AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-05-22, 01:10   Link #321
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Interesting. Call of Duty Ghosts is on the Playstation Store with an ad that says:

Is this a roundabout way of saying the Xbox One will be released then or shortly prior? COD: Ghosts was one of the very few games shown at the release today.
Actually the game seems to be slated for release on PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox360 AND Xbox One. So the 360 and PS3 version may come out on that date while the PS4 and Xbobx One version will come out later... the sad thing is that one of the few games they DID take time to talk about was call of duty and its not even an exclusive; not even exclusive to the next gen. Xbox just get the DLC sooner. What a huge loss to non-xbox gamers...
Old 2013-05-22, 01:43   Link #322
domomonster
Badass

Looks like shit...
domomonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 02:34   Link #323
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
If they'd just stop going so insane with budgets and go the Steam route of frequent sales and package deals, they'd kill Gamestop's used-game bonanza and get all the money for themselves.
That would require going the Steam route of being the distribution platform itself. People love Steam as a distribution platform (because of the prices, variety, etc.). They hated it as a DRM scheme - I'm sure you remember the Steam's early reception.

If they become the distribution platform, than the scheme they propose is actually pretty generous - Steam doesn't exactly allow sub accounts or resales as Microsoft seems to suggest their system does. But I have the feeling this isn't where they're going just yet - the console business seems to be more conservative than the PC business in this regard.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 05:01   Link #324
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

*reads all the reveals*

WOW, and to think that I actually believed Xbox1 would be better than PS4...God I bet Sony's laughing their asses right now...
Old 2013-05-22, 05:36   Link #325
Sides

Yeah I know it is kotaku, but i find this article (not sure if you call it that) funny, Here's What People in Japan Think of Xbox One

Quote:
Originally Posted by unnamed guy on 2ch
"It seems like the day has come for me to leave the Xbox. It's total nonsense that there is no backwards compatibility. Ah, but if The Idolmaster 3 comes out, I guess I'll have to buy it..."
Really? Idolmaster 3 and kinect2? Really?
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 06:01   Link #326
Westlo
Lets be reality

Horrible name, should've gone with Xbox Infinity or Xbox Next or heck even just Xbox. Xbox One just sounds shit.

Also Cerny's ps4 speech shitted on these, best "talking head" in the industry, and he's a genius programmer/designer as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
XBox One sounds really bad. No B.C., I believe not even for XBLA games.
And why would there have been B.C for XBLA? I mean I keep seeing people saying that PSN and XBLA games should at least have B.C even if the "real" games don't... wtf? Where's the logic in that? It's made for the exact same hardware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
The only thing Microsoft managed to accomplish was to reaffirm that they never should have entered into this industry in the first place.
Their first entry made them knock down a decade long king into third spot, their second entry in the industry did the same thing to the next decade long ruler.

Quote:
At the very least, Nintendo is probably walking on water right now. This was a better gift than they could have ever hoped for. And if Sony is smart, they're walking back any of the stupid ideas they had (and you know they had them) now that they've seen the backlash against MS.
Bad reveal or not, it doesn't change that MS is going to have the backing of most third party publishers, I mean who do you think gets the benefit for this stuff? Yeah MS gets a cut but so does EA, Activision etc, why do you think EA dropped Online Passes?

And another thing that doesn't change is that the Wii U is performing worse than the Dreamcast did, and it's not like it has a fantastic library too boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
I was wondering "what kind of idiotic video game journalists are clapping at this crap"?
More like it was Sony employees cheering during the show lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
They haven't finalized it yet, things can still change.
Hahaha, no.

When vgleaks leaked the specs for the ps4 and 360 and was vindicated with the ps4 (except for the last minute addition of gddr ram) 360 fanboys were saying the specs will change blah blah. People with logic said at this current point of time it's too late.

Guess which side was right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
You will not get the specs from Microsoft because that will put them below Sony and PS4.
It's like 1.8 teraflops to 1.2 and 7GB GDDR5 (1 for OS) vs 5GB DDR3 (3 for OS), that's why we'll get Nintendo style descriptions and the only thing they even bothered to detail was their transistors count (we got 5 billion! oh wait it means nothing)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Sony, but more particularly Microsoft, don't see the console industry as a gaming mecca, they see it as a Trojan Horse by which they can control your living room. They want "media devices", not gaming devices
The entire reason MS moved into this industry was to counter the threat of Sony taking over the living room with the PS2. Now they feel Apple, Google etc are their comp, it shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelic Cross View Post
Hmm, huge console that pretty much gives the middle finger to used games. I assume it's safe to conclude that MS has given up on Japan?
They actually made a decent effort with the 360, but when you keep getting rebuffed and Japan being what it is... why bother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KleenexGhost View Post
If this keeps up then we might have a crash on our hands.
Can people who don't know why the industry crashed in the first place stop repeating this like a stupid meme?

Like somehow Square Enix having stupid expectations for their Western games is the equivalent of burying millions and millions of copies of E.T in a landfill. Or that 3 console makers is too much when the last generation had the most consoles sold it in period.

They are nothing alike period

Also the "most powerful console has never won" meme going around is just as stupid, facts are the PS4 is not going to be that far off in price to the Wii U and the... "One" because the latter two have failed in their ability to come in at a cheaper price point due to the Tablet and Kinect 2.0 respectively. Sony have ignored gimmicks to focus on making the console the best it can be for it's price hardware wise.

Anyway back to the point.

Snes > Genesis (yeah like a Neogeo home arcade console with expensive as shit games was a real competitor, foh)
psx being more powerful than the 3do and saturn definitely helped it, and while the n64 was stronger it had limitations due to carts, and perception is everything, look @ the tv ads for FF7 back in the day, all FMV scenes. The average person watching PSX or N64 ads on tv would assume the psx is more powerful. Also 3rd parties were massive....
Ps2 crushed the Dreamcast by being more powerful, xbox was a new "American" console in a time where Japanese games ruled the charts. Gamecube was too late and the Nintendo is for kids backlash was in full effect, dat lunchbox design didn't help.
Wii won thanks to Wii Sports being a gateway drug, but Nintendo thinking that audience would come back for the Wii U was a massive mistake. The HD twins are easily the best performing non winners in a console war.... by themselves they both outsell the 2nd and 3rd place consoles from the previous 2 gens combined.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 06:18   Link #327
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I'm not buying it. I wouldn't play it if Microsoft gave me one for free. It's all about making money for them, and has nothing to do with gaming. EA no longer has online passes? What a fucking red herring to distract us while Microsoft pulls this shit.

These kind of borderline-unethical practices are turning the entire industry into a goddamn joke.

I was already dubious about the PS4, but it's looking a WHOLE LOT BETTER than the Xbox One right about now.

That being said, I'm going to stick to PC games. I don't understand why anyone would buy an Xbox at this point when the Xbox is essentially turning into an inferior version of a PC anyway. At least on the PC you get to maximize/minimize your graphics options to optimize your performance settings.
Old 2013-05-22, 06:24   Link #328
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
I'm not buying it. I wouldn't play it if Microsoft gave me one for free. It's all about making money for them, and has nothing to do with gaming. EA no longer has online passes? What a fucking red herring to distract us while Microsoft pulls this shit.
It was pretty obvious this was going to happen once EA announced that... I mean especially with all the rumors swirling around.

Quote:
That being said, I'm going to stick to PC games. I don't understand why anyone would buy an Xbox at this point when the Xbox is essentially turning into an inferior version of a PC anyway. At least on the PC you get to maximize/minimize your graphics options to optimize your performance settings.
Because the Xbox is going to be a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a gaming rig.... like duh. Why buy this $400 thing instead of this $1600 pc!!
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 06:37   Link #329
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Because the Xbox is going to be a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a gaming rig.... like duh. Why buy this $400 thing instead of this $1600 pc!!
Simple. Next time you want to buy a new PC, simply add 400 dollars extra to your budget. No one is ever going to buy a PC JUST for games, but if you think of the extra money as what you normally spend on a console, it isn't much at all.
Old 2013-05-22, 06:40   Link #330
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Horrible name, should've gone with Xbox Infinity or Xbox Next or heck even just Xbox. Xbox One just sounds shit.
IMO, Microsoft blatantly took that off HTC's playbook with the HTC One -- right down to the marketing concept of being the one device -- although for HTC that refers to its unification of various smartphone lines into one top of the line device, while Microsoft refers to the new Xbox's multimedia aspirations.

It works with HTC because they had previous devices called One (Nexus One, HTC One X, etc.), but the Xbox?

Yeah no.

As for me, my one and only love is a powerful desktop PC. And not that $1600 nonsense (that would be when I want a 500GB SSD in the thing or something), even $800 is pretty powerful these days.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 06:56   Link #331
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

The silly thing is, after all the fuss about the TV features of the Xbox 1... It is NOT available out of the box!

You actually had to BUY a peripheral in order to connect your Xbox1 to the TV. WHY? When they forced the new Kinect to be mandatory with ever console, why are they trying to sell the TV function separately?

http://www.vg247.com/2013/05/21/xbox...parate-device/

Unrelated:
All things considered, I am actually impressed with the Kinect 2. And I look forward to seeing what the jail-breakers would do with it in revolutionising technology. I just don't think it would do any good as a gaming device.

Last edited by Vallen Chaos Valiant; 2013-05-22 at 07:13.
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 07:11   Link #332
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
If you paid that much to build your gaming rig, you need to learn to shop for deals. Use discretion.

You're forgetting all those fees you'll be paying. Or the prices for new games. One or the other. So you'll be paying something like at least $40-$60 for games, since remember, you're getting charged a fee for used games as well. Don't forget the fee for XBOX Live, either.

Whereas I can buy a game for sometimes as low as $20-30 on Steam if I get a good sale. Since I no longer play games with subscription fees (I still love Guild Wars 2), I buy a game once then I'm done. Sure, I have to have an online pass with discs I buy from a store, but that's always been the case with PC. PC users just deal with it.

Also, if I need to update, I don't need to buy a whole new PC. I only have to crack open the case and change my graphics card. Sure, they can be expensive (depending on what you're willing to spend), but the quality is what you choose, not what you're given.

The online passes for games on consoles is ridiculous and anyone that just swallows it without protest deserves to be paying extra.

If I get a new console (which I doubt), it will be without question the PS4. I actually don't own a PS3, and I love my XBOX 360, but there's just no way I would get an XBOX One when the PS4 is better in almost every way. Literally, name a feature and PS4 probably beats it. Oh, right. PS4 doesn't have a hands-free remote control for the television. WHOOP-DEE-DOO. Who cares?

And for proof that I'm not talking out my ass:

http://kotaku.com/you-will-be-able-t...cros-509140825
^Way to screw over GameStop, Microsoft. They are one of your biggest supporting companies because people could freely trade games. Now that we can't share or rent, a lot of people aren't going to blindly buy games they've never tried. At least I certainly don't, and never have. That's actually going to cause a net loss for everybody in the end... the gamer, GameStop, and Microsoft, too.

http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-does-requ...ay-o-509164109
^Great! So if my internet goes out for any reason I can't play. Awesome. just what I always wanted. /Sarcasm

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/21/435...r-offline-play
^Seriously?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/...e-us-at-launch
^Frankly I don't care either way about this pointless remoteless television controller. If anything, it detracts from the overall selling points because it further shows how generalized the XBOX is getting, rather than being gamer-centric which WAS the XBOX's greatest strength... up until now, apparently. On the other hand, PS4 is gearing up to be gamer-centric, so hats-off to them for at least having a better general idea of what GAMERS want. But the idea of having to purchase additional peripherals to support something that should come with the console out-of-the-box (assuming you don't get to right at launch) is infuriating, given that this is one of the new XBOX's touted new features.

Given how the new XBOX One has naught to show in terms of innovation, there's no reason to buy it.

If I'm going to spend an exorbitant amount of money on something, I'd rather buy something crazy like the Oculus Rift.
Old 2013-05-22, 07:49   Link #333
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
If you paid that much to build your gaming rig, you need to learn to shop for deals. Use discretion.
I paid more, and I shopped for deals and used discretion!(for more oomph! )
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 07:53   Link #334
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

Westlo The amount of money these games cost to create can be incredibly high. Not just Square Enix having stupid expectations. Companies like EA, Activision, Capcom. Look at THQ going backrupt. So I was referring to big budgets increasing more and more.
Old 2013-05-22, 08:04   Link #335
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Yeah I know it is kotaku, but i find this article (not sure if you call it that) funny, Here's What People in Japan Think of Xbox One
I love Japanese gamers.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 08:26   Link #336
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KleenexGhost View Post
Westlo The amount of money these games cost to create can be incredibly high. Not just Square Enix having stupid expectations. Companies like EA, Activision, Capcom. Look at THQ going backrupt. So I was referring to big budgets increasing more and more.
Isn't it just because of the absurd marketing cost? When the budget for marketing is higher than the cost of the game itself, you should know something is definitely wrong here.
Old 2013-05-22, 09:09   Link #337
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Send a message via MSN to Tong
While the media stuff is necessarialy useless for most gamers, what were we expecting in this gen regarding games?

Aside from better graphics, there's nothing really impressive to look forward to now. In the past gen, High Definition made a huge difference and was the selling point.
That's probably the reason of why they're compensating the lack of gaming appeal, with all those non-gaming features.

Can't feel or see any improvement in games, honestly.
Old 2013-05-22, 09:17   Link #338
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tong View Post
While the media stuff is necessarialy useless for most gamers, what were we expecting in this gen regarding games?

Aside from better graphics, there's nothing really impressive to look forward to now. In the past gen, High Definition made a huge difference and was the selling point.
That's probably the reason of why they're compensating the lack of gaming appeal, with all those non-gaming features.

The Occulus Rift and EVR would like to have a word with you
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 09:21   Link #339
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tong View Post

I would like 60 FPS for every game please.

Even those that don't need it! Like Atelier! Give Atelier 60 FPS !
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 09:28   Link #340
Dop
Mmmm....

I think a lot of this is going to come down to specification and price.

The XBox One may have a slightly lower specification that the PS4 (depending on CPU and GPU speeds?) but can it undercut it significantly enough on price? How much money can Microsoft lose to try and capture market share above Sony?

Because they do seem much of a muchness, and we've not really seen the PS4 yet.

Certainly I've not heard anything that makes me want to buy one. No Microsoft, I do not want to control my television by waving my arms around and shouting at it, I have a perfectly functional remote control unit with buttons on it that give me all the control I need.
I suspect most of this functionality will never really work properly outside of the US, anyhow.

The thing that first appealed to me about consoles was that you bought a game, put it in the console, and started playing.

But those days are over, even in the current generation (more with PS3 than XBox 360) you need to go and make some tea while waiting for the game to install, then maybe wait a bit more for updates to download and install, and it could be half an hour before you can actually start playing. It's as bad as the old PC days when you had to handcraft your CONFIG.SYS file for each game you bought!
(DR-DOS 5 was best for that, anyone remember?)

I think I'd much rather have one machine that plays games and does it well without any messing, than something like the XBox One which is trying to be too many things at once and won't do any of them as well.

But I do think it will come down to pricing, the cheaper machine could get more market share.

On the subject of specs, this article suggests the PS4 scores more here.

Last edited by Dop; 2013-05-22 at 09:47. Reason: added link to spec. review
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote