Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-02-05, 18:19   Link #781
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassingby View Post
Vol 8 is slated for March, and Sasamoto is planning to release vol 9 in June. [Link]
And if the scene where there is a person putting a seal on a paper in the preview is what I think it is, coupled with the Superluminal Drive scene, I think we're still in vol 1
I started a light novel thread in the Manga & Light Novels section, so I could use some of your input on it.
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-05, 18:40   Link #782
Random Wanderer

Most of the stuff worth saying has already been said, so I'll just comment on a random thing that stood out to me: Kane's cabin on the Odette had artificial gravity. Odd, given how the rest of the ship apparently didn't.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-05, 19:38   Link #783
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Looking at the ship, it looks like it has a rotating section where one would have at least limited gravity.

I'm thinking the earlier slow section that dealt almost entirely with the ship's masts was there so you (and Marika) about how this ship could have been a Privateer some 100 to 200 years ago. Did they add beam cannons and then take them off, or does she have something else up her sleeve? Having a solar based weapon would be a very sneaky thing for a Privateer to have early on in the war. But that would only work in a solar system and might vary in power depending on how much solar energy you could focus onto any one point. Also the ship has very good EW equipment even for her age. She also has a lot of power to back it up since they stated it has the power of a battleship in the EW department.
Old 2012-02-05, 19:39   Link #784
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Probably it was much better armed, then disarmed when sold to a civilian organization.

I do realize we won't be faffing around as much if this novel was translated... But alas!!

I'm summon you, TEH_PING!!
Old 2012-02-05, 20:18   Link #785
sa547
*Author

My mind went over analyzing part of the skirmish as I ate my breakfast.

The focused sunbeam (has anyone watched Diamonds Are Forever or Goldeneye? This episode reminds me of both) didn't just took out the ability of Lightning 11's to use its optic targeting system, but I also believe that this excess amount of sunlight can also overload its thermal/infrared sensors, blinding the enemy crew for a period of time (just like throwing out a truckful of thermal flares to evade and confuse IR-guided missiles, or popping a flash bang), just enough for Odette's backups to arrive.
Old 2012-02-05, 20:29   Link #786
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Does make you wonder where West Kilia is, the place Lightning Eleven is registered.
Old 2012-02-05, 20:37   Link #787
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post

The focused sunbeam (has anyone watched Diamonds Are Forever or Goldeneye? This episode reminds me of both) didn't just took out the ability of Lightning 11's to use its optic targeting system, but I also believe that this excess amount of sunlight can also overload its thermal/infrared sensors, blinding the enemy crew for a period of time (just like throwing out a truckful of thermal flares to evade and confuse IR-guided missiles, or popping a flash bang), just enough for Odette's backups to arrive.
Like frying ants with a huge space magnifying lens.
djmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-05, 20:38   Link #788
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post

Actually if you read into what the crew mentions after Marika does it, they mention that the infrared signal of Lightning 11 is increasing and Marika then says that they don't need to burn them up. Basically the focused sunlight was actually starting to overheat and burn their ship.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-05, 21:04   Link #789
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

So next time we should be ready for some piracy.
Old 2012-02-05, 21:09   Link #790
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
Actually if you read into what the crew mentions after Marika does it, they mention that the infrared signal of Lightning 11 is increasing and Marika then says that they don't need to burn them up. Basically the focused sunlight was actually starting to overheat and burn their ship.
In short, they turned their solar sails into a solar-powered laser. If it was enough to noticeably increase the infrared signature of the entire ship within a few seconds, they probably could have incinerated the crew within a minute or two of continuous firing. A fairly powerful (if somewhat slow) weapon. A ship with a working computer and targeting system could have fired back and taken out their sails (or just taken them out), but... well... Lightning was aiming by eye.

Speaking of which, their gunner's eyes are probably in a lot of pain by now. Assuming they weren't burned to ash in their sockets...
Old 2012-02-05, 22:13   Link #791
00Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
In short, they turned their solar sails into a solar-powered laser. If it was enough to noticeably increase the infrared signature of the entire ship within a few seconds, they probably could have incinerated the crew within a minute or two of continuous firing. A fairly powerful (if somewhat slow) weapon. A ship with a working computer and targeting system could have fired back and taken out their sails (or just taken them out), but... well... Lightning was aiming by eye.

Speaking of which, their gunner's eyes are probably in a lot of pain by now. Assuming they weren't burned to ash in their sockets...
So the next time we see a scurvy looking space pirate with a patch over one eye, we'll know what the cause was.

It is time for some rampant math and number speculation!

Lets say their solar system has a star similar to our own, and lets assume the confrontation took place at a distance from that star that's roughly between the orbital distance of Earth and Venus (~ 0.8 AU ~120 million km).

Solar radiation would be around 2,000 W/m^2

I'm gonna straight up guess the area of the solar sails at 18,000 m^2 (call it a radius of 100 m, with 60% of that area being reflective)

So that puts Marika's death ray in the 36 MegaWatt range, or for a target ship 30 meters wide, it'd be the equivalent of moving that ship to within 0.16 AU of the sun (or 24 million km, way inside the orbit of Mercury.)

I'll pass on calculating how much the hull temperature of the Lightning II is being raised per second, and just say they are getting a really deep tan, probably not enough to do critical damage, but they were seriously flashed by a bunch of girls wearing miniskirts.
00Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-05, 22:17   Link #792
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Someone on ANN pointed out this trailer which has a lot of material that we still haven't seen yet, nice to see that the show is being worked on so far in advance, I'd hate for the quality to take a drop now.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-05, 22:18   Link #793
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quite an eyeful, wasn't it?
Old 2012-02-05, 22:19   Link #794
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
Someone on ANN pointed out this trailer which has a lot of material that we still haven't seen yet, nice to see that the show is being worked on so far in advance, I'd hate for the quality to take a drop now.
Production on the show is actualy finished ,all episodes are done
Old 2012-02-05, 22:24   Link #795
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Ahhhh, very nice! (you're just answering all my questions today it feels like XD )
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-05, 22:28   Link #796
00Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Production on the show is actualy finished ,all episodes are done
What MADNESS is this? Everyone knows you're supposed to finish and deliver the episode scant minutes before it airs. It's gotta be fresh, right out of the oven!
00Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-05, 22:32   Link #797
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Coyote View Post
What MADNESS is this? Everyone knows you're supposed to finish and deliver the episode scant minutes before it airs. It's gotta be fresh, right out of the oven!
The madness of a carefully crafted and planned out release- just like the initial 5 episode prologue.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-05, 22:38   Link #798
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Coyote View Post
Uhuh... So nobody learned from the mistakes committed by Gen Urobuchi and SHAFT team on PMMM? Being fresh, right out of the oven is suffering.

I'm glad they planned this one perfectly.
djmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-05, 22:49   Link #799
cerrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaca View Post
Uhuh... So nobody learned from the mistakes committed by Gen Urobuchi and SHAFT team on PMMM? Being fresh, right out of the oven is suffering.

I'm glad they planned this one perfectly.

SHAFT is the worst abuser of last minute production. I've completely avoided all SHAFT productions after the stunt they pulled with Bakemonogatari.
cerrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-05, 23:00   Link #800
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerrian View Post
SHAFT is the worst abuser of last minute production. I've completely avoided all SHAFT productions after the stunt they pulled with Bakemonogatari.
Well, the final result is almost always quite pretty, but the intermediate stages (which are the ones that get aired) can range from "pretty" to "meh" to "the studio didn't get the footage back to us in time, so we'll just play the episode's audio tracks over some completely unrelated and nonsensical video." (I'm looking at you, Tsukuyomi: Moon Phase!) SHAFT almost always does major touch-up jobs on their DVD releases, generally fixing the above-mentioned problems along with some others, to the point that the DVD version of a series can give an entirely different impression than the version that was aired. (I'm still looking at you, Tsukuyomi! )

In other news, I'm shocked and disappointed that no one has posted swarms of avatars made from the episodes for this series (at least not that I've seen), so I looked up some free avatar creation websites and made one of my own.

Tags
light novel adaptation, science fiction, seinen, yuri