Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2004-05-15, 02:58   Link #1
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Valve has restored my faith in Half-Life 2

680 megabyte, 30 minute long video

LOOOOOOONNNG download. But WELL WORTH IT. Bring yourself a napkin. You wouldn't want that keyboard shorting out from the drool now, would you?
Old 2004-05-15, 03:30   Link #2
kagetsu
3D Animator
*Artist

Honestly I'm really hoping that was only a playable tech demo and not actual gameplay cause I found it rather boring. Nice looking for what it is, not doom 3 nice though. The facial animation and characters looked good also but there was still something about it that made me go damn, I hope this isn't the game.
kagetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-15, 10:19   Link #3
Sid_Burn
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Sid_Burn Send a message via AIM to Sid_Burn Send a message via Yahoo to Sid_Burn
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagetsu
Honestly I'm really hoping that was only a playable tech demo and not actual gameplay cause I found it rather boring. Nice looking for what it is, not doom 3 nice though. The facial animation and characters looked good also but there was still something about it that made me go damn, I hope this isn't the game.
You... You... Downloaded that!?... It was sooo big... that I've lost my hope downloading that trailer..., anyway... I hope there will be a Half-Life the Movie... since it has a good plot...
Sid_Burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-15, 11:37   Link #4
Ending

Pff, you might have warned first that is was a fricking .MOV file.

When people start using DivX...
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-18, 01:56   Link #5
N1nj4

Send a message via AIM to N1nj4
I have no doubt that HL2 will be a good game when it comes out. The problem is that it actually has to come out.
N1nj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-20, 13:47   Link #6
Samurai_Yojimbo

Not even baby jesus knows when this game will come out valve have well taken their time but i havent really lost faith in the game ive always thought it looked sweeeet and the CS on H-L 2 engine only sweetens the deal i cant wait for it (btw how could anyone on gods earth think doom3 looks better )
Samurai_Yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-20, 22:41   Link #7
MwyC

Send a message via AIM to MwyC Send a message via MSN to MwyC
according to a sierra guy who played through HL2, it is going to be worth the wait
took him 30 hours to finish and he isnt a n00b fps gamer either
MwyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-20, 23:13   Link #8
Bandersnatch
Gantz Survivor

Send a message via AIM to Bandersnatch
I just watched the video and......wow. I was excited before but now I want it now! That weapon that lets you pick up and throw stuff looks awesome and also I didn't read about there being vehicles in it which look like a ton of fun. Was kind of disappointed with the Counter-Strike video at the end though, just playing on one of the old maps. Would of liked to see it on a new map. The striders were amazing too and I liked how one impaled some guy and was walking around with him impaled still lol.

Shun me, for I am frumious!
Bandersnatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-21, 08:54   Link #9
Ending

Saw a small clip of it from TV, where Gordon took a buggy and drove it arounda bit. Looked very convincing. If it is any as good as the first part, definitely a must buy together with the Sims 2.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-21, 10:28   Link #10
kagetsu
3D Animator
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_Yojimbo
Not even baby jesus knows when this game will come out valve have well taken their time but i havent really lost faith in the game ive always thought it looked sweeeet and the CS on H-L 2 engine only sweetens the deal i cant wait for it (btw how could anyone on gods earth think doom3 looks better )
Very easily, Doom 3 is a vsual masterpiece with using lighting as a very strong mood point. Its not easy to create mood in games and doom 3 is looking to pull it off 100x over.
kagetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-22, 22:08   Link #11
ChayXV01
Tim-may!!!

Send a message via AIM to ChayXV01
Hope it HL2 doesnt get delayed anymore....
To think i was about to buyt he 9800xt for this....
In the meantime Steam suks

Doom does look good but I won't say which is better till i try them both
ChayXV01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-22, 23:24   Link #12
MwyC

Send a message via AIM to MwyC Send a message via MSN to MwyC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandersnatch
I just watched the video and......wow. I was excited before but now I want it now! That weapon that lets you pick up and throw stuff looks awesome and also I didn't read about there being vehicles in it which look like a ton of fun. Was kind of disappointed with the Counter-Strike video at the end though, just playing on one of the old maps. Would of liked to see it on a new map. The striders were amazing too and I liked how one impaled some guy and was walking around with him impaled still lol.
cs was just a direct port over to hl2 to show modders how easily material from the first game could be put into the second one
MwyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 09:28   Link #13
wnkryo
HainShodan

Yo... YO!!!!

Can some one seperate the hl2 section of the video from the counter-strike section of the video, becuase I want to only see the cs one @_@
wnkryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 13:58   Link #14
Sanjuronord
セクシーなパイロット

Very nice video and one of the first things I wanted to see from e3. Game looks awesome, the graphics remind me of a kinda grainy low budget horror movie kinda feel (kinda like that 28 days later movie...though it sucked and the comparison ends there ). Love the way they're doing that intro, creates a real 1984, big brother vibe with that reassuring old creepy guy on all the video monitors.

Comparing Doom 3 to Half Life 2 is a no brainer though, the graphics engine in Doom 3 is pushing the most power though Half Life 2 has a few small neat things going for it as well like those facial animations and whatnot. Problem is gonna be that each area in Half Life 2 is gonna look unique whereas Doom 3 I think is just gonna run together. The trailer for it featured only dimly lit areas that were indistinguishable from one another except for which color the lone rotating light in the room was. Seriously hope they were only showing a tech demo and not actual areas in that game.

For a real graphics treat though check out the Unreal 3 engine demonstration (no game just showing off the engine). The stuff they're doing is really impressive...
Sanjuronord is offline   Reply With Quote