AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-11-08, 03:35   Link #1041
Anime Online

Episode 5 talked about spirit hunters being alone, so Episode 6 picked up on spirit hunters bonding together while doing the idol gig. It is also an opportunity for Mirai, the one who kept away from everyone in the past, to stick with others.

In some way, Episode 6 is like a beach episode. The main characters having fun together while doing nothing really of import.
Anime Online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-08, 03:57   Link #1042
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Episode 6

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-08, 12:05   Link #1043
novalysis

This episode has been one of the most self-consciously pandering episode Kyo-ani must have produced, ever. It was entertaining for the first fifteen minutes, but then the Pandering tripped over some buffer I have towards this stuff, and left me disgusted.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-08, 14:15   Link #1044
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

I was just stunned at what I've just seen. I had a WTF face on all throughout that episode.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-08, 18:34   Link #1045
Reincarnated
World Inverse Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
Episode 7-10 staff/spoilers:

Episode 7 "Color of Clouds"
Script: Jukki Hanada
Director/Storyboards: Noriyuki Kitanohara
Animation Director: Shouko Ikeda
Spoiler:

Episode 8 "Golden Lull":
Director/Storyboards: Rika Ota
Animation Director: Yukiko Horiguchi
Spoiler:

Episode 9 "Silver Bamboo":
Director/Storyboards: Eisaku Kawanami
Animation Director: Kayo Hikiyama
Spoiler:

Episode 10 "White World":
Director/Storyboards: Yasuhiro Takemoto
Animation Director: Chiyoko Ueno
Spoiler:
Whoa! Next week episode seems to be really fun , I guess. Just hope the serious tone will come back by then especially ep 9-10, totally wait for those.
Reincarnated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-08, 19:54   Link #1046
rulfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
Leaving aside choreography and animation techniques, all of those shows had a lot of "heart" and thus was pleasing to look/listen to. Kyoukai's ep on the other hand, just made me laugh at how absurd it is rather than how good it was
Then it's mission accomplished!

But yeah, even with CG I still enjoyed it. All thanks to the build up making the performances succeed in what it wants to deliver.

Regarding the summary

Spoiler:
Old 2013-11-08, 21:34   Link #1047
DaEliminator

I was amused nobody though to use the cages to protect themselves from the juices
DaEliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-08, 21:48   Link #1048
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Kyyoukai no Kanata should have been reimagined as Scooby Doo: The Anime (it helps that Mirai looks a bit like Velma )

In fact...

Hiroomi Nase = Fred Jones (as a siscon)

Mitsuki Nase = Daphne Blake (but now Fred's sister)

Mirai Kuriyama = Velma Dinkley

Akihito Kanbara = Shaggy

Ai Shindō = Scooby Doo! (but can change into a cute loli )

Make it about their goofball misadventures fighting scary monsters for cash. Make it primarily a comedy due to how ridiculously sloppy they are at what they do. Then I would have liked Episode 6, and this would have been a fun show.
Old 2013-11-09, 06:19   Link #1049
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Kyyoukai no Kanata should have been reimagined as Scooby Doo: The Anime (it helps that Mirai looks a bit like Velma )

In fact...

Hiroomi Nase = Fred Jones (as a siscon)

Mitsuki Nase = Daphne Blake (but now Fred's sister)

Mirai Kuriyama = Velma Dinkley

Akihito Kanbara = Shaggy

Ai Shindō = Scooby Doo! (but can change into a cute loli )

Make it about their goofball misadventures fighting scary monsters for cash. Make it primarily a comedy due to how ridiculously sloppy they are at what they do. Then I would have liked Episode 6, and this would have been a fun show.
I would love to see that .

Still, to be fair, I think some people don't realize that eps 6 is a joke/gag episode where the characters become dumber than usual and do some silly things. It was supposed to be like that. Even an Urobuchi-collaborated-srsbsns anime like Gargantia has its own gag episode to chill things up from all the conflicts and angst. This kind of episode was pretty common in anime series in the past. Nowadays, studios mostly dump it to OVAs.

That said, the following comment by Pocari...:
Quote:
Kyoukai's ep on the other hand, just made me laugh at how absurd it is rather than how good it was
...is quite funny since what he's complaining is actually the goal of the episode .
Old 2013-11-09, 06:33   Link #1050
liro
Super Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaEliminator View Post
I was amused nobody though to use the cages to protect themselves from the juices
I haven't thought about it until now. It was strong enough to cage youkai Akihito. They could easily won the fight.
Old 2013-11-09, 07:26   Link #1051
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by liro View Post
I haven't thought about it until now. It was strong enough to cage youkai Akihito. They could easily won the fight.
Well, like I said :
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Still, to be fair, I think some people don't realize that eps 6 is a joke/gag episode where the characters become dumber than usual and do some silly things. It was supposed to be like that.
Old 2013-11-09, 08:55   Link #1052
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
I would love to see that .

Still, to be fair, I think some people don't realize that eps 6 is a joke/gag episode where the characters become dumber than usual and do some silly things.
I think most people critical of this episode, including myself, realize its a joke/gag episode. But just because something is a joke/gag episode doesn't mean that it's necessarily good, or that viewers should be expected to roll with absolutely anything. You can have a bad joke/gag episode just like you can have a bad episode of any other type.

You raised Gargantia's gag episode. That episode managed to be relaxing, and a bit funny, without making the characters look ridiculously stupid compared to how they normal are. In fact, that episode even contained good character development for Ledo. Good writers can have a joke/gag episode without hurting characterization, and in fact some can even use the episode to help characterization.

And plenty of anime manage just fine without this sort of episode. Madoka Magica and Fate/Zero for two examples. So it's not like this type of episode is necessary to begin with.

Quote:
This kind of episode was pretty common in anime series in the past. Nowadays, studios mostly dump it to OVAs.
Which is a better place for it, given how polarizing these episodes often are (Hanasaku Iroha Episode 3, and a two-part beach retreat in Muv-Luv, being two other examples of this from recent years). Some of us don't need or want these sorts of episodes, and tend to react poorly to them, because we feel that a full episode of this sort of content is a bit much in certain types of shows.

Quote:
Well, like I said
Not everybody is going to be comfortable turning off their brain just because it's a joke/gag episode. Not everybody finds that easy to do. I myself don't. To the extent I can do it at all, it's due to how a show presents itself in general. If I find certain character actions (in an otherwise serious show) to be very stupid, then it's not likely that I'm going to also find it funny. I'll probably be facepalming, not laughing.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2013-11-09 at 09:06.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-09, 09:07   Link #1053
Pocari_Sweat
Monarch of Rughzenhaide

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Which would be a better place for it, given how polarizing these episodes often are (Hanasaku Iroha Episode 3, and a two-part beach retreat in Muv-Luv, being two other examples of this from recent years). Some of us don't need or want these sorts of episodes, and tend to react poorly to them, because we feel that a full episode of this is a bit much in certain types of shows.
Funny you mention those two examples, because those really annoyed me (particularly the former, which I will remember pretty till the day I stop being an anime fan) because of it's out of place context and they were both good shows (once again, more so the former).

-----

The only reason why I gave this silly KnK episode a pass is because... well the entire series has been incredibly lacklustre so it's more a default mechanism. In the end it really shows how mediocre the series has been, and it's quite sad that I consider this the best episode so far. If it was an actually legitimately good series, then I'm 95% sure that I'll be pissed off.

Also, this is coming from a studio that is incredibly commercialized, excessively and constantly panders and combined with the fact that the series hasn't been very good. I saw it coming. Expectations are everything in this case.
Old 2013-11-09, 09:20   Link #1054
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
I think most people critical of this episode, including myself, realize its a joke/gag episode.
From reading some comments, it's pretty obvious to me that some people complaining here obviously don't get the idea of this being a gag episode nor know the nature of a gag episode.

Quote:
But just because something is a joke/gag episode doesn't mean that it's necessarily good, or that viewers should be expected to roll with absolutely anything. You can have a bad joke/gag episode just like you can have a bad episode of any other type.

And plenty of anime manage just fine without this sort of episode. Madoka Magica and Fate/Zero for two examples. So it's not like this type of episode is necessary to begin with.

Which is a better place for it, given how polarizing these episodes often are (Hanasaku Iroha Episode 3, and a two-part beach retreat in Muv-Luv, being two other examples of this from recent years). Some of us don't need or want these sorts of episodes, and tend to react poorly to them, because we feel that a full episode of this sort of content is a bit much in certain types of shows.
I didn't say gag episode is a necessity in every series. It's just an artistic choice by the series makers that can be polarizing. It's just, some people seem to criticize this Kyokai's ep for being what it is (look at Pocari's comment that I quoted, among others). I mean, you don't blame sugar for being sweet, do you?

Quote:
You raised Gargantia's gag episode. That episode managed to be relaxing, and a bit funny, without making the characters look ridiculously stupid compared to how they normal are. In fact, that episode even contained good character development for Ledo. Good writers can have a joke/gag episode without hurting characterization, and in fact some can even use the episode to help characterization.
You kidding me, right?
Spoiler for Gargantia's gag episode:

Quote:
Not everybody is going to be comfortable turning off their brain just because it's a joke/gag episode. Not everybody finds that easy to do. I myself don't. To the extent I can do it at all, it's due to how a show presents itself in general. If I find certain character actions (in an otherwise serious show) to be very stupid, then it's not likely that I'm going to also find it funny. I'll probably be facepalming, not laughing.
Spoiler for Comparison to Gargantia:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-11-09 at 23:02. Reason: Please place comparisons to other shows behind spoiler tags
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-09, 09:29   Link #1055
Pocari_Sweat
Monarch of Rughzenhaide

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
I didn't say gag episode is a necessity in every series. It's just an artistic choice by the series makers that can be polarizing. It's just, some people seem to criticize this Kyokai's ep for being what it is (look at Pocari's comment that I quoted, among others). I mean, you don't blame sugar for being sweet, do you?
Laughing at something stupid does not necessarily mean it's good. As mentioned before, Hanasaku Iroha episode 3 was extremely stupid and out of place and thus arguably not good. Yes, some people liked it and thought it was good and that is their opinion like the people who thought it was bad is their opinion.

Likewise it is the same with this episode. It was stupid and out of place and if someone thinks it's stupid, then that's a legitimate opinion because of it. If you liked it then that's fine too. I happen to think it was stupid, but I liked it because I have no expectations for this series and since I have no expectations I found it entertaining. However, it doesn't necessarily make it a good series nor a necessarily a good move in the bigger picture of things.

Quote:
Spoiler for Reply to comparison:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-11-09 at 23:03. Reason: Added spoiler tags in quotes
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-09, 09:44   Link #1056
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Laughing at something stupid does not necessarily mean it's good.
I never said that it's good. I just want people to know that this is a gag episode which has different "rules" compared to the normal episode. One of those rules being: it was meant to be/look stupid.

Quote:
Spoiler for Reply to comparison:
Before this continues, let me make things clear: I'm not arguing nor against other people's taste and opinion for this particular KnK episode. I'm just addressing that this gag episode was supposed to be stupid to those who don't get it. That's all.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-11-09 at 23:04.
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-09, 09:44   Link #1057
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
From reading some comments, it's pretty obvious to me that some people complaining here obviously don't get the idea of this being a gag episode nor know the nature of a gag episode.
People are simply not excusing it for excessive stupidity just because it's a gag episode.

Quote:
I didn't say gag episode is a necessity in every series. It's just an artistic choice by the series makers that can be polarizing. It's just, some people seem to criticize this Kyokai's ep for being what it is (look at Pocari's comment that I quoted, among others).
Maybe because they usually dislike this episode type?

If somebody criticizes a tsundere for being a tsundere it's because they don't like tsunderes (or at least they usually don't). There's nothing strange or illogical about this.

As for your food analogy, people can legitimately find something too sweet even if the food in question typically is sweet.

Quote:
You kidding me, right?
No, I'm not. And I'll explain why in spoiler space below (likewise, I would suggest editing your comments on that Gargantia episode into a spoiler space since you're getting into very specific details now).

Spoiler for Gargantia gag episode, spoilerrific:

Quote:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-11-09 at 23:04.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-09, 09:56   Link #1058
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

@Triple R: My answer to some of your points are already written in my reply to Pocari above.

Quote:
As for your food analogy, people can legitimately find something too sweet even if the food in question typically is sweet.
It's not the excessive taste that I was talking about. It's the function. Sugar exist to sweeten a food or a drink, so you can't blame sugar for being sweet. The same analogy also applies to a gag episode. You don't blame it for being stupid coz it's one of its goals.

As for your other points, I don't have to delve further since they fall into "differing opinions" territory about the character dumbing-down in Gargantia's gag episode.
Old 2013-11-09, 10:01   Link #1059
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:

It's not the excessive taste that I was talking about. It's the function. Sugar exist to sweeten a food or a drink, so you can't blame sugar for being sweet.
Let's suppose you go into a restaurant and order a dish that was described by the waiter as having a bitter taste to it. Then you find that a part of it is unusually sweet. Since this isn't what you were expecting to taste with this particular dish, it makes sense to criticize it for being sweet.

Quote:
The same analogy also applies to a gag episode. You don't blame it for being stupid coz it's one of its goals.
You can blame it for being stupid because you didn't want a gag episode to begin with. Or you can blame it for being too stupid just like you can call something too sweet.

Quote:
As for your other points, I don't have to delve further since they fall into "differing opinions" territory about the character dumbing-down in Gargantia's gag episode.
Well, that's up to you, but I think I gave good reasons for why I found the dumbing-down in Gargantia's gag episode to be less problematic than the dumbing down in KnK Episode 6.

It at least shouldn't be hard to see why I would legitimately like one episode more than the other.
Old 2013-11-09, 10:25   Link #1060
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Let's suppose you go into a restaurant and order a dish that was described by the waiter as having a bitter taste to it. Then you find that a part of it is unusually sweet. Since this isn't what you were expecting to taste with this particular dish, it makes sense to criticize it for being sweet.
Umm...exactly how hard it is to understand that I'm not talking about food, but the sugar's function?

Oh well, whatever. Let me apply that analogy of yours to this KnK episode:
Customers (audience) expect the food (gag episode) to be bitter (normal), but they find it unusually sweet (stupid).

In that case, the customers (audience) are misinformed about the food (episode) which messes up their expectation. Thus, what I'm doing right now is to correct the information by telling them that the food (gag episode) is supposed to be sweet (stupid). How the customers (audience) react afterwards is up to them.

See?

Quote:
You can blame it for being stupid because you didn't want a gag episode to begin with. Or you can blame it for being too stupid just like you can call something too sweet.
That reason is entirely different from blaming the gag episode for being stupid due to false expectation. In this case, you don't like gag episode at all, which is justified and I'm never against that idea. Again, I'm not talking about excessive taste.

Tags
blood magic, demons, kyoto animation, seinen, supernatural, tragic past