AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2007-08-27, 21:09   Link #61
Gemstar
Banned

Real fighting is fighting without rules. In any technique or style you are taught to defend against a specific type of punch or kick. Now in the real world people may not know how to punch properly rather a way they are accustom to. And you aren't taught in Karate or Kung-fu how to defend against someone throwing a shoe at you or slamming a wooden chair on you. If you must train in a style, learn it, master it then achieve it ! Don't be bound by its' limitations.

( Same goes for life )
Gemstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-28, 20:41   Link #62
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdtiger View Post
I agree that some of his concepts are flawed. For example Bruce Lee didn't think grappling was that important in most situation. He's not the only person that thought this Mas Oyama also said something similar. I disagree though in your assessment that he was telling people to completely abandon a technique that he doesn't like. Bruce Lee emphasis was on what works and doesn't work, yet also maintaining a balance. For example, I already mentioned Bruce Lee didn't like grappling and he thought that in most situation ground fighting wasn't a good idea, but because you need it in some situation Bruce Lee trained in those areas as well. As for Wong vs. Lee fight I personally think it was a tie (Which was Bruce Lee's original assessment of the fight, which he later changed). Again it's not whether you like a technique or not. It's whether it works for you or not. You can do this even with traditional martial arts. For example a person who is physically weak, but fast training in grappling is going to avoid using techniques that requires alot of strength and use techniques that requires speed and they can do this within the traditional system.

As for how much of Wing Chun did Bruce Lee learn. That seems to depend on the source. Some claim he learned the first 2 forms and began learning some of the third form, while others claimed he didn't learn any of the third form. Wong Shun Leung has said that Bruce Lee did manage to learn some of the advance techniques on his own...well he claimed he discretely taught some techniques wrong so Bruce Lee could figure it out on his own.
Excellent points. I've heard that Lee only learned the first form and maybe part of the second -- could very well be wrong, though. And he's not around to tell us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes_fan View Post
having seen a few fights in my time (this is what you get when your local pub is a dive). I have to say in IMO grapple based Martial Arts are more realistic in terms of real world use. Real world fights go one of two ways, one maybe two strikes thrown or it hits the deck and becomes a wrestle. Very rarely outside of organised competition have I seen a traditional style fight with people squaring up.
Disagree. There are two schools of thought (three if you count mixed-martial arts):
- "All fights go to the ground -- learn how to fight there."
- "All fights start standing -- keep them there."
- "Be prepared to fight standing or on the ground. (Note that if you train both equally, you will excel at neither -- which is a conveniently forgotten fact.)"

I already said this before in the thread -- I would avoid the ground at all costs in a fight. When you're standing, you can still run away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemstar View Post
Real fighting is fighting without rules. In any technique or style you are taught to defend against a specific type of punch or kick. Now in the real world people may not know how to punch properly rather a way they are accustom to. And you aren't taught in Karate or Kung-fu how to defend against someone throwing a shoe at you or slamming a wooden chair on you. If you must train in a style, learn it, master it then achieve it ! Don't be bound by its' limitations.

( Same goes for life )
No style teaches you how to take a chair shot except for WWF-style, if you smell what the Rock is cooking.

And no teacher worth anything will train you to counter "Eagle Dives to Pick Plum Blossom" with "Phoenix Ascends to the Heavens" or any such thing.

If there's a punch coming at your head -- any punch -- you have to either:
  • Block it
  • Parry it
  • Avoid it
  • Get socked in the face

Martial arts drills will train your body to instinctively do one of them. If you learn no style, or do not drill, you'll take too much time considering what to do, and end up getting socked in the face. That's really all martial arts are.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-29, 12:52   Link #63
tkdtiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by raikage View Post
Excellent points. I've heard that Lee only learned the first form and maybe part of the second -- could very well be wrong, though. And he's not around to tell us.

Disagree. There are two schools of thought (three if you count mixed-martial arts):
- "All fights go to the ground -- learn how to fight there."
- "All fights start standing -- keep them there."
- "Be prepared to fight standing or on the ground. (Note that if you train both equally, you will excel at neither -- which is a conveniently forgotten fact.)"

I already said this before in the thread -- I would avoid the ground at all costs in a fight. When you're standing, you can still run away.

No style teaches you how to take a chair shot except for WWF-style, if you smell what the Rock is cooking.

And no teacher worth anything will train you to counter "Eagle Dives to Pick Plum Blossom" with "Phoenix Ascends to the Heavens" or any such thing.

If there's a punch coming at your head -- any punch -- you have to either:
  • Block it
  • Parry it
  • Avoid it
  • Get socked in the face

Martial arts drills will train your body to instinctively do one of them. If you learn no style, or do not drill, you'll take too much time considering what to do, and end up getting socked in the face. That's really all martial arts are.
that's the thing we really don't know how much wing chun he learned and we probably won't ever know since it completely depends on the person you want to believe. I tend to believe Leung's version the most since he was the one that actually trained Bruce Lee, but he never states exactly how much Lee learned, except that he did some of the Dummy forms. It should be noted though that Bruce Lee's first martial art was Tai Chi, which was learned from his father. Bruce Lee did actually box and won 4 fights I believe in the boxing ring. so Lee already new a few styles before he even began coming up with the concept of Jeet Kune Do.
tkdtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-02, 18:57   Link #64
Gemstar
Banned

Bruce Lee was an old fighter. We don't know how he would do for now days. I don't know but since then maybe the fighting has changed and the way people think. Because the way people think greatly affects their fighting.
Gemstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-11, 12:00   Link #65
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

a fight doesn't need to be flashy, just one good punch or kick to take an opponent down is good enough.
Old 2007-09-12, 09:32   Link #66
mrvetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
a fight doesn't need to be flashy, just one good punch or kick to take an opponent down is good enough.
In other news, oceans contains water.
mrvetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-05, 22:44   Link #67
North Dakota

Marctial arts sorry can't speel lol ^_^

I was just wondering out of every body here whos into martcial arts and witch ones your in... I'm curently in tae kwon do and kum do I used to do boxing kick boxing and karate so what what are you about? ^_^
North Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-05, 23:22   Link #68
Yaoi_Daisuki
少年愛

ah i used to be in taekwondo till yellow belt lol, have yet to even start sparring. im also used to be in lion dance, not too sure if that is counted as a form of martial arts. being the "tail" of the lion is no joke, back hurts like hell
Yaoi_Daisuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-06, 00:06   Link #69
mrvetle

I used to be in taekwondo as well, quit right before the green belt. I want to start boxing or kickboxing.
mrvetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-06, 00:14   Link #70
Zaris
of Porsche

Send a message via AIM to Zaris Send a message via MSN to Zaris Send a message via Yahoo to Zaris
I have a black belt in Wushu kung fu, but that was five years ago and I haven't really practiced since. But for the purposes of my job, I create my own self-defense techniques and forms.
Zaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-06, 01:32   Link #71
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
When I was a wee lad, my father signed me up for seibukan lessons, but the lessons were slow, and I eventually stopped due to time constraints.

In junior high, though, I met two friends, one of whom was a black belt in tae kwon do and an assistant instructor at his mixed kung fu dojo, and the other a friend that sparred with him. I practiced informally with them, and thoughout high school and college we practiced bits from other styles we weren't formally trained in (including some Japanese fencing... with wooden practice swords. DO NOT REPEAT THE RISK-TAKING OF MY YOUTH!). Their form was always better than mine because of my desire to learn something new once I'd reached adequacy instead of instead spending time perfecting my technique, but I got to the point where I was sparring on the same level as them.

If you had to pigeonhole me, I'd say my style is jeet kun do.

I need to fill some of my holes by studying more kung fu and aikido and starting jiu jitsu (grappling is a serious weak point in my knowledge). I'd also REALLY like to study capoeira. I am several years out of practice (and it was poor practice to begin with).

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-06, 01:49   Link #72
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

I'm not sure that poor spelling is someting to be "lol'ed" about, especially when a spell-check function is available.

There is an existing thread on martial arts found here: Martial Arts and Combat Sports
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-06, 02:21   Link #73
Thingle
Banned

Our own martial art, Arnis. Everyone takes it up in school.
Thingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-06, 03:39   Link #74
Dxon
Inactive Member

I used to do Judo. Had orange belt. Was nearly getting the next belt but I quit. Why? Not interesting anymore. It was self-defence. At least thats why I started doing it. But after a while I asked If I could use it as self-defence and the sensei said I couldn't. Then I was like:
WTF?! A self-defence sport which you may NOT use outside of the dojo or whatever you want to call it.

So I quit... ^^ It lost it purpose. Now it's 4/5 years ago I stopped. When I think back I think like: Dude I could do it anyway outside the dojo. >o<
Dxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-06, 04:56   Link #75
Takeru
Jag äter idioter
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Takeru
I'm currently in my 3rd year of Kenpo Karate and am a green belt.
I really want to take kendo, but that'll probably never happen.
Old 2008-01-06, 09:46   Link #76
aka Providence
(; ,;) fthagn

Send a message via AIM to aka Providence Send a message via Yahoo to aka Providence
i used to practice the arnis but due to some medical conditions i now follow the philosophy of kicking my opponent in the wossname then running like hell. i managed to do that, at least more than once, too.

edit: still, due to some experience with the arnis, i can manage a little fight with the cane i use. the good thing about having a cane to help my walking is the fact that i'm always armed.
aka Providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-07, 03:10   Link #77
ToxicNarcotic
Fun Drunk

Send a message via AIM to ToxicNarcotic
I did Hung gar Kung fu when I was around 11-12ish for about a year and a half. I felt alot of traditional martial arts were simply too unrealistic in a fight situation so I quit. Did boxing for a few years but haven't done any martial arts lately. Been thinking about trying out bjj or wrestling for some grappling experience if my financial situation gets any better though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raikage
- The philosophy Lee developed, JKD, is the idea that you mix and match various martial arts. It's a good idea, however, the means by which Lee drew this conclusion is poor, and his following idea to abandon all traditional martial systems is likewise ultimately flawed.
The mixed martial arts philosophy has been around long before Bruce Lee. He just popularized it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes_fan
having seen a few fights in my time (this is what you get when your local pub is a dive). I have to say in IMO grapple based Martial Arts are more realistic in terms of real world use. Real world fights go one of two ways, one maybe two strikes thrown or it hits the deck and becomes a wrestle. Very rarely outside of organised competition have I seen a traditional style fight with people squaring up.
I agree that in practical use, grappling based MAs beat stand up by far. I've been in god knows how many situations where you got a buddy that's had plenty more than he should have drank, acting violent,rowdy, etc. and words aren't really effective. Cases like that you don't wanna just knock your buddy the fuck out, it'd be better to know some grappling to restrain him. Same could be said for an angry and violent spouse swinging fists around.

Aside from all that, 2007 was a crazy year in the MMA competition world, wasn't it?
-There were ssoooo many upsets this year, big ones like St. Pierre losing the title to Serra.
-The loss of Pride (really sucked, was more a Pride than UFC fan.)
-in a light weight title fight in the UFC both Sean Sherk and Hermes Franka test positive in the post fight urinalysis (come on!!! both the challenger AND defender?)
-Royce Gracie testing positive for illegal performance enhancing drugs,
-Nick Diaz's title win being overturned for testing positive for marijuana (while Gracie get's to keep his win when he tested positive for roids, go figure)
- Hughes vs Serra being cancelled after all the promotion
- and for the love of god we STILL didn't get to see Fedor vs Couture. Not only that UFC and Fedor don't seem to be making any leeway; it's so painful having to see such a great fighter (IMO the best heavyweight), fight such weak competition. I'd love to see him get into the UFC and steamroll all of them.
ToxicNarcotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-07, 03:24   Link #78
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
I can't believe GSP lost to Serra either. He looked like his mind wasn't there at all (then again, that's his excuse for it too--problems with his training crew, which he fired after the fight). Anyways, he balled on Hughes, so I'm pretty happy about that. If there's anyone in the Welterweight division I hate, it's Hughes.

Here's my worst of 2007 list:
-CroCop getting his ass (err, head) kicked by a nonamer, definitely NOT living up to his hype
-"I'm here for entertainment value" Quinton Jackson actually winning fights--and it's sad because it's hard to tell if it's just the UFC's bad competition, or Jackson actually getting his game together
-Fedor not signing up to the UFC, and Randy quitting the UFC for that reason. Fedor hasn't fought someone worthwhile for the last... what... year? Two years? That old Fedor vs Randleman fight was one of the craziest I've ever seen.
-Silva vs Liddell... been looking forward to this one forever. Where was the knockout? The submission? Fuck, where was Silva? He fought like an amateur. No muay thai whatsoever. Not a SINGLE clinch. Can't remember if there was even a knee. Terrible fight. Good thing GSP vs Hughes was there to save the night.
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-07, 03:41   Link #79
Figucher

Send a message via MSN to Figucher
I've been training Savate Défense for half a year now and I've liked it so far - it's a good workout, there's always something new to learn and there's a lot of sparring, which I like . I've been thinking about switching to a kickboxing sport (regular kickboxing, savate or possibly muay thai) for some time so I could try competition, but I haven't decided yet.
Figucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-07, 04:22   Link #80
ToxicNarcotic
Fun Drunk

Send a message via AIM to ToxicNarcotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaya View Post
I can't believe GSP lost to Serra either. He looked like his mind wasn't there at all (then again, that's his excuse for it too--problems with his training crew, which he fired after the fight). Anyways, he balled on Hughes, so I'm pretty happy about that. If there's anyone in the Welterweight division I hate, it's Hughes.

Here's my worst of 2007 list:
-CroCop getting his ass (err, head) kicked by a nonamer, definitely NOT living up to his hype
-"I'm here for entertainment value" Quinton Jackson actually winning fights--and it's sad because it's hard to tell if it's just the UFC's bad competition, or Jackson actually getting his game together
-Fedor not signing up to the UFC, and Randy quitting the UFC for that reason. Fedor hasn't fought someone worthwhile for the last... what... year? Two years? That old Fedor vs Randleman fight was one of the craziest I've ever seen.
-Silva vs Liddell... been looking forward to this one forever. Where was the knockout? The submission? Fuck, where was Silva? He fought like an amateur. No muay thai whatsoever. Not a SINGLE clinch. Can't remember if there was even a knee. Terrible fight. Good thing GSP vs Hughes was there to save the night.
Yeah GSP's head definately wasn't in it. Honestly I can't wait for GSP to dominate Serra. Honestly I don't think Serra is that good a fighter.

I wanted Lidell to win so bad when Jackson fought him. Jackson's a good fighter but I just can't stand that arrogance. God I can't wait till someone knocks him off his damn high horse.

Yeah, I think it's been about 2 years since Fedor fought anyone worthwhile. I think I heard Randy was talking about fighting Fedor in October once his contract is up. Hopefully though, the UFC will stop being such jerks about the contract.

Yeah, that definately wasn't Silva's best showing. He threw like what, 2 kicks the entire friggin' thing? Lack of clinching, no knees. It was more like a boxing match than anything else.
ToxicNarcotic is offline   Reply With Quote