AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-05-06, 09:38   Link #501
Michsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
And to think it was him who supervised a lot of the production in GT. What great irony.

That's debatable. I heard he only did some designs for the story ( SSJ 4 perhaps ?) but nothing else. Plot-wise, as far as I know, he had no contribution whatsoever or very little at the most.

I said that because the upcomming online game DBO in which Akira Toriyama has spent the last 5 years working on and supervising could be actually considered the true continuiation of DBZ and it has some things that might contradict events that happen in GT.

Last edited by Michsi; 2009-05-06 at 09:50.
Michsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-06, 11:04   Link #502
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michsi View Post
I said that because the upcomming online game DBO in which Akira Toriyama has spent the last 5 years working on and supervising could be actually considered the true continuiation of DBZ and it has some things that might contradict events that happen in GT.
Have you seen the Dragon Ball special that was released last year, where it took place 2 years after the original DBZ? I think it was a way to make us forget GT Why? Because that special alone is already contradictory

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-06, 11:54   Link #503
Michsi

Quote:
Have you seen the Dragon Ball special that was released last year, where it took place 2 years after the original DBZ? I think it was a way to make us forget GT Why? Because that special alone is already contradictory

- Tak
Hehe yes I've seen it but I wasn't too impressed. It really does seem that Akira Toriyama kas kicked off the action packed stories for good since that OVA was pure sensless crack. But still better than GT. (in my oppinion anyway)
Michsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-06, 12:31   Link #504
Waking_Dreamer
Dreamer King

Why do they spend OVAs fighting some evil/bad being that wants destruction or galaxy conquest. Why dont they just have a tournament to the finish where the Z warriors face off each other... I mean the stories the build up for a movie is usually trivial anyway.

How cool would it have been if they had SS3 Goku take on Mystic Gohan in the final match...say whaat!?
Waking_Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-06, 13:04   Link #505
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waking_Dreamer View Post
Why do they spend OVAs fighting some evil/bad being that wants destruction or galaxy conquest.
Quite frankly, I never liked the movies, because they don't ever make much sense, nor were they described in the manga. On the other hand, the new 2008 at least had good humor, and I like funnies

Still, anything, even GT, is better than that shitty movie released this year.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-05-06, 15:07   Link #506
Kazu-kun

Quote:
You know, I never quite understood the censorship when DB was ported to the US. I remember a friend asking me if I knew anything more about King Kai, and I was like "who the hell is that", then I realized that he was actually talking about Kaioshin.
You're mixing things here. King Kai is not Kaiōshin. King Kai is Kaiō-sama, and the translation is correct, as "ō" means "king".

A translation of Kaiōshin, on the other hand, would be something like "Divine King Kai" or "Holy King Kai".

But they're all kings, enven Enma, whose full name is "Enma Daiō", which means "Great King Enma".
Old 2009-05-06, 15:26   Link #507
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
You're mixing things here. King Kai is not Kaiōshin. King Kai is Kaiō-sama, and the translation is correct, as "ō" means "king".
Yes, I mixed it up indeed, memory is a little fuzzy after many years.

However, my original point was that none of the English translation is correct. What the English translation does not say, is that Kaio means lord (or king) of the world (although in reality he is actually a lord of a star system). The English version simply calls him King Kai as if Kai was a name, which is not exactly the same thing.

Quote:
A translation of Kaiōshin, on the other hand, would be something like "Divine King Kai" or "Holy King Kai".
Kaioshin's literal translation would be god of the worlds & their worldly kings, and different from Holy King whatever (there was never holy in the title). The translation is off. Although its obvious that the English version would not use their correct title fearing it would conflict with certain religious groups.

Quote:
But they're all kings, enven Enma, whose full name is "Enma Daiō", which means "Great King Enma".
Enma pretty much means hell & demon, thus making Enma the King of Hell & Demons, or lord, if you prefer. The official translations used all of their titles as if they were some kind of a name while disregarding the meanings behind them.

And its half-assed translations like these that really damages the mythology behind Dragon Ball.

- Tak

Last edited by Tak; 2009-05-06 at 15:40.
Old 2009-05-11, 20:54   Link #508
Tak

The latest episode just reminds me how wonderfully humorlessly lame, to the point of utter hilarity our beloved Kaio is...

Oh dear, mixed feelings all around...

- Tak (my latest hobby... driving...)

Old 2009-05-11, 23:22   Link #509
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Quite frankly, I never liked the movies, because they don't ever make much sense, nor were they described in the manga. On the other hand, the new 2008 at least had good humor, and I like funnies
There were a few that were actually good and expanded on the DB universe. Like that of Goku's father (Bardock was his name?)
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-11, 23:26   Link #510
Alchemist007
*Author

Oh god the corny ass jokes in ep 6. I mean even I understood them, that's how simple they were!
Old 2009-05-12, 00:03   Link #511
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
There were a few that were actually good and expanded on the DB universe. Like that of Goku's father (Bardock was his name?)
Well, that was technically not a movie, but a special and a prequel. Prequels I can accept, because it does not mess with the primary plot. The movies were just annoying and served no purpose. Nonetheless, the introduction of Bardock was a nice touch. The history of Trunks too, was pretty good. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same about GT and its associated spin-offs.

However, to give the movies some credit, I did like movie eight, where they introduced Brolly, a character popular enough to be a stable of many Dragon Ball video games and probably the only character most memorable from the movies.

- Tak

Old 2009-05-12, 08:57   Link #512
justavisitor

Actually I quite enjoy those movies lol, those ones when goku fights the bad guys with super saiyan forms

it's pretty cool when I see him fight freeza's brother (twice), andorid 15??, or goku goes all way from heaven to punch the bad guy in earth in order to save his son....those four are probably my favourite DBZ movies...and of course, it's pretty weird to see side character like Vegeta who goes down so fast in every movie XD, which is unimaginable in TV series, but ppl will get used to it
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-12, 10:40   Link #513
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
it's pretty weird to see side character like Vegeta who goes down so fast in every movie XD, which is unimaginable in TV series, but ppl will get used to it
Unfortunately, after 20 years, I still can't...

- Tak

Old 2009-05-12, 15:32   Link #514
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Ep 6 and still loving this remake so far. What's better is the amount of crap that has been cut and it still feels normal (iirc Goku falls off the snake bridge and faced some snake mosnter in the original anime which wasted a few eps...boring stuff too). There's nothing like sweet nostalgia kicking in though

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-12, 15:40   Link #515
Waking_Dreamer
Dreamer King

Quote:
Unfortunately, after 20 years, I still can't...

- Tak
The reason I watch the movies is that it had more of a chance to have less filler material and more straight action compared to the anime.

Best non-ssj movie:
Tree of Might

Best ssj1 movie:
Super Android 13 and The Return of Cooler

Best ssj+ movie:
Wrath of the Dragon (heck this one even had a good story)
Old 2009-05-12, 17:29   Link #516
Crimrui
Hollow

Send a message via Yahoo to Crimrui
Quote:

Best non-ssj movie:
Tree of Might

Best ssj1 movie:

Best ssj+ movie:
Agree, especially on Tree of Might that showed a nice Z-Fighters battle which DBZ manga/anime could have used as well. We rarely saw Tien, Yamcha or Chiaotzu fight except in Sayan Saga (not counting DB), which didn't gave any significant spotlight in the first place. Ok there was some but never on the level that Bleach anime,for example gives to minor characters. And yeah, Wrath of the Dragon was interesting for it's story, even though some didn't believe it even when they watched it
Old 2009-05-13, 21:46   Link #517
Judge Bao
Environmental Engineer

Quote:
The reason I watch the movies is that it had more of a chance to have less filler material and more straight action compared to the anime.

Best non-ssj movie:
Tree of Might

Best ssj1 movie:

Best ssj+ movie:
For ssj1 movie, I prefer Broly's 1st movie since he crushed everyone by himself, fun to watch.
Judge Bao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-13, 23:31   Link #518
Waking_Dreamer
Dreamer King

^ I thought at first that the Broly movie would be good to watch too...but the complete pwnage didnt really do it for me.

I know its probably to emphasize Broly's power but there was no really hierarchy of fighter levels except for Brolly>>>>>>>everything and everyone else. It didnt matter if that was a super sayain or krillin....no difference in the presence of Brolly.

Super Android 13 movie allowed the fighters to flex their muscles at various levels while still having a decent amount of super sayains eating dust (or should I say ice). Super Android 13 dribbling ssj Goku on the ice like a basketball is still one of my most memorable pwnage scenes.
Old 2009-05-13, 23:36   Link #519
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Why couldn't Pan go SSJ? (when kid vegeta and goku jr. were able to)
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-13, 23:45   Link #520
Waking_Dreamer
Dreamer King

^ Because the SSJ transformation was never deigned with women/girls in mind.