AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-01-27, 08:52   Link #5741
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

If some people are going to claim Obama's policies are obviously dictated by Bill Ayers and Jeremiah Wright, then perhaps they should research the Project for a New American Century (even the freaking name of that should seem off-putting), and look at how many of Bush's staff signed agreement with that...megalomaniacal piece of work.
Old 2010-01-27, 10:04   Link #5742
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
In Vietnam we lost over 50,000 troops. Tens of thousands were severally injured. We've lost a tenth of that in Iraq and Afghanistan COMBINED. Both wars could be won if the Politicians didn't tie the hands of those fighting. Just ask the pilots doing bombing runs 30 years ago, and now. Or ask the troops on the ground just what kind of rules of engagement they have.
I'm not sure what you mean here. By "both wars", I'm guessing that you mean the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan? So was Vietnam was a victory for the U.S. even though the troops were pulled out leaving, IMHO, the South Vietnamese in a rather bad bind?

In both Afghanistan and Iraq, the separation between the fighters and the noncombatants isn't well defined. Times are different as well, and what may have been looked at with a blind eye then wouldn't be now.

Quote:
Obama lies in every single speech he gives. Just youtube "Obama lies" and see how many times he contradicts himself. Look at the people he surrounds himself with. Bill Ayers. His Church Pastor Jeremiah Wright. Secretary Timothy F. Geithner. Attorney General Eric H. Holder, Jr.. Secretary Janet A. Napolitano(ask Arizonians what they think about her). White House Chief of Staff Rahm I. Emanuel. Robert Gibbs(the guy makes Baghdad Bob look intelligent).
I myself wouldn't say Barack Obama lies, but I would say he... changes tack quickly on his actions. He also moves ahead on too many things at too close a time (climate, health care and financial reforms, and etc). Both, in problem times, are not good things. All in all, it's indecisive, and you need the exact opposite to calm fears and move forward.

As for his people, /shrugs. Not many leaders - regardless of his stripe - surround himself with outsiders. Cronies from the same political party/industry/etc. are the usual suspects. Putting people from industry instead of from the "Machine" or the "Ivory Tower" will not do much if you just get a bunch of sycophants with the same opinions.

Quote:
Umm hello. If you want the economy to recover, hire people who know WTF is going on. Do you know why Government Unemployment is only around 4%, when the private sector is well over 10%? Or why the average Federal Government employee makes over 70k a year, yet Private Sector averages just over 40k a year? This whole thing stinks and the American Government needs an enema.
From a couple of months ago's unemployment report, I believe that only 2 sectors were growing then: health care and government, and the government number can be thought of the temp employees hired for, say, census taking but for agencies like the TSA taking on more people.

I agree with you on the enema suggestion, though. Purge both parties and those who have been in office for more than, say, 5 years would be a good start.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
Old 2010-01-27, 13:38   Link #5743
mg1942

iPAD finally unveiled!
Old 2010-01-27, 14:05   Link #5744
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post
So it's an oversized Iphone that lacks the phone feature? I'm not exactly impressed. Of course it'll still sell well thanks to people who need to buy the latest fad product from apple.
Old 2010-01-27, 14:06   Link #5745
james0246

^Can someone post an image of what the iPad (what an awful name...padding is what young girls and hack writers use) actually looks like in the hands of a person (there is only 1 image in the provided link that shows what the iPad could look like in a person's hands, but Jobs knobby knees are in the way so I cannot see what he is holding properly).

edit: Okay, after a brief search, I found an actual image:

That's pretty big, far larger than I expected (I have not kept track of this project at all).

Last edited by james0246; 2010-01-27 at 14:17.
Old 2010-01-27, 14:19   Link #5746
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnieS View Post
I myself wouldn't say Barack Obama lies, but I would say he... changes tack quickly on his actions.
he is a politician, pure and simple. Why people think he is something other then another politician is beyond me.

Quote:
He also moves ahead on too many things at too close a time (climate, health care and financial reforms, and etc). Both, in problem times, are not good things. All in all, it's indecisive, and you need the exact opposite to calm fears and move forward.
if he did move on financial reform early he wouldn't be in this problem. he made the mistake of going after climate control and health care first. which is a huge mistake politically when the huge recession the country was going through.
Old 2010-01-27, 15:15   Link #5747
mg1942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
So it's an oversized Iphone that lacks the phone feature? I'm not exactly impressed. Of course it'll still sell well thanks to people who need to buy the latest fad product from apple.
It's more like an oversized iPOD touch and I'm impressed
Old 2010-01-27, 15:54   Link #5748
cors8
Kuu-chan is hungry

I'm not impressed with having to pay for the data plan.
Old 2010-01-27, 16:10   Link #5749
Haruka_Kitten
The AnimeSuki Pet kitten
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Haruka_Kitten Send a message via Yahoo to Haruka_Kitten
Strange, as press pack photos suggested it was more mac than iPhone. That just looks like nothing more than a really huge iPhone. I don't even think that one's real though; Apple would find a better way to make that dock, as their UI's aren't known to look ugly or have rough edges.

What it actually looks like is disputed. Maybe it looks like that, but there's a Youtube video circulating the internet that has it look like a slightly modified iMac screen with a touch interface, running Snow Leopard.

Here's another thing I like about Apple, they're going to make it ridiculously expensive, claiming the use of an air-vacuum seal between the glass and the actual screen (the 0% air space) and recyclable materials, I won't be surprised to see this go past AU$2k, way more than the EeeTop.
A small amount of damage can see an iMac being written off completely.

And the other annoying thing is: we're going to buy it anyway...
Old 2010-01-27, 16:15   Link #5750
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
What I'm wondering is how practical that thing is actually going to be. From the sound of it, it makes me think it's somewhere between an iPhone and a Mac computer. It's fun to have but I wonder if anyone would actually use it when they have either one of those, or even simply any computer for that matter. Plus, knowing how expensive they made the iPhone, I can already imagine how expensive this thing is going to be. It looks like Apple is trying to enter the niche market.
Old 2010-01-27, 16:17   Link #5751
Helius

What kills it for me with this iPad is that it doesn't even have a webcam. It baffles me Apple could leave out something so basic, esp. in this day and age when virtually every device of any make has got one.

Hell, even the iPod Nano has one!
Old 2010-01-27, 17:00   Link #5752
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helius View Post
What kills it for me with this iPad is that it doesn't even have a webcam. It baffles me Apple could leave out something so basic, esp. in this day and age when virtually every device of any make has got one.

Hell, even the iPod Nano has one!
Like hell I care! I still want one!

Just imagine gaming on this thing...bring on the new generation of RTS gaming

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2010-01-27, 17:10   Link #5753
Haruka_Kitten
The AnimeSuki Pet kitten
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Haruka_Kitten Send a message via Yahoo to Haruka_Kitten
Apple must bundle their products with some good Magic, coz it don't matter how much we have to part with, it's still expensive.
Old 2010-01-27, 17:24   Link #5754
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
After seeing that vid, it only looks to me like an extra-large iPhone. Nothing more.
Old 2010-01-27, 18:01   Link #5755
Helius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
Like hell I care! I still want one!
I don't. Well, I would like one, but I can do just fine without. Though I'm interested to see how this compares to the HP Slate. It'll be PC vs. Mac all over again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko Takeo View Post
After seeing that vid, it only looks to me like an extra-large iPhone. Nothing more.
Exactly my thought.
Old 2010-01-27, 19:19   Link #5756
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Did some of you see a tablet PC for the first time in their life now?
This was old technology already when I was working on presentation software for such devices for Microsoft 4 years ago. They used it on an IT fair.
Old 2010-01-27, 19:57   Link #5757
cors8
Kuu-chan is hungry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
Did some of you see a tablet PC for the first time in their life now?
This was old technology already when I was working on presentation software for such devices for Microsoft 4 years ago. They used it on an IT fair.
But it's Apple! The maker of all things cool!

Sarcasm aside, the more I read, the less I'm impressed. It really does seem to be a bigger IPhone. No flash support for web browsing, no multi-tasking for apps, no camera, no user-removable battery, etc.

There's really nothing innovative that I see to compel people to buy it other than the Apple brand.
Old 2010-01-27, 20:44   Link #5758
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

I would like to see a Android tablet as well...

Tablet computers are nothing new. I played with the tablet features in Windows Vista by plugging in a Wacom Bamboo Tablet and I wasn't that impressed... Not polished and it was clunky... No wonder Tablet PCs are a niche...

Also, I'm not so fond of Microsoft these days (If I can choose a OS, I rather choose a *nix based OS like Linux over Windows. Also, don't get me started with Windows Mobile since it's slow and clunky)... I rather have Android installed on the HP slate than Windows 7 since Android OS have less overhead and security problems compared to Windows and can run more efficiently. I see the iPad as a Kindle killer than a Netbook killer.
Old 2010-01-27, 20:50   Link #5759
Xion Valkyrie

Huh, I'd thought the Apple Tablet would be more like net-book sized.
Old 2010-01-27, 21:20   Link #5760
Haruka_Kitten
The AnimeSuki Pet kitten
*IT Support

I thought Apple'd go into an increasingly popular market with a normal Netbook

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international