AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Sword Art Online - Episode 11 Rating
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 45 34.62%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 37 28.46%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 27 20.77%
7 out of 10 : Good... 7 5.38%
6 out of 10 : Average... 8 6.15%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 1 0.77%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 1 0.77%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 4 3.08%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-09-24, 15:25   Link #301
Adigard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
While I'd say the odds of it being a source for them are low, if you're looking for series with a "stuck in a virtual world" related plot from before 2002, there's Tad Williams "Otherland" series.

Really, "trapped in a virtual world" plots have likely been around almost as long as the concept of VR itself. Heck, they crop up from time to time in Scifi series like Star Trek, and Stargate. So while it's theoretically possible early .hack promotions or episodes sparked the idea for SAO, it's a far cry to say that one rips off the other.
Really if you're looking at the origins for the .hack notion, I always thought of Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash (1992). Where a virus from a VR 'world space' type environment is affecting people in the real world and causing them to go comatose in the real world (I think, it's been a while).
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 16:10   Link #302
Znail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard24 View Post
I'd LOVE to see thoses sources
There are several, but the one that are most similar would be Yureka or ID eNTITY as it was translated as, it's from 2000. It's about a VRMMO and AI's play a pretty big role in it as well.

[edit] It's somewhat unlikely that english novels would be an inspiration source, unless they have been translated to Japanese. Neither feature VR games as well, but rather VR internet. If we go that far off then the Matrix would be a far more likely source and that was even a manga originally.
Znail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 16:27   Link #303
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard24 View Post
I'd LOVE to see thoses sources
We begin with Simulacrum 3 by Dainel Galouye from 1964 (later adapted into the film The Thirteenth Floor which was unfairly maligned as a Matrix ripoff). By the 1980s there were enough examples of the genre for both Red Dwarf and Garfield to parody it.

If you'd like examples that woudl've been popular in Japan c.2002, I'd point to The Matrix and Scrapped Princess, both of which have obvious similarities to the situation in SAO, though without the game aspect. There's also Cronenberg's eXistenZ which is from the same period, though very different in approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znail View Post
[edit] It's somewhat unlikely that english novels would be an inspiration source, unless they have been translated to Japanese. Neither feature VR games as well, but rather VR internet. If we go that far off then the Matrix would be a far more likely source and that was even a manga originally.
It's amazing what Western sci-fi stories influence Japanese writers -- Dandelion Girl was an inspiration for both Clannad and RahXephon, yet hardly anyone in America has heard of it, there's a manga based upon Hal Clement's Needle, which again hardly anyone in the US is familiar with, and James Tiptree, Jr. is heavily referenced in KamiMemo.

Last edited by Utsuro no Hako; 2012-09-24 at 16:43.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-25, 14:57   Link #304
Alucard24

thanks for the links ^^
Alucard24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 15:57   Link #305
kitten320

After 2 years there are still 2000 players stuck at the beginners level? Really?

Doesn't SAO have any age restrictions?
Old 2012-11-25, 16:06   Link #306
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
After 2 years there are still 2000 players stuck at the beginners level? Really?
Not everyone is going to want to take the risk. Playing a video game is one thing, but putting your life on the line is not what they signed up for. Rather than saying they're "stuck" there, it's more that they never decided to leave. I'm honestly not sure if I can blame them.

Quote:
Doesn't SAO have any age restrictions?
The same sort of age restrictions that Facebook and most other online services have; the children are probably either playing on their parents' account (or they created their own accounts and lied about their age), but obviously their parents had no idea that this could happen...
Old 2012-11-25, 16:12   Link #307
Solafighter
Hige

Speaking of which, Silica doesnt look like a hardcore gamer at all.
She certainly did it the way, relentlessflame mentioned. Lying about the age. Bad bad girl.
Old 2012-11-25, 16:22   Link #308
kitten320

No I understand that, I would expect people to remain on first level because of fright but 2000 seems a bit too much after 2 years considering that there were only 10 000 altogether.

And I doubt that that many parents would be willing to buy a game for a kid on the first day especially when it has age restriction.

Maybe I'm over thinking it...
Old 2012-11-25, 16:34   Link #309
Lightning_Wing

That's just one-in-five, just how many do you expect will be gung-ho about risking their life to beat the game? I imagine the "let-someone-else/better" attitude probably set in as well.

Now, that being said, the scope of the characters does seem a bit much for the 10,000 stated to be playing...with all the armies and super-guilds happening, as well as all the smaller in-betweeners.
Old 2012-11-25, 16:53   Link #310
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning_Wing View Post
Now, that being said, the scope of the characters does seem a bit much for the 10,000 stated to be playing...with all the armies and super-guilds happening, as well as all the smaller in-betweeners.
That's exactly what I was getting at.
Old 2012-11-25, 17:30   Link #311
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

The next few episodes will reveal how many surviving players there are, so you can draw a better comparison then.
Old 2012-11-25, 17:42   Link #312
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
No I understand that, I would expect people to remain on first level because of fright but 2000 seems a bit too much after 2 years considering that there were only 10 000 altogether.
As more and more *good players* die, I'm not sure the motivation to get out there and risk your own life gets stronger. By this point, the only way they can be helpful is to work their way up all the levels to the point where they can fight on the front-lines and help clear more dungeons. Doing that would take a long time (months?), assuming they survive the whole way. If the skilled people who did work hard all this time and made their way up to floor 74/75 are now dying, what chance do the level-ones have?

Basically the only thing that might get them to change their mind at this point might be just going stir crazy from boredom and if some high-level players came back to help them power-level (and keep them safe -- though see also Sachi...).

Quote:
And I doubt that that many parents would be willing to buy a game for a kid on the first day especially when it has age restriction.
Eh, I think parents buy M-rated games for their children all the time right now. But besides, I'm not sure that this game necessary would have so-strict age restrictions, and they may have been buying the game mostly for themselves but just let their kid try it out first (since it's brand new). Maybe it's an "okay, but you can only walk around in the home town for a bit just to try it out; only 15 minutes!" thing. I can easily see it happening.
Old 2012-11-25, 17:53   Link #313
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

The use of both an ethics code and advertising of bloodless carnage (yes there's violent but there's no blood and gore, possibly even "cartoony") would ease some parents' views on Sword Art Online, I imagine.