AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-09-03, 16:53   Link #121
Rias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Princess View Post
Fixed for you. They will never aware of it anyways.

I always thought Howling's moving Castle is the first ever time he want to retire. Perhaps he still want to have "total control" in this department just because he find Makoto Shinkai a threat.
Most people don't know that he originally announced he would retired after Laputa.
Old 2013-09-03, 20:42   Link #122
scineram

Quote:
Perhaps he still want to have "total control" in this department just because he find Makoto Shinkai a threat.
What is Shinkai threatening?
scineram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-03, 23:06   Link #123
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Perhaps he still want to have "total control" in this department just because he find Makoto Shinkai a threat.
A threat to what?

Shinkai has had no real box office success and is hardly close to being a household name.
Old 2013-09-06, 01:04   Link #124
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:

In no way shape or form would he consider Shinkai a threat.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-06, 05:58   Link #125
Tri-ring

Here is his press conference.

Quote:
Miyazaki says he's retiring because he can't keep up the pace

TOKYO — The Japanese master of whimsical animation, Hayao Miyazaki, has retired before. This time, he says he really means it.

Miyazaki is one of animation’s most admired and successful directors. He said Friday that at the age of 72, he now wants to do other things besides slaving away over his drawings to meet feature film deadlines.

“I know I’ve said I would retire many times in the past. Many of you must think, ‘Once again.’ But this time I am quite serious,” Miyazaki told a Tokyo press conference, packed with some 600 reporters, including 70 television camera crews, from around the world.

“This will never happen again,” Miyazaki said at the conclusion of a nearly 2-hour-long news conference in which he shared his thoughts on everything from war to Italian cuisine, one of his favorites........for more click here.
宮崎 先生,
お疲れ様でした。
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-11, 20:33   Link #126
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
Here is his press conference.

宮崎 先生,
お疲れ様でした。
According to the article, he stiil does a 12-14 working hours without an off saturday at age 70+ total respect for a man with such passion in his work. Maybe that's the reason most of his work shines brightly even in international stage.
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-16, 10:19   Link #127
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

I've been out of the loop for more than half a year now, so if this was posted before elsewhere in the forum, my apologies.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Opening in Japan on March 1, 2014.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-03, 12:24   Link #128
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Studio Ghibli Closing Their Animation Studio

http://someoneone.blog116.fc2.com/blog-entry-8987.html

been rumored and considered after miyazaki retirement. the company now only handle old IP stuff like merchandising and re printing

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-03, 12:36   Link #129
Utsuro no Hako

So does this mean they'll still produce stuff but outsource the animation to third parties like with Goro's TV series?
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-03, 12:49   Link #130
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
So does this mean they'll still produce stuff but outsource the animation to third parties like with Goro's TV series?
could be. they basically just license stuff

also to clear thing up. is not exactly "shut it down permanently" they discuss that it possible that they will re-open it and make new movie. but that future is uncertain

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-03, 13:00   Link #131
com_gwp

Guess that insider leak awhile back had some credibility after all. But so far, all the news we're getting is through the grapevine, so we should wait for an official statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
No, if the rumors are true they'll downsize to a holdings company that'll just manage the copyrights (for licensing and merchandising) and profits/royalties to their old IPs from here on out. Beyond that, the future is uncertain. Someone big (like Disney) might acquire them for the brand, or they could reopen at some point for, like you said, third-party involvement. There are a lot of possibilities.

What's sad is that this isn't a a result of the quality of their production, but simply a consequence of a business model that is becoming increasingly unsustainable. It's a worrying sign for the industry at large when its definitive art house can't make ends meet.

Not sure what will happen with the new TV series now in light of these rumors. But on hindsight we can see that they were trying to find different source of income through it.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-03, 16:52   Link #132
Mich666

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
also to clear thing up. is not exactly "shut it down permanently" they discuss that it possible that they will re-open it and make new movie. but that future is uncertain
the main problem as I see it is in letting go all those experienced talents that maintaned their distinctive art and animation. outsourcing something like this may be a great problem as character design and animation will be done by other studios.

Great vision and director like Shaft for example is not enough for creating their destinctive style without right people who knows what to do.
Mich666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-03, 16:59   Link #133
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Still it's strange. Their latest works made by other directors were if not so big hits as Miyazaki's or Takahata's works but still much more profitable than majority of anime movies.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-03, 17:12   Link #134
ellifeedn
Thinker

It's sad to think that Studio Ghibli might not be making anymore movies.
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-03, 17:28   Link #135
com_gwp

And the rumors are officially confirmed.

Edit: Two things; Firstly, this is still coming from a blog post reporting on the TV program, so take the news cautiously. Secondly, Suzuki's statement might have been mistranslated; he's actually saying that Ghibli is "taking a rest" based on a twitter post.

Today is a monumentally sad day for anime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
Still it's strange. Their latest works made by other directors were if not so big hits as Miyazaki's or Takahata's works but still much more profitable than majority of anime movies.
No, the box office earnings might've been higher than most shows, but all their latest films (Wind Rises, Kaguya and Marnie) all fell short of their profit margins.

Last edited by com_gwp; 2014-08-03 at 19:20.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-03, 17:36   Link #136
Dextro
He Without a Title

It is a very sad day for anime and anime fans everywhere. I was never a big Ghibli fan but I always understood what drew people to it and the quality it stood for.

Now I'm wondering: can this be turned into a net positive for the industry? Can the highly qualified workers that should be leaving the company find new work in the industry and bring forth a minor golden age of quality animation or am I just being overly optimistic?
Old 2014-08-03, 19:37   Link #137
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Aside from the shattering dismay of losing Ghibli as a creative force, I don't think people realize what an ominous sign this is for the future of anime production in Japan. Actually having skilled animators on a living wage make films in Japan is no longer profitable under any circumstances, even if they gross what Kaze Tachinu did. The future is increased outsourcing to China and Korea, increased bad CGI, and more animators working 100 hour weeks for a poverty wage, needing kickstarters to try and get them a room to collapse in.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-03, 21:15   Link #138
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Anime is dead.
Old 2014-08-03, 21:45   Link #139
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

It really such a shame that such a good studio like Ghibi closing it kind of wonders whats going to happen to the future anime
Old 2014-08-03, 23:43   Link #140
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

ANN is now reporting it: Ghibli Co-Founder Suzuki: Studio Considers Dismantling Production Department

Edit: and Crunchyroll too.
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ghibli