AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2011-02-23, 22:03   Link #21
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

At the beginning, K701s are harsh. I was told beforehand that this would happen but I didn't think it would be that...average.

After a good 150-300 hours of use (depending on how much sound you pump through them), it becomes absolutely wonderful. Beethoven and Chicago never sounded better to me.

So yeah, with the K701s, be prepared to break them in for a long period of time. Afterwards, they're amazing unless you're listening to heavier music.
Old 2011-02-23, 22:04   Link #22
idiffer

Send a message via ICQ to idiffer
there already isa thread for this. don't know how its called, but its there somewhere.
c) Your mind is too narrow to embrace my genius, de geso.
d) I was accidentally dropped into a barrel of whiskey, so now I am constantly drunk.
e) Go home and die! Dattebayo!
idiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-23, 23:02   Link #23
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

idiffer
, allow a pro to do this^^...

Merge thread alert!

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...ght=headphones

I'm also a headphone fiend!
Old 2011-02-23, 23:09   Link #24
tehmuffinmon
Seleção

I have a pair of Sony MDR-XB500s. I like 'em a lot, though the bass tends to overpower everything else depending upon the source. If I'm watching TV when people are sleeping, sometimes I end up hooking up the headphones to my NAD stereo receiver to listen because my house has terrible soundproofing.

Anyway, I've noticed from the receiver, the bass tends to drown out everything else more prominently than when I'm recording music of my own or listening to music on my PSP, which is what I use as an mp3 player. Also, the bass is more pronounced when hooked up to my computer, too.

Overall, great headphones for recording or listening to music, and considering I had never heard this much bass from any headphones before, I pretty much crapped my pants when I first listened to a song with serious bass with 'em.
tehmuffinmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-23, 23:11   Link #25
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post

idiffer
, allow a pro to do this^^...
Oh thank goodness, I was beginning to get worried! XD

The louder I turn up these AKGs, the more magnificent they sound. I'm afraid I'll damage my hearing or something.
Old 2011-02-24, 11:04   Link #26
tehmuffinmon
Seleção

I'm pretty sure it's natural to crank up speakers/headphones when they sound better louder. Contrary to what some people think, I believe my hearing has improved as a result. :P

My parents do everything quietly, haha. Watch TV, listen to music, talk, etc. As an aspiring composer I find that having the volume up when recording is definitely a plus, especially with higher grade equipment.

Subtleties in sounds become more apparent and overall instrumentation becomes richer and easier to work with when you can clearly hear everything and become immersed within what you're doing. I can't tell you how many times I've been scared by someone coming into my basement when I'm recording.

The MDR-XB500s are great at noise cancellation, though not so great with keeping sound within the headphones. I wouldn't listen to them in public for example, simply because I'm sure that I would annoy people around me because the music leaks right out of the headphones.

They're the most comfortable pair I've ever owned, although they can get a bit warm with extended use, but that's not a huge deal. One thing I will mention (really more of a personal gripe) is that they don't seem all that friendly with longer, straight hair. It's not a huge deal, but I've found that after using the headphones, it messes up my hair around the ears in weird ways.

This is not a dealbreaker by any means, just saying. It could just be me, but it sort of "pushes" my hair in towards my ears. I don't really know how to describe it, haha. *shrugs*
tehmuffinmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-19, 20:36   Link #27
Z3120

I consider being an audio enthusiast a small hobby of mine now. It started with replacing the decade old family PC speakers with the Swan M10, and I became a believer ever since. Loved the soundstage and how much string instruments glistened. Then, a few years later, I got the Swan D1080MKII08.

Eventually, I decided to replace the stock earphones on my Sansa Fuze during that time, got the Senn CX-300, and loved the newfound bass because the Swans don't have much of it honestly. But then, I also finally committed to my first soundcard, the Asus Essence STX, many months later; and well, I was pretty surprised at how much of an improvement that upgrade was because funnily, I was progressively getting bored of my Senn CX-300 unknowingly then. I only realized this when I felt like I needed to upgrade from my Senn CX-300, but I never had any suspicions why. But when I did purchase the Etymotic MC5, everything felt self-explanatory once I listened to them. They replicated the sort of sound I cherished from my speaker setup that I apparently missed or desired every time I rode the bus to and fro school with my Fuze.

As of now, I don't think I'll bother with a portable amp. I prefer my speaker setup over headphones and earphones because I enjoy my orchestral music and the soundstage my speakers provide that my phones can't. The reason why I bothered to look into getting a headphone in the first place was because it could accompany my speaker setup during the nights when I had to lower the volume. I love listening to my music that much more. I plan to buy the Swan M200MKIII sometime in the future, and my current headphones exclusively for home use are the Beyerdynamics DT 990 (250 ohms). Before, my first headphones were the Senn HD 555 briefly when Electronic Expo had that super deal on them, but I gave them away to a family member when he thought about getting a pair for nighttime use too.

The hobby is becoming expensive but I do enjoy it because I still see benefits. And since I'm a believer, I've been convincing and influencing my friends' audio-related purchases if I'm aware of them.
Z3120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-23, 17:48   Link #28
zebra
❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❥

Send a message via AIM to zebra Send a message via MSN to zebra
I have the wireless headphones RS119 from Sennheiser. They're pretty good; they actually kill any other noise surrounding me and Sennheiser is always neat when it comes to quality.
That they're wireless is pretty handy when dancing around or running around the house or garden.

I don't really remember much of the technical specs, but the sound is really crisp and clear even on high volume. Great for any genre.

I don't like that they look so plain, but I went for the intrinsic values this time When my sound source is off I sometimes receive the sound of someone else, which is pretty funny XD
I also don't really like that I'm really easy to scare with them on since I don't hear anyone sneaking up on me. Even my dog already surprised me a few times with a sudden paw attack.
But I can't really complain about that since I only hear my music and nothing else - and that's awesome
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-02, 04:39   Link #29
Lenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
i would say if you're looking for bass, sens are the way to go. but pretty much everything else is better on the k701. just in terms of tier, the k701 is simply better than the hd595.

Lenne, i just noticed you listed your audio gear in your sig. wrong forum for that
I actually use that sig for every forum I go to
Headphones: AKG K701, Beyerdynamic DT990 (600 ohm), Audio Technica ATH-M-50, Shure SRH440, Sony MDR-V6, Sennheiser HD 598, Ultrasone PRO900, Beats Studio (purple) Audio Technica ONTO (pink)
Lenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-02, 23:30   Link #30
mythe

Using ATH AD700's with a Total Bithead at home and Triple.fi 10's for portable use, I also have ER hf5's.
I was almost going to get some K701's a while ago but they're pretty power hungry and I dunno if my bithead would have enough juice.
mythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 01:46   Link #31
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Pfft, K701s are for boring fuddyduddies that only listen to jazz or classical!

K601 = best AKG headphone, especially for metal.

I'm partial to Audio-Technica, myself. In a perfect world with lots of money in my pocket, I'd own a pair of AD2000s, but I suppose my AD900s will do for now.
Old 2011-04-06, 22:29   Link #32
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Pfft, K701s are for boring fuddyduddies that only listen to jazz or classical!
Heck yeah, you DON'T? XD
Old 2011-04-12, 03:14   Link #33
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I said i wouldn't buy anything Sennheiser again, though i was recommended the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II on Sunday. I was sold the second i was allowed to preview them on my own Ipod (funny funny by the pillows ).

This shall be my next purchase in a few weeks.
Old 2011-04-12, 14:22   Link #34
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

HD25-ii's are considered the best portable headphones. just fyi . like, literally the best.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-12, 14:47   Link #35
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
HD25-ii's are considered the best portable headphones. just fyi . like, literally the best.
That's exactly what i was told , and i believed after the preview i had. Can't wait to own a pair.
Old 2011-04-12, 16:12   Link #36
Progbuusters

Sennheiser HD201 at work
Sennheiser HD203 at home
Sennheiser PMX-680i at gym

Last edited by Progbuusters; 2011-04-14 at 11:09. Reason: correct model number
Progbuusters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-12, 17:31   Link #37
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

I'm still rocking ATH-CK10s at the moment and will continue to rock them until they die or i save up enough money (not going to happen for a long long time..) for customs. too bad they've increased $100 since i bought them, or i'd recommend them to more people.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2011-04-13, 09:19   Link #38
Yorg
レベル 告片
*Graphic Designer

I'm Rock with the MONSTER Beats series yes the ones by Dre. lol Paid $380 for them and they are worth every bit..very very good headsets.
Yorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-13, 15:21   Link #39
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorg View Post
I'm Rock with the MONSTER Beats series yes the ones by Dre. lol Paid $380 for them and they are worth every bit..very very good headsets.
Funny, because i've heard that they keep breaking on people, and are nothing more then a fashion statement.
Old 2011-04-13, 15:38   Link #40
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorg View Post
i sincerely disagree with this statement.