AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-08-29, 02:03   Link #1
GaleWings

Looking for well plotted animes.

(Yay first post! I couldn't find any introduce me sections but anyway...)

Ok I feel like I'm running out of animes to watch. It is kind of ironic because I have watched very few animes. The most important thing that I want in an anime is a strong plot. Anyways I really like animes especially ones with females that aren't completely useless and assertive. I want females that are actually tough. A anime with a strong female lead is very welcomed as long as the plot is solid.
However, there were some that I enjoyed despite of the requirements I have just mentioned. Oh ya, I really hate comedy but some is ok.

I really like animes with romance, action, fantasy, and violence. I don't really like mecha (Code geass is an exception).

Animes I watched and Liked:

Full Metal Alchemist
Claymore (til the 2nd half of the anime)
Deathnote
Fate/Stay Night
Code Geass
Code Geass R2

Animes I didn't really enjoy but watched regardless):

Naruto (the one where Naruto was still young. I read the manga and didn't feel like a need to watch the grown up anime)
Bleach (until the end soul society arc)
Basilisk
Ruruoni Kenshin

Animes I disliked:

Full Metal Panic
Shakugan no Shana

I might have missed some animes. YES I'M A ANIME NUB
Old 2008-08-29, 02:47   Link #2
Synria_
Aboard Kallen's Bandwagon

One anime that had an epic plot to me was Trinity Blood. (What is left of it, because the creator died midway through... but still strong)
Old 2008-08-29, 03:20   Link #3
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaleWings View Post
Anyways I really like animes especially ones with females that aren't completely useless and assertive. I want females that are actually tough.
Quote:
Deathnote
Code Geass
Code Geass R2
I don't quite see how these fit into strong plot or strong female characters.

Well, for a strong plot with strong female characters, you can always start out with Miyazaki's movies. Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Nausicaa, and Laputa are especially recommended.

Satoshi Kon's movies often focus on strong female characters with excellent writing, though the "plot" itself usually isn't an important factor.
Millenium Actress is the one I would recommend most to you, though.

You might want to try Key-KyoAni's works if you're into drama with a tinge of romance:
Air, Kanon (2006), and Clannad are all dramas with romance and several strong female characters.

Seirei no Moribito is a series with a strong female lead with action, a touch of fantasy, and a focus on characters.
Old 2008-08-29, 03:38   Link #4
GaleWings

Well I did say I had exceptions

I'm currently watching Seirei no Moribito. I'll watch the recommendations as soon as possible.

Btw is Eureka 7 good?
Old 2008-08-29, 04:35   Link #5
Arkuatic

Samurai Champloo-two samurai's out to dice each other are bounded by a promise to a 15 year old girl set to find the samurai that smells like sunflowers. Story is packed with awesome fight scenes, few twists, love, and blood.

Shingetsutan Tsukihime-From the creators of Fate/Stay Night comes the very similar but alternate setting.

Utawarerumono-A man, injured and unconcious is found and brought to the safety of the village elder's home. His past unknown, his name unknown, and a mask that cannot be removed with the greatest of desires, sets him off on an unexpected but glorious destiny to build an empire. Utware is a unique anime with a vague beginning but its the type where its completely oblivious with the flow of the story; you'll find yourself more indulged in the empire he builds with his heart.
Old 2008-08-29, 06:01   Link #6
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

eureka seven would have been my first suggestion indeed. It has an amazing plot, amazing characters, and is one of the best shows ever. Definitely watch. And then come back for more suggestions, because I can give you several hundred.
Old 2008-08-29, 12:51   Link #7
LeoXiao
思想工作

if you didn't like full metal panic, i might have a hard time here...

Anyway, I'd recommend full metal panic (oops, nevermind), Ghost in the Shell, and Monster. Both of these animes have very deep, intense plots that even I can't completely figure out yet. They are also quite intellectually stimulating.
Old 2008-08-29, 12:58   Link #8
sliick

Eureka seven is an amazing anime..
try bone Studio and there anime..
very nice anime.
Old 2008-08-30, 00:13   Link #9
blewin

I third Eureka Seven, especially that you like FMA. Those two are similar despite the surface difference of fantasy and mecha.

as for other recommendations:

Black Lagoon
- strong female character Revy. Heavy action and some difference in viewpoints.
Scrapped Princess - strong female character in her own way. Fantasy and sci-fic. Great plot and characters.
Last Exile - um.... steampunk.
Old 2008-08-30, 03:59   Link #10
Bambii

Watch anything from Studio Ghibli. They make amazing animes... Also, Karin is a nice, bloddy romance (although not bloody in violent sense XD)
Old 2008-08-30, 08:23   Link #11
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Complete, unlicensed
Shion no Ou - four-year-old girl sees parents brutally murdered, later becomes Shougi prodigy
Hataraki Man - 28-yo editor copes with patriarchy in a Japanese publishing house
Nodame Cantabile - flaky but talented college-aged musician finds her future and maybe a lover

Complete, licensed
Juuni Kokki ("Twelve Kingdoms") - whiny high-school girl discovers her true identity in a fantasy Asian empire
Noein - 12-yo girl finds herself the nexus of a conflict between parallel dimensions
Saiunkoku Monogatari - feisty young woman aspires to be the first female official of a fantasy Asian empire

Continuing
Nijuu Mensou no Musume - young heiress becomes involved with mysterious master thief

If you're open to shows with strong plots and younger girls, I'd recommend
Dennou Coil - kids living in a virtual reality discover dark secrets
Kure-nai - high-school boy tasked with protecting 7-yo heiress facing a dark future
Mahou Shoujo Tai Arusu - pre-teen witches rebel against oppressive authority (licensed)

Of these, only Nodame Cantabile is a comedy, but it becomes much more serious as the show progresses. Kure-nai, Saiunkoku Monogatari, Hataraki Man, and Dennou Coil also have some very funny sequences, but they're still fundamentally dramas.

Here's the link to the "introduce yourself" thread: http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=35

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2008-08-30 at 08:41.
Old 2008-08-31, 08:24   Link #12
Keirn

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 View Post
I don't quite see how these fit into strong plot or strong female characters.
I'd say Death Note and Code Geass both have a much stronger plot than many anime out there, especially compared to something like Naruto/Bleach.

Anyways, I'd recommend Darker Than Black. Seems to be what you're looking for. The art quality is quite amazing. Anything from BONES is usually quite good. The description of this anime doesn't sound very interesting, but I strongly recommend watching the first episode before deciding whether to watch it or not.

I also second Shingetsutan Tsukihime. I found it to be much better than Fate/Stay Night.

Tokyo Majin Gakuen Kenpuchou is also another very good anime. However, it is licensed .

I know what it feels like to be running out of "good" anime. I've seen over 100 anime, and I really think I'm running out of anime now haha.
Old 2008-08-31, 23:44   Link #13
GaleWings

Hey I recently just finished Seirei no moribito. I'm currently watching Eureka 7 now and im going to watch some more suggestions. What I concluded is that I really like animes that have deep emotions as well as what I mentioned in my first post...

Are there any animes that you think have strong emotions along with the criteria mentioned in the first post?

Any more suggestions are very welcomed!

EDIT: I apparently like sad things than happy things. What you suggest doesn't really have to have all the criteria...just ones that you think are awesome; ones that you think I will like as well.
Old 2008-09-01, 00:45   Link #14
Keirn

Quote:
Hey I recently just finished Seirei no moribito. I'm currently watching Eureka 7 now and im going to watch some more suggestions. What I concluded is that I really like animes that have deep emotions as well as what I mentioned in my first post...

Are there any animes that you think have strong emotions along with the criteria mentioned in the first post?

Any more suggestions are very welcomed!

EDIT: I apparently like sad things than happy things. What you suggest doesn't really have to have all the criteria...just ones that you think are awesome; ones that you think I will like as well.
Darker Than Black has all of those haha
Old 2008-09-01, 15:28   Link #15
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Get Kaiba, it's a 12 episode sci fi series, that I thought was very refreshing.
Old 2008-09-02, 08:21   Link #16
Purple Madness
Get Your Ass to Mars!!

Welcome to the NHK although thas might send you to a week-long depression...thats how "powerful" it is.
Saber Marionette J & its sequels are well-plotted but the animation might put you off (the anime's 10+ years old) at least compared to recent stuff.
Closed Thread