's one of the better romance series out there at only six episodes.
Old 2008-01-24, 15:30   Link #8
Kristen
*Author

Again, this is 3 episodes. It cannot be longer than 3, no matter what. It's meant to fill in a timeslot at my club.
Movies can be up to 72 minutes long.

Thanks for the suggestions, by the way. I'm looking into them now.
Old 2008-01-24, 15:35   Link #9
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

So if it can be up to 72 minutes long, then Byousoku 5 Centimeter can be good (63 minutes) but...it's not an anime that all would like/understand.
Old 2008-01-24, 15:35   Link #10
Phantasmagoria
*Author

Pipiru Piru Piru Pipiru Pi! Pipiru Piru Piru Pipiru Pi! Pipiru Piru Piru Pipiru Pi!

(This is not a spam, lol)

Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 2008-01-24 at 15:46.
Old 2008-01-24, 17:31   Link #11
Telmah

Send a message via AIM to Telmah Send a message via MSN to Telmah
I'll definitely add my voice in to suggestion "Voices of a Distant Star." Perhaps add it as a double feature with something that is short? It's one of the most compelling series of any length I've seen. Before watching it, I was very skeptical about any OVA.

Shinigami's Ballad is only six episodes, but they are all self contained, if I recall. Not romantic in all of them but still very touching of a show.

There's a host of movies out there. Princess Mononoke, Nausicaa of the Wind Valley, Spirited Away, or any of the big Ghibli films might be interesting, though probably not romantic.

Ninja Scroll is a considered a good action movie, though it might be too graphic for a club.

Also Perfect Blue is a thriller, but again graphic and not romantic.

I actually liked Ruin Explorers (a 4 part Ova), however it's more comedy/swords and sorcery.

Tales of Symphonia has a more romantic feel to it, as well as again swords and sorcery, though many people loathe anime based on video games.
Old 2008-01-24, 21:57   Link #12
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post

Seconded, both of them. Too bad only 3, otherwise you'd get Trust and Betrayal, which is sadly 4.
Old 2008-01-25, 00:02   Link #13
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Because it's the only really short anime I can think of at the moment, I'll just say Murder Princess. It's only 6 episodes long, but fairly interesting, and some nice action (while it lasts).
Old 2008-01-25, 02:48   Link #14
Riker
Peek a boo
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissieXD View Post
...probably have to be an OVA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissieXD View Post
...preferably a romance, that is self contained.
Mizuiro (2003). One of my favourite OVA. Not to be confused with this OVA which is from the same series, but a 18+ adaptation. You can watch this short clip of episode 1 on youtube to see if it fits your criteria.
Old 2008-01-25, 05:00   Link #15
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

I forgot to mention, but _summer could be a good, slice of life 2 episode anime with some elements of romance.
Old 2008-01-26, 05:16   Link #16
GrapeSoda

I highly recommend the movie Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo. I believe it even won some awards at a film festival. It has a little romance, and it tells a complete story in its 98 minutes.
Old 2008-01-26, 05:54   Link #17
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The three OVAs of Ichigo Masimaro if your club is brave enough --- that'll fit into 72 minutes if you skip the OP/ED after the first episode.
Otherwise, maybe 3 carefully chosen episodes of Lucky*Star or PaniPoniDash since they're all about the sketch comedy.

The REC series would fit into 72 minutes if you FF past the OP/EDs after an ep or two.
Old 2008-01-26, 08:25   Link #18
ReizoSan
Make Your Move

Memories Off OVA.
Old 2008-01-28, 05:25   Link #19
Keirn

I suggest Natsuiro no Sunadokei. It is a well done romance story and is only two episodes long.

Actually, I guess it's a harem, but the main character only loves one girl, he's not trying to decide between them.
Old 2008-01-28, 22:07   Link #20
bbduece
Ultimate Coordinator

Kazemakase Tsukikage Ran
Final Approach

Last edited by bbduece; 2008-01-28 at 22:19.
Closed Thread