AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2005-12-21, 03:44   Link #1
Sian
Kozukuri Shimasho

Tales of Earthsea (Gedo Senki)

Doing a search of the Evangelion Live moive i found a gold deposit for Anime fans ... Studio Ghiblis next hit after Howl's Moving Castle

They are animating Ursula K. LeGuins book 'Tales from Earthsea'

One major diffence form Howl's Moving Castle though is that it aren't Hayao Miyazaki that is Director ... instead that job is passed on to his son Goro Miyazaki

Not so long ago Hollywood tried and failed with flying colors, because of a molestering of the story and generaly bad actors/directors/etc in that big degree that Ursula LeGuin didn't wanted to archknowledge it

It is aired In Japan in July 2006 and is proberly comming to the rest of the world around next Christmas

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/675/675486p1.html
http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/earthsea/
Sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 03:50   Link #2
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

OMG! I loved Earthsea! I can't wait to see what Ghibili does with this small part of the Earthsea story.

Thanks for passing on this news for those of us who managed to miss it until now.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 03:54   Link #3
Sian
Kozukuri Shimasho

^_^ ... loves Earthsea Trilogy as well ... allready made a appointment with some friends that we should go see the first one in Denmark with Japanese voices and english/danish subtitles
Sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 04:09   Link #4
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Wow, that's a beautiful news!
I love Studio Ghibli's works, and I was just wondering which could be their next work.

Also, I'm very curious to see Miyazaki's son as director!
Old 2005-12-21, 04:24   Link #5
hooliganj
Team Player

According to rumor, Miyazaki doesn't want his son going into directing, so I guess this will be a kind of test for him. I hope it works out.
hooliganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 14:45   Link #6
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliganj
According to rumor, Miyazaki doesn't want his son going into directing, so I guess this will be a kind of test for him. I hope it works out.
I think there was an article just about this on ANN some time ago.
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-17, 06:03   Link #7
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

New trailer for Gedo Senki is now online here.

I'm encouraged by what I see, as I had my doubts about Goro Miyazaki's lack of credentials. However I still think it lacks that essential Elder Miyazaki 'wow' factor though...
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-17, 10:51   Link #8
miaka

Japanese Voices

Ged: Bunta Sugawara
Prince Arren: Junichi Okada ------- V6 member ( popular jap. boy band group)
Therru: Aoi Teshima
Tenar: Jun Fubuki
Cob Yuko Tanaka
Hare: Teruyuki Kagawa
King: Kaoru Kobayashi
Queen: Yui Natsukawa
Vendor: Mistuko Baisyo

They are using the same marketing strategy with Howls moving castle. After Kimura from SMAP, now its Okada from V6.
miaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-17, 11:15   Link #9
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Thankfully, the staff are largely Ghibli regulars: Bunta Sugawara played Kamaji in Sen to Chihiro, Yuko Tanaka was Lady Eboshii in Mononoke Hime.

Interesting that Aoi Teshima who plays Theru, also sings the theme song. She's a newcomer, both as seiyuu and vocalist. Another Ghibli habit of picking unknowns for their leads...
Old 2006-04-17, 11:40   Link #10
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Seems like Junior is messing up the book he is adapting even more than Senior messed up "Howl".

Since it has Arren and Ged travelling, this must be "The Farthest Shore". But then we also have Theru, Tenar and Kalessin, so... this is "Tehanu"? Also, why is Arren a little boy?

This is barely even "loosely based upon", much less an "adaptation of".

The trailer looks a bit too much like Nausicaa meets Laputa, very 80's-style Ghibli work. But maybe that's a good thing...
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-17, 13:13   Link #11
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

No one should expect a faithful adaptation from this. Same with Howl (I still await the definitive movie of that movie, Wales and all). However from what I read on the Nausicaa mailing list it's largely based on 'The Farthest Shore', but obviously includes scenarios and characters from the other novels. I guess Arren is a boy because they need an attractive young male protagonist...
Old 2006-04-18, 00:47   Link #12
Tsume

A friend of mine pointed out to me that there is a potential snag in this movie ever coming to the US. Here, NBC/SciFi Channel (NBC owns the SciFi Channel) owns the rights to the Earthsea series, and released a TV movie based on it. When it comes time for Gedo Senki to make its way over here, they might complain about it infringing on their licence and prevent it from being licenced here. I hope this doesn't happen, but it is possible.
Tsume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-18, 02:24   Link #13
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Interesting. While Disney could certainly overcome that snag if they wanted to, it seems unlikely that they will even try, since they are determined to ensure all of Ghibli's movies sink into the obscure hell of limited release.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-04-18, 04:35   Link #14
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsume
A friend of mine pointed out to me that there is a potential snag in this movie ever coming to the US. Here, NBC/SciFi Channel (NBC owns the SciFi Channel) owns the rights to the Earthsea series, and released a TV movie based on it. When it comes time for Gedo Senki to make its way over here, they might complain about it infringing on their licence and prevent it from being licenced here. I hope this doesn't happen, but it is possible.
The only own the rights to their own production, not to the characters or the world.

Ursula LeGuin has been quite stingy with her intellectual property, so I believe that Walt Disney is covered there.
Old 2006-04-20, 01:07   Link #15
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Is it even humanly possible to screw up as much as Howl? Seriously I had read the book and the movie made so little sense. It could have been better. I was dissapointed when I saw the trailer. Gedo's trailer didn't. Plus teh song is beautiful I forgot Howl's music.

I like the Earthsea books. It is suppost it based on the near end books and I think a bit of the others. As well as the short story from "tales of Earthsea" Drgaonfly. I read these books years ago. I will have to read them again ^-^" she also wrote a new book I wasn't aware of until a fe months ago , which finishes up the series.

I can't rememeber much of the books other than Ged's real name ^-^"

Everything is based of Ursula's works so there is no problem. She is aware of both and she is the creator of the original so there wopn't be any problems.
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-20, 02:24   Link #16
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliganj
Wait, that makes no sence. Why give him the job of being director on a major project like this if you don't want him to be a director?
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-20, 03:18   Link #17
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

He doesn't WANT his son going into directing, but he is still going to support him. Of course, if the movie does poorly, it'll make it hard for the son to stand against his old man.

Naturally, that doesn't make any sense at all unless you have some experience with the messy and varied ways in which fathers and sons can relate. If you think of it as one of those messes, then it makes perfect sense.

Old 2006-04-20, 07:00   Link #18
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Miyazaki is ruling Ghibli like his own personal North Korea (not my camparison, it's Oshii's), but he isn't the only person there.

Toshio Suzuki and Hideaki Anno have been heavily pushing Goro as the "next generation of Ghibli directors", and their word goes pretty far in the business. That's why Goro got the job.
Old 2006-04-20, 07:28   Link #19
wao
OK.

Hideaki Anno? But why on earth... Could you please elaborate? I'm interested to hear and lazy to google.

Ah, if only Yoshifumi Kondo was still alive...

I guess at the very least it'll be a fun movie, but I kind of agree with Leo_Otaku in that it can't possibly worse than Howl's. I don't even want to remember watching that movie, and I even thought Spirited Away was a brilliant masterpiece when most Ghibli fans seem to dislike it....

EDIT: ANd I think Ghibli's not going to benefit from Toshio Suzuki very much...
Old 2006-04-22, 15:05   Link #20
luchamasta

Bumping the thread since I found the trailer at Ghibli's site (it's in Japanese):
http://www.ghibli.jp/25trailer/

Looks very Nausicaa-ish...

Last edited by luchamasta; 2006-05-26 at 19:47.
luchamasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ghibli