AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-09-01, 07:33   Link #61
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Haha, exactly. Most people would be too creeped out by the blank stares and the extremely harsh tone.

Watching the raws though, I think their final story arc is handled well as well. I almost forgot how it went though. I'll still be loyally watching the subsequent subs.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-14, 19:50   Link #62
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

This last Friday I watched episode 20.

Spoiler:

The next episode will be interesting, because Michiru and Kaoru will now step on the stage to deal with Pretty Cure. However, I do see conflict coming from within their hearts, specially how Kaoru opened much with Sai's little sister.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-17, 05:48   Link #63
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

A lot of Precure villains died from sheer exhaustion and it seems to be a bit of a norm in Splash Star. That said, the battles in Splash Star is far better than even most Precure fights and obviously, Precure 5's. Precure 5, in its two seasons so far only had like 3 decent fights.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-12, 21:56   Link #64
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Yesterday I managed to watch episode 23, which at the moment is the latest that MFTGX fansubbed so far.

A touching and heartbreaking episode.

Spoiler:
Old 2009-10-03, 17:00   Link #65
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

It's been a long, long while since someone step into this thread.

Basically, Pretty Cure Splash Subs fansub group has stepped up to translate and released subtitled episodes for the reminder half of Pretty Cure Splash Star.

You can view details at their website:
http://pcssubs.wordpress.com/

The gist is that they will pick-up this series from where Mystery Group Translation Fansub X left off, and their subs come from the DVD's , although they will also provide in time sub releases for the earlier episodes that MGTFX had released before.

So far they have released subs for episodes 25 to 27.
Old 2009-10-05, 05:41   Link #66
Zalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage no Tori
'Pretty Cure Twin Stream Splash' makes me think of urination and then when they do the attack all I can think of is ahem..*weewee*. It's quite unintentionally hilarious. Perhaps this is just my dirty mind and I am bad.
No, it's not just you. But we have to assume that the target audience won't see it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido
Yesterday I managed to watch episode 23, which at the moment is the latest that MFTGX fansubbed so far.

A touching and heartbreaking episode.
23 and 24 both were just unbelievably sad. Whether it's this show, Nanoha, Magical Project S, or any other show, Dark Magical Girl plots get me every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
It's been a long, long while since someone step into this thread.

Basically, Pretty Cure Splash Subs fansub group has stepped up to translate and released subtitled episodes for the remaining half of Pretty Cure Splash Star.

You can view details at their website:
http://pcssubs.wordpress.com/

The gist is that they will pick-up this series from where Mystery Fan Translation Group X left off, and their subs come from the DVD's, although they will also provide in time sub releases for the earlier episodes that MFTGX had released before.

So far they have released subs for episodes 25 to 27.
Since PCSS = Me, I'll clarify a bit: my releases of eps 1-24 will be "updates" of MFTGX's releases. Same translations/styles as MFTGX, with some minor edits + DVD source. 25 and onwards are picking up where MFTGX left off.

Splash Star was actually the first Pretty Cure series I started watching, so I had the good fortune of avoiding all the "this is such a ripoff" feelings that others in the thread had. Actually, I should say "delaying," as I felt them in retrospect when I started the first series. So yeah, PCSS contains a lot of the standard Magical Girl elements and cliches, but I wouldn't be watching it if I didn't like or tolerate those to some extent. I view the increased magic/spiritual energy of their attacks as a glorified "Don't try this at home, kids" message, a necessary evil. Overall, it does enough things right to distinguish itself, especially with Michiru/Kaoru and some of the plot twists and action near the end.

As Quarkboy said awhile back, the recently-released ep 28 is very much a retread of S1 ep 42, the "Cures get separated" incident. The yuri overtones are definitely in full swing here. I don't think I even played them up that much in the subs.
Zalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-06, 10:38   Link #67
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

There are so many Pretty Cure's today... O_o;;

Glad I didn't follow this series.
Old 2010-01-30, 18:32   Link #68
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Once again I step in at this thread after a long absence.

This is a post to praise the releases for episodes 25 to 33 at the moment.

BTW, for the record, today aired the last episode to Fresh Pretty Cure in Japan.

Spoiler:
Old 2010-02-26, 22:41   Link #69
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

I apologize for the double posting, but since hardly someone if nobody will step at this thread I will continue to do so to deliver my reviews.

Spoiler:
Old 2010-02-27, 05:50   Link #70
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Having absolute zero knowledge of Pretty Cure but owning a Cure Peach figure...I wonder if I'm treading dangerous ground here:
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-12, 19:34   Link #71
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Congratulations go to Pretty Cure Splash Subs fansubs due that there's only one season of episodes left to conclude the fansubbing of the third Pretty Cure series, and for me it's been a very long, long, and long journey that started little over four years ago.

A season of episodes = 13 episodes more to go.

Spoiler:
Old 2010-05-23, 20:26   Link #72
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

To Zalis, a.k.a. PCSS, thank you very much for the hard-work and effort you have put to deliver each sub releases for Pretty Cure Splash Star. I do not have the right to comment how much it's been a tough job or a trouble for you at investing your time to get this series subbed, because in order to do that I would have to put literally in your shoes to know everything about the fansubbing dealing with the translations, the encoding, the timing, etc.

However, I give you special thanks for delivering the twenty-fourth episode, because that's the one I left before you step-in and continue from where MGTFX fansubs left.

Spoiler:

Regarding the current situation of the Kintolesky arc:
Spoiler:

Recently, the sub for episode 39 has been released. I'm just eleven episodes to conclude Splash Star, but I won't start the finally countdown until the Kintolesky arc is concluded, which I hope it'll be sooner.
Old 2010-06-05, 15:55   Link #73
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Zalis, if you happen to read this post by any chance possible, as of now I'm done with the fourtieth episode and also with the Kintolesky arc.

Spoiler for Episode 39:

Spoiler for Episode 40:

Kintolesky was a cool guy with an interesting personality. He, after all, abide to a sense of honor that none other of the previous Dark Fall ever conceived. To a little extent was moved somehow by Sai and Maki, and yet it was a pity he had to go and been one of the baddies but with honor.

Since this arc's over now that's left are Gohyaan, Akudaikan, and a possible return of Michiru and Kaoru, hence, I begin the final countdown to end Splash Star.

Only nine more episodes to conclude this show.
Old 2010-06-17, 19:40   Link #74
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Even after the very long, long, long, and long hiatus that this show has been for subs releases, still I'm going to miss it very much but mainly for Kaoru and Michiru.

Spoiler for Episode 41 and 42:

So only 7 episodes left to finish this show.
Old 2010-06-22, 02:39   Link #75
Zalis

Quote:
So only 7 episodes left to finish this show.
Ha ha, make that only 6 episodes left to go, now that 43 is out. Watch for a little voice-actor cross-reference that I played up in the subs It's interesting to read back through this thread -- Guido was once a strong Splash Star detractor, but is now the main/only supporter around.

Spoiler:

And if you haven't watched the raws yet, you might find that Splash Star has a few more surprises up its sleeves, once I release the last few episodes.
Old 2010-07-20, 21:35   Link #76
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Zalis, thank you very much for Splash Star releases. I'm done through episodes 43 to 45.

Spoiler:

So for me now they are four more episodes to conclude this show once and for all.
Old 2010-07-21, 13:38   Link #77
Zalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
Zalis, thank you very much for Splash Star releases. I'm done through episodes 43 to 45.

Spoiler:

So for me now they are four more episodes to conclude this show once and for all.
And thank you, Guido, for continuing to post in this thread where no one else will. If it's DBZ-style battles you're after, look no further than the just-released episode 48. It's got all the yelling, power-up charging, fisticuffs, energy attacks, and beam spam that shounen fans could want. But of course, there's no shortage of the personal drama that makes Magical Girl shows so great, either. And now, on to timing the final episode!
Old 2010-07-29, 01:21   Link #78
Nork22

I would like to say thanks Zalis for subbing the rest of the show. I watched only a a few episodes (before hitting the Kaoru/Michiru arc) before dropping anything to do with PreCure until Fresh came out and the DX movie made me go, back and check out the rest of SS. At first I only manage to find the raws and watched all of it the way thru with some understanding, but with subs, a lot of things have been made a bit more sense. Got to say that rewatching 48-49 with subs, has made the rest of the 47 episode of Splash Star oh so worth it.
Old 2010-08-02, 20:49   Link #79
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalis View Post
And thank you, Guido, for continuing to post in this thread where no one else will. If it's DBZ-style battles you're after, look no further than the just-released episode 48. It's got all the yelling, power-up charging, fisticuffs, energy attacks, and beam spam that shounen fans could want. But of course, there's no shortage of the personal drama that makes Magical Girl shows so great, either. And now, on to timing the final episode!
I came very late at getting your releases for the last four episodes due to work. Thankfully, the torrent batch turn very in handy and was able to secure the last four episodes.

Unfortunately, I'm holding myself from watching all the last episodes in one-go, because a feast tastes better when you enjoy the meals one by one.

In ten days, since you released the series in its entirety, including today, I watched episodes 46 and 47, which means I'm almost two and just two episodes away to say "goodbye" to Splash Star.

So, this is it! The final battle arc, but I felt pretty disappointed with the animation quality in those two episodes. If it's the final battle episodes, TOEI should had pumped money from their pockets to boost the animation quality.

Spoiler:
Old 2010-08-14, 20:03   Link #80
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Pretty Cure Splash * Star: Futari Wa Pretty Cure Trilogy Completed, Says Farewell

Unbelievable!

Today is the exact date when I started watching Pretty Cure Splash * Star four and one-half years ago; I began with the first episode on February 14th, 2006 and finished with the last episode today- August 14th, 2010.

As of currently, this has been the only Pretty Cure title in the entire franchise that has taken me that long to finish through the fansubs.

The voyage plus the waiting were not easy but were bearable, because while I remained on stand-by mode for more fansubbed episodes to get released I entertained myself between watching other anime and enjoying my social life in the meantime.

Seriously and honestly, I give and deliver my proper thanks to the following two groups listed below, because had not been for them then Splash Star would have taken ages before seeing in the light of its conclusion throughout the fansub community:

1. Mystery Fansubs Translation Group X: They were like the turtle, slow-paced but steadily consistent. At the start of Splash Star getting broadcasted, they were the first and only group at the time that stepped in to have this third series fansubbed.
Their releases encompassed the first half of the series from the 1st to the 24th episode + the Splash * Star movie.

To me it meant the period from February 14th, 2006 to December 3rd 2008 getting Splash Star fansubs from them, also if I as well count in the Splash Star movie.

2. Finally, Pretty Cure Splash Subs, a.k.a. Zalis, who stepped in to bring us to the fans the second half of the series and thus bringing another saga in the franchise to end. Zalis became very steady and dedicated to this project, which I'm gratefully thankful for.

Zalis releases encompassed the time period from October 3rd, 2009 to July 21st, 2010. Coincidentally, Zalis the date when you released the subs for the last episode happened to be my birthday.

If you ask me, the longest time gap I experienced waiting for the releases happened from October 12th, 2008 to October 3rd, 2009 when I switched from MFTGX fansubs to Pretty Cure Splash Subs fansubs. However, when I looked back I felt that the waiting never existed at all.

Zalis's right that at the beginning of this series, I lambasted and disdain it due that lost much of the style and elements that were prevalent in the first two Pretty Cure series. However, toward the end of the Karehaan arc, my feelings of deprecation for Splash*Star began to soften. Furthermore, once Michiru and Kaoru got introduced at the start of the Dorodoron arc, I welcomed those two new characters with great enthusiasm, since they brought a whole new dimension to the story.

Unfortunately, Splash*Star to me still got rifled with lots of things that flawed it to a certain extent.
1. Many lines exploring the theme about never give-up I found them either too campy or too corny, particularly in the last four episodes.

2. Granted, I said it once and say it again. Flappi and Choppi made the most annoying and insane noises that I could ever digest. Thankfully, I finished this series, so I won't listen to them ever again, unless I crave to get and watch the two Pretty Cure All Stars DX films.

3. Uzainaa were plainly dumb at not resisting the Pretty Cures' attacks. Lots of the fights in this series were overwhelmingly one-sided in favor of the Pretty Cures.

4. However, watching that cat getting a voice and getting a share to fight in one of the last episodes, it became the straw that spilled the drink to me. The cat interfering and becoming the vessel for the Princess was like farfetch'd or the jumping-the-shark moment for this series.
How come I feel for myself that TOEI insulted the intelligence of their target audience by having that cat to talk?

Anyways, just like Splash * Star got too terrible traits, it also got too good traits as well:
5. Michiru and Kaoru added depth to a new dimension, although Kirlia's introduction explored a very similar direction in the original Pretty Cure series.

6. The fights at the latter episodes, particularly the last four episodes, improved and improved, reaching DBZ-style levels.
My favorite fights were Ms. Shitaatare's last battle at episode 32; Kintolesky's last battle on episode 40; Michiru & Kaoru v.s. Moerumba & Kintolesky on episode 43; all four girls vs. Gohyaan in the last two episodes.

7. Splash * Star delivered some good drama potential. My most dramatic and yet favorite episode was the one when Saki lost the softball final-match. It taught her a lesson that within loss one learns to get up to keep walking forward and correct his or her mistakes; I think that one was episode 38.

The last episode packed punch in true DBZ flair and atmosphere.
Spoiler:

The best choice of music this series has is the first ending song. I absolutely loved it, and I smile when they inserted it to play at the closing moments of the last episode.

Overall, it took me 54 months to complete Splash * Star, but the wait was worth it. With this, I completed the entire trilogy. Why trilogy you're asking me? That's because Splash * Star was the last Pretty Cure series to bear the legend "Futari Wa" in its title. Starting with Yes! Pretty Cure 5 and onwards, TOEI dropped the traditional title.

Tags
magical girl, school life