AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2013-06-13, 19:30   Link #101
cyth
Banned

I think the abolishment of the rep system was a positive thing. I noticed that I'm more blunt when posting and replying than I was before. The lack of green cookies had no effect on me whatsoever, but the disappearance of chili cookies certainly did. Whatever the issues, I realized I had them, and I hope the mods see value in a more honest discussion.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-14, 03:17   Link #102
Traece
:cool:

I feel like I never particularly cared for or about the reputation system but there is one thing that's been bothering me as of late.

When I see a post I really like, in the past I would give my regards to that user via the reputation system in some way like:

"Hey. This was the best post I read all day. Love, Traece. P.S.: XOXOXO I<3You"

Simple, and effective. I don't have to make an off-topic post, I don't have to send them a PM, I don't have to post to their public message board. It's not invasive to them or other users.

So the issue that I have now is: How do I profess my love for people and their posts without freaking them out or wasting their time? Honestly the most I feel I can do is try and scramble together an on-topic post specifically so I can tack on: "I agree. This post is good, OK? It's not like I think you're smart or anything. Hmph."

If anything the strange thing I've realized now that the reputation system is gone is that I never had a problem with letting people know how much I hate their posts, but I have a really hard time telling people when they've posted something I really like.
Old 2013-06-14, 07:15   Link #103
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
I think the abolishment of the rep system was a positive thing. I noticed that I'm more blunt when posting and replying than I was before. The lack of green cookies had no effect on me whatsoever, but the disappearance of chili cookies certainly did. Whatever the issues, I realized I had them, and I hope the mods see value in a more honest discussion.
I agree. The chilli chops certainly are counterproductive, and more blunt and honest posting makes this place more normal like the rest of the net :

If one can't take a statement from a post, he/she should get off the net and back into real life. The internet is a place for direct and honest discussions, not feelies.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-14, 07:19   Link #104
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
I think the abolishment of the rep system was a positive thing. I noticed that I'm more blunt when posting and replying than I was before.
I'm open now in attacking my hated genres...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-14, 09:40   Link #105
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
If one can't take a statement from a post, he/she should get off the net and back into real life. The internet is a place for direct and honest discussions, not feelies.
There's still stuff than shouldn't be said around her or elsewhere, otherwise we wouldn't moderators around .
Old 2013-06-14, 14:57   Link #106
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
There's still stuff than shouldn't be said around her or elsewhere, otherwise we wouldn't moderators around .
Well, yeah. You shouldn't be afraid to offer your honest criticisms/feedback for fear of rep point reprisal from fanboys. But, you still shouldn't launch into personal attacks or trolling/flamebait, because then you'll get reprisal from the mods.
Old 2013-06-15, 04:13   Link #107
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Seems like the placebo effect is quite strong.

Well, I'm glad the removal of red squares has allowed people to become extremely blunt internet badasses. Of course, I am utterly unimpressed nor do I think bluntness is a requirement for legitimate discussions-- if anything I feel that if that is what stopped one from posting offensive things then I really don't have much respect for you in the first place and honestly I wouldn't recommend posting bluntly anyways because you would get offended by blunt responses eventually and ultimately you would care more for that then actual quality of discussion instead of putting on false pretenses in fear of "reprisal" -- but whatever floats one's boat.

In the end, I guess removal of standard rep was a good idea.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-15, 09:31   Link #108
cyth
Banned

Well, there's a bit of philosophy behind this. I mean, I utterly despise discussions on certain reddit boards where you have to wrap your replies in bubbles and put some dampeners on them as to soften the impact your potentially clashy opinion might make to the point that every post made there reads like it's been written by the same person. To put it in simpler terms, the discussion there lacks character and it makes for an extremely boring experience. The rest that don't conform to the board's standards of conduct get downvoted, and the ire or ego that accumulates from the rep system drives the discussion, whereas on AnimeSuki I'd like to see the discussion being driven by interesting opinions and interesting posters. This is what will ultimately keep my attention fixated on this forum, because honestly there isn't one like it.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-15, 14:02   Link #109
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

On Reddit, you get downvoted and your post gets hidden. This is a case where the mobs can have a negative impact on discussion.

On the other hand, I don't think too much has changed here aside from the image requests issue which can be dealt with. But there have always been the a large amount of interesting posters with interesting opinions. Like myself. Regardless of those red pins said!

As for the image issue, I would suggest a new graphics designer title that can only be earned with successful requests. Nobody can get butthurt over such a thing, though I suppose it's always possible to be butthurt over anything.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2013-06-15, 14:50   Link #110
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
But there have always been the a large amount of interesting posters with interesting opinions. Like myself. Regardless of those red pins said!
And so humble too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
As for the image issue, I would suggest a new graphics designer title that can only be earned with successful requests. Nobody can get butthurt over such a thing, though I suppose it's always possible to be butthurt over anything.
Well, rather than butthurt, I am wondering about how to implement such a thing. You'd have to have some way to "submit evidence" of successful task completion, and someone would have to review it and assign the ranks manually. (And I'm sure there would be some stress caused when someone gets a rank when someone else feels they don't deserve it.) On the one hand it seems like a simple solution, but on the other, it's a bit of a PITA too...
Old 2013-06-15, 18:19   Link #111
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
And so humble too!
Well that varies, I admit.

Quote:
Well, rather than butthurt, I am wondering about how to implement such a thing. You'd have to have some way to "submit evidence" of successful task completion, and someone would have to review it and assign the ranks manually. (And I'm sure there would be some stress caused when someone gets a rank when someone else feels they don't deserve it.) On the one hand it seems like a simple solution, but on the other, it's a bit of a PITA too...
Mm, any thing that involves a quantitative difference tends to get on people's nerves if they perceive to be wronged by the system, as shown by something as trivial as the rep system. If something could be taken to "measure" one's contributions it could always be a bit problematic.

In any case, manual verification would be too much of a pain. If I'd imagine something, it would be involved someone to press a thanks button restricted to image request threads. Of course, this might be something cumbersome to put together to make sure the right people give the credit to the right person. I guess that's worth a new topic entirely.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2013-06-15, 18:26   Link #112
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
I feel like I never particularly cared for or about the reputation system but there is one thing that's been bothering me as of late.

When I see a post I really like, in the past I would give my regards to that user via the reputation system in some way like:

Simple, and effective. I don't have to make an off-topic post, I don't have to send them a PM, I don't have to post to their public message board. It's not invasive to them or other users.

So the issue that I have now is: How do I profess my love for people and their posts without freaking them out or wasting their time? Honestly the most I feel I can do is try and scramble together an on-topic post specifically so I can tack on: "I agree. This post is good, OK? It's not like I think you're smart or anything. Hmph."

If anything the strange thing I've realized now that the reputation system is gone is that I never had a problem with letting people know how much I hate their posts, but I have a really hard time telling people when they've posted something I really like.
You never professed your love to me while the Reputation system was around, so I won't help you

hmph

In all seriousness, I do know what you mean As an intermittently shy person, I did appreciate the ability to show kudos to posts anonymously without putting myself out there. Ah well.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-20, 05:21   Link #113
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post

I'll usually go to their profile page and post a visitor message complimenting, but it takes more work, as in supplying a link back to the post so they have the slightest idea what I'm complimenting. More time consuming, yes (especially if you head to their profile before saving the post link location, then its back and forth time).