AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-02-16, 14:36   Link #841
RDNexus

But why must death be a relevant element for a more compelling story?
There must be other ways to make it do without having to rely on death.
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-16, 14:52   Link #842
Blueknight78

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB079 View Post
For years all what we get for the most part are characters with a huge plot armor that no matter what happens they survive everything. That is just lazy writing and a waste of a decent plot device that can improve the character development of the main cast quite a bit, same for the story (there are exceptions of course).

There are series that did the opposite like Gundam IBO where the death of relevant characters and some main ones have a huge impact in the series and on the rest of the characters, providing a more enjoyable experience.

In DarliFra you have kids that are literally raised as weapons, they lack any type of common sense or the standard knowledge about human relationships, things like what's been happening with 02 and Hiro are changing them in some way but they've never experienced death, only the death of some random guy. Using a little bit of logic after understanding such basic element of the series already shows you that here with all the battles coming and the danger, someone will die no matter what, especially since the feelings of these kids are coming out in different ways, probably affecting their performance in battle leading to some fatal incidents, there you have Ichigo, Mitsuru, Hiro and to some extent 02.

If the Director is smart he will use the death of a memeber of the main cast as a plot device that can improve the characters quite a bit instead of falling for the same bullshit "oh here it comes X character to save the day and avoid every single death!" which is honestly, one of the most tiresome cliches ever.
you can turn that logic in the other way too and having peoples "dying to improve" others characters is another "over used cliche" for many years in the end all are just cliches and is about "tates" what are the "cliches" which you like more and the ones you like less or hate or hate more.
Old 2018-02-16, 15:02   Link #843
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrewySquirrel View Post
It would be like asking Tsuredure Children or GAMERS! to murder half its cast.
I don't think anybody in Tsurezure Children had such a dangerous profession as piloting giant robots in order to fight giant monsters. Don't know about Gamers.

I don't know man. Seems kinds weird having characters live such a dangerous life and constantly have them talk like death is just around the corner (especially for one particular character), if you're not trying to go for at least some sort of tension. Now it is true that they don't have to necessarily die but I'm sure you can understand that some viewers have seen that kind of writing one too many times and perceive it as a little "safe".

Of course, I don't think it would make any difference if any of the side character were to die (especially the chubby one). A more daring outcome would be to have Zero Two/Ichigo/Hiro die.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-16, 15:34   Link #844
AB079
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueknight78 View Post
you can turn that logic in the other way too and having peoples "dying to improve" others characters is another "over used cliche" for many years in the end all are just cliches and is about "tates" what are the "cliches" which you like more and the ones you like less or hate or hate more.
And you're not even getting the point.

It's all about execution, the usual cliche of everyone having an insane plot amor that let them survive everything stopped working long time ago. Meanwhile on the other hand characters dying is another cliche as you said but on many series the execution is what change things a lot, especially for the development of the characters and the story.

You don't have to be a genius to see that characters will die here, what people is saying is that it can be interesting watching part of the main cast dying, what the director is going to do with that type of developments? nobody knows but if is managed in a proper way it can be a possitive thing for the series.
AB079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-16, 15:51   Link #845
Blueknight78

Quote:
And you're not even getting the point.

It's all about execution, the usual cliche of everyone having an insane plot amor that let them survive everything stopped working long time ago. Meanwhile on the other hand characters dying is another cliche as you said but on many series the execution is what change things a lot, especially for the development of the characters and the story.

You don't have to be a genius to see that characters will die here, what people is saying is that it can be interesting watching part of the main cast dying, what the director is going to do with that type of developments? nobody knows but if is managed in a proper way it can be a possitive thing for the series.
i disagree with you again on that part and feel you are using your personnal taste here, not it "not stopped to work if it really stopped you could not get series still doing that, series like dragon ball which are still aclaimed, it's just about "taste, that is my point.

as you told what is matter is having a good writing skills, in the same way no deaths can be bad executed the same goes for the "death" you can find many series with stupid and pointless deaths just for the sake of the cliche or fanservice or just bad writing, what is matter the writing skills/execution when deaths can be good or no and the same for "non deaths" and in the end what is matter is the "target public and tastes".

Last edited by Blueknight78; 2018-02-16 at 16:07.
Blueknight78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-16, 16:20   Link #846
AB079
Banned

Quote:
i disagree with you again on that part and feel you are using your personnal taste here, not it "not stopped to work if it really stopped you could not get series still doing that, series like dragon ball which are still aclaimed, it's just about "taste, that is my point.

as you told what is matter is having a good writing skills, in the same way no deaths can be bad executed the same goes for the "death" you can find many series with stupid and pointless deaths just for the sake of the cliche or fanservice or just bad writing, what is matter the writing skills/execution when deaths can be good or no and the same for "non deaths" and in the end what is matter is the "target public and tastes".
Do you even know the difference between execution and taste? because you don't understand that or you're just completely ignoring it. Also using Dragon ball as a backup is completely out of place, that is a series that has a huge fanbase for decades, it is popular mainly because of that. This is not about "taste", this is about using something interesting to make the series better.

What matters in this series is what other users already pointed out, it makes sense having characters dying but that's something you can see everywhere, what can be interesting here is watching main ones dying and how in the studio can handle that to make it relevant instead of falling in the same cliche we've seen for years. Everyone surviving is too convenient and boring when is established that they're in a huge war and other people already died because of that.
Old 2018-02-16, 16:26   Link #847
shadow1296

episode 5 analysis by that guy

Old 2018-02-16, 16:35   Link #848
Blueknight78

Quote:
Do you even know the difference between execution and taste? because you don't understand that or you're just completely ignoring it. Also using Dragon ball as a backup is completely out of place, that is a series that has a huge fanbase for decades, it is popular mainly because of that. This is not about "taste", this is about using something interesting to make the series better.

What matters in this series is what other users already pointed out, it makes sense having characters dying but that's something you can see everywhere, what can be interesting here is watching main ones dying and how in the studio can handle that to make it relevant instead of falling in the same cliche we've seen for years. Everyone surviving is too convenient and boring when is established that they're in a huge war and other people already died because of that.
you want more???, boku no hero, nanatsu no taizan, i can come with a lot of series which follow that "no deaths" or no main character die or characters which die and come back making pointless deaths, dragon ball is just the most classic one and i know the difference what it's look more is like you just don't like peoples not agreeying with you and maybe "only your opnion or peoples which share your opnion matter.

For me as long the death make sense and don't look a asspull ultra cliche i'm fine even if i can get mad for x or y deaths at same time if none die and the story is good enough i'm also fine.

By deaths i means important/relevant characters, not the obvious to death minor characters.
Old 2018-02-16, 17:09   Link #849
AB079
Banned

Quote:
you want more???, boku no hero, nanatsu no taizan, i can come with a lot of series which follow that "no deaths" or no main character die or characters which die and come back making pointless deaths, dragon ball is just the most classic one and i know the difference what it's look more is like you just don't like peoples not agreeying with you and maybe "only your opnion or peoples which share your opnion matter.

For me as long the death make sense and don't look a asspull ultra cliche i'm fine even if i can get mad for x or y deaths at same time if none die and the story is good enough i'm also fine.

By deaths i means important/relevant characters, not the obvious to death minor characters.
I do not recall implying or saying anything of the sort, in fact I'm pointing out elements coming out of the series itself and talking about the execution of that topic while you're resorting to personal attacks and pushing your own taste, doing that invalidated everything you said.

Saying "for me" it means that's what you choose or what you prefer, you're not mentioning anything objective about the current discussion of main characters dying on DarliFra using what the series is giving us as plot or why so many people wants that to happen so the story can take an interest development, nor adressing what other users already mentioned regarding the series and what we got from the PV, which is something I share too.
Old 2018-02-16, 17:32   Link #850
Twi

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1296 View Post
He puts it so much work on them. I'm impressed.
Old 2018-02-16, 17:32   Link #851
DevilHighDxD
Zero Two Best waifu 2018

If we were to go by the Jian's parallel and Strelizia's symbolism, then both 02 and Hiro will die together as a pair. I will be more supportive of that than to have them separated by death and life. But killing them both and especially killing 02 this early is basically "How to Kill This Anime 101". Maybe toward the end, as right now what's happening to Hiro is opposite of what happened to previous partners of 02. Previous 02's partners died so Hiro might survive? Honestly this just 6 episodes in so I don't know why everyone is focusing on deaths so soon. Episode 1 even foreshadowed 02 joining Plantation 13 as she is wearing their uniform along with Hiro. The 26 squad might die though.
Old 2018-02-16, 17:34   Link #852
Blueknight78

Quote:
I do not recall implying or saying anything of the sort, in fact I'm pointing out elements coming out of the series itself and talking about the execution of that topic while you're resorting to personal attacks and pushing your own taste, doing that invalidated everything you said.

Saying "for me" it means that's what you choose or what you prefer, you're not mentioning anything objective about the current discussion of main characters dying on DarliFra using what the series is giving us as plot or why so many people wants that to happen so the story can take an interest development, nor adressing what other users already mentioned regarding the series and what we got from the PV, which is something I share too.
O.o??? you where the one saying which for a serie to be good "peoples must die" and which peoples not dying is a not more used cliche and bla bla bla, i'm just point different than you.

About this serie so far i'm honestly don't know if imporant peoples really gonna die, i'm already saw a lot of series which death flags being raised just for "tease" too and i know which we also are expeculating over it, so far the most big death flags where hiro and the scum annoying guy which i forget the name but we don't know if they gonna really die and if they dying can be really important.

Yeah as i told while and others must have that sort of taste "not everyone" and normally you talk as if the majority are asking for it and it's not something i really seeying here, while some peoples are asking for that others no, that what means different opnions and tastes.

So far if someone gonna die i feel it's too early for that (again i'm talking about important named characters not random fodders to be killed like the second group) like others "pointed" it's really too early the group need to develop more and even neither op or ed showed any chance of someone dying too soon, maybe later in the second core (this is a 24 episodes right), when the characters are more developed which maybe i can see someone dying but i really feel which is too early even if i wanted the annoying bitch guy dying(forget his name) and even the "fat one" i feel is too early for him, specially because if him die it also means the girl dying cuz she can't be left without him they are paired for that and in the battle is almost impossible only one survive because we know how really hard is for one person alone to pilot the franxx and specially because probably only the girls can do that because they are the "control" if they die first the guy gonna follow in dye because the robot will totally stop without the girl to make it "alive".
Old 2018-02-16, 18:52   Link #853
DemonneoPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilHighDxD View Post
If we were to go by the Jian's parallel and Strelizia's symbolism, then both 02 and Hiro will die together as a pair. I will be more supportive of that than to have them separated by death and life. But killing them both and especially killing 02 this early is basically "How to Kill This Anime 101". Maybe toward the end, as right now what's happening to Hiro is opposite of what happened to previous partners of 02. Previous 02's partners died so Hiro might survive? Honestly this just 6 episodes in so I don't know why everyone is focusing on deaths so soon. Episode 1 even foreshadowed 02 joining Plantation 13 as she is wearing their uniform along with Hiro. The 26 squad might die though.
I would like to think people still care about this anime besides the existence of a certain character or just because they lewd a waifu. I like 02 a lot, but like @AB079 said, if the director manages to do something great and relevant to the plot, watching the main ones dying, is something that could be amazing and benefit the story exponentially. But if people only want to see 02, shippings or the other loli-like girls for other reasons besides the actual plot then i can see why it would be a bad idea to the anime future...

I actually expect to see some deaths tho since this show is about mechas, war, serious stuff and shit! Not exactly the two MCs but at least someone from the main group even if it does not exactly benefit the plot, but at least it's a fitting cliche that would reinforce how dangerous that world is.
DemonneoPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-16, 19:26   Link #854
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I really don't get the feeling that anyone important is going to die any time soon. The other squad they introduced? Oh yeah they are dead. Using the same type of units, barely any characterization outside of the leader with an understandable grudge? Yeah, they are done for.

But Hiro or 02? I just doubt it. This isn't about waifu or fanservice. 02's existence still can involve some interesting world building. Just feels like we are at the start here in terms of understanding her origins (much less what the klaxosaurs are). Seems doubtful they'd kill her off any time soon. And the same goes for Hiro really. What is happening to him has an interesting factor. But if he was just going to die then there wouldn't be much point making his reaction to piloting with 02 so different.

Although I do think killing off the biggest personality in your show can be a rather risky move. It can pay off, but it could just blow up in your face if the rest of the cast can't carry the show.

Not even sure I buy the whole "this is serious so someone is bound to die." This is a show drowning in sexual innuendo and teenage frustration. Not so much 'doom, death, war!' They are more likely to have a shock pregnancy in this show than a major character death .
Old 2018-02-16, 19:41   Link #855
AB079
Banned

What if we get a guilty crown type of ending with Hiro and 02?
Old 2018-02-16, 19:59   Link #856
DevilHighDxD
Zero Two Best waifu 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonneoPT View Post
I would like to think people still care about this anime besides the existence of a certain character or just because they lewd a waifu. I like 02 a lot, but like @AB079 said, if the director manages to do something great and relevant to the plot, watching the main ones dying, is something that could be amazing and benefit the story exponentially. But if people only want to see 02, shippings or the other loli-like girls for other reasons besides the actual plot then i can see why it would be a bad idea to the anime future...
Not just dealing with waifuism in general but just the highlights (from my observation by the reactions of the internet) of this particular anime is carried by the interactions of Hiro and 02. It could be shipping, but the plot also move along with it. Episode one promised viewers that this anime will be Hiro and 02, so the viewers continue on with the anime with that expectations. 02 is not a perfect characters but her premise specifically targeted a audience (the West mostly) that has built up a frustrations from dense protagonist and harem shenanigans/melodramatic love drama. I suspect that this contributed greatly to her popularity given how much the issue above has plagued the mecha genre. It’s why people considered the first half of Death Note better, Hiro’s and 02’s relationships is like the rivalry and struggles of L and Light. I do think the two main casts is harding carrying (02 mostly) the show or else there really not much attractions as the show is fairly generic.

Quote:
I actually expect to see some deaths tho since this show is about mechas, war, serious stuff and shit! Not exactly the two MCs but at least someone from the main group even if it does not exactly benefit the plot, but at least it's a fitting cliche that would reinforce how dangerous that world is.
I think this is the wrong anime for that.

The other Plantation’s parasites might though

Quote:
What if we get a guilty crown type of ending with Hiro and 02?
I think episode one sum up their relationship quite clearly, either they both live or both die. The Jian birds fly together or die together.
Old 2018-02-16, 20:18   Link #857
DemonneoPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
But Hiro or 02? I just doubt it. This isn't about waifu or fanservice. 02's existence still can involve some interesting world building. Just feels like we are at the start here in terms of understanding her origins (much less what the klaxosaurs are). Seems doubtful they'd kill her off any time soon. And the same goes for Hiro really. What is happening to him has an interesting factor. But if he was just going to die then there wouldn't be much point making his reaction to piloting with 02 so different.
I can agree with this. It's part of the reason why i enjoy seeing 02 actually. The episode that will reveal her character's origin and the mysteries that come with it will probably be lit af . My main motivation in this show is exactly that. I find the world interesting and with so much to answer.

When i mentioned for them to die it would not be now since 02 is still not explored enough as a character.

Last edited by DemonneoPT; 2018-02-17 at 08:39.
DemonneoPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-17, 09:08   Link #858
kari-no-sugata II

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1296 View Post

This guy is crazy.... but in a good way. Maybe I'm crazy myself for watching this. I like his beehive analogy.

It'll be interesting to see where this show goes. I'm not sure if anyone will die in the next episode but it wouldn't be unreasonable. The show hasn't shied from showing injuries for multiple people, and presumably 02's partner from ep 1 died, assuming it was his third time. Might we see Mitsuru start ageing as well?

While character deaths can be a good way to raise the tension, it's something very easy to abuse or use foolishly. If the author casually kills off characters then it can feel like bad writing quite easily - deaths of minor characters simply to raise the tension can backfire or become a joke (the old redshirts problem). I think the most important thing is to make sure there's a sense of tension - that people could die or get injured or otherwise fail. For example, Hiro has a huge death flag over him yet there's also hints that he could survive but we just don't know what the cost will be. He seems calm enough now but what if it's something he couldn't accept?

I expect we'll see some people from plantation 26 die... if not in the next episode then shortly after. Perhaps that will trigger the survivors to lash out at the plantation 13 squad, telling them the dark truth about "children" and "adults".
kari-no-sugata II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-17, 10:13   Link #859
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I'm fairly sure that the people who are calling for character deaths aren't calling for such to be half-assed. I'm assuming they want these deaths to be impactful and well written.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-17, 11:04   Link #860
hayate-sama
お姉さま、君はどこ

Spoiler for Ep 6 Casualty:
hayate-sama is offline   Reply With Quote