Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-05-19, 23:49   Link #1
suguru
京都 ikitai~

Sentimental Journey Coming 9/14/2004!

Media Blasters BANZAI!!! Looks like according to AnimeonDVD.com, we finally have a street date for Sentimental Journey, looks like all 12 episodes for $30 too I saw the first eight episodes VHS fansubbed years ago, but I don't think anyone ever did the last four so I've been waiting for a long time to see them. I think this is one of the best renai game-based anime I've ever seen, up there with To Heart--it tells 12 completely separate stories, one for each of the girls in the game. If you like renai based anime I can't imagine you wouldn't like it--here's a review and more info if you're curious:

# Sentimental Journey - 300 minutes - $29.95 - 09/14/2004

http://www.ex.org/3.5/20-anime_sentimental.html
http://www.tcp.com/doi/sg/sj-tv/index.html
Old 2004-05-20, 01:24   Link #2
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Without going so far as endorsing your comparison with To Heart, I will say I thought this was pretty good from what I saw, certainly above average. $30 for the whole series is definitely worthwhile.

The game referred to is Sentimental Graffiti, the game where all the girls are in love with you...
Old 2004-05-20, 02:28   Link #3
suguru
京都 ikitai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
Without going so far as endorsing your comparison with To Heart, I will say I thought this was pretty good from what I saw, certainly above average. $30 for the whole series is definitely worthwhile.

The game referred to is Sentimental Graffiti, the game where all the girls are in love with you...
And where the player moved twelve times growing up so they're all your childhood friends too--although moving 12 times you'd think it'd be hard to make much of an impression...

I liked the twelve self-contained stories for the girls and the fact the "player" character never shows up except in flashbacks--it's just an original way to tell the story compared to other renai-to-anime conversions.

To Heart on R1 has to be just a matter of time since it seems to have more of a following than Comic Party, SiPri, and Sentimental Journey and they all got picked up. In a year where Kodocha gets licensed, anything is possible, so hopefully To Heart will follow soon.
Old 2004-05-20, 03:09   Link #4
Greenish Growth

I'm very glad they finally announced a date for this because I will definitely be buying this. I haven't played the first Sentimental Graffiti game, but I have played the second and enjoyed it immensely. Five of the girls from Senti remain on my favorite anime characters of all time list (although I grew to like them from playing the SG2 game and not from watching the anime). Seeing them in the anime was just a bonus for me.

And like I've said before the backstory with the twelve girls are not really gone into very much in the anime so you don't get much context into what they are thinking and talking about. The anime sort of figures that you already know. The only way I got to learn what their stories with the boy were about (not having played the first game) was to read the Sentimental Graffiti Yakusoku translation over at GameFAQ:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/game/30851.html

If you really want to know what the relationships with the girls were about and the how the boy affected all of them without playing the games or going through Sentimental Graffiti Yakusoku then read that. They are all good stories in my opinion. All of them are a little bit sad because the boy (you in the game) eventually had to move away from all twelve of the girls.

If you plan on playing the first Sentimental Graffiti game sometime in the future though don't read it or I think you might be spoiled as to some parts of the first game.
Old 2004-05-21, 01:34   Link #5
Shouta
Infinite-Zero/Translator

The show doesn't show outright the affect of the Player character but it's hinted at throughout each episode if I recall. Anyway, I'll definitely be picking this up (even if I don't like Media Blasters). Probably the best Renai game to anime conversion out of all of them IMO. It's sweet, sappy, and doesn't insult the viewer like a lot of other ones.
Old 2004-05-22, 03:58   Link #6
Greenish Growth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shouta
The show doesn't show outright the affect of the Player character but it's hinted at throughout each episode if I recall.
Oh it's definitely hinted at and he's always hovering in the background, but you don't get much of an idea at all of what happened with the boy in most of the girls stories. Most of their stories just show a few scenes with the boy showing a few things they did together, but usually not much more than that. You don't get a progression from strangers to friends to ??? Emiru's had the most detailed backstory of all the girls and her relationship with the boy was explained quite well. I thought Akira had the second best developed backstory in the anime. I think Rurika's was third best and Kaho's fourth. The other eight girls backstories were reduced to only clips and snipets. I don't recall Asuka having any flashbacks at all. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

While it's true you can enjoy Sentimental Journey without knowing much about the details of the relationship between the girls and the boy - if you DO know what happened it adds a lot of meaning to what occurred in the anime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shouta
Anyway, I'll definitely be picking this up (even if I don't like Media Blasters). Probably the best Renai game to anime conversion out of all of them IMO.
I still like the Kakyuusei TV series, Elf Kakyuusei OVA, To Heart, Kanon, Doukyuusei, Tokimeki Memorial and Refrain Blue better, but of course that's just my taste.
Closed Thread