AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-06-09, 19:06   Link #321
nanafan
horo fan

actually although i don't remember with the act i think i probably did better in writing, math is hard for me, and i was used to writing essays and stuff already. in my opinion i studied but, these are the kind of tests where you either know it or you don't.
nanafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-10, 02:17   Link #322
ashesatdusk

Send a message via AIM to ashesatdusk
Quote:
If you have a lot of trouble finishing the SAT sections in time, I actually wouldn't recommend taking the ACT. The only problem that I had on the ACT was that I almost didn't have enough time to finish the test. I was rushing the entire time. I finish SAT sections in nearly half the time that they give you.

If you can just memorize the raw grammar, your score will improve by a lot on the SAT. The ACT actually tests writing in context and gives you an advantage if you have a lot of experience writing.

The best advice I can give you is to get a prep book. It didn't really work for me (2050 to 2150), but other people say it really helps.
I agree with this. I don't know how much its changed, I took the last SAT/ACT before they did the writing section when I was in high school. I had trouble finishing the SAT (1350/1600), and did significantly worse on the ACT (26)...

Higher the score less likely your to gain. Some studies have shown prep books only raise scores about 40 points on average. You have to consider the kinds of kids who are getting prep books. Most of them would have been in the top 15% with out it any way. (I.E 1200-1600 range on the old one, I'm guessing 1800+ on the new one). I think a 100 point raise is pretty decent. It doesn't look as nice though. When I took it, there was a major difference between 1300 and 1200, 1300 means you had a shot of some of the bigger private schools, it also meant scholarships at most public schools.

Why oh why did I do summer school. Intermediate Micro Economics on Thursday follwed by introduction to Econometrics.

lalalala I have no life.
Old 2008-06-10, 02:24   Link #323
oompa loompa

i third this.. though there is one thing no one should have any illusion about. The SAT doesnt test how smart you are, it just tests how well you can do the SAT. when you study for it, study for it with this mindset. THAT can make a difference. If your test prep book says follow something, follow it religiously, and you will see results

from personal experience, i raised my score from a 1960 to a 2150, while that isnt a great score, out of 1600 ( i never studied writing, cos i know it didnt help, i went from 1360 - 720 math 640 CR, to 1510, 760 math 750 CR).. so trust me, if you didnt do too great on the sat, doesnt matter for sh*t, it can be cracked. also, percentiles matter, not just the score.

SAT 2 is of course significantly easier, for example, it shouldnt be too tough at all getting a 750+ on math IIC

Last edited by oompa loompa; 2008-06-17 at 00:42.
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-16, 00:05   Link #324
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I always despised the idea of the SAT. They've changed it since I took it, but given all of the exam types I've taken (SAT, SAT II's, MCAT (the 8-hour version), GRE) the SAT is one of the simpler ones as it seems to focus on the basics. The good news is, for all of you who have high educational aspirations, the GRE (Graduate Records Examination) is pretty similar to the SAT. Arguably the types of questions are near the exact same. So the studying you do now could help you down the line, if you're thinking of going for graduate school.

I'm rather pleased, I'll be starting a graduate program in the fall. I'll miss having jobs and making money, but it'll be nice to be a student again.
Old 2008-06-16, 08:45   Link #325
desi09
Sono un cattivo perdente.

T_T *wants to steal all of the brains in this thread* I don't know how you guys do it. After the first two hours, I'm already brain dead. It's sooo tiring to take that test, and if I have to take that test for the third time, I'll go crazy T_T.

I have to agree that the SAT II Subject Tests are way easier, and it's better taking them around the same date as the APs, so then all the info will be in your head ...worked for me....
desi09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-17, 00:28   Link #326
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by desi09 View Post
*wants to steal all of the brains in this thread*
Haha, I definitely agree. I don't know how the people in this thread do it, but during the two times that I took the PSAT in school, I didn't score very high (around 1600 out of 2400 total, if I remember correctly). Math is the only subject that's saving me, and I'm the only person I know that does worse on the writing portion than the reading portion.

That said, though, I wasn't exactly in optimal condition when I took the tests. Plus, not being a native and in addition to laziness, I couldn't (and can't) bring myself to studying the extra vocabularies and grammars... I hear that SAT is somewhat harder than PSAT, though.

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
teachopvutru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-17, 00:40   Link #327
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiachopvutru View Post
Haha, I definitely agree. I don't know how the people in this thread do it, but during the two times that I took the PSAT in school, I didn't score very high (around 1600 out of 2400 total, if I remember correctly). Math is the only subject that's saving me, and I'm the only person I know that does worse on the writing portion than the reading portion.

That said, though, I wasn't exactly in optimal condition when I took the tests. Plus, not being a native and in addition to laziness, I couldn't (and can't) bring myself to studying the extra vocabularies and grammars... I hear that SAT is somewhat harder than PSAT, though.
ill say it again, the SAT is not about being smart..

hey, i did worse on writing than reading!! i got 110 more in reading than in writing when i did it last year lol. im sorry but grammar just pisses me off..
Old 2008-06-17, 21:51   Link #328
nanafan
horo fan

ledgem good luck with graduate school, i wish i could do that but i don't think i want to go back to school just yet and i probably couldn't afford it.
Old 2008-06-18, 10:12   Link #329
Amray

I handed in all of my College coursework before deadline, all I have to do know is go back in on the 26th because I was invited to a trip that was originally meant for national diploma students, although the tutor allowed 12 students from my class whom prove worthy and deserving to go. I was quite honored. ^^

I hope I passed though so that I may go onto the National Course next year.
Amray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-18, 10:18   Link #330
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Freedom is good...oh so good!

I've just finished my last ever exam for my A-levels and it feels awesome...
I think the fear of it will settle in a few days later when I begin to worry about the results (as they decide whether I get into university or not but for now, it is party all around!

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-18, 22:33   Link #331
OMchan
オムちゃん

Just got through my Marketing exam. Don't you just hate it when doing multiple choice, you narrow it down to two answers but they both seem equally right?

*sigh* Now time to study and drag my feet through Cost Accounting...

Kimi ni Todoke
OMchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-19, 00:11   Link #332
Kylaran
A Priori Impossibility

Take it all with a Grain of Salt.

About these tests... I think they're a priority for students, but...

You know how it is in real life (in anime too) -- students tend to view things so very differently from how they actually are. Well, what I mean is... Try your best, but don't worry yourself to death over it.

Our school valedictorian is probably one of the most disliked, most pitied people on campus. It's all about how you deal with pressure and how you act in the face of such trials such as standardized testing. You can always focus on your hobbies or social skils instead (not that I'm automatically assuming those here don't have any).

If you're really interested in reaching the higher up schools, you might even want to consider prep school. I know there's a lot in California. Well, most of those are schools are owned by Chinese people... Confucius has us whipped.

Test books only help if you've got the perserverence to do it yourself. I bought like 3 of those thick books, each with about 12 tests. Did I touch them once? Nope. I sold them to some underclassmen for about $5 less than the retail, and ended up with a 2140 combined score (from multiple exams) for the UCs (University of California, for anyone who's unfamiliar with our state's public universities).

I also scored about 150 points higher on reading than writing. T.T;

Anyway, I keep ranting. ^^; I think the most important thing is being serious about one's future. When it comes down to it, gaining work experience (possibly for a job that doesn't even pair with your major) is probably the most important. Plus, if your boss likes you, you're set!

Give it your best shot, and well... You can go to a decent college without a 4.0 GPA and a 2200+. Guarantee it. So take these tests with a grain of salt. I don't have a wit of commen sense about me yet I score well empigj on tests without studying.

~Ky

P.S.
I know this kinda comes from no where, but I always feel a sense of danger reading threads like these. T.T; Sorry for intruding on the thread.

~Ky
Kylaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-19, 01:45   Link #333
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylaran View Post
Test books only help if you've got the perserverence to do it yourself. I bought like 3 of those thick books, each with about 12 tests. Did I touch them once? Nope. I sold them to some underclassmen for about $5 less than the retail, and ended up with a 2140 combined score (from multiple exams) for the UCs (University of California, for anyone who's unfamiliar with our state's public universities).
Good to know I'm not the only one
Old 2008-06-19, 17:18   Link #334
nikorai

Send a message via ICQ to nikorai
tripperazn
Nice to see you stopping by.

Closer to the point, I have my exam on psychology/pedagogy as part of my graduate studies. It's on june 26. There's a lot to read but after that hopefully i'd have short vacations. The schedule basically doesn't suppose any breaks but it's impossible to study 24\7\365 way.

personal page at nikorai1.narod.ru
nikorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-19, 17:32   Link #335
nanafan
horo fan

yeah i admit that for some of my classes i would read all the text books in the beginning of the semester, but half way through i stop because sometimes you don't even to need to read the text many classes the book wasn't even really needed. sometimes i had to catch up which was no fun at all. i also hated taking the classes that were completely pointless that had nothing to do with your major. that's what my college did, they make you take a butt load of gen ed classes to make you a well rounded individual as they say, but only some of those classes are even interesting in my opinion. sorry that was a long rant, but at least i am out of college so i don't have to worry about that crap anymore. but good luck to everyone on their exams, i also would get worried around that time, but realized i could only do my best which is within my power, and remember d's get a degree too.
Old 2008-06-20, 13:40   Link #336
radioIzzy
stuck in a harem genre
*Artist

Wee xD

I'm ready to dominate my Math 12 Provincial Exam

Permutations and Probabilty... Your getting your ass pwned my me!

Seriously. I'm so nervous right now...
radioIzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-20, 13:57   Link #337
Amirali
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Amirali
Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post
ill say it again, the SAT is not about being smart..
As someone who got a good SAT score and is currently in college, I'd agree entirely. The SAT English is just about being in habit of reading regularly (or writing), while the SAT Maths is a bunch of stunts involving various multiplications, word problems and triangles. Essentially, SAT is the equivalent of testing a potential engineer by seeing how many bricks he can lift above his head.

The test CAN be cracked, as other people have said. The prep books and vocab learning help, in short run. Practice tests are vital. In the long run, however, nothing beats reading magnificent books, especially the likes of Dickens and Austen. Yes,I know classics have reputation for being boring..........but a lot of them are fun. These were the pop-culture favourites, the Harrt Potters and Da Vinci Codes of their era.
Writing regularly helps a lot too, especially if you can get feedback from a helpful teacher. Doesn't have to be writing boring essays on the American Constitution, just whatever you find entertaining.

I'd also note that SAT scores aren't as important now as they used to be. If you have good grades in school, strong extracurriculars and a thoughtful personal statement.......a bright future beckons!
Amirali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-21, 00:19   Link #338
radioIzzy
stuck in a harem genre
*Artist

Just wondering. Does volunteer help for the future for post-secondary?
I don't know, this might just be Canada. But lots of graduates said have said to me that volunteer hours are great.
radioIzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-21, 01:46   Link #339
Ice Climbers
Retired
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirali1985 View Post
I'd also note that SAT scores aren't as important now as they used to be. If you have good grades in school, strong extracurriculars and a thoughtful personal statement.......a bright future beckons!
I have to agree with that. A strong GPA is very important nowadays. Extracurriculars are musts. And yes, the essay which is really really hard to start on...yea.
Old 2008-06-21, 02:19   Link #340
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Climbers View Post
I have to agree with that. A strong GPA is very important nowadays. Extracurriculars are musts. And yes, the essay which is really really hard to start on...yea.
mmm i wouldnt say thats exactly true.. for example, in my case the SAT mattered a hell of a lot. thats cos my school system (CBSE) isnt 'recognized' by colleges in the US. and its a fact, theres a ridiculous amount of forging of transcripts and grades here, and people are beginning to catch on about it. what pulled me through into a college was eca + SAT + recos