AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-03-21, 23:49   Link #61
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
I just ate ribeye steaks, pan-seared and cooked in butter and garlic, with a simple spinach salad with purple onions, parmesan cheese and an olive oil-Tabasco vinaigrette. It was amazing.
Old 2012-03-21, 23:50   Link #62
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I made that salad I talked about wanting to make. It was with dark greens, homemade vinaigrette (olive oil, extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, black pepper, salt), and fresh cooked beets (with fresh cracked black pepper on it). It was good. That was last week. I had a salad again tonight. It was dark greens with a dressing made with just 1 part vegetable oil, 1 part regular olive oil, and 2 parts orange juice, and then it had cut up strawberries, cut up cantaloupe, and seedless red grapes. Was also good.

I'm trying to eat healthier, but tomorrow I'm making reubens.
Old 2012-03-22, 16:24   Link #63
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Well, I kinda got inspired and whipped up a late lunch for a fairly large group of people (about 20).

On the plate was: baba ganoush (a dish from the Middle East of eggplant/tahini patte with various flavors), mkhali (a dish from the country of Georgia of ground up beets and walnut combo with red wine vinegar and various flavors), a green salad with a Balkan tomato/cuke/onion salad drenched in vinegar and olive oil and various spices for about 6 hours before serving on top, rice-stuffed olive oil drenched grape leaves, and a veggie stir fry of mushroom/cabbage/carrot with shrimp mixed in.

It was absolutely DELICIOUS.

Man - I'm still full!

Oh yes - and had some simple home-made sugar cookies in the shape of lizards with green frosting on top for desert.

Don't ask....
Old 2012-03-22, 20:11   Link #64
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Didn't make the reubens, will make them tomorrow instead. Ended up having some rainbow trout (boneless filet) and brown rice cooked in chicken stock with some diced onion cooked with it. The trout had salt and pepper added before pan frying it, and then I put lemon juice on it at the table.
Old 2012-03-22, 21:25   Link #65
SRanger
Remember, no moe.

Everyone in this thread. Cook for me. That is all.
SRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 21:29   Link #66
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I'm far from Illinois, California, and Texas, and also, I don't know how to be in three places at once (how do you do it?!), but I could email you a waffle. Will that do?
Old 2012-03-22, 21:43   Link #67
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

The usual vinaigrette recipes don't do it for me. Either they're too heavy or too vinegary--you just need acid, not necessarily balsamic or red-wine vinegar. And I like my greens to kick a little ass, so I came up with the Tabasco vinaigrette.

It's quite simple, like most vinaigrettes--just mix up a bit of olive oil, water, sea salt and lemon juice--less lemon than you might normally use, by the way--then add Tabasco sauce until the acidity is right. It's delicious on simple green salads, finished with parmesan.
Old 2012-03-22, 21:50   Link #68
SRanger
Remember, no moe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
I'm far from Illinois, California, and Texas, and also, I don't know how to be in three places at once (how do you do it?!), but I could email you a waffle. Will that do?
Haha, I travel throughout the year between the 3 due to school, work (interning), and being back home :P

I will gladly accept an e-waffle!

Question for those that are working: how do you guys have the energy and/or time to make these meals after a mind-numbing day?
SRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 22:12   Link #69
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
The usual vinaigrette recipes don't do it for me. Either they're too heavy or too vinegary--you just need acid, not necessarily balsamic or red-wine vinegar. And I like my greens to kick a little ass, so I came up with the Tabasco vinaigrette.

It's quite simple, like most vinaigrettes--just mix up a bit of olive oil, water, sea salt and lemon juice--less lemon than you might normally use, by the way--then add Tabasco sauce until the acidity is right. It's delicious on simple green salads, finished with parmesan.
I should try a tabasco salad dressing. Maybe even try Frank's Red Hot Sauce instead (maybe mix it with salad oil). I think that'd be good on some hearts of romaine with white meat chicken and bacon. Maybe some garlic butter croutons thrown in.

Edit: Now that I think about it (and I should try a tabasco salad dressing on some dark greens with parmesan), maybe I should try the salad I mentioned, with ranch dressing, and then just coat the chicken in Frank's Red Hot Sauce and then drizzle some of that over the salad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRanger View Post
Haha, I travel throughout the year between the 3 due to school, work (interning), and being back home :P

I will gladly accept an e-waffle!
Your e-waffle has been sent.
Old 2012-03-22, 23:07   Link #70
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Question for those that are working: how do you guys have the energy and/or time to make these meals after a mind-numbing day?
I'm a full-time student, which is actually more stressful than when I was working. I find the energy because it saves money, it's often faster than waiting for delivery and I can eat more things and make them exactly the way I want.

I have a boatload of very simple recipes that require almost nothing in ingredient cost and preparation time. Most of them are quite healthy as well.
Old 2012-03-22, 23:12   Link #71
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
I'm a full-time student, which is actually more stressful than when I was working. I find the energy because it saves money, it's often faster than waiting for delivery and I can eat more things and make them exactly the way I want.

I have a boatload of very simple recipes that require almost nothing in ingredient cost and preparation time. Most of them are quite healthy as well.
Do you happen to have a good number of them online? Links from a journal or something? I'd like to see some of these simple, low cost meals. Good meals that are simple to make, healthy, and don't cost much, well, that is a great combination.
Old 2012-03-22, 23:15   Link #72
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Do you happen to have a good number of them online? Links from a journal or something? I'd like to see some of these simple, low cost meals. Good meals that are simple to make, healthy, and don't cost much, well, that is a great combination.
They're all in my head but I can write them down...
Old 2012-03-22, 23:20   Link #73
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
They're all in my head but I can write them down...
Of course, you don't have to. Only if you want to share some of your favorite ones with some people here.

I have to start documenting some recipes. I started enhancing my cooking in the last four years and have tried a decent number of dishes and recipes for my first time in that time period. There are a lot of dishes and the like (like salsas) that I want to make, and every now and then I find another good idea that I want to try. It is like I have a backlog, like people have backlogs with anime and video games.
Old 2012-03-22, 23:30   Link #74
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
I'm a medical student and usually have little free time, but I only eat out once a month (if that). Cooking for yourself (eating healthier, saving money) is easy, actually. Just be aware that you don't need to make super fancy recipes that involve a lot of steps and complicated ingredients, and you don't need to cook every single day. Refrigerators and tupperware: use 'em.

My usual cooking method is to use a slow cooker. Everything that you throw into there becomes soft; as a result, I don't even cut up meat - just throw it in there, and when the cook cycle is done, the meat breaks apart fairly easily as you mix it around. I like my vegetables soft, so I just throw everything into the slow cooker at once and set it for an eight- or ten-hour cycle. Cook rice or pasta separately, and then I have a meal that lasts me for almost the entire week. (I'm OK with eating the same thing over and over, so I just make one batch per week, and vary what I make each week.)

Using the slow cooker, the total amount of time involved on my end to get everything ready is usually around 10 minutes. The cook cycle is long, so you need to plan ahead. After that, you just dish out what you want and microwave it throughout the week. Easy.

If you have more discerning tastes and want to go through the effort of making fancy things, a possible time-saving measure is to prepare everything on the weekend, but don't bake or cook anything. Just store it, and then when you're ready, throw it in the oven or on the stove. It's still a lot more work than a slow cooker, requires a larger refrigerator, and requires a good supply of cookware, but that way you've accomplished most of the time-consuming (and mind-numbing) prep work when you're more free. The rest is basically a last step and ensures that your food is nice and fresh.
Old 2012-03-23, 00:10   Link #75
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

I learned how to cook in restaurants, so most of my cooking skills revolve around preparing meals that can be pushed out of the kitchen quickly to keep the tables turning. My personal recipes follow this thread as well.

I don't actually have very many recipes I created myself--most are just my own personal attempts at a different dish, but here's a few recipes for those who might be curious about cooking for themselves more often!

Spoiler for Thai green curry variant (so not traditional lol):

Spoiler for cider chicken stew (actually my own recipe):

Spoiler for gordon ramsay's smoked paprika stroganoff:

Good food channels to follow on Youtube!

yellowsaffron
Mostly Italian but they occasionally mix it up. The cast is based out of Italy and the recipes are dubbed into (sometimes hilarious) English.

aeriskitchen
Korean food by a Korean mom in the United States. Her recipes are quick, easy and tasty, though like a lot of ethnic foods can be difficult to find the proper ingredients if you live in an area without a diverse population.

maangchi
More Korean food by a fabulous lady who makes some delicious recipes (though I admit that my Western palate is sometimes afraid to try some of her recipes). Try them out if you've got access to a Korean grocer.

Sorted
British crew with a Youtube cooking show that promotes quick, easy and fast recipes that come together nicely and pack a lot of flavor and are (occasionally) healthy.

I'm sure I can come up with more recipes of my own later on...
Old 2012-03-23, 00:35   Link #76
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
I learned how to cook in restaurants, so most of my cooking skills revolve around preparing meals that can be pushed out of the kitchen quickly to keep the tables turning. My personal recipes follow this thread as well.

I don't actually have very many recipes I created myself--most are just my own personal attempts at a different dish, but here's a few recipes for those who might be curious about cooking for themselves more often!

maangchi
More Korean food by a fabulous lady who makes some delicious recipes (though I admit that my Western palate is sometimes afraid to try some of her recipes). Try them out if you've got access to a Korean grocer.

Sorted
British crew with a Youtube cooking show that promotes quick, easy and fast recipes that come together nicely and pack a lot of flavor and are (occasionally) healthy.

I'm sure I can come up with more recipes of my own later on...
Shortened the post. The curry dish and stroganoff really interest me, and the cider chicken soup sounds pretty interesting. I'd try it.

I bookmarked the Italian youtube channel and British one, too. I don't have an Asian supermarket close to me, so I didn't bookmark the Korean channels. Closest ones are 30 or so minutes away, so I wouldn't be able to get to them often.

I'd like to try more Asian cooking. I'm not familiar with any Korean dishes. Maybe I can make some trips to the Asian supermarket and try for some dishes I'm familiar with, like some Thai dishes. I would like to try making some Chinese food at home. I bet if I put a little time and effort into it, I could make Chinese food that is better than the stuff from restaurants in no time. Around here, it is straight up Americanized Chinese food. In China Town in Boston I could find better Chinese food, but I hear it isn't nearly as good as China Town in San Francisco, and most of the restaurants there aren't as good as what you typically find in China Town in San Francisco.
Old 2012-03-23, 00:45   Link #77
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

If you're not very comfortable in the kitchen it's a bit hard to follow the chicken stroganoff recipe due to the short video and no measurements being given. I just kind of guessed on the measurements and it worked out fine. Usually measurements aren't a big deal except in baking (where several chemical reactions take place and may fail if the proportions are off).
Old 2012-03-23, 00:56   Link #78
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I would do better with a formal recipe. I've gotten better at cooking and I have a knack for cooking, but I just don't know how well I'd do at a dish from a youtube video at around 1 minute and 50 seconds, hehe.

I've tried some new dishes in the past few months, but I've been meaning to make perogies at home (first attempt). Simple potato perogies, with a bit of diced, cooked onion inside of them (just a bit), and then pan sauteed with white onion slices in butter and with salt and pepper, and then served with sour cream.

I read a suggestion for them, serving them with shredded, pan sauteed cabbage (cooked in a good amount of butter and with salt and pepper). I bet a piece of perogie with some of that sauteed cabbage on the same fork would be good.
Old 2012-03-23, 05:49   Link #79
warita
Dai-Youkai

Quote:

I've tried some new dishes in the past few months, but I've been meaning to make perogies at home (first attempt). Simple potato perogies, with a bit of diced, cooked onion inside of them (just a bit), and then pan sauteed with white onion slices in butter and with salt and pepper, and then served with sour cream.
I have polish friends and pierogi is also a national dish of poland..... I ate loads of them during xmas time, when I visited Poland. A very yummie thing to have.

Uhmmm, but I think the fried onion is supposed to go on the top not inside. My absolutely favourite variation of pierogi is the russian pierogi = potato/fresh cheese filling. If you want to make it a bit more fancy, you can add some grilled garlic to it. I learned how to fix the baked garlic extra for this recipe.
If you are interested how to make it (it goes well in mashed potatos as well), this is how to prepare it:

Get an entire head of garlic and cut off the tops of the cloves. Take a large enough sheet of aluminium foil, place the garlic head in the foil, drizzle olive oil over it, close the foil loosely over the garlic and bake it in the oven for 30-4O minutes, until the garlic starts turning dark golden. You might want to open the foil towards the end so that it can brown a little. Once the garlic is done, allow it to cool and then you can easily squeez the inside of the clove by pressing on the skin of the clove.

I ate the best pierogi ever in Krakow on the main train station in a cheep looking pub. I was hungry and wanted to eat something cheap and fast and thats why I entered the pub. They told me the pierogi are like the best in the whole town, which I thought was a shameless exaggeration. Well, it wasnt. They were awesome and the interesting twist to it was the dried dill seasoning on the top. You must know, that I absolutely hate dill and avoid it where I can, but strangely, it was just lovely on the pierogi.

Quote:
Cooking for yourself (eating healthier, saving money) is easy, actually. Just be aware that you don't need to make super fancy recipes that involve a lot of steps and complicated ingredients, and you don't need to cook every single day. Refrigerators and tupperware: use 'em.
Indeed. This is the easiest way for lazy people or people with tight time budgets. Just cook ahead and freeze it.
I personally have trouble eating the same thing over and over and thats why I have a set of really easy recipes that are done in 20min. Most people are amazed how I can whip up something this fast, but really guys, it is just a matter of practice. The more you cook the faster and more skilled you are at it. Usually, I just open the fridge, look whats inside and I decide on the spot what I will do with the ingredients available. This is how some of my tastiest recipes were born, the key to success is hunger and sudden inspiration.

BTW? I invented like the best marinade for chicken skewers EVER!!!! Anybody interested?

Last edited by warita; 2012-03-23 at 06:02.
warita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-23, 12:45   Link #80
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
I would do better with a formal recipe. I've gotten better at cooking and I have a knack for cooking, but I just don't know how well I'd do at a dish from a youtube video at around 1 minute and 50 seconds, hehe.
I found the actual recipe.

http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipe...oganoff-recipe