AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2009-06-29, 21:44   Link #2101
Marion
The Great Dine

Shannon is Kanon's faternal twin. Mystery solved!~

A second Kanon, huh? Hmm
Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-29, 21:45   Link #2102
Nih

But wouldn't a twin still be considered as a different person?
Nih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-29, 21:46   Link #2103
Christen
Endless Nine
*Artist

But if they had the same name, then it never violates the red right?
Christen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-29, 21:47   Link #2104
Nih

True, I suppose.
Old 2009-06-29, 21:52   Link #2105
Squirrellord

Send a message via MSN to Squirrellord
actually, it's a Siamese twin. That's why Kanon wears such a silly hat. He's also double jointed in the neck, and can swivel around so that the 2nd face faces the front.
Squirrellord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-29, 22:09   Link #2106
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrellord View Post
actually, it's a Siamese twin. That's why Kanon wears such a silly hat. He's also double jointed in the neck, and can swivel around so that the 2nd face faces the front.
lol whut |D That reminds me of Legend of Zelda, Oracle of Ages, with the turning head boss.

I'm a bit curious about motives. Specifically those of the adults that need money.

Krauss: According to the beginning of EP 2 Krauss has some failed projects, most of which he started and abandoned, that is costing him money. And it's stated Natsuhi is aware of these problems. In EP 1 he's accused of taking funds from the inheritance pool and harboring the hidden gold. But he states that he's been supported by a close friend. It's said that he wants to renovate the island and build a resort on it once Kinzo dies.

Hideyoshi and Eva: Has some kind of trouble repaying stockholders. It was explained during the EP 3 ??? tea party that Eva did something similar to various companies as others had did to her husband. It's basically that people were buying up his stock so much that he couldn't repay them and was on the verge of bankruptcy.

Rudolf: Some case in America. In the start of EP 2 there's a little dream sequence about it, but all it says is that he doesn't want to go to court because there's a good chance he'll lose. So he wants to settle. It has something to do with brandnames apparently, so maybe something concerning copyright laws? He mentions that the settlement is 10 million yen...or dollars. I think it would be dollars, since it's a case in America. Also, when Kyrie talks to everyone in private about the guest Beatrice she mentions that she wasn't aware of Rudolf's business troubles until they all talked to Krauss.

Rosa: She's having trouble paying off the people sponsoring her failing design and clothing company. It's not mentioned how much, but she's obviously trying to avoid it and real life in general by going on these weekend vacations.

Out of the mentioned cases, which one would have the highest probability of actually thinking about murder to obtain money?
Old 2009-06-29, 22:11   Link #2107
Tenerezza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maho Momo View Post
Battler is 18, not 16.
In other words then, my idea match up even more perfectly then to the year. Still bit curious if this could possible be the case. I guess time will tell
Tenerezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-29, 22:18   Link #2108
Nih

Well, I don't think Eva's money trouble are as serious as Rosa's, plus unlike Rosa, she doesn't seem to have as deep a buried hatred for the other siblings (she just doesn't care enough). That is to say, that if she had a motive for murder in episode 3, then it was probably related to the gold and as was suggested, the second twilight could be an accident or a desperation murder. But then who knows.

P.S. Hard to answer the question of who would be most likely to kill for money, but I'd say Rosa would come first with Krauss as close second.
Old 2009-06-29, 22:26   Link #2109
Mikachiru
test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion View Post
lol whut |D That reminds me of Legend of Zelda, Oracle of Ages, with the turning head boss.

I'm a bit curious about motives. Specifically those of the adults that need money.

Krauss: According to the beginning of EP 2 Krauss has some failed projects, most of which he started and abandoned, that is costing him money. And it's stated Natsuhi is aware of these problems. In EP 1 he's accused of taking funds from the inheritance pool and harboring the hidden gold. But he states that he's been supported by a close friend. It's said that he wants to renovate the island and build a resort on it once Kinzo dies.

Hideyoshi and Eva: Has some kind of trouble repaying stockholders. It was explained during the EP 3 ??? tea party that Eva did something similar to various companies as others had did to her husband. It's basically that people were buying up his stock so much that he couldn't repay them and was on the verge of bankruptcy.

Rudolf: Some case in America. In the start of EP 2 there's a little dream sequence about it, but all it says is that he doesn't want to go to court because there's a good chance he'll lose. So he wants to settle. It has something to do with brandnames apparently, so maybe something concerning copyright laws? He mentions that the settlement is 10 million yen...or dollars. I think it would be dollars, since it's a case in America. Also, when Kyrie talks to everyone in private about the guest Beatrice she mentions that she wasn't aware of Rudolf's business troubles until they all talked to Krauss.

Rosa: She's having trouble paying off the people sponsoring her failing design and clothing company. It's not mentioned how much, but she's obviously trying to avoid it and real life in general by going on these weekend vacations.

Out of the mentioned cases, which one would have the highest probability of actually thinking about murder to obtain money?

For me...

Most likely: Rosa (Why not? She can always use Maria as an excuse if she gets caught.)
Close second: Rudolf (Americans can be stingy ...For Ange, maybe?)
Third likely: Krauss (Doesn't he already have some gold? I don't know how much money he needs, though...)
Least likely: Hideyoshi/Eva. (Who needs money when you have anime George!? He can join a host club if it comes down to that!! I've got nothing...)
Old 2009-06-29, 22:28   Link #2110
Marion
The Great Dine

Well, here's my opinion

1st: Rudolf or Rosa: It's a tied situation between these two in my opinion. Rosa might be a little more likely, strictly because of how much hate she apparently harbors for her siblings. They seem to be the most in trouble at this point. Rudolf himself seems to have a lot of pride though and seems to work late hours too. He says he's going off to basically aim for the inheritance on the plane as well.

2nd: Eva and Hideyoshi: During EP 2 there was a discussion about a marriage meeting for a potential suitor, for George. It's implied that the woman would probably be someone that could financially help Hideyoshi with funding from her own family. If they're so desperate for money that they would try to get George a girl that could help out financially then maybe they do need money that much.

3rd: Krauss: I put Krauss at the lowest point because in the end he's the successor to Kinzo. When Kinzo is announced dead and distribution begins Krauss will get majority of the inheritance as the eldest son. He might just be holding off for Kinzo to die as soon as Nanjo says he should so he could get money.
Old 2009-06-29, 22:37   Link #2111
Nih

I think Eva would try to marry George into a wealthy family regardless of whether they were in money trouble (she'd certainly keel over before she'd let him marry Shannon). That's just to say that this part is not necessarily an indicator of how desperate they were since such marriages aren't that uncommon.
Old 2009-06-29, 22:38   Link #2112
Mikachiru
test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nih View Post
I think Eva would try to marry George into a wealthy family regardless of whether they were in money trouble (she'd certainly keel over before she'd let him marry Shannon). That's just to say that this part is not necessarily an indicator of how desperate they were since such marriages aren't that uncommon.
But as a parent, wouldn't Eva want George to be happy?
Old 2009-06-29, 22:40   Link #2113
Nih

She definetly would, but that doesn't mean that her idea of "happy" is the same as George's :P
Old 2009-06-29, 22:43   Link #2114
Mikachiru
test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nih View Post
She definetly would, but that doesn't mean that her idea of "happy" is the same as George's :P
What about Hideyoshi? He seemed pretty mellow about the marriage thing with Shannon...At least it seemed like that in EP. 1...
Old 2009-06-29, 22:44   Link #2115
Marion
The Great Dine

If she wanted George to be happy she would obviously let him be with Shannon. I'm almost sure she's aware on some level of a relationship, because of what she tells Shannon in EP 2 when George leaves. She wants what's best for him and she believes Shannon isn't what's best.

As far as Hideyoshi, he's obviously the opposite of Eva. You can see they scold each other time to time through the episodes.
Old 2009-06-29, 22:48   Link #2116
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion View Post
If I remember right from Episode 1, Hideyoshi's company is undergoing an acquisition maneuver because he didn't move fast enough to protect the stock after the public offering. Someone is buying up the stock and telling the stockholders that Hideyoshi is a bad manager that needs to be forced out. Hideyoshi needs to buy back 51% of the stock to ensure he retains control of the company, but the stockholders realized that there's an acquisition in progress, so they're gouging him on the buyback price. If he fails, he'll lose everything he's been building up for the last several decades.

My ranking is the same as Mikachiru's. Rosa definitely feels like the most likely to screw over the rest of her siblings, although I'm not convinced she'd go as far as murdering them. Between Episode 2 and 3 I got the impression that she can be extremely calculating and manipulative when she needs to be. She's also got access to Maria's notebook, so I wouldn't be shocked at all if she turns out to be one of the fake Beatrices.
LyricalAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-30, 00:38   Link #2117
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalAura View Post
If I remember right from Episode 1, Hideyoshi's company is undergoing an acquisition maneuver because he didn't move fast enough to protect the stock after the public offering. Someone is buying up the stock and telling the stockholders that Hideyoshi is a bad manager that needs to be forced out. Hideyoshi needs to buy back 51% of the stock to ensure he retains control of the company, but the stockholders realized that there's an acquisition in progress, so they're gouging him on the buyback price. If he fails, he'll lose everything he's been building up for the last several decades.
This is correct, and is basically what a hostile takeover is. Hideyoshi built his company, but he's a corporate officer and he can be fired by the shareholders, so someone is buying the shares to seize voting control and kick him out. He'd still own stock in his company, but he wouldn't be able to work at it anymore, and he seems to enjoy that more than the money he gets from his company. He also probably has a pretty good salary as a corporate officer.

As to everyone's motive:

Kinzo: Welp.

Krauss: Krauss benefits the most from the status quo. If Kinzo dies, his embezzling comes to light (if true) and his siblings will probably sue him. As long as Kinzo is "alive," he can continue directing the family finances as he desires without needing to pay the inheritance. I think Krauss's motive arises more out of being cornered. If they suspect he's been keeping Kinzo's death a secret, they'll go after him with everything they have. He'd be in serious trouble legally.

Natsuhi: Mostly the same motives as Krauss. She also seems very resentful of her husband's family and protective of Jessica. She might kill over either.

Eva: Jealousy, delusions of grandeur, Hideyoshi's company problems. Definitely wants both money and acceptance of her "superior" capabilities. Whether she'd kill for that, though...

Hideyoshi: I can't see him killing for money, but he's got the need for it.

Rudolf: Money problems. Could be involved in some kind of criminal activities. Is the only sibling with a living child not on Rokkenjima.

Kyrie: The Sumaderas are a noted enemy of the Ushiromiya family (although she claims to be estranged from them). Has a living child not on Rokkenjima. May be Battler's real mother.

Rosa: Seems a bit unhinged in general. Needs money. Has a strong inferiority complex. Might kill to protect Maria.

Jessica: Barring some information about her we don't know, probably doesn't have a very strong individual motive. After all, she's the next in line for the head after her father. Might be an accomplice in someone's plan.

George: It seems highly unlikely that George would kill anyone except to protect someone else (his family or Shannon).

Battler: Stated in red that he is incompetent. Wouldn't succeed even if he had a motive.

Maria: Is a creepy kid. But even if she has motive, she certainly seems to lack means. May be an accomplice (unwitting or otherwise).

Nanjo: Knows or suspects that Kinzo is dead. May be blackmailed or bribed. Could have motive to expose Kinzo's death out of friendship.

Genji: Is loyal to a dead man. Motives are completely unclear. There is no clear sign that anything drives Genji, which means his activities are completely unpredictable.

Shannon: Unclear. Suspected of possibly being "Beatrice" or the staker. May be trying to get George under false or real pretenses and might do anything to be with him.

Kanon: Is impulsive and angry. Hates Natsuhi and the Ushiromiya siblings.

Kumasawa: May know more than she's telling. May be one of the original "Beatrices." May have some long-held motive unknown at this time. May be blackmailed or bribed.

Gohda: Seems very unassuming, which is suspicious. Is particularly interested in getting close to Kinzo. Was hired by Krauss directly as opposed to the other servants. Could have been hired for reasons different from his stated backstory, but there's nothing to really support it.
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-30, 00:47   Link #2118
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Kanon: Is impulsive and angry. Hates Natsuhi and the Ushiromiya siblings.
I don't think he hates all the Ushiromiya siblings. Out of everyone he majorly hates Eva, Natsuhi and Gohda. He might have some dislike towards Krauss too, but it's never stated and he doesn't seem to hold a hostile attitude towards him in general. Everyone else though - he only sees the other members of the family during the conference, unless they come over to the island for a business loan like Eva and Hideyoshi did in EP 2. I don't think we can go too far to say he hates them all.
Old 2009-06-30, 00:50   Link #2119
Kitsu
The unlucky one

Marion, he hates the world, himself and almost everything since he has issues with himself. Maybe he doesn't hate Shannon...and maybe he doesn't hate Jessica aswell , unsure though. If someone says one wrong sentence he mgiht totally snap xD
Old 2009-06-30, 00:56   Link #2120
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

Kanon doesn't hate EVERYBODY. You can't really say that, he works with Gohda everyday and receives orders from Natsuhi all the time. Both of them mistreat Shannon, which is one of the reasons why he hates them so much. Same goes for Eva. The others don't really treat her that badly, and he doesn't really show any anger towards them. Especially Genji and Kumasawa.

momobunny is offline   Reply With Quote