3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.72%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-09-16, 22:30   Link #81
kaiser11492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherzo09 View Post
First, I feel like its heavily implied those are colonies of the EU Metropolitan countries, not full member states. To kinda walk back what I said earlier, I like the EU being not much better in the area of treating people of Non-European dissent. In fact I have both the EU and Britannia having this as their colonial policy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assimil...rench_colonial). I also give the EU the French and Dutch holdings in Southeast Asia before the Invasion of Japan.

The Post-WWII map for states is kind of annoying, but I can't blame them too much for not putting that much detail in (EU Lesotho is ridiculous though). But as the poster above me said, Napoleon has been retconned so that he's arrested and executed before he can enact the 18th of Brumaire Coup D'etat.

I get around it by having the Britons passively accepting Roman culture instead of having it imposed on them, as obviously Britannia, down to its name, is heavily indebted to Roman Culture, and there's nothing really preventing the Anglo-Saxon invasion. The modern German borders are pretty inexplicable, but really all they'd have to do is add East Prussia and Pomerania and it'd be fine. The EU is basically if the French Revolution had swept up all of Europe.

Mentioned this before but my theory is that it was a war in the 1910s/20s between the EU and the Russian Empire.
It would make the most sense that most if not all of Africa is composed of colonies/protectorates of the European powers. The map of the EU bothered me too, especially the fact that Poland has East Prussia/Pomerania and that there's an independent Ukraine.

And from what has been seen, the EU seems have a radical liberal government similar to that of the Jacobins during the French Revolution. I believe the word "Floreal" (a month in the French Republican Calendar) appears in Leila's book and we see that the epoch of the EU's calendar is the date of the French Revolution 1789 (in real life the Jacobins used 1792 as the epoch). There's also a scene depicting the Notre Dame de Paris in ruins, which could indicate a Jacobin-like government is in place (Jacobins were fierce opponents of the church).

The supposed retcon of Napoleon just makes things more difficult because without the Napoleonic Wars, then Europe's fate would be changed dramatically. I'm also still somewhat hesitant to accept the change regarding Napoleon as a retcon since we have very little info regarding the EU's development. Also if Napoleon was executed before he could seize power, then wouldn't Revolutionary France under the weak, inefficient Directory be snuffed out by the surrounding autocratic monarchies?

In my opinion, the whole story behind Eowyn repelling Julius Caesar sounds more like legend and propaganda. In actual history, Julius Caesar's invasion of the British Isles was repelled, but the Romans successfully invaded them the second time in 43 AD. In fact the first historical Emperor of Japan is regarded to be Jimmu, despite the fact he's considered more of a legend. Like it was said before, Britannia having references to Romano-British culture doesn't mean that the Anglo-Saxons and the Normans played a role in British history.

For anyone who is interested, this is my approach on Code Geass history.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8237789/...tannian-Empire
kaiser11492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-16, 22:54   Link #82
wredsa

Napoleon won against all the monarchs then he was overthrown by the republican and that given the birth of an ideal ( supposedly, we don't know that much about EU ) democratic confedaration.
wredsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-16, 22:55   Link #83
Scherzo09

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser11492 View Post
It would make the most sense that most if not all of Africa is composed of colonies/protectorates of the European powers. The map of the EU bothered me too, especially the fact that Poland has East Prussia/Pomerania and that there's an independent Ukraine.
Well before the Invasion of Japan, I have Britinnian colonial possessions limited to stuff south of the Congo, though it has greatly expanded since then.

Quote:
And from what has been seen, the EU seems have a radical liberal government similar to that of the Jacobins during the French Revolution. I believe the word "Floreal" (a month in the French Republican Calendar) appears in Leila's book and we see that the epoch of the EU's calendar is the date of the French Revolution 1789 (in real life the Jacobins used 1792 as the epoch). There's also a scene depicting the Notre Dame de Paris in ruins, which could indicate a Jacobin-like government is in place (Jacobins were fierce opponents of the church).
I think that is true to a certain extent, and I wish they showed stuff like temples to the Goddess of Wisdom and shit like that, but the OVA kinda shows the Republicanism to be a bit of a pretense, with a Bureaucratic elite staying in powering by pandering to Populists.

Quote:
The supposed retcon of Napoleon just makes things more difficult because without the Napoleonic Wars, then Europe's fate would be changed dramatically. I'm also still somewhat hesitant to accept the change regarding Napoleon as a retcon since we have very little info regarding the EU's development. Also if Napoleon was executed before he could seize power, then wouldn't Revolutionary France under the weak, inefficient Directory be snuffed out by the surrounding autocratic monarchies?
Honestly Napoleon still managing to lose Waterloo is much more inexplicable. It could be that with Britain tied down in British America, probably still suppressing dissidents, that it couldn't manage Europe well. It's also likely that Britain under the Tudors was even more oppressive than it was under the Stuarts, and this lead to a delayed English Civil War which was ignited by the French Revolution. Without the British to worry about, Napoleon could probably achieve his operational objectives on the continent easier, and there was less stress on the Republic's organs of government because the lessened pressure.

Quote:
In my opinion, the whole story behind Eowyn repelling Julius Caesar sounds more like legend and propaganda. In actual history, Julius Caesar's invasion of the British Isles was repelled, but the Romans successfully invaded them the second time in 43 AD. In fact the first historical Emperor of Japan is regarded to be Jimmu, despite the fact he's considered more of a legend. Like it was said before, Britannia having references to Romano-British culture doesn't mean that the Anglo-Saxons and the Normans played a role in British history.
Don't you mean 'didn't'? I actually re-interpret the whole thing into Eowyn impressing Julius so much with Briton's civilization (which he had whipped into shape with some Geass hijinks) that they came to an agreement where Briton voluntarily became a Foederati of the Republic. Of course, after the fall Britannia would still be subject to the Anglo-Saxon and Norman invasions, just like irl..
Scherzo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-16, 23:37   Link #84
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Another weird thing about CG is the lack of a diverse force. Sure, KMF is superior, but they aren't invisible. Actually, in urban welfare, they could be considering sitting turtles (due to the lack of free space,...). And all we seen is that everytime Brittania KMF attack, they rarely go with alterliry and infantry support.

Also, they put too much emphasis on CQB. Something like Bamides or Panzel-Hummel is actually having more advantage on firepower and ammunition (two critical elements). But just because they don't have infantry and melee weapon, they were always depicted as inferior.
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-17, 00:12   Link #85
Kusaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser11492 View Post
Aren't you talking about the map shown after Britannia had already defeated the European forces in season two?

If that is the case, then there's not a real issue there, because the EU originally had all of Europe and all of Africa under its possessions as seen in the older previous maps.
Kusaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-17, 06:11   Link #86
Scherzo09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusaja View Post
Aren't you talking about the map shown after Britannia had already defeated the European forces in season two?

If that is the case, then there's not a real issue there, because the EU originally had all of Europe and all of Africa under its possessions as seen in the older previous maps.
That still doesn't change the fact that the EU's shown having post-WWII boundaries when there's no adequate explanation for why thatd be the case. Doubly so for modern African states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireminer View Post
Another weird thing about CG is the lack of a diverse force. Sure, KMF is superior, but they aren't invisible. Actually, in urban welfare, they could be considering sitting turtles (due to the lack of free space,...). And all we seen is that everytime Brittania KMF attack, they rarely go with alterliry and infantry support.

Also, they put too much emphasis on CQB. Something like Bamides or Panzel-Hummel is actually having more advantage on firepower and ammunition (two critical elements). But just because they don't have infantry and melee weapon, they were always depicted as inferior.
Well, I get the feeling KMFs were partially designed to be more versatile in an urban environment. If anything, they're worse on an open field than a Main Battle Tank because it has such a tall profile which could be seen over tree tops and terrain for miles.

I mean, a lot of it is simply rule of cool, a lot of the time they don't intend to show actual battle tactics. The extent to which there are some in that PV of episode 2 with Urban Combat was pleasantly surprising enough. Infantry really should have something equivalent to the Regina from the One Year War though.

Last edited by Scherzo09; 2013-09-17 at 06:22.
Old 2013-09-17, 12:33   Link #87
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Could we please move the historical/political discussion to more appropriate threads? Interesting though it may be, it's starting to derail the current topic (episode 2 of Akito). Thanks.
Old 2013-09-17, 12:54   Link #88
gordol
Banned

WOW SHITPOSTING GALORE!

Anyway back on topic, 2 interesting pics from lineart:

-A better view on the Vercingetorix Axe, that's full of gears. Seems interesting

-A halberd for Sutherlands that hasn't appeared yet

gordol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-17, 13:11   Link #89
Scherzo09

Sorry, I'll make a new page request and bow out of the discussion here until I've actually seen Ep. 2.
Old 2013-09-17, 14:24   Link #90
DuelGundam2099
Disabled By Request

Is that a Panzer-Hummel in the top right corner of that first picture?
DuelGundam2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-17, 16:42   Link #91
gordol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuelGundam2099 View Post
Is that a Panzer-Hummel in the top right corner of that first picture?
Yep it has appeared in OVA 1 already and on the website

spoiler for OVA 2

Spoiler for ova2:
Old 2013-09-17, 17:38   Link #92
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordol View Post
Yep it has appeared in OVA 1 already and on the website

spoiler for OVA 2

Spoiler for ova2:
Akito looks like he took a dump in his pants...Where did his usual composure go? Is Shin really that much of a badass to make Akito look fearful?
"When there is evil in this world that justice cannot defeat, would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil? Or would you remain steadfast and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?" - Lelouch vi Britannia as Zero.
MK-95- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-17, 22:04   Link #93
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

so when is this episode coming out? or the 3rd episode? I forgot how many i watched of this.
Old 2013-09-17, 23:06   Link #94
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by miroku2192 View Post
so when is this episode coming out? or the 3rd episode? I forgot how many i watched of this.
This episode (ep 2) came out in Jap theatres on Sep 14th. Assuming that we wait for the the subbers to get the bluray/DVD edition & then sub it. We're looking at it coming out (on anime sites) somewhere between June-August 2014. However there is the rare chance that it comes out & gets subbed early...
"When there is evil in this world that justice cannot defeat, would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil? Or would you remain steadfast and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?" - Lelouch vi Britannia as Zero.
MK-95- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-18, 07:40   Link #95
konart

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangakid95 View Post
This episode (ep 2) came out in Jap theatres on Sep 14th. Assuming that we wait for the the subbers to get the bluray/DVD edition & then sub it. We're looking at it coming out (on anime sites) somewhere between June-August 2014. However there is the rare chance that it comes out & gets subbed early...
Akito is the OVA, not a theatrical movie, it won't take too long to release it.
September 14th was just a screening event. They do this often (1st OVA, 24-25 episodes of season 1, first episode of the second season).

I'm pretty sure will get it by November
Old 2013-09-18, 10:40   Link #96
Scherzo09

Quote:
Originally Posted by konart View Post
Akito is the OVA, not a theatrical movie, it won't take too long to release it.
September 14th was just a screening event. They do this often (1st OVA, 24-25 episodes of season 1, first episode of the second season).

I'm pretty sure will get it by November
Don't be so sure. Episode was released in theaters in August of last year, and the Blu-Rays didn't come out until April of this year.
Old 2013-09-18, 11:28   Link #97
gordol
Banned

New images from OVA, beware SPOILERS!

Spoiler for ova 2:
Old 2013-09-18, 12:02   Link #98
Bonzo
I change anime endings.

Send a message via MSN to Bonzo
If that guy is Lelouch, I think they forgot WHAT happened between R1 and R2.
Bonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-18, 12:04   Link #99
Kusaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzo View Post
If that guy is Lelouch, I think they forgot WHAT happened between R1 and R2.
It's called making a change, not forgetting it.

Quote:
Don't be so sure. Episode was released in theaters in August of last year, and the Blu-Rays didn't come out until April of this year.
Episode 1 Releases

August 2012: Theater
October 2012: Playstation Network
January 2013: Blu-Ray

It should be something similar to this.
Kusaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-18, 14:30   Link #100
konart

Quote:
Yeah, but we still had our PSN release, am I wrong?